AVS Forum banner

***Official 2014 Vizio P Series Owner's Thread

2M views 18K replies 1K participants last post by  Xinhua 
#1 · (Edited)
(UPDATED 2/4/15 Another new review (from 4K) out...

======================================

LINKS TO REVIEWS OF 2014 VIZIO P SERIES:

review from 4K:
http://4k.com/tv/review-vizio-p-series-4k-tvs-50-70-inches-affordable-top-shelf-technology/

"Whatever minor flaws the Vizio TVs do offer are more than offset by their sheer affordability. These are not your typical crappy budget 4K TVs from unknown brands, they really deliver while sticking to budget prices."

Updated CNET review of FW 1.1.14/1.1.16: http://www.cnet.com/products/vizio-p552ui-b2/2/

"Black level: The 65-inch P series is capable of delivering a very deep level of black and superb contrast for an LCD TV. In most of the demanding dark scenes from "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2," it was neck-and-neck with the Samsung PNF8500 plasma (and often surpassed it) for second-deepest blacks in the lineup, trailing only the exceedingly expensive Sony."

Updated review from HeronFidelity on FW 1.1.14/1.1.16:
http://www.heronfidelity.com/blog/update-vizio-p-series-ultra-hd.html

"Almost there
The Vizio P-Series Ultra HD television isn't videophile-grade, but the latest update barely nudged it into a value 4K UHD recommendation. Calibration benefits any TV, and it's a must for the Vizio P-series to fully realize its picture potential. "

http://hdguru.com/vizio-4k-ultra-high-definition-p652ui-b2-review/#more-14529

"Given our preference for accuracy over enhancement, HD Guru sees no choice but to award the Vizio P652ui-B2 1 out of 5 Hearts, our lowest rating."

http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/podcast...ast-658-vizio-p702uib3-ultra-hd-tv-review.php

"Conclusion We are at the beginning of the Ultra HD transition and you may wonder if its too early to switch. One can argue that it is, but if you have a Blu-ray player or a 15Mbps Internet connection you really don’t have to wait. The Vizio P702ui-B3 will take those platforms and make them better! We can’t wait for 4K Blu-ray!"

http://televisions.reviewed.com/content/vizio-p652ui-b2-p-series-4k-led-tv-review

"The P652ui-B2 may be the most value-packed we've reviewed this year."

http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/vizio/p-series

"The Vizio P Series is an exceptional 4k LED TV at a competitive price. It isn't without flaws (no LED TV is perfect), but it has an overall great picture quality.

P60 Overall Rating: 8.4
  • +Great black uniformity, even with local dimming turned off. It also has a better gray uniformity than the M Series.
  • +Very bright. It currently holds our maximum white luminance record.
  • +Very low input lag and great features to control the motion blur, which is great for gaming. However, it has a very long trail on full color transition.
  • -Poor viewing angle. The colors change significantly when you view it at an angle [greater than 21 degrees]."

LINKS TO PRE-REVIEWS OF 2014 VIZIO P SERIES:

http://televisions.reviewed.com/content/vizio-p652ui-4k-led-tv-first-impressions-review

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/23/6832447/vizio-p-series-4k-tv-release-date-pricing

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...fficially-debuts-p-series-led-lcd-uhdtvs.html

http://www.cnet.com/videos/vizio-p-series-how-good-can-a-cheaper-4k-tv-look/

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...nds-vizio-pseries-ultra-hd-launch-event/18055

LINKS TO 4K CONTENT FOR VIEWING ON THE VIZIO P (OR ANY 4K TV):
[provided by Ph8te]

Tears of Steel
http://mango.blender.org/download/
Big Buck Bunny
http://bbb3d.renderfarming.net/download.html
Sintel
http://download.blender.org/durian/movies/
Random:
http://box.houkouonchi.jp/4k/
Random:
http://demo-uhd3d.com/
Other:
http://ultravideo.cs.tut.fi/#testsequences

Also, it appears that Youtube does offer some HQ 4k videos that are high bitrate to get these follow these steps:
1. Get a download plugin (Flashget is what I use)
2) go to Youtube and find a 4K video (example http://youtu.be/eYqIEBpbRhg?list=UUQn7aX0JAIfH0KVL7nqUzjw)
3) for flashget once the video starts playing you will see the "media icon" become available in the top right of firefox
4) Click the icon and look for the "highres" media file.
5) select either the webm or mp4 (I have found that webm while having no audio has the higher bitrates and larger files size when both webm and mp4 "highres" versions are available)
6) You can download the separate audio file as well and then use a program to "mux" the audio and video together.
7) Once complete you should see the file available in your selected download location., you should now be able to play this file as you would any media file. You may need to update your codecs if you are running an out of date pack.

First owner reports of the new Vizio P Series are starting to come in and this thread has been started to capture them.

Specs of the P Series are summarized below.

It is now clear from the Vizio website that different sizes of the P Series are based on different panel types. Vizio did not make this clear within their specifications until recently (and absolute shame on them for that :-( but the spec on viewing angle was a hint).

55" P Series has been confirmed to have an IPS LCD panel (so poor black level performance when viewing in a dark room).

70" P Series is confirmed to be based on a Sharp VA-type LCD panels (so ~5X better black levels). For dark-room viewing, the early owner's of the 70" P Series express greater satisfaction with the black levels than the one owner of the 55" (though new P55 owners have since emerged that are happy with the P55 for dark-room viewing). The 70" has a reported issue with perfect red calibration but most consider that it is not noticeable unless next to perfectly calibrated TV.

65" P Series is based on a VA-type panel. The 65" P has the same 178°/178° viewing angle as the 55" IPS panel but in the case of the 65" M Series, the panel has that same 178°/178° viewing angle spec but the panel has been confirmed by Vizio to be VA-type. So the 65" P isVA-type like the 65" M (and probably both coming from AUO as has been rumored), but this is more of a wildcard than the 60" and 70" panels at this stage. It is also possible/likely that the 65" AUO panel does not suffer from the same minor red chroma defect as the 60" and 70" panels.

60" P Series has been confirmed as VA type and is another Sharp panel like the 70" panel and it also suffers from the same minor red chroma defect as the 70".

55" P Series has been confirmed to have an IPS LCD panel (so poor black level performance when viewing in a dark room). Calibrated color on this TV is excellent (see posts #2 and #3 below) and it appears to be a winner for bright-room viewing but not the best P Series TV for dark-room viewing. Local dimming improves the black level performance when viewing in a dark room but in this case the viewing angle is severely reduced (which undcuts the primary advantage of IPS panels over VA panels). Anyone looking for a TV for brightroom viewing and needing the widest possible viewing angle that an LCD can provide may want to consider the 55" over all of the other P Series sizes. Anyone not needing the widest possible viewing angle or for whom dark-room viewing is a high priority should probably avoid the 55" in favor of one of the other sizes (which are all VA-based).

50" P Series has the same viewing angle spec to suggest it will be VA-type, but that is an unknown at this stage.

==============================================================================

Here is a recap of primary specs for the P Series TVs

2014 Vizio P Series (common specs)
-V6 Six-core processor: Quad-core GPU + Dual-core CPU
-HD to UHD Upscale Engine
-Spatial Scaling Engine
-Full Array Local Dimming Backlight
-Ultra HD - 3840x2160
-Refresh Rate 120Hz
-Clear Action 960
-Active Pixel Tuning
-Dynamic Contrast Ratio 50 M to 1

P502ui-B1 $1000
-10 bit VA-type LCD panel (Sharp?)
-64 Local Dimming Zones
-176°/176° viewing angle
-?? ms refresh rate
-?? Nits
-?? ms input lag
-153w
-38.8lbs

P552ui-B2 $1400
-10 bit IPS-type LCD panel (LG?)
-64 Local Dimming Zones
-178°/178° viewing angle
-?? ms refresh rate
-?? Nits
-?? ms input lag
-107.7w
-46lbs

P602ui-B3 $1700
-64 Local Dimming Zones
-176°/176° viewing angle (Noticeable color shift beyond 21° according to rtings.com)
-?? ms refresh rate
-?? Nits
-?? ms input lag
-132.8w
-56lbs

P652ui-B2 $2200
-10 bit VA-type LCD panel (AUO?)
-64 Local Dimming Zones
-178°/178° viewing angle
-?? ms refresh rate
-?? Nits
-?? ms input lag
-307.6w (?)
-57.4lbs

P702ui-B3 $2500
-72 Local Dimming Zones
-176°/176° viewing angle
-?? ms refresh rate
-?? Nits
-?? ms input lag
-133.1w
-70.55lbs

See less See more
#8,382 ·
I actually agree with nearly everything mentioned in that review. The only thing that confuses me is the "simplicity" of him calibrating calibrated dark. Maybe buzzard can chime in here but it seems as if he didn't experience any of the issues we all have seen and yet his results are nearly flawless. Does this mean that the P65 does not exhibit this behavior or is it possible since there was no firmware listed he got an early adopter and we can begin to get excised about the new firmware fixing the issues we have? Either way glad to see a solid review I believe is correct as an owner.
We need an independent source to check out the P65. It's a different panel so I would expect results to be unlike those we have found on others. The P55 I calibrated was gorgeous save blacks, dimming, etc. on the one I had and it did not behave like the P60 at all - not even close.

#8,383 ·
I think that's because TitanFall is (almost 60fps) & Destiny is 30fps.
That's how all 30fps games are supposed to look like in motion, regardless of the TV.
Turning on the Smooth motion, makes the 30fps convert to 60fps & you get the smooth looking motion.
Does this explain the artifacting then? Some sort of issue the TV has trying to fill the extra frames when GLL is off?

#8,384 ·
Does this explain the artifacting then? Some sort of issue the TV has trying to fill the extra frames when GLL is off?
It's SME that's creating extra frames. It's just that GLL disables SME regardless of what you have it set to (enabling GLL really should gray SME out but as of 1.0.0 firmware it doesn't). You should avoid such artifacts with GLL off if you also disable SME. ;) Again though, really no need 99% of the time - I just leave GLL on even when not gaming since currently the extra video processing with GLL off causes more motion issues than it would purport to solve, with occasional choppy motion, etc.

#8,385 ·
This is what I find confusing as well, GLL vs. CA vs. SME is all confusing to me.
As best as I understand it:
  • Game Low Latency (GLL): Optimizes processor efficiency for lowest input lag. It does so by reducing processor load by disabling Film Mode, disabling Smooth Motion, and possibly some other background processes.
  • Clear Action (CA): Strobes the backlight for better apparent motion handling. Reduces the perceived backlight level, so the viewer may need to increase backlight level (NOT Brightness!) to compensate.
  • Smooth Motion Effect (SME): Adds interpolated frames to smooth out on-screen motion. Soap Opera Effect (SOE) is caused by enabling this; some people are highly sensitive to it, some people are relatively insensitive to it, some people prefer it. YMMV.
Hope this helps.

#8,386 ·
As far as settings I have a bunch of questions. I have the Disney WOW disc coming today so Im hoping that helps me setup up my B1E but what is the sharpening issue you are speaking of and how will it get dealt with?n My software vs. says 1.0.0, is that what it should be and if not, how do I update it?
Vizio TVs update themselves as long as they are connected to the internet. The 'fixed' firmware isn't out yet. basically there is an unstoppable sharpening filter happening to everything.

Also, I have a vizio 38" 2.1 soundbar (100watts) and I have a Samsung 38" 2.1 (300 watts).I bought both to compare with both of the TV's I bought. I was thinking that since I am keeping the Vizio, I would keep its soundbar for brand continuity if nothing else, but I am thinking the Samsung may sound better being it is 300 watts. Im going to try it out when I get home. My question is, what would be the best way to set it up? Should I run an optic cable out of the soundbar into the TV, or try the ARC? If I use the ARC will it work and how exactly do I set it up?
I haven't had to setup ARC to be honest so I"m not 100% sure. I believe I recall reading in an instruction book for a TV that it was listed under CEC for that model (the one I setup that had ARC had a new receiver so I put everything through that.)

