Is 3D worth it? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-28-2014, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is 3D worth it?

Shopping for a 70" tv....is the 3D thing really worth it? How often do you find yourself really using it? Not sure if I should try to find a comparable set in 2D that is a bit less, or just go "mainstream" with the 3D. How much content is out there in 3D?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2014, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 53
There's plenty of 3D Blu-rays. For me, it turned out to be more of a once in a while novelty. If you can find a 3D set that's close in price to a regular one, then of course, go for the 3D. But, if I could go back and save $300 or more dollars, I'd probably skip the 3D. Ask yourself this: do you find yourself wanting to go see 3D movies in the theater all of the time? If not, you probably won't find 3D on your home set any more than a novelty. I find that my eyes are usually tired by the end of an hour and a half 3D movie. I certainly don't have the desire to watch more than one every couple of months and even that is a generous estimate for me. Everyone is different, but I don't think there's too many people who watch more than a few of them every couple of months, at the most. If you have kids, they'd probably really like it, but even then, I don't know how useful it is. I have a 9 year old daughter and even she doesn't care for it more than once in a while.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORTex View Post
Shopping for a 70" tv....is the 3D thing really worth it? How often do you find yourself really using it? Not sure if I should try to find a comparable set in 2D that is a bit less, or just go "mainstream" with the 3D. How much content is out there in 3D?
With things like DTS-MA (high def audio) or 1080P (high def video) there's no argument: pretty much everyone loves them and agrees they are great. 3D is different as it seems to be a very personal decision. There's really no right or wrong answer.

My wife and I enjoy 3D - a lot. The immersive experience seems more engaging and enjoyable. We purchase 3D blu-rays as there's no inexpensive source for content (that I've found). We don't have kids, so no worries about 3D glasses getting trashed.

That said, some people find the experience distracting and gimmicky. I've heard that there are even folks who find the 3D nauseating or fatiguing.

Best advice I can give you is see a movie at someone's house. My favorites are Avatar, Life of Pi, Avengers, World War Z, Imax Hubble, Man of Steel, and Gravity.

If you find 3D great/cool/fun/exhilarating - then prioritize 3D in your purchase decision. Anything less, don't prioritize it at all. Why do I say this, given that I love 3D? The lack of content means that you will pay a premium for 3D...that can be an expensive hobby over time.

For us, we're hooked and absolutely love watching 3D in our cozy home theater!

Television: Panasonic TCP60-GT50
A/V Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-65
Satellite: Dish Hopper with Sling
Fronts and Rears: Polk Audio (Vanishing Series) RT-65; Center: Polk Audio (Vanishing Series) 255-RT; Subwoofer: Definitive Technology Supercube 2000
3D Blu-Ray Player: Oppo BDP-93; Turntable: Pro-Ject Debut Carbon
Old 08-29-2014, 02:50 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Must admit I always thought 3d was a pretty average gimmicky sales pitch but after replacing my 6yr old samsung hd passive 3d with led/lcd active 3d I'm hooked on 3d for me it's a much more almost interactive way of watching a movie, I just need more in my collection lol
Old 08-29-2014, 03:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 84
3D is a neat effect. Titles can be found on sale with little or no additional cost.
It seems to be here to stay. You should try to watch some before deciding if it's for you.
Most movies are just as entertaining without the effect and some more so.
Hitchcock's 'Dial M For Murder' from 1953 is an exception to that rule because of the
historical curiosity of the format's golden age (but it also leaves you with crossed eyes!).
The WIzard of Oz from 1939 is an exception as well because of the amount of restoration
that was done before 3D was applied -- it is simply stunning. I could go on...
Old 08-29-2014, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I am personally fond of the 3D, as I also love 3D animated films.

However, I find a great difference between active and passive 3D in a 4k set. I would never buy passive 3D in a 2k set, but in a 4k set, it is amazing. Surpassing the 3D from the cinema and becoming truly involving. You do not have the heavy/expensive glasses, you do not have the "flicker" (which gives my wife headaches) and you do not have the loss of light that active has.

The real answer is "try it out for yourself". I for one would not buy a new set without it.

"Read Less, More TV." - Dr. Gregory House

"That which can not be questioned, can not be trusted." - Me

The Metropolis Home Theater

Blue Smoke Entertainment Systems - Affiliated
Old 08-29-2014, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
As a general rule, if you enjoy 3D at the theater, then chances are you'll also enjoy them at home. It's a personal preference. And aside from movies, some of the most jaw-dropping, realistic 3D are found in documentaries. The Attenborough 3D collection trumps all 3D movies I've seen.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 276
At first I thought 3D was nothing more then a gimmick. That is until I watched Avatar, Pacific Rim, Gravity, Polar Express and a Christmas Carole. They were mind blowing! Then I watched the same movies on my Sony W900A and the experience was even better. So is 3D worth it? It depends on the display and the movie in my opinion. To me its worth it.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
...is the 3D thing really worth it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
... some of the most jaw-dropping, realistic 3D are found in documentaries. The Attenborough 3D collection trumps all 3D movies I've seen.
A resounding YES and an enthusiastic agree to Attenborough BBC nature documentaries. My kids, who are usually bored to tears with nature shows, get enraptured (as am I) with BBC's 3D nature shows. It's simply amazing. You have to see it to believe it.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Can you provide a link to these documentaries? Would like to check them out.

