AVS Forum banner

Is 3:2 LCD A Myth????

354 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  wronganswer 
#1 ·
Hello I have a few questions, about high refresh rate TVs. So from what I understand is that watching 24p movies is traditionally bad for 60hz TVs, because its not a multiple, and that they have to do 3:2 pulldown to display it....but its apparently incorrect, and it causes judder. I also read that watching 24p in raw native format is un-watchable, because it causes too much flickering, that can apparently cause seizes. Now this all makes since to me on flickering type of displays, such as plasma, and CRTs (and maybe DLP,) that flash each frame. What I'm confused about is sample and hold type of displays, like LCD and OLED. Since these displays don't flicker/flash the frames, and they essentially just "draw" the frame rate (hold the pixels until told to change,) than why would refresh rate matter for them, when it comes to 24p playback? Whether the display is running in 24hz, 60hz, 120hz, or even 240hz wouldn't it look the same for them if they're just drawing the raw 24p frame rate anyway? Why would they do 3:2 judder if they're just drawing 24 frames?

Also from what I understand about the motion processing is that there's two main modes. There's "de-blur," and "de-judder." According to C-Net they said 120hz inserts 1 frame for every two real frames, and that 240hz is 3 frames for every two real frames, but then they said that this is not to be confused with de-judder(the crazy soap opera effect one?) So if de-judder is the one for the SOE and de-blur is the one for better motion resolution....than which one is inserting frames? Like if I have a 240hz TV and I put de-blur to 10 and de-judder to 0 is that inserting the 3 fake frames? If that's the case than what's it doing if I put de-judder to 10, and de-blur to 0? If one gives the SOE effect, and the other gives a clearer picture....how does that tech work? What about when you both blasted to 10, is it still only 3 fake frames? I'm confused? Can new TV's do de-judder without the crazy SOE?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.