Vizio M501d-A2R Black Flash on bottom - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-31-2014, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Vizio M501d-A2R Black Flash on bottom

Hey guys, thanks for looking. Recently my M501d-A2R developed a flashing bar on the bottom of the screen, it covers roughly 1/3rd of the screen. Not sure if it updated or not since the wife has been using it. Primary use is Netflix and Hulu hardwired. However the PS3 through HDMI is displaying the same results. The flashing is a constant pattern, on blacks the flashed area is darker, on light colors the flash is the same color. One weird thing is when I have the Menu pulled up the text is fuzzy in the flash area, however when the flash happens the text is clear. I have tried leaving the tv unplugged for a while, extensively lowering thee back light and all of the settings with no change. Any guess on something to try would be appreciated. The following youtube links do a decent job of showing what is going on.
Thanks, still making payments on this thing, don't have the funds to buy a new one. Warranty ended in June.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-31-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Horizontal double image on LCD Tv's is almost always bad news. Usually it means there is a defect in the LCD Display Panel (the whole screen is bad). The only fix for that is a new screen which costs almost as much as a new Tv. If I were you, I would contact Vizio even though the Tv is just out of warranty. If you purchased the Tv with a credit card then check wiht the card company if they extend warranty (some are 2 years).
post #3 of 5 Old 09-01-2014, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks hammerdwn, replaced a few capacitors on smaller lcds in the past. Never messed with an LED. I will post an update if Vizio does anything. If for some fluke I figure something else out Ill update as well. Thanks for the advice.
post #4 of 5 Old Today, 08:37 AM

Hey rarack22, I own the exact same television and this exact problem started for me a few days ago.

Were you able to resolve this?

Thanks!
post #5 of 5 Old Today, 08:17 PM

Hello,
I found this forum while searching Google "Vizio M501d-a2r black flash"

All of a sudden, my tv started doing this last night. I've tested it on the following:
HDMI to cable box - black flashing
HDMI to PS3 - black flashing
HDMI to Roku3 - black flashing
Vizio Apps Amazon - black flashing

I bought this tv in January of 2014, wouldn't expect it to die out already.

Here's a couple youtube videos that I took showing what's happening:
youtube(dot)com/watch?v=8NDTzAg3ww4
youtube(dot)com/watch?v=_HgUFbCz__w

I've submitted the info to Vizio and am waiting on their response. Until then, does anyone have an easy fix, or is it going to cost too much to fix and it'd be cheaper to get another one instead?

Thanks,
Chris.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread