Do you use your smart TV as a dumb TV? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By mordbane
  • 1 Post By johnfull

post #1 of 9 Old 09-24-2014, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do you use your smart TV as a dumb TV?

I initially purchased a Vizio E420-B1, which was DOA so I had to return it. Instead of simply trying again with the same model, However, I'm thinking of going for an E420i-B0, just to have the added option of local dimming. Do I actually need a smart TV? No -- my Blu-ray player and my Roku box can do all the smart stuff I need or want.

What about you? Have you purchased a smart TV with no intention of using its smart features, simply because you liked the TV's performance as a monitor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-24-2014, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanChan View Post
I initially purchased a Vizio E420-B1, which was DOA so I had to return it. Instead of simply trying again with the same model, However, I'm thinking of going for an E420i-B0, just to have the added option of local dimming. Do I actually need a smart TV? No -- my Blu-ray player and my Roku box can do all the smart stuff I need or want.

What about you? Have you purchased a smart TV with no intention of using its smart features, simply because you liked the TV's performance as a monitor?
I own a Samsung smart TV but use a chromecast 99% of the time. I think the new (smart) vizio's have the same chromecast function built into the tv which is kinda convenient.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-24-2014, 09:36 AM

Liked: 5
For almost all of my larger screen TVs, I prefer to either connect them to a PC or Android TV box. Smart TV functions are nice in a pinch, but not quite as flexible as I would like.
billmich likes this.
post #4 of 9 Old 09-24-2014, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The smart features were partly what sold us on our TV (Panasonic TC-L42E30), aside from the price--same for our Panasonic blu-ray player. In the end we wanted more features than either could offer, and moved to an HTPC--which has been great when it's been working--when it hasn't, it's been nice to have some smart features to fall back to, but in the long run I don't think we'll be using them much.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-24-2014, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 102
The trick is to find a high-quality TV that does not have a bunch of stuff you don't want.
Usually, the best pictures are on the premium sets with all the bells and whistles...
lovinthehd likes this.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-24-2014, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 380
It's hard to buy a tv nowadays that isn't Smart. Smart tv's do have their place especially if you wall mount your tv and don't want cables etc visible. But that's more of an aesthetic reason that functionality. I prefer to use a STB like a Roku, AppleTV, etc because they are usually much more robust and flexible than what you will find in the tv. The idea of my tv phoning home all of the time and automatically updating is not appealing to me. Besides, if your Smart features ever fail then you've lost that benefit until you call for repairs, and you are also limited somewhat in what you can update. Personally, I'd never use the Smart features of a tv as a buying decision. PQ is much more important to me than being able to use my tv's built-in apps for streaming or internet use. There are much much better ways to do that than being locked into what the tv mfr has. If my tv comes with all of that stuff, that's fine. I just won't use it or rarely use it, and then that would probably be more of playing around than serious day to day usage.

Last edited by Otto Pylot; 09-24-2014 at 10:23 AM.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-24-2014, 11:04 AM

Liked: 5
While I'm looking forward to they day when IOS or Android comes on a TV, I'm not completely thrilled with the idea that a bad update can brick a $3,000 display. Even though we are already starting to see some of that. I'm much happier with bricking a $100 STB.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-24-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 198
I have used my first-model/first-generation Roku Netflix Player (later renamed Digital Video Player) for Netflix. It is showing its age:
  1. maximum resolution on the Netflix channel is 720p,
  2. it lacks subtitles and alternate audio tracks for the Netflix channel
  3. and when the Netflix/Comcast agreement was inked the stream this original-generation Roku uses wasn't improved, unlike modern Rokus and many more recent devices, such as my TV.

Since I haven't gotten around to replacing the ancient Roku with a Roku 3, what streaming I do from Netflix I have been using the Netflix applet on my TV to do the streaming, and it has been doing it pretty well, getting 1080p streams. However, it seems that software updates tend to be limited to just a few years, so as soon as my TV has issues with Netflix due to lack of software updates, I am planning on replacing my ancient Roku rather than replacing the TV ... unless the TV needs replacing for other reasons.

My LG Blu-ray player is too old to have software that properly handles Netflix now (particularly for shows with more than 99 episodes, such as Mission: Impossible).

I never connected the newer Sony Blu-ray player to my Netflix account. Some day I just may do that, but right now the TV seems to do an adequate job. I suppose it is worth testing for comparison purposes.

My thinking on the Roku is that the primary purpose of the Roku is to stream content, originally to stream Netflix content, so Roku has a vested interest to make sure their current products work with Netflix; whereas when it comes to "smart TVs" and Blu-ray players, the Netflix application is a check mark on a feature list, not a primary selling point, so it might not always be the best way to stream Netflix, though the Blu-ray player is probably the best way to enjoy Blu-ray discs I rent from Netflix.

One thing I have never used my HDTVs for is TV! Specifically, I don't use the tuners in the TVs. Instead, they are fed via HDMI (Blu-ray players, Roku, HD DVR) or composite & component (the DVD player/VCR).

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player, Roku N1000 (original model), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (120Mbps/12Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Preferred Plus), DVD/VHS player.

Last edited by Mark12547; 09-24-2014 at 12:11 PM.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-25-2014, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Don't care about watching TV or either using the "Smart Features", I primarily use all my TV's as a PC monitor used daily.

I couldn't be bothered with a normal PC monitor because they are either too small, or too expensive at a larger size with a larger resolution. Buying a 55" inch with 4K support solved all my problems, why should I buy a lousy 34" monitor at 4K which will cost me around $3K when I can buy a 55" 4K TV at half the price?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page