Panasonic TC-65AX800U LED-LCD UHDTV - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 110 Old 09-27-2014, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2531 Post(s)
Liked: 3995
Panasonic TC-65AX800U LED-LCD UHDTV — Official AVS Forum Review

Panasonic's relatively affordable UHDTV offers a compelling blend of features and picture quality. When the lights are on, it really shines.

2014 is the year 4K took over the high end of the TV market, and every major manufacturer now has something to offer. Last year, Panasonic was riding high thanks to the positive reviews received by its plasma panels. Now, the company concentrates its engineering efforts on making high-performance LED-lit LCD TVs.

When I first saw the AX800U in New York City at a Panasonic press event, I was very impressed by its picture quality. In addition, I was happy that it was flat! At the time, I wrote that its picture quality competed favorably with plasma. That observation provoked a critical response from numerous AVS members, who correctly pointed out how difficult it is to draw accurate conclusions about a TV's image quality at a PR event. I agreed with the criticism and resolved to perform an in-depth review of the AX800U, so I contacted Panasonic and asked if I could borrow one for a few weeks.

At a Panasonic press event, the AX800U looked exceptional playing UHD/4K demo footage.

Happily, Panasonic agreed and loaned me a TC-65AX800U. I spent over a month and a half living with it—using it as my primary display on my PC for work and for play—to get a feel of what it's like to live with a UHD/4K TV.

Before I get too deep into the review, I want to address the debate over plasma vs. LCD image quality. When I made the claim that the AX800U beats plasma, it was a conditional statement. Depending on the viewing position and viewing conditions, it's entirely possible for a high-end UHD/4K LCD to beat a reference-quality plasma HDTV's image quality. All you have to do is make sure there's some ambient light in the room, view it head-on, and provide it with native UHD/4K content—that doesn't include too much motion.

To beat a reference plasma's image quality with an AX800U, it's necessary to make the most of a UHD/4K LCD TV's strengths. Namely, you need to take advantage of the extra brightness and resolution it offers. Likewise, it's easy enough to beat the image quality of an LED-lit LCD UHD/4K TV with a reference plasma—all you have to do is watch content in a nearly or totally dark room and make sure you don't sit so close to the TV that you can see individual pixels.

The bottom line is this: The superiority of one TV over another greatly depends on what you watch and how you watch it.

Features

The TC-65AX800U is a THX-certified LED-edgelit LCD UHD/4K TV. It can accept and display UHD/4K content up to 2160p/60 4:4:4 thanks to its DisplayPort 1.2 connection. (The panel itself is 8-bit, so greater bit depths are moot.) Its refresh rate is 120 Hz with motion interpolation and pseudo local dimming that help improve contrast and motion resolution. According to Panasonic, the AX800U can render 98% of the DCI color gamut, which is what's used in commercial cinemas, and well beyond the BT.709 color gamut used by broadcast TV and Blu-ray.

The AX800U possesses an expanded color palette that covers 98% of DCI and 100% of BT.709 gamut

The AX800U comes packed with smart-TV features, including a suite of apps that handle everything from streaming movies to creating slideshows to managing multiple calendars. It's also equipped with a built-in camera and microphone that add voice control and facial recognition to the TVs capabilities, although I wound up turning those functions off.

Normally, I skip the smart features on TVs because I prefer to use third-party devices such as Roku, ChromeCast, and Apple TV versus a TV maker's proprietary apps. However, built-in apps are a crucial feature for this generation of UHD/4K TVs, since they offer a way to access UHD content. The set-top boxes don't offer UHD/4K yet, so built-in apps are key. For the TC–65AX800U, the most important UHD/4K apps are Netflix and Amazon. Unfortunately, those apps were not yet UHD/4K-enabled when I reviewed the TV. Panasonic announced upcoming support for UHD/4K via those two services in a September 4 press release, but it did not include a specific date for that update.

Panasonic included a full suite of apps on the AX800U.

Inputs and ports include three HDMI 1.4, one HDMI 2.0 (2160/60p capable) input, one DisplayPort 1.2 input, one antenna/cable input, one set of analog component-video inputs with 2-channel audio, one composite-video input with 2-channel audio, Ethernet, WiFi, and three USB ports. Outputs include audio return channel (ARC) via one of the HDMI 1.4 ports or the HDMI 2.0 port and an optical digital-audio output. The TV is HDCP 2.2-compatible, and even offers the option to switch between HDCP 2.2 and HDCP 1.4 via its menu.

A look at the inputs on the TC-65AX800U.

Finally, the AX800U features active-shutter 3D and comes with two pairs of glasses.

Ergonomics

The AX800U is quite easy to use for such a feature-rich TV, but one convenience I did not appreciate was the info bar, which would cause the TV to turn on at awkward moments. It was too easy to trigger; the TV would repeatedly fire up while my wife Danya and I were chatting or listening to music. It grew tiresome, so I disabled the function. I figured I could handle turning the TV on the old-fashioned way—when I wanted to.

The AX800U includes two remote controls as well as an app for iPad and Android tablets. The most traditional remote is a large wand-style unit with oversized backlit keys. It's as large as many universal remotes, but it only controls the TV itself. Nevertheless, the large backlit buttons and uncluttered layout make it easy to use.

The two remote controls that come with the AX800U.

The touchpad remote was not my favorite interface for the TV, though it has its charms—including a built-in microphone for voice search. Also, if you do use the TV's built-in apps, the touchpad remote it can be a bit less cumbersome than using the arrows on the wand remote.

If the TV is not wall-mounted, it requires a surface that is at least as wide as the TV itself (58 inches). In this case, the TV uses a heavy pedestal for stability, which makes it quite a handful during setup.

Setup

A 65-inch AX800U is too much TV for one person to set up on their own. I hope it's understood that you should not hang a heavy TV by yourself; however, even if it is going to sit on a stand, this TV requires two people to put together. Its shipping weight is 160 lbs, and assembled with its stand, it weighs 130 lbs. That's considerably heavier than most other TVs of a similar size, but there's a good reason for it.

Panasonic wanted to make sure a small child could not easily tip over an AX800U sitting on a TV stand. The solution was a 40-pound pedestal that attaches to the back of the TV. It would take an adult considerable effort to tip the whole thing over, and the result is considerably sturdier than most other freestanding TVs. The only downsides to this design are that the pedestal takes up some space behind the TV, and it makes the TV quite difficult to move because of the extra weight.

The pedestal that keeps the AX800U in place. It weighs 40 pounds.

When I first turned the TV on, I noticed patches of mild discoloration when displaying a uniform white field on the screen-there was a magenta tint to them. I remembered reading that a gentle rub with a soft, clean cloth can help with uniformity issues on some LCD screens. I figured I had nothing to lose, so I gave it a shot. To my surprise, the light rub, similar to how I'd go about cleaning the screen, worked perfectly—uniformity was notably improved, and the issue did not reappear. I mention the issue because it was a part of my experience, but it's also an anomaly. The threads where I read about the screen rub trick discussed different TVs from numerous manufacturers—it's not an AX800U issue.

Initial system setup of the AX800U included the creation of a personal profile, which involved setting up facial and voice recognition. A built-in webcam took my mug shot, and I used the touchpad remote to register my voice with the system. I also registered the streaming apps I planned to use in my testing—Netflix, Amazon, and Vudu.

Performance

I started by setting up the AX800 next to my reference TV, a 64-inch Samsung F8500 plasma. I performed a full 10-point calibration before going any further, using CalMan 5 and a DVDO AVLab TPG UHD/4K pattern generator. I also took the opportunity to update my calibration of the F8500—to account for any drift—before performing any direct comparisons.

As part of my calibration, I turned off the majority of the AX800U's image-processing features, especially noise reduction, color remastering, motion processing, and sharpening. I used Professional2 picture mode and aimed for a gamma of 2.2 and 35 foot-lamberts of peak brightness, my preferred settings for viewing in a dim room. The AX800U responded very well to a 10-point calibration, achieving delta-E numbers well below the threshold of human perception. In fact, it calibrated about as accurately as my F8500, and when viewed head-on, its post-calibration image quality was exceptional. I would trust this display for performing critical color adjustments in Photoshop.

I was very pleased with the AX800U's post calibration accuracy. Calibrated with CalMAN 5.

The AX800U is capable of achieving excellent color accuracy. Calibrated with CalMAN 5.

The AX800U provides only one HDMI 2.0 input, but it also includes a DisplayPort 1.2 connection. That was the key to getting the most out of the TV using my PC, since it supports 2160p/60 4:4:4 video signals, which was great for viewing photos and playing video games. Because of that, I used an AMD Radeon R9 280X video card as my primary UHD/4K source.

For 1080p content, I relied on my Pioneer Elite SC-55 AVR and the various peripherals I have connected to it: Google's Chromecast, a Sony Vaio laptop with an SSD drive, a 1080p connection to my PC, a Panasonic DMP-BDT460 Blu-ray player with UHD/4K JPEG playback—which I had in for review—and a Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray player.

The AX800U performs very well when you respect the limitations of LED-edgelit VA (vertically aligned) LCD panels. The most glaring weakness is a relatively narrow optimum viewing angle, especially when compared to plasma—there's perhaps a 25-degree viewing cone where image quality is excellent, although image quality is still very good if viewed from a bit wider angle.

The AX800U looks the best, by far, when viewed head-on. Sitting centered on the screen in a dimly lit room, it delivered an image that looked remarkably like the F8500 plasma next to it. When I fed it UHD/4K content and sat close enough, it looked better than the 1080p plasma. However, if I moved just a bit off-angle, saturation and contrast both dropped; the illusion of depth was lost. In addition, in a completely darkened room, the plasma's superior black levels helped it pull ahead of the AX800U—even when viewing the Panasonic head-on.

In this viewing angle test from lagom.nl, if you can see the text in the white field, it means there is a shift in gamma.

The AX800U does not have the ability to reproduce the ultra-deep blacks seen in some FALD (full array local dimming) LCD UHDTVs. It's no slouch when it comes to black rendition, it's just not one of the elite—no pun intended—TVs in that category. However, it's implementation of local dimming is very stealthy, working behind the scenes without calling attention to itself, unlike a number of other UHDTVs I've checked out this year. In many ways, I prefer Panasonic's approach—it might not read as well in the specs, but with real-life content, it looks more natural than aggressive FALD algorithms.

I have no need to watch a TV from an obtuse angle, so I stayed nice and centered and enjoyed the AX800U's excellent detail rendition and color accuracy as I worked with high-resolution photos in Photoshop. It's easily the finest computer monitor I've ever used in terms of size, resolution, and color quality. I also appreciated LCD's resistance to image retention/burn in whenever I used the AX800U; I save my plasma for movies/TV/video games due to image-retention issues when I'm in the Windows desktop.

Viewing still photos was a particular highlight of the UHD/4K experience. Danya and I both take photos as a part of our jobs, and we have a number of large-sensor cameras, equipped with prime lenses, that produce very sharp images. Thanks to the 65-inch AX800U's combination of screen size and high resolution, we could finally see our own photos in all their glory. Still photos represented—by far—the largest collection of UHD/4K content that I had access to.

I'm a fan of video gaming, and especially car-racing games. Although my video card supports 2160p/60, my computer wasn't too happy about rendering 3840x2160 graphics at the frame rates needed for smooth gameplay—with Need for Speed: Most Wanted, I was limited to around 20 fps. However, I found that using 2560x1440 resolution for gaming was a great compromise—I achieved fast frame rates (40-60 fps) along with sharper graphics than 1080p (1920x1080).

I wish I could report on how UHD/4K Netflix and Amazon streaming looked on the AX800U, however those apps were not working during the time I had the TV. Instead, I relied on YouTube via my PC for 2160p video. Panasonic included a dedicated UHD/4K app with the TV, but it turned out to have the same selections as YouTube, so I stuck with my PC-based UHD/4K solution. I was impressed with some of the fine details I saw while watching several promo clips for Assassins Creed that include footage of Parkour stunt runs in various cities. It made me wish for access to high-quality cinematic UHD/4K content.

I watched UHD/4K streaming content on YouTube.

The largest library of HD content out there is on Blu-ray, so I spent plenty of time watching some of my favorite movies on the AX800U. I checked out the Oscar-winning film The Artist as a black-and-white torture test—it stayed neutral gray from beginning to end, with no discoloration in highlights or shadows.

The Need for Speed film looked fantastic in pristine digital color; it's my new reference for fast-moving, ultra-sharp cinematography, especially since the stunts are real and not CGI. There were moments when the F8500 looked a bit crisper during the most complex action, but the AX800U looked as good—or perhaps even a bit sharper—a solid 90% of the time. While I still prefer my plasma for how great it looks in the dark, I cannot deny that UHD/4K upscaling can, on occasion, look a bit better than native 1080p.

Gravity 3D is a tough test for any display, one that the plasma excelled at and the AX800U struggled with a little bit. For one thing, emissive displays do outer space better that transmissive displays—it looks a lot more convincing on an OLED or a premium plasma than it does on any LCD-based TV. Furthermore, LCDs that use active shutter glasses for 3D tend to suffer from a bit more crosstalk than plasma, and that turned out to be true for the Panasonic. It was good 3D, but I've been spoiled by the passive 3D on my Vizio M3D550KD (although that suffers a loss of resolution) and the impeccable 3D presentation of the F8500. The AX800U offers totally usable 3D, but if you plan to spend most of your time wearing glasses to watch a movie, it might not be the ideal TV for you.

Ultimately, I watched several dozen movies on the AX800U. It can really flatter some material, especially if it's presented in 16:9 format. Perhaps the biggest weakness of the AX800U is its inability to darken its letterbox bars to a significant degree. It has a feature that claims to do just that, but I saw little change when turning it on and off. The letterbox bars on the AX800U are definitely darker than those on my Vizio, but they are no match for what a good plasma can do. Moreover, I've seen some FALD-equipped TVs that manage to pull off the black-bars trick much more effectively.

My AVR has dual HDMI outputs, so I sent the same picture to my F8500 plasma for comparison. Most of the time, the picture quality between the two TVs was a draw, as long as I stayed on-axis with the AX800U.

The AX800U handles Blu-ray video with aplomb. While upscaling can't add detail that doesn't exist, it does appear to result in a slightly sharper rendition of the same scene versus how it looks in native 1080p. It also makes the pixel structure of the TV—aka the screen door effect—invisible to viewers sitting at the close end of the THX-recommended viewing distance for HD/1080p content.

Like all LCD-based TVs, the AX800U has to perform a few tricks to get above 300 lines of motion resolution. Panasonic uses a combination of BLS (backlight scanning) and frame interpolation to increase the clarity of fast-moving imagery, a process it calls 2400 BLS. While it's effective at increasing motion clarity, Panasonic's approach also tends to smooth out motion. At its least aggressive setting, it managed to crisp up video without producing an obvious SOE (soap opera effect), but it would be nice if the AX800U could engage BLS without any frame interpolation. I used testufo.com to compare motion resolution between the AX800U, the F8500, and the M3D550KD—the plasma clearly outperformed the two LCDs, as expected. With motion processing turned on, the AX800U performed a lot better, rendering sideways-scrolling photos as clearly as the plasma. I can see the feature's usefulness for watching sports.

What does all that mean? If you are a video purist, you'll probably cringe at what you need to do to get the most out of this UHDTV. Namely, you will have to accept the use of local dimming, frame interpolation, and upscaling. You'll also need to perform a proper calibration to get the best picture quality. Of course, the AX800U tantalizes anyone who possesses it with a plethora of image-enhancement functions. Sadly, I did not find any that offered a visible, tangible benefit over and above what's gained from calibration and the judicious use of the features I just mentioned.

While upscaled Blu-ray tended to look great on the AX800U, even when compared to a reference-quality plasma, streaming content looked a bit worse for wear. It is definitely content-dependent—I've seen some very clean HD streams and downloads, but blocky artifacts in deep shadows are par for the course when it comes to online delivery.

For some reason, the artifacts that tend to plague streaming content looked considerably more objectionable on the AX800U versus the F8500. From what I've read, that is probably because the plasma dithers gradients, which helps hide those artifacts. Whatever the cause, I found that the AX800U was too revealing of flaws in the deepest shadows. In the same way that high-resolution speakers reveal flaws in poorly recorded music, the AX800U reveals flaws in poorly compressed video—more so than my reference TV. Again, I'm left wishing I could have seen UHD/4K streaming on the AX800U. When I get a chance to do so, I'll update this review.

Conclusion

With plasma panels riding off into the sunset and curved screens on the rise, it's nice to see Panasonic hit a price/performance sweet spot with the $3000 TC-65AX800U. Even if the AX800U were only a 1080p HDTV, it would be worth consideration, because its overall image quality is top-notch for an LED-edgelit LCD TV of that size. Of course, since it's a premium LCD offering and the year is 2014, it is a UHDTV. As long as you understand what LCDs excel at, you'll find a lot to like about the AX800U's image quality. It's a reminder that Panasonic is an engineering-first company—not as concerned with making an artistic statement as some of its competition. Instead, the company made a TV that is easy to calibrate to near-perfection and looks great playing a wide variety of content.

At its current price, the AX800U is a genuine bargain for the level of performance it achieves. Even if you ignore UHD/4K content altogether, Panasonic's assiduous approach to color fidelity pays dividends—you'll be hard-pressed to find a more accurate LED-lit LCD TV for your money. The TC-65AX800U is available directly from Panasonic, as well as at from Best Buys Magnolia stores.

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+
RichB, radamo, Ph8te and 10 others like this.

Mark Henninger

Last edited by imagic; 03-26-2015 at 12:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 110 Old 09-27-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Great review. It is still a sad time for buying a new TV. I have tried so many 4k LEDs and none compare to the f8500 and hold a candle to the LG OlED.
imagic, StinDaWg and peschiNL like this.
post #3 of 110 Old 09-27-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Truly excellent review, detailed and relevant in all the ways an AVS member would hope for!
post #4 of 110 Old 09-27-2014, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
Truly excellent review, detailed and relevant in all the ways an AVS member would hope for!
Thanks! I've learned a lot from the AVS community.
peschiNL likes this.

Mark Henninger
post #5 of 110 Old 09-27-2014, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Great review Mark
imagic likes this.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #6 of 110 Old 09-27-2014, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Great review ! I pm'd you for some infos !
imagic likes this.
post #7 of 110 Old 09-27-2014, 10:48 AM

This review is more relevent than most bigger HDTV review websites !!
post #8 of 110 Old 09-27-2014, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Like all LCD-based TVs, the AX800U has to perform a few tricks to get above 300 lines of motion resolution. Panasonic uses a combination of BLS (backlight scanning) and frame interpolation to increase the clarity of fast-moving imagery, a process it calls 2400 BLS. While it's effective at increasing motion clarity, Panasonic's approach also tends to smooth out motion. At its least aggressive setting, it managed to crisp up video without producing an obvious SOE (soap opera effect), but it would be nice if the AX800U could engage BLS without any frame interpolation.
the reason i didn't give it a try. and panasonic is the only company that understand how important displayport is. vizio P has support for 1080p 120 hz over HDMI 2.0 but there are only 2 GPUs with a HDMI 2.0 connector you can buy for abour a week but nearly all have a displayport 1.2 for years that can do the same and even UHD 4:4:4 60 hz with 10 bit. so panasonic defiantly makes there homework better than vizio who totally missed the PC gamer market with there P series.

the pre calibrated greyscale looks terrible so hands of if you can't calibrate it.
very nice review.
post #9 of 110 Old 09-27-2014, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thanks for this great and indepth review.
imagic likes this.
post #10 of 110 Old 09-27-2014, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Best feature is the displayport input.
StinDaWg, RLBURNSIDE and SDsc0rch like this.
post #11 of 110 Old 09-27-2014, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Initial system setup of the AX800U included the creation of a personal profile, which involved setting up facial and voice recognition. A built-in webcam took my mug shot, and I used the touchpad remote to register my voice with the system. I also registered the streaming apps I planned to use in my testing—Netflix, Amazon, and Vudu.
Is this personal profile and webcam setup required or can these features be disabled?
post #12 of 110 Old 09-27-2014, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_PD View Post
Is this personal profile and webcam setup required or can these features be disabled?
It is not required, and I disabled it.

Mark Henninger
post #13 of 110 Old 09-27-2014, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 105
imagic

I loved your review.

I guess I will keep my F8500 and wait until the 65 or 77" OLEDs drop a little in price
imagic likes this.

8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15 & UPS BC750G
Speakers: SpeakerCraft: 6 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Woofers: SVS PB13-Ultra (1), HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Samsung PN64F8500
Oppo 93, Denon 4311CI, Harmony 1100, 9 Noctua cooling fans, Darbee Darblet
post #14 of 110 Old 09-27-2014, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 15
How would you compare it to the Sony 850B series?

I was waiting for the Panasonic since I owned a VT50 and ST60 but could wait no more and picked up a Sony. I like it but the speed of the smart features is maddening for a $4,500 TV.

It's a bit flat color wise and I'm coming up close to my return period.
post #15 of 110 Old 09-27-2014, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked: 1247
first thing I need to see for any LED LCD review is a shot of it displaying mostly black with a small section of white in the middle, in a dark room.

that seems to be the 'deal breaker' for me personally. if it can't handle black uniformity, I just can't watch it. once I know that hurdles been passed, i'll spend the time reading the rest of the review.

sorry, that sounds kind of negative, it's just the one thing that stops me from buying a new lcd these days. and the one thing that seems to have gotten worse since the ccfl lcd days.
imagic and StinDaWg like this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #16 of 110 Old 09-27-2014, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked: 769
Not too shabby a review for a youngin.
chirpie likes this.
post #17 of 110 Old 09-27-2014, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
first thing I need to see for any LED LCD review is a shot of it displaying mostly black with a small section of white in the middle, in a dark room.

that seems to be the 'deal breaker' for me personally. if it can't handle black uniformity, I just can't watch it. once I know that hurdles been passed, i'll spend the time reading the rest of the review.

sorry, that sounds kind of negative, it's just the one thing that stops me from buying a new lcd these days. and the one thing that seems to have gotten worse since the ccfl lcd days.
You're not alone in that. I'd rather deal with lesser black levels than uniformity issues. Once I've settled into a movie I find that I can mostly ignore a lighter shade of black-- but poor uniformity takes me right out of the film.

Great review, Mark. Good to hear that Panasonic is still focused on picture quality despite abandoning plasma.
peschiNL likes this.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #18 of 110 Old 09-27-2014, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
You're not alone in that. I'd rather deal with lesser black levels than uniformity issues. Once I've settled into a movie I find that I can mostly ignore a lighter shade of black-- but poor uniformity takes me right out of the film.

Great review, Mark. Good to hear that Panasonic is still focused on picture quality despite abandoning plasma.

OK then, I'll do it in the future.

Mark Henninger
post #19 of 110 Old 09-27-2014, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

I tried a 70" Vizio P in my home the last couple of days and I will say it had great screen uniformity, no flashlighting or clouding and black levels were better then I was expecting.

Unfortunately, side angle viewing was terrible and overall PQ just couldn't touch my VT60 but hats off to Vizio for at least addressing a couple of issues of LEDs.

Now, with the Panasonic being edge lit, I would be more concerned with screen uniformity.

If not for 4K and people thinking they need it, I have no idea why anyone would buy any one of these TVs over the F8500. If all these LEDs were 1080p only, I really see no advantage to them, even in a bright room.

I know everyone is excited for 4K OLEDs but as it is still an unproven tech, boy would I love a VT60 quality plasma with 4K. There really wouldn't even be a need for anyone else to produce a TV. Guess we can only dream.

Anyway, Mark great job! I really like reading your reviews and point of view. I also like that you now own a great plasma so you have something great to compare these LEDs to. Otherwise it would really be hard to know what great really is.
imagic and SDsc0rch like this.
post #20 of 110 Old 09-27-2014, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Great review! You (and Scott) have really been upping your game this year with consistent, well written content and reviews. Although I don't post a lot or often in the forums, I visit the site almost daily to check out the latest news. Thanks!

SXRDork: SXRD is a technology. My name is Vann. Usernames are for life...
post #21 of 110 Old 09-27-2014, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Let me get this straight... The TV turns itself on?
post #22 of 110 Old 09-27-2014, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 134
imagic - thanks for the great write up! Did you run the color saturation sweeps and ColorChecker SG in CalMAN? If so can you please post the results? If not, can you run the checks please? Posting the gamut at the Rec 709 points only shows us how well it does at 100% stimulus, where there is generally very little material. What really matters is how well the colors track INSIDE the gamut, which is what the sweeps and ColorChecker SG will tell us. Thank you.
post #23 of 110 Old 09-27-2014, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Am I correct to assume that the HDMI 2.0 chip is NOT the Revision A, full speed chip. If not then this display (and I think all such UHD displays out so far?) will not be able to accept the highest quality 4K blu-ray content once that becomes available, yes? That is the main thing holding me back from picking up a UHD display like this one. As far as I've heard the HDMI 2.0 rev A chips are not expected to be available until later this year or early next year.
post #24 of 110 Old 09-27-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:

Fierce , i bought a lg 55ub9500 last week , returned 8 days later ! I wanted to change my pioneer pdp 5020 for a 4k display , honestly the lg was garbage ! but i took the 58ax800u home ,pockets 400$ lighter but a smile all the way up to my ears !

Honestly i can see some uniformity issues with my display (i am very picky) , i will try to ''rub it with love'' as everyone suggest sooner or later , but as of now , the blacks are INKY in a bright room and VERY acceptable in pure dark ! CAN'T see local dimming working (the lg looked like a stroboscope mess in the dark) colors pops out.... resolution / upscaling is a bliss ! REALLY IN LOVE i will try to shoot some pics in some dark scenes for you !

Just watched godzilla , alot of dark scenes and i was impressed (It's after seeing that movie in the dark that i chose to change the pos LG) and then i watched Mr. peabody in 3d.... i was stunned !

Anyone looking to have a 4k display , since plasmas are out... should really look into this pannel !
CRyan, imagic and fierce_gt like this.

Last edited by Hopeless1; 09-27-2014 at 10:05 PM.
post #25 of 110 Old 09-27-2014, 10:33 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 4
How did this tv compare to the Vizio P series in your opinion?
post #26 of 110 Old 09-28-2014, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingon40 View Post
How did this tv compare to the Vizio P series in your opinion?
The AX800U strikes me as being superior in many ways. Then again, it does cost more. No way to really know without actually testing the P and performing a proper side-by-side comparison.

The AX800U offers 3D, THX Certification, an amazing tablet-based interface, and DisplayPort input. While I have not yet reviewed a P series TV, the advantages of that TV appear to be the effectiveness of FALD dimming for letterboxed content, ultra-low latency for video games, and of course the TV's price.

Mark Henninger

Last edited by imagic; 09-28-2014 at 01:31 AM.
post #27 of 110 Old 09-28-2014, 01:01 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I saw this screen AX 800 ( I checked before purchasing )
Contras worse,
bad details,
Poor black
upscaling Poor
the depth /Light weak
three dimensional weak
look like lcd not like led

a big disappointment
Panasonic do not know to build LED

many PR people do not tell the whole truth
hope that AX 900 will be better
agkss likes this.
post #28 of 110 Old 09-28-2014, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6311 View Post
I saw this screen AX 800 ( I checked before purchasing )
Contras worse,
bad details,
Poor black
upscaling Poor
the depth /Light weak
three dimensional weak
look like lcd not like led

a big disappointment
Panasonic do not know to build LED

many PR people do not tell the whole truth
hope that AX 900 will be better
I don't find this to be credible, especially with comments like "look like LCD not LED" and "three dimensional weak."

Where did you perform this evaluation? What content did you use? Was the TV calibrated? What mode was it on?

Thanks.

Mark Henninger
post #29 of 110 Old 09-28-2014, 01:30 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_Connelly View Post
How would you compare it to the Sony 850B series?

I was waiting for the Panasonic since I owned a VT50 and ST60 but could wait no more and picked up a Sony. I like it but the speed of the smart features is maddening for a $4,500 TV.

It's a bit flat color wise and I'm coming up close to my return period.
Forgive my tongue-in-cheek answer, but I'd compare the two in the same room, post-calibration, using the same content.

In other words, without actually comparing the two under the same conditions, I can't really say.

Mark Henninger
post #30 of 110 Old 09-28-2014, 01:57 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Where did you perform this evaluation?
in a friend's and private shop
Quote:
I don't find this to be credible, especially with comments like "look like LCD not LED"
Seeing is believing
Panasonic has a lot of PR !
I plugged a computer with a video card R9 295 through DP 1.2 ( content up to 2160p/60 4:4:4 8bit )
Panasonic have more powerful color a but without shades / tones ( maybe good for cartoons (old)

calibration with wow disc http://www.amazon.com/Disney-WOW-Wor.../dp/B0045ASBLG
upscaling Poor- distorted images ( 720P and 480p )Samsung seen here In two levels above the Panasonic.

three dimensional weak for me with power dvd 14 Samsung seen here above the Panasonic.(BR and 3D from the web ) samsung look great particularly after seeing panasonic

the depth /Light weak - Panasonic's image is dark , with depression Image
maybe Panasonic hides many problems in dark picture
( I download Samsung brightness I get even more color but i get lcd not led )

I love Japan, but Panasonic did not know build LED

ax 800 have Black mud without details

ax 800 have sensitive screen has no direction and flexible as Samsung 9000

Last edited by 6311; 09-28-2014 at 02:10 AM.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
frontpage , tc-65ax800u , uhdtv
Gear in this thread