Sharp 4K UD27U Digital Audio Out Issue LC-70UD27U - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-10-2014, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Unhappy Sharp 4K UD27U Digital Audio Out Issue LC-70UD27U

I just picked up the new Sharp 4K LC-70UD27U from BestBuy over the weekend, and, after speaking to two Sharp reps, they have told me currently the TV has an issue with using the digital optical audio out with an HDMI source. I find this to be a very big issue because I have an Onkyo receiver that powers all of my living room speakers. I am still waiting on a callback from a higher level Sharp support tech on the TV.

I have already performed the firmware update, and currently running the factory calibration settings and they look very good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-10-2014, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 32
There are very few owners of this TV thus far, can you provide pics and a quick review with first impressions?
post #3 of 8 Old 11-10-2014, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You are the first owner to actually post here so please be patient as you will be getting questions about your new tv. Unless you are using a direct cable connection with no box you should be able to get around the problem by connecting your sources directly to your receiver. I realize that it is frustrating to have any problem with a big new purchase but hopefully this will get sorted out quickly.

Last edited by geared4me; 11-10-2014 at 01:37 PM.
post #4 of 8 Old 11-10-2014, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 220
I also wondered why you would go OUT from the TV to the AVR unless your AVR is outdated.

Shouldn't you run all devices to the AVR via HDMI and your AVR OUT to the TV using high speed HDMI ARC doing a passthrough? Letting the TV Upscale to UHD - you shouldn't have the AVR interfering with upscaling as the TV doesn't need it.

None of these TV's are AVR's so why send OUT from the TV - the AVR should be in control of Audio sources and passing video through - just seems a backwards approach.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #5 of 8 Old 11-10-2014, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe I am missing something, what is the need to use the TV's optical output with a HDMI source? I generally use the receiver's HDMI switch, so the TV is used just like a monitor. I would also like to get some additional comments on this TV.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-10-2014, 11:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post
I also wondered why you would go OUT from the TV to the AVR unless your AVR is outdated.

Shouldn't you run all devices to the AVR via HDMI and your AVR OUT to the TV using high speed HDMI ARC doing a passthrough? Letting the TV Upscale to UHD - you shouldn't have the AVR interfering with upscaling as the TV doesn't need it.

None of these TV's are AVR's so why send OUT from the TV - the AVR should be in control of Audio sources and passing video through - just seems a backwards approach.
I have to do it because my hdmi ports(circuit board?) are burned out on my avr. It's a pain because my hdmi cable is installed in the wall and the optical out is outside. The plus of the optical out is that thre aren't any lipsynch issues.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-13-2014, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, I upgraded to HDMI 2.0 bi-directional cables, an HDMI 2.0 4K@60Hz capable AV receiver, running ARC successfully, and have AQUOS link enabled with the AV Receiver to fully use the ARC HDMI channel. It's functioning perfectly now as it's only either the sharp TV audio only or the home theater audio only, but AQUOS Link (under the advanced settings) is intelligent enough to use the TV speakers when I turn off the receiver. ARC is a very cool surprise, and I'm quite impressed.

All of the Sharp tech reps I spoke with all have told me the same thing, digital optical audio out will not work with HDMI unless the source is utilizing the TV tuner via direct cable or Digital Antenna, and I competely understand, but I was a bit confused why it was working with my precious LC-70LE650U.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the LC-70UD27U. I ran a network firmware update right after I set it up. The out of box factory calibration is very good (human skin may look like pastel at times), but it still needs to be calibrated, the colors are vibrant and the viewing angle is good. I would rate screen uniformity an 8/10 only when it's completely black, but for the price tag of $3K this TV is a great deal, so much that my father-in-law is getting one for himself. It also has a built-in "chromecast" casting feature that u can cast from ur devices using any app that is chromecast capable (I can spare and move my chromecast to another TV now). The bezel design is thin and quite nice (nicer in person). The audio is quite loud from the TV (mostly sharp highs and minimal bass). Mounting it was a breeze, and the kids and wife love it. The motion is smooth, I will keep u updated on my experience!
post #8 of 8 Old 11-21-2014, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

All owners of the UD27U series TV's from Sharp please let me know if you experiencing this problem after performing today's firmware update that supposedly addresses the original issue of this thread. My TV no longer displays any video whatsoever from my 4K HDMI 2.0 receiver. The audio still works fine.

Note: The firmware was not the culprit. My new receiver