1080p TVs with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 10 Unread 10-19-2014, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
1080p TVs with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2?

Are there any 1080p TVs with full HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 support? I can't seem to find a list of TVs that have these specifications.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Unread 10-19-2014, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Why would you care if a 1080p TV has these specs?

Did you mean 4K TV?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 10 Unread 10-19-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider View Post
Are there any 1080p TVs with full HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 support? I can't seem to find a list of TVs that have these specifications.
Probably not till late this year and next year. Almost anything that meets even the most basic HDMI 2.0 spec can be called HDMI 2.0, so unless your purchasing a 4k tv that has the panel depth and resolution to handle the advanced features of HDMI 2.0 it's really meaningless. Besides, your other devices will have to have the same HDMI 2.0 specs to take full advantage of it. Otherwise, your connection will fall back to the common denominator of the signal path. I doubt if anything will have the full HDMI 2.0 specs so it will all depend on what the mfrs can decide on to build into the required chipsets.
post #4 of 10 Unread 10-20-2014, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Probably not till late this year and next year. Almost anything that meets even the most basic HDMI 2.0 spec can be called HDMI 2.0, so unless your purchasing a 4k tv that has the panel depth and resolution to handle the advanced features of HDMI 2.0 it's really meaningless. Besides, your other devices will have to have the same HDMI 2.0 specs to take full advantage of it. Otherwise, your connection will fall back to the common denominator of the signal path. I doubt if anything will have the full HDMI 2.0 specs so it will all depend on what the mfrs can decide on to build into the required chipsets.
What about the 4K TVs that are currently on the market and ones that will be released by Christmas? How does one know if the HDMI 2.0 designation really mean full HDMI 2.0 support?
post #5 of 10 Unread 10-20-2014, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

You don't. You have to trust the mfr that when they say HDMI 2.0 support that includes all of the protocols that your particular panel can handle (8-bit or 10-bit), CEC Extensions, etc. If the new chipsets are available for full HDMI 2.0 support (what ever that means) and are listed in the specs, then you're good to go. I'm not all that excited about 2.0 yet anyway because receivers, STB's, and blu-ray players need to catch up as well before you can take full advantage of it. There are some receivers already that are supposed to have the new chipsets so we'll see. Fortunately I'm not in the market for a 4k tv. If I was, I'd wait till next year.
post #6 of 10 Unread 05-16-2015, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ok, but

Nice that you 4K wonks are thinking current, but what about us peons who don't care about 4K and need HDCP to
see Apple movies etc. in streaming HD using non 4K equipment !!!!! Don't forget us !!!!!!
I searched the Panasonic website to no avail except that an entry of HDCP in the FAQ search revealed an answer of "yes"
to "Does my TV have HDCP" !!!! Not very reassuring since no model was specified!!! It's Saturday and Their support is
computer generated now. I'll call support on Monday ready to "beat them up" if necessary !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When was HDCP first incorporated into consumer equipment

Respectfully submitted.

Panasonic TC-P60ZT60
post #7 of 10 Unread 05-16-2015, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D DICK View Post
Nice that you 4K wonks are thinking current, but what about us peons who don't care about 4K and need HDCP to
see Apple movies etc. in streaming HD using non 4K equipment !!!!! Don't forget us !!!!!!
What about you? You don't need HDMI 2.0...
post #8 of 10 Unread 05-16-2015, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked: 450
If your that worried about future formats you should probably consider buying the most up to date technology...a 4k tv. 2016 might not even have 1080p tvs unless u shop at stores such as kmart or Walmart where they sell rca, westinghouse , etc. They are clearly being phased out by the big boys.
post #9 of 10 Unread 05-16-2015, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D DICK View Post
I searched the Panasonic website to no avail except that an entry of HDCP in the FAQ search revealed an answer of "yes"
to "Does my TV have HDCP" !!!! Not very reassuring since no model was specified!!! It's Saturday and Their support is
computer generated now. I'll call support on Monday ready to "beat them up" if necessary !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When was HDCP first incorporated into consumer equipment

Respectfully submitted.

Panasonic TC-P60ZT60
HDCP (2.1/2.2) is already incorporated into current HDMI protocols. You will only need HDCP 2.2 to stream/view copy protected 4K UHD media. And the reason that HDCP 2.2 is the new format is because it hasn't been cracked yet like the earlier versions of HDCP. I stream movies just fine via my AppleTV 2 on my HDMI 1.4/HDCP 2.x tv. Eventually all of your devices in your HDMI chain will have to have to final iteration of HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 to stream/view 4K UHD or what ever the new flavor will be. HDCP was approved for use around 2004.
post #10 of 10 Unread Today, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks !!!

RE.: 0414 comment-Sure, I trash my $3000 TV!!!!!!:

All,

I found my problem. Here's what I found:

1-What I was doing=Renting an HD movie (1080) on Apple iStore using my new Win8.1 PC with a new Dell S2240T terminal. Apple responded with a message saying I could only rent an SD copy because my device was not HDCP compatible.
2- I disabled the Dell terminal and forced my Panasonic TV to be the primary terminal and then was able to rent the movie in HD. No 4K involved!!!! So much for "new" Dell terminals !!

Thanks for the helpful comments All.

Best Regards
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com