Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-06-2014, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Vizio E390i-A1 Gamma

Hello everyone,

I just purchased a refurbished Vizio E390i-A1 HDTV. I can't seem to find a set of picture settings that looks good on a variety of channels & shows. I checked the gamma, and it's showing that it's rather low and variable. It appears to vary between ~1.0 (~50% luminance) and 1.7 (10% luminance). I also have a 32" Vizio (E320i-A0 ) that has very good picture quality and has a 2.2 gamma.

Does anyone else have the E390i-A1, and if so, what gamma are you seeing? I don't know if my TV is defective, or if this is normal for this model. I've also noticed that when I first turn on the TV, the screen is all blue. After 3-4 seconds, it turns neutral. I realize that this is not normal, but I don't know if it's something that will likely get worse over time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-13-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Did you turn off the ambient light sensor? That has a big impact.

As for the blue on warm-up, that doesn't sound good. If it turns out to be caused by the main board, I can tell you I just replaced mine for just $75 and it was a piece of cake. Mine got fried by a power surge on my LAN connection (don't ask).
post #3 of 5 Old 09-13-2014, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I turned off the ambient light sensor. In fact, I have all the "options" turned off including active dimming. Now that I've been using the TV for a little while I've noticed that the blue screen issue only happens when the input is set to TV mode. If I have it set to one of the HDMI inputs, it's fine. Also, while the blue screen happens most of the time I turn the set on, occasionally it will turn on normally.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-19-2014, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 377
I just calibrated my 390i as best I could using my Disney WOW disc. I have no instruments, but it indicates my gamma is around 1.9. How exactly would you adjust it, by tweaking the RGB gain or intensity? My other settings turned out to be significantly different than those posted on CNET. I've also found that leaving active dimming on really makes the blacks pop without crushing.

I also wanted to post my remote code findings. I have found that discrete on/off codes posted elsewhere (remotecentral, etc.) do work on this set. But no discrete inputs commands exist like they do in the 500i (I tried every possibility). I have found no way to go directly to any input with a single command. I was hoping at least Ch+/- would switch to the tuner input to give me a consistent starting point, but it doesn't.

Getting back to that blue screen, have you checked all the connectors on the main board and the driver board? Perhaps something is a little loose and eventually makes contact after warm up. But since it only happens only with the tuner, could be a cold solder joint.

Finally, I just scored a great deal on a full QWERTY remote for this model (and many others), only $10.99 shipped. Mine was mint.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271346393430

Last edited by mdavej; 09-19-2014 at 12:38 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-23-2014, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I haven't taken the TV apart, and probably won't unless it stops working. There isn't a gamma adjustment on this model, so I don't think that there is a simple way to change it. I'm disappointed with the consistency of the picture. Some shows and some scenes within a show look great, other scenes seem to have either crushed blacks or smoky blacks. Also, high-key flesh tones have an odd coloration, it's hard to describe it. By contrast, the Vizio 32" set looks great on practically all shows/scenes. I would be thrilled if the 39" looked as good as the 32".

I bought a similar remote (with the alpha-numeric keypad on the back) from Amazon.com for $10 & change. It works fine with the E390i-A1 and also with my 32" Vizio (forget the model number).
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - E390i-A1 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page