AVS Forum banner

Plasma to LCD

Tags
lcd led plasma
523 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  demon326 
#1 ·
Hi all,

When i wanted a TV for my own, i bought a samsung PS50C7700 in 2011 because it was this set or a panasonic with floating blacks.. i knew it would have image retention and since people said it would lessen through the years i thought i'd give it a chance... Now three years later, I'm tired of having to worry about the IR, even booting up xbmc leaves traces, and pausing a movie with xbmc is something i just don't like since it does leave traces behind for a while.. Don't get me started about letterboxed movies, i have to turn on the slider to get rid of it for about 10 minutes.

i'm thinking about going over to a decent LCD, but i'm still doubting about it.

Since i don't have a big budget, about 1.000 € and min/max 50 inch, i found the following sets:
Sony Bravia KDL-50W805B
sony bravia kdl-50w828b

Which one of both is the best? and would i regret it if i switched to them? They seem to have pretty good blacks for a LCD, the only 'issue' seems to be undersaturated red, but i doubt i would notice it.

My room setting is pretty dark, but i always watch with background lightning on, almost never fully dark... you can see my (messy room) on the following pictures:
imgur . com/a/kSKE8#3

The last picture show my watching/listening position.

Thanks in advance for the coming advice :)

See less See more
#2 ·
We have talked about that on Tweakers. All i can tell you is that on my Plasma i watch mainly black bar movies, the bar bars a gone instantly when i switch to full screen content. On the long term i probably will get uneven wear. And i must be a bit carefull with logo's etc.. You know what i am talking about.. That is the price you pay..

I bought two 50 inch 9th generation Pioneers on Marktplaats. You can get one of those for 1,000 or less. Those are top Plasma. Great build quality. Only problem is that they are from 2009 so it is risky.

In general only Full Array Local Dimming LED LCd's are coming close to Plasma pq. But those are very expensive. General advise is that for a dimmed room Plasma might be a better option. On the other hand the LCd's issues might not bother you..

Here is a pick from the 2014 Value Electronic Shootout. The Plasma is the one on top. The ones beneath it are LCd's (very expensive LCd's).

#4 ·
We have talked about that on Tweakers. All i can tell you is that on my Plasma i watch mainly black bar movies, the bar bars a gone instantly when i switch to full screen content. On the long term i probably will get uneven wear. And i must be a bit carefull with logo's etc.. You know what i am talking about.. That is the price you pay..

I bought two 50 inch 9th generation Pioneers on Marktplaats. You can get one of those for 1,000 or less. Those are top Plasma. Great build quality. Only problem is that they are from 2009 so it is risky.

In general only Full Array Local Dimming LED LCd's are coming close to Plasma pq. But those are very expensive. General advise is that for a dimmed room Plasma might be a better option. On the other hand the LCd's issues might not bother you..

Here is a pick from the 2014 Value Electronic Shootout. The Plasma is the one on top. The ones beneath it are LCd's (very expensive LCd's).
I know what your talking about, but that just the problem with my set, it has really, really fast IR, like i said: a image, lets say a icon from my bluray player gives ir the moment its on screen and will stay there for a while. Pauzing xbmc, with dimming the screen after on minute an shutting the display off(sending no input singal) won't even help. Trust me, the samsung PS50C7700 is known for its IR problem.. it does go away after a while. Even subtitles leave traces.

Got a topic in dutch, running @ tweakers 'Van plasma naar lcd..'

Its always quite a shock going from a good Plasma, like my KURO to any of these LCDs out there. They've come a long way and have made improvements but still havent corrected some of the niggling issues that bother me. basically, black levels and motion handling are still spotty at times on all but the priciest sets.

Still, ther are some decently reviewed, middle-tier LCDs that will probably work for you. Check Sharp, Samsung, and Vizio for some good choices.
Well yes, my set does not even match a decent panasonic plasma, it maybe onpar with the GT20 that came out the same year as this set. Black level will be a serious downgrade(can't find any detailed reviews of the current set). i'm just looking for options, opinions so i can make a good decision!

I wonder, my parrents got a recent phillips led and its black levels are sometimes even better then my plasma, there just inky black, other times there just blue, mostly on dvd material its very bad with the blacks.

My main issue is just the damn IR on my set; for the rest there is nothing to complain! it the IR that ruines the watching pleasure..

What about the 'panasonic-tx-50as650e'? It uses the same panel as the sony's i listed and doesn't have the red issue and uses a full led backlight instead of edge...

#3 ·
Its always quite a shock going from a good Plasma, like my KURO to any of these LCDs out there. They've come a long way and have made improvements but still havent corrected some of the niggling issues that bother me. basically, black levels and motion handling are still spotty at times on all but the priciest sets.

Still, ther are some decently reviewed, middle-tier LCDs that will probably work for you. Check Sharp, Samsung, and Vizio for some good choices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.