If I keep the Samsung sounder should I run my PS4 and AppleTv into it and then out to the tv? I believe the soundbar has 2 inputs on it, but it may be just 1. Will that cause a loss in picture quality?
It should have no loss of video quality.

One last thing, should I plug my PS4 into a different HDMI input?
Right now I have mine plugged in via a switch on HDMI2. Based on comments from others, it appears like HDMI5 has the lowest input lag, but is slightly worse at upscaling content. I'd figure out which is more important to you, and if you notice any difference.

#8,387 ·
I actually agree with nearly everything mentioned in that review. The only thing that confuses me is the "simplicity" of him calibrating calibrated dark. Maybe buzzard can chime in here but it seems as if he didn't experience any of the issues we all have seen and yet his results are nearly flawless. Does this mean that the P65 does not exhibit this behavior or is it possible since there was no firmware listed he got an early adopter and we can begin to get excised about the new firmware fixing the issues we have? Either way glad to see a solid review I believe is correct as an owner.
Those look like charts made with dimming off which is easy to get in line on my P65. See most of the problems mentioned here with dimming is on like the 100% blue push. I don't have a problem with the red under saturation but I have problems with blue and some secondary colors instead.

#8,388 ·
Those look like charts made with dimming off which is easy to get in line on my P65. See most of the problems mentioned here with dimming is on like the 100% blue push. I don't have a problem with the red under saturation but I have problems with blue and some secondary colors instead.
I understand the 100% blue increase very well. My confusion is why it went unnoticed by someone so qualified. I would imagine since he is calibrating calibrated dark it is assurance that he turned the dimming on. Actually now that I think about it he had to have his meter on it when gauging the contrast ratio with dimming on. At this point I would of assumed he would have noticed the issue. He also was able to bring the 100% color saturation much more inline than I have seen other than Buzzs P55. Even though they are still slightly unsaturated it did not exhibit the Orange push of the P60/70. It has been said that the dimming also messes with color accuracy as well but not sure that was noticed either.
Another thing I noticed was that CIE2000 was not used but rather something else (forgot what it was) maybe buzz or googer can chime in if they have read it and fill us in on why and which one is actually the best to use for both color and grey scale DE measurements.

#8,390 ·
Actually now that I think about it he had to have his meter on it when gauging the contrast ratio with dimming on. At this point I would of assumed he would have noticed the issue.
I believe his .02 cd/m2 is with dimming off. I measured .03 with dimming off which was the same measured by Rtings. His measurements look to be with dimming off. With dimming on it should be much lower.

#8,391 ·
I believe his .02 cd/m2 is with dimming off. I measured .03 with dimming off which was the same measured by Rtings. His measurements look to be with dimming off. With dimming on it should be much lower.
I thought that at first also. Then I reread it and it seems clear he has dimming on. He state that the good contrast is the result of the full array and local dimming. Confusing. You may be right but to me is seems as though he had dimming on.

#8,392 · (Edited)
I thought that at first also. Then I reread it and it seems clear he has dimming on. He state that the good contrast is the result of the full array and local dimming. Confusing. You may be right but to me is seems as though he had dimming on.
No, no, no. Read it again. Under the calibration numbers he explicitly stated that he did all the calibrations with all processing turned off (I read that as dimming off).

Notice his backlight of 29, I had 28, these numbers look very similar to mine when I was in the middle of calibrating dark with dimming turned off.

Also, he claims Vizio adheres to 2.2 with Calibrated Dark. Interesting.

#8,393 ·
But it's not half.

[Heavy sigh]. The question isn't what 120Hz and 240Hz refresh rates are but what Vizio means by "effective refresh rate". It's common industry practice to obscure the native refresh rate of panels by only citing pseudo refresh rates achieved with backlight scanning by qualifying those numbers with words like "effective" ("Well, technically it's not really 120Hz refresh, but effectively it is" :rolleyes:); read this and this.

