What Panels are in the PANASONIC TC-40A420U & TC-50A400U - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-28-2014, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What Panels are in the PANASONIC TC-40A420U & TC-50A400U

What Panels are in the PANASONIC TC-40A420U & TC-50A400U ?

I CALLED PANASONIC & SERVICE CENTERS, WENT TO STORES & 0 INFO

PANASONIC SHOULD BE FINED FOR NOT HAVING THIS INFO READILY AVAILABLE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-29-2014, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
bump
post #3 of 6 Old 11-15-2014, 11:14 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 176
I'd be curios to know a little more about the 50A400U as well, since it's on sale BF. Reviews of the European 50A400B are not positive though. The color, contrast and calibration features sound pretty abysmal on that display.

ADU
post #4 of 6 Old 11-16-2014, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Mfrs are not required to list specifically what kind of panels they use. A lot of that is due to panel availability at time of build, panel size, etc. As far as BF goes, I'd be very careful about purchasing a tv, especially if you can't find any specs on that model. Some dealers have models configured for them specifically for BF. That way you can't price match nor compare specs.
ADU likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-16-2014, 03:02 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The Panasonic is already fairly cheap at bestbuy. I'm actually interested in picking either this one or the sony KDL40R380B for the same price. If anyone finds anything out I'd be interested as I am trying to compare the two.
post #6 of 6 Old Yesterday, 12:39 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Mfrs are not required to list specifically what kind of panels they use. A lot of that is due to panel availability at time of build, panel size, etc. As far as BF goes, I'd be very careful about purchasing a tv, especially if you can't find any specs on that model. Some dealers have models configured for them specifically for BF. That way you can't price match nor compare specs.
Makes sense. The Panny 50A400U is on display at my local BB, and I had a chance to look it over and tinker with the picture settings a few day ago. It looks like this is probably similar to the British 50A400B model, which received poor reviews. Contrast, color and off-axis viewing seemed quite poor, and blacks had a definite blue "haze" to them. And there are no CMS, calibration, gamma or white balance controls in the regular user menus.

By comparison, the color, blacks and contrast looked reasonably good (for a low-cost display) on the Sony 40R380B after a few tweaks, even though it lacked real calibration controls. The Sony 40R380B also has very poor angle of view though... and it's smaller and also more expensive than the BF deal on the 50A400U.

If you're using a PC as your sole/primary source, then it might be possible to tweak the color a little better on the Panny 50A400U using a colorimeter and the PC's external CMS. That would sacrifice even more contrast ratio though. So you're sort of damned if you do, and damned if you don't with this display.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; Yesterday at 12:53 PM.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page