Vizio local dimming, M vs E series. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 09-18-2014, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Vizio local dimming, M vs E series.

Does anyone have experience comparing the quality of the local dimming on 2014 Vizio line (the -B2 -B3 notation) e-series vs m-series? In my experience with the 60" I like the black levels with local dimming immensely but there are some series flaws with it. Without it the blacks are very gray which sucks equally bad. My problem with the e-series local dimming is... there are "bands of light". Like if I am looking at a wall in the background I see dark band/light band/dark band. The wall looks like it has a flash light across it with a very sharp defined dark light transition. I then pause the tv and turn local dimming off. All bands disappear. I now see a solid color wall with no drastic light bands across it. Now that I see the bands they drive me crazy and I see them everywhere. Skies have weird light bars across them, and all sorts of weird light banding anomalies. Its very bad.

Now I know the M series has more led zones. Does moving the number of zones up remove the "light banding" issue or help to any extent that it makes local dimming useable? What are your experiences with local dimming on these sets?

I've seen this problem scattered about in the numerous Vizio threads but I would need a week off work to read all the threads to see if anyone ever responded. Hence I thought I would try and make a new thread devoted to this one issue.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page