Thanks

"Read Less, More TV." - Dr. Gregory House

"That which can not be questioned, can not be trusted." - Me

The Metropolis Home Theater

Blue Smoke Entertainment Systems - Affiliated
Old 08-29-2014, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterS View Post

Thanks
The one I bought is David Attenborough: The 3D Collection

Link to the review thread here - David Attenborough The 3D Collection Review
Old 08-29-2014, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
The one I bought is David Attenborough: The 3D Collection

Link to the review thread here - David Attenborough The 3D Collection Review
That's the one. I don't think it's been released in the US but I snagged an UK version which is region free. It seems more and more titles that are released as 3D overseas get only 2D releases in the States.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

However, I find a great difference between active and passive 3D in a 4k set. I would never buy passive 3D in a 2k set, but in a 4k set, it is amazing. Surpassing the 3D from the cinema and becoming truly involving. You do not have the heavy/expensive glasses, you do not have the "flicker" (which gives my wife headaches) and you do not have the loss of light that active has.

The real answer is "try it out for yourself". I for one would not buy a new set without it.
I'm just the opposite. I find that 2k passive 3D blows away 2k active 3D, both of which I've owned. You lose some resolution with passive but more than make up for it with better 3D debth, no flicker, virtually no crosstalk, and brighter image and more accurate color. With passive 3D I can even watch a movie during the daytime with just the blinds being closed, no where near the total darkness needed for active 3D. Ideally, of course, the best 3D would be passive 4K.

In order of preference for 3D I would go passive 4K, passive 2K, active 4K, active 2K.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I've only used active glasses, but I've used them on 2 different 70" sets.
The first one, 2 years ago, had rechargable batteries that were kind of heavy and a nuisance.
The new one uses replaceable batteries that have 100 hours life and are much lighter weight.
Both sets were Sharp Quattron, and had plenty of brightness and full high definition picture.
The new set -- a 70" UQ17U -- seems to handle the 3D better, with no noticeable flicker and
with more vivid color rendition. I don't think I would like a film with only half the resolution
of the HDTV standard -- I tried some sets at BestBuy with passive images and I saw a raster
pattern like an old style TV. So, it's to each their own. Passive with 4K would probably look
as good or better than my active HDTV, but I have already spent enough for a while yet...
Old 08-29-2014, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
passive 3D

Quote:

Did you buy a passive LG? I am at a loss as to what would be best to but any more. I was going to buy the LG UB9500 But the reviews of LG 's customer service are awful. HELP
Old 08-29-2014, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
3D is a distraction. So no.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by darealist View Post
Like color? Or those "pesky black bars" at the top and bottom of the screen?
To each their own / Live and Let Love I says
Old 08-29-2014, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEastSide View Post
There's plenty of 3D Blu-rays. For me, it turned out to be more of a once in a while novelty. If you can find a 3D set that's close in price to a regular one, then of course, go for the 3D. But, if I could go back and save $300 or more dollars, I'd probably skip the 3D. Ask yourself this: do you find yourself wanting to go see 3D movies in the theater all of the time? If not, you probably won't find 3D on your home set any more than a novelty. I find that my eyes are usually tired by the end of an hour and a half 3D movie. I certainly don't have the desire to watch more than one every couple of months and even that is a generous estimate for me. Everyone is different, but I don't think there's too many people who watch more than a few of them every couple of months, at the most. If you have kids, they'd probably really like it, but even then, I don't know how useful it is. I have a 9 year old daughter and even she doesn't care for it more than once in a while.
I wouldn't necessarily use that as the litmus test though. 3D at home can and often is far more enjoyable than in commercial cinema (ymmv). My brother-in-law was long on the "3D is just gimmick" "3D sucks!" bandwagon that's apparently so trey chic to be on these days. And then he visited for a weekend and watched "The Avengers", "Prometheus", and "Megamind" on our 75" LaserVue and was blown away. Actual quote during "The Avengers": "It's... like I'm seeing this movie for the first time". And "This is sooo much better than at the theater". Etc.

I know it's not for everyone, and I have no desire for every single thing I watch (on screen) to be in 3D, but I'd say 1 out every 4 or 5 films we watch is in 3D these days and we and our company always enjoy it. If you don't like it no worries, but might want to give it a fair shake. If you dislike it, dislike because you dislike it, and not because it's popular in some circles to chant "3D is dead" (it's not by a long shot).

Last edited by Hagenstein; 08-29-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked: 572
For true moving pictures' artists and lovers of cinema; yes, 3D is awesome. ...Picture wise, and sound wise (elevated Dolby Atmos).
Old 08-30-2014, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 224
It is a personal preference really. No right or wrong answer. However, a lot of things have be done right to make it worth it. From how the movie was shot and how it was mastered to the type of 3D decoding you are watching. One of Ultra HD greatest selling points is that it allows for arguably the best 3D home experience by offering passive viewing with greater than HD resolution (3840x1080) and with the same cheap light weight glasses used in theaters.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No 3D is a waste of time to me. I have a 3d Tv and don't ever use it for 3D. I wish I got a cheaper option without 3D.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darealist View Post
Pretty girls in 3D are a distraction to you?
Old 09-13-2014, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deihmos View Post
No 3D is a waste of time to me. I have a 3d Tv and don't ever use it for 3D. I wish I got a cheaper option without 3D.
3D TVs are better @ 2D pictures. ...Most generally.

And 3D people make better lovers. ...In bed. ...Most generally.