I've always been willing to believe that Vizio means 240Hz native refresh rate when they say "240Hz Effective Refresh Rate". The fact that Bodnar Lag Tester readings indicate that it updates the screen, top to bottom, in 4 ms implies that that could be happening (which is why I'd dearly love to see those numbers for the B1E). But many (other :D) pedantic participants in this thread pooh-poohed that notion, insisting that "240Hz Effective Refresh Rate" means 120Hz actual refresh rate. It always seemed weird to me that, if they're achieving their "effective refresh rate" with constant, non-defeatable backlight scanning that they'd advertise another 4-times-as-high backlight scanning mode called "Clear Action".

#8,394 ·
I just received my 70" P Series set today, and overall I've gotta say I love it. I am having one issue though, and I'm curious if anyone else has run into anything similar. Basically the TV won't stay connected to the 5Ghz wireless network in my house, but 2.4 Ghz seems solid. Both show up with full bars in the network list, and the router is quite close to the TV. It's also an Asus RT-N66U which is one of the most popular, and highest rated N routers on the market (granted it's not so new anymore).

I was able to get the TV to connect to the 5Ghz network once, but then when I came back to the TV later it reported it had disconnected. After that point, I can't even get it to reconnect to the 5Ghz network. Any tips? :)

#8,395 ·
BTW, this Walmart TV ad for Vizio 4K TVs (w/Melissa Joan Hart and comedian Anthony Anderson) features a 50", as indicated on the carton displayed. Given that they only seem to be listing the B1E online this could mean a lot of B1Es being sold. At the beginning of the year the $1000 price tag of the B1 with its specs and demo performance was big news at CES; $700 for the B1E is even more impressive.

#8,396 ·
I just received my 70" P Series set today, and overall I've gotta say I love it. I am having one issue though, and I'm curious if anyone else has run into anything similar. Basically the TV won't stay connected to the 5Ghz wireless network in my house, but 2.4 Ghz seems solid. Both show up with full bars in the network list, and the router is quite close to the TV. It's also an Asus RT-N66U which is one of the most popular, and highest rated N routers on the market (granted it's not so new anymore).

I was able to get the TV to connect to the 5Ghz network once, but then when I came back to the TV later it reported it had disconnected. After that point, I can't even get it to reconnect to the 5Ghz network. Any tips? :)

If the router is behind a wall that could be an issue. 5Ghz is much less stable when it has to go through walls etc. I was able to connect to the 5ghz without issues, but it's performance was much less. I decided to just go with 2.4.

Sent from an system/360

#8,397 · (Edited)
Just for reference I've got my Xbox One hooked via HDMI to my Onkyo TX-SR601 and that going to the high speed HDMI5 on the P60, don't know if that would make a difference. I should try hooking my console straight to my TV.

I've measured video lag with Xbox 360 Lego Rock Band auto-calibration (one model of guitar controller has photo and audio sensors on its face; you hold it up to a speaker while the game repeatedly sounds a tone to measure audio lag and up to the screen while the game repeatedly flashes it to measure video lag). I normally run my Xbox 360 through a 3-into-one HDMI switch and from there into my Onkyo TX-NR515, sharing one input on the AVR between a WD TV Live, Roku 3 and the Xbox. I tried directly connecting the Xbox to the TV and it didn't change video lag a bit (although running the sound through the TV and into the AVR via optical S/PDIF increased measured audio lag by nearly 100ms).

Reactions: kabob983
#8,398 ·
Which issues and behavior are you describing?

#8,400 ·
I for one believe that Vizio has
really wonderful upscaling on their 4K sets. Does anyone else here agree? (Or disagree?)

I strongly agree. When I first got it I kept pausing scenes on television to walk up close to examine the picture to see if it was really as smooth and sharp and free of artifacts as it seemed. It does particularly well with progressive signals though it does a great job with most 1080i as well. Though it suggest that you restrict the video signal that you give it on HDMI 5 to 1080p and higher I route all of my equipment through my AVR and into HDMI 5 and have set my TiVo up to send it everything without internally upscaling it except for 480i, which the TV can't handle (I don't think that there's much if any of that on cable and I wouldn't watch it anyway).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.