Buying demo models - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-01-2014, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Buying demo models

I know there was a post on this but it was made in 2008. I was wondering if anything has changed in technology where demo models might not take as much damage nowadays compared to their predecessors.

I ask this because I recently found a Sharp LC60C8470U as a demo model being sold for $840 CAD with a 1 year warranty. Amazon.com still sells it for $1750 USD so the price is very good. I went to check it out and they have it back in its box.

From speaking to the sales associate, he says that it used to be in their viewing room which is a darkly lit room and is on for 8-9 hours per day.

As a demo model, what are some things I should look for or worry about if I were to buy this tv? I'm really tempted to buy it but at the same time am a little wary that it was a demo model.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-01-2014, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Try to get the total number hours of use if possible. That will give you an idea of how much theoretical life is left in the panel. Look for any obvious cosmetic damage or issues. Find out if it was ever repaired. Make sure all of the control functions work as you would expect. Exam the panel carefully for scratches what ever.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-01-2014, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

I've tried googling if there was a way to check through the tv the hours of use but no luck with sharp tv's. I'll have to check the box for the manufacture date and calculate from there.

Thanks!

Have you owned a demo tv before? Did you have any issues?
post #4 of 5 Old 09-01-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Some tv's have a menu function that allows you to see the hours of use, serial numbers, etc. The store should be able to tell you at least when they started to demo it and you could calculate from there using the store's hours of operation as a time reference. The mfr specs may also give the MTBF for the panel to give you an idea of the end-point. No, I have never owned a demo or wanted too. Even if the price is really good (if it's too good to be true...) I just don't trust a demo because you never really know how it was treated or what it went thru.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-01-2014, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Ahh okay that makes sense. Thanks! I might just hold out and wait new tvs to drop in price then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays