Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-13-2014, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sharpness on sub $1000 TVs

Hi,

yesterday i bought cheap TV and it would be actually quite nice if it was sharp . I have 1080p input, but whatever sharpness setting i tried it still was not 100% sharp.

Is this normal on TVs? It is my first
Any sub $1000 sold in EU recommendation that can do 100% sharp picture from input source?

Another thing i noticed was that in overall flush scenes it turned black to gray, which was probably caused by contrast, even letterbox was transformed from black to light gray. Is this also common on TV?

Until now i had projector and i don't think there was any contrast setting at and pixel mapping was perfect so i'm kinda confused here what is just cause by low end tv set and what to expect on all TVs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-13-2014, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by evlo View Post
Hi,

yesterday i bought cheap TV and it would be actually quite nice if it was sharp . I have 1080p input, but whatever sharpness setting i tried it still was not 100% sharp.

Is this normal on TVs? It is my first
Any sub $1000 sold in EU recommendation that can do 100% sharp picture from input source?

Another thing i noticed was that in overall flush scenes it turned black to gray, which was probably caused by contrast, even letterbox was transformed from black to light gray. Is this also common on TV?

Until now i had projector and i don't think there was any contrast setting at and pixel mapping was perfect so i'm kinda confused here what is just cause by low end tv set and what to expect on all TVs.
It's difficult to diagnose your situation when you fail to ID the panel model# - if you share this other owners can offer advice from their shared experience. Please help us help by sharing.

Buying a Budget panel has it's drawbacks. On a high end panel you typically don't really need to Use little to none Sharpness. I own one budget panel in our guest room that I use to video game a 50" Panasonic LCD E50 series (last year's) and it actually gives a pretty good quality pic and decent blacks for a $750 TV but of course it cannot match my Samsung 65F8000 or 60D but they cost me four times the money. I'm quite happy with the Panasonic for what I use it for but I'd never park it in my HT Room for primary use unless my financial resources disappeared.

Best bet is to AUDITION panels until you find one that meets your sharpness preference naturally without artificially using it as it can cause other issues in PQ/Clarity. I owned a Sony 70R550 >$2K last year for 24 hours and returned to Amazon and no matter what I did with menu it had no clarity and simply horrendous PQ even at that price it could not come close to the Sharps, Sony's, Samsung's I'd owned in the past. I'd never seen a Sony look that bad.

Like I said help us help you by ID the panel. Good Luck!

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #3 of 4 Old 09-13-2014, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

It was SENCOR SLE 48F10M4 and i already returned it, which is local brand, most likely manufactured by vestel. Other then this issue it also displayed some green objects as blue
post #4 of 4 Old 09-14-2014, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

What i don't get after trying samsungs in the the shop is why is it so hard for tv manufacturers to do 1:1 pixels, lcd displays for PC don't have any problems with it. I noticed it was best on LG, where is option for "just scan", but i guess the display was too good, so ~10GB 1080p bluray rip i tried on it looked horrible and all the compression artifacts were visible - color gradients were not smooth etc.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page