2Likes
  • 1 Post By brad1138
  • 1 Post By brad1138
post #1 of 15 Old 11-01-2014, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Vizio E600i-B3 has no Smooth Motion Effect as advertised?

My Vizio E600i-B3 TV has no Smooth Motion Effect menu option, it is simply missing. This appears to be the case with the other Exx0i-Bx series TVs also. This model Vizio is advertised as a 120 Hz TV and this manual on page 24 clearly shows where the menu option should be (I attached a screen shot of the menu from the manual). My TV's "Advanced Picture" settings menu looks identical to the manual's menu, except the "Smooth Motion Effect" setting is simply not there! I have also attached an actual photo of my TV's "Advance Picture" menu.

Again, I have attached two images, one is the way it's supposed to be, and the second is the way it is. I simply do not have smooth motion interpolation. Vizio advertises it, and their customer support also tells me I have the latest Firmware. They suggest that the feature may be added back in at a future date. I do want this feature, I got used to the Soap Opera Effect with my 2010 42 inch Vizio TV. I expected it be available on my new 60 inch TV. I bought this 60 inch TV for $798 and seems to be a great TV (even at that price) except the missing feature.

Has anyone else noticed this "missing feature"? Did an earlier version of the firmware have the feature, and it was removed due to software/hardware issues?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-11-01 at 3.39.01 AM.png
Views:	49
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	343793   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vizio Menu.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	343801  

Last edited by GatorTPK; 11-01-2014 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Added link for the manual. (Allowed after my 5th posting)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-01-2014, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Despite the documentation, the TV is not native120Hz. See this from a review:
Q: You say the E-Series is 60hz, but a number of other sites state that it is 120hz. Even the manufacturer's website states 120hz, with "180hz for ClearMotion". The 180hz sounds like nonsense, but it does still state a base of 120hz. Could you provide clarification regarding this?

A: There is no motion interpolation/soap opera effect feature. This is the feature that converts 60 fps to 120fps. Without it, it is just a normal 60Hz panel. Vizio's 120Hz means 60Hz + backlight strobing, not a native 120Hz.

I suspect that Vizio has removed the backlight strobing because of problems, but that's only a guess.
post #3 of 15 Old 11-01-2014, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 159
This model has backlight strobing but not frame interpolation. It is a native 60hz display.
post #4 of 15 Old 11-01-2014, 06:28 PM

Liked: 12
It could be a print mistake. Never seen a false advertise on tvs.
post #5 of 15 Old 11-01-2014, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post
This model has backlight strobing but not frame interpolation. It is a native 60hz display.
Yes, you are correct. The "Motion Blur Reduction" in the menu options does the backlight strobing. When the display is showing a bright white image, I can see the flicker. It even suggests to turn it off for sensitive viewers.

It does appear to be a native 60Hz display, but why does it advertise 120 Hz and have the "Smooth Motion Effect" menu option in all the owners manuals for this series? It seems as if it was intended, and the hardware supports it, but the feature was removed in a firmware update?

Customer service even tells me that it's a feature I should have and it may available in a future update. I would really like to know exactly what chipset/hardware is driving the display and if it even supports frame interpolation. Knowing this information will tell me if it indeed should support Smooth Motion Effect natively. I still have time to return the TV for another model that supports frame interpolation.
post #6 of 15 Old 11-01-2014, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playvoodoo View Post
It could be a print mistake. Never seen a false advertise on tvs.
I suppose it could be a print mistake. I can see that if there is a different series of Vizio TVs that includes frame interpolation and has the exact same menu options as my series TV. But if the different series of Vizio TV have different menu options, it would be hard to explain the print mistake.

The reason I am not quickly accepting that it does not have frame interpolation is because the menu options in the manual and my TV are identical except for the exact feature that sets the frame interpolation ("Smooth Motion Effect" to low, medium, or high) is missing.
post #7 of 15 Old 11-01-2014, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbrit View Post
Despite the documentation, the TV is not native120Hz. See this from a review:
Q: You say the E-Series is 60hz, but a number of other sites state that it is 120hz. Even the manufacturer's website states 120hz, with "180hz for ClearMotion". The 180hz sounds like nonsense, but it does still state a base of 120hz. Could you provide clarification regarding this?

A: There is no motion interpolation/soap opera effect feature. This is the feature that converts 60 fps to 120fps. Without it, it is just a normal 60Hz panel. Vizio's 120Hz means 60Hz + backlight strobing, not a native 120Hz.

I suspect that Vizio has removed the backlight strobing because of problems, but that's only a guess.
I would be quite happy if Vizio removed the backlight strobing feature instead! The strobing feature is the "Motion Blur Reduction" menu option, and it is exactly below the missing "Smooth Motion Effect" menu option. As you can see in the two images I posted, the "Smooth Motion Effect" is the only feature that's missing. I have the "Motion Blur Reduction" turned off anyway because I could detect the flickering. It even warns to turn this feature off for sensitive viewers.
post #8 of 15 Old 11-01-2014, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
"Smooth motion" is apparently the frame interpolation which creates extra frames to make a 24fps movie look like it is 30fps. Nothing to do with 120Hz. My guess is that Vizio decided to make this a permanent selection rather than optional, it will only affect 24fps signals. Alternatively, maybe the feature is only selectable with certain video settings, maybe "cinema" if the Vizio has this? Other video settings might not have this enabled since it only applies to 24fps.....
post #9 of 15 Old 11-01-2014, 09:50 PM

Liked: 17
That is odd, i have the E700i-B3 and it has it.
GatorTPK likes this.

Lexicon MC-1 preamp, Citation 5.1 (2x400wpc for M3SIs), Adcom 7500 (5x150wpc for center and surrounds), Mirage M3SIs, 2 x Velodyne ULD 15, 70" Vizio LCD "E700i-B3"
post #10 of 15 Old 11-01-2014, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1138 View Post
That is odd, i have the E700i-B3 and it has it.
Really! And it does do the 120 Hz frame interpolation (The Soap Opera Effect) like I expect? What version is the firmware on your E700i-B3? Our TVs should be identical except for the size and number of backlit LEDs.

Your post and information was exactly what I have been looking for! I've been looking for confirmation that someone else has this series TV and does have this feature that appears to be missing on my TV because of software. (One other possibility is that the manual is for both the 60 and 70 inch TVs, possibly the feature is found in only the 70 inch TV, not the 60 inch TV, and the Manual failed to mention that. I find that unlikely though.)

The firmware version on my Vizio is V1.34.44.0180, it can be found under the Menu -> System -> System Information.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vizio Version Number.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	345258  

Last edited by GatorTPK; 11-01-2014 at 11:39 PM.
post #11 of 15 Old 11-01-2014, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorTPK View Post
Really! And it does do the 120 Hz frame interpolation (The Soap Opera Effect) like I expect? What version is the firmware on your E700i-B3? Our TVs should be identical except for the size and number of backlit LEDs.

Your post and information was exactly what I have been looking for! I've been looking for confirmation that someone else has this series TV and does have this feature that appears to be missing on my TV because of software. (One other possibility is that the manual is for both the 60 and 70 inch TVs, possibly the feature is found in only the 70 inch TV, not the 60 inch TV, and the Manual failed to mention that. I find that unlikely though.)

The firmware version on my Vizio is V1.34.44.0180, it can be found under the Menu -> System -> System Information.
My version is V1.34.44.0190. I read somewhere, when searching for reviews of my set, that the 2 sets are not the same, even beyond the back-lights. It did not elaborate on the differences though. I Can't find that page at the moment.
GatorTPK likes this.

Lexicon MC-1 preamp, Citation 5.1 (2x400wpc for M3SIs), Adcom 7500 (5x150wpc for center and surrounds), Mirage M3SIs, 2 x Velodyne ULD 15, 70" Vizio LCD "E700i-B3"

Last edited by brad1138; 11-02-2014 at 12:07 AM.
post #12 of 15 Old 11-02-2014, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1138 View Post
My version is V1.34.44.0190. I read somewhere, when searching for reviews of my set, that the 2 sets are not the same, even beyond the back-lights. It did not elaborate on the differences though. Can't find that page now though.
Great, thanks for the information. The version numbers are so similar, that I don't believe that it would add a major feature with that minor change in numbers. I would expect version number 1.4x.xx... or so for that. I did go to Walmart just after purchasing my TV because they have the exact same TV on display and I brought my remote so I could see the Firmware version. It was V1.25.xx... It had not been updated in a while, and it was missing two "Advanced Picture" settings. So I do know that different firmware versions have different menu settings.

Walmart does also have your 70 inch TV on display, I think I'll run over there right now and check it's firmware version, and see if it has the "Smooth Motion Effect" setting. If it does have that "Smooth Motion Effect" setting and an earlier version of the firmware, then I may suspect that you are correct. The differences between the 60 and 70 inch models may be more than just size and number of active dimming zones (number of backlit LEDs). If this is the case, then is an extra 10 inches worth another $700? It's on sale for $1498 vs $798 for the 60 inch model. 70 inches diagonal is 36% more viewing area than 60 inches, so it is significant.
post #13 of 15 Old 11-02-2014, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 277
This model has ''120Hz effective refresh rate enhanced with backlight scanning.''
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...Y5GQW3WVKUAVWM

Fake refresh rates: is your TV really 120Hz?
The first is a scanning or flashing backlight. All LCDs have a backlight to create the light used by the liquid crystal to create an image. Typically this is always on, or at least cycling at the same 60Hz the rest of the TV runs at. If the TV instead flashes this backlight rapidly, your eye would see the image, a moment of black, then the image again. It does this so fast, you don't see the flicker. Technically, you're seeing each frame of the image twice per second. This is a common practice, and can reduce motion blur. The issue is calling it "120Hz" when it's really just a 60Hz TV with a scanning backlight causing you to see the same frame twice in a row.
http://www.cnet.com/news/fake-refres...-really-120hz/
post #14 of 15 Old 11-02-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post
This model has ''120Hz effective refresh rate enhanced with backlight scanning.''
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...Y5GQW3WVKUAVWM

Fake refresh rates: is your TV really 120Hz?
The first is a scanning or flashing backlight. All LCDs have a backlight to create the light used by the liquid crystal to create an image. Typically this is always on, or at least cycling at the same 60Hz the rest of the TV runs at. If the TV instead flashes this backlight rapidly, your eye would see the image, a moment of black, then the image again. It does this so fast, you don't see the flicker. Technically, you're seeing each frame of the image twice per second. This is a common practice, and can reduce motion blur. The issue is calling it "120Hz" when it's really just a 60Hz TV with a scanning backlight causing you to see the same frame twice in a row.
http://www.cnet.com/news/fake-refres...-really-120hz/
The 60 Hz vs 120 Hz doesn't bug me, the picture looks great. I think it is a bit of an overrated feature. This years Vizio E series picture quality consistently scores as good or better than the M series and the M series is 120 Hz.

Last edited by brad1138; 11-02-2014 at 09:09 PM.
post #15 of 15 Unread Today, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wink M401i-A3 Soap opera effect wanted

so after reading these posts is it safe to assume that a firmware update might resolve this issue or add it later? As a filmaker I actually like this feature, mine is 120hz and customer service claims the SOE (soap opera effect) is preset out of the box? and with no way of turning it on?
however I dont even see that effect? mine is a 40 inch model M401i-A3 120hz, does any one have this model and does show the SOE? if so what settings are you using?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
interpolation missing , smooth motion , smooth motion effect , smooth motion effect missing , soe missing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page