Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ph8te

post #1 of 7 Old 09-16-2014, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How does anyone actually make a purchase decision on a big tv??

I've looked at TV's in stores...and was consistently impressed by Sharp. Read about them on here though, and there are lip sync lag issues, quality issues, etc. Crap.

Had someone recommend a Vizio M series....price is good, reviews on Best Buy and Amazon are good...but then on here the reviews are iffy at best.

Look at Sony...and the reviews are just meh, and the price is high.

Samsung loves their curved glass thing, which I hate....and reviews are dicey.

At this pace, I'll never make a purchase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-17-2014, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 409
People in these forums are hyper critical, you may never notice most of the issues that are brought up or discussed here. The best thing you can do is find a TV that you are interested in, research so you know what issues to look for or that youll have to deal with and make a decision based off of that. Most of the time its what are you willing to live with? Once you answer that question and\or factor what is\isn't important to you it will make things easier. If you listen to people on the forums you'll never purchase a TV the nature of the forums however will bring to light almost every single issue that could occur.
PingEye2 likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-17-2014, 02:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Ph8te is right -- the forum is a place where people come with problems to solve.
People who are happy with the product are generally not going to be writing about them.
I have had 2 Sharp Aquos TVs in the past 3 years and I have liked both of them just fine.
They are bright and crisp and the colors are generally strong and accurate.
You should trust your own eyes -- I would never buy a TV that I couldn't see in person first.
This limits my choices, but I am critical of picture quality.
If you get a Sharp set, I would recommend that you use some simple calibration settings
that you can find in this thread. It makes all the difference on these sets with the extra pixel.
Happy hunting!
post #4 of 7 Old 09-17-2014, 05:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Once you narrow your choices down to a specific budget, and the criteria that are most important to you, the decision actually becomes fairly straightforward. That's not to say that you get everything you're looking for - it's typically a compromise of some sort between what you want, and what you can afford. Last summer, I wanted a TV that was 70", had passive 3D, for around $2k. Well, only two TVs fit that bill last year, and one of them wasn't available in Canada. So, in essence, the choice was made for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-17-2014, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Unless it is a high end shop it is difficult to see how the display will preform in your home lighting environment with a quality feed. The first thing to establish is price and size and then the features you want like 4K, OLED, FALD, 3D, WCG, HDR etc. Then read reviews from established A/V websites. Narrow it down and then try to buy from a place with a good return policy in case the set does not live up to your expectations.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-17-2014, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I would suggest deciding based on the items that are most important to you. For example, someone that watches in a dim room is likely to care more about black-level performance than someone that watches with a lot of light in the room. There are similar personal considerations for things like off-axis performance, screen reflections, uniformity, etc. Every single TV is built to sell at a certain budget, and even the 65" Sony retailing at $7000 isn't perfect. All consumer displays are going to have some compromises in order to sell at the selected price. In my opinion the only thing that really matters is if you can live with those design choices. No matter how much people like to talk up various "must-have" features, every TV model has some strengths and weaknesses, so I would suggest choosing from the models that best fit your interests.

While I have read a certain amount of TV reviews and forum gibberish, ultimately I bought what I preferred most for the price. After the TV was delivered I found that my 70" W850B has the non-uniformity discussed here, it has the backlight dimming and color gamut items mentioned in the Cnet review, and I still prefer the screen-finish from my prior TV for bright room lighting. If I had seen the non-uniformity before buying I might have instead went with the 60" version, but in the end I decided to keep the TV because there are simply more items I like than the few items I dislike. Most of the things I like about my TV are somewhat subjective and little more than personal preference. On a forum that purports to be science-based, personally I'd feel a little silly gushing why I like my TV, so personally I'm okay with the discussions about things that are technical deficiencies.

post #7 of 7 Old 09-17-2014, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Audition - Audition Audition and buy when one makes you pull your wallet out.

But, understand your rooms environment brightness, sun, reflections - beforehand and decide what features YOU will use and want also. Look, there is NO perfect panel here, not even a $120K panel reaches those levels - if there is please link it - been here ten years and never seen one. The closest I ever saw was the Sony Qualia 70" priced at $13K about ten years ago.

Make your checklist, audition and know your budget and then BOOM let your eyeball WoW Factor Rule! Good Luck!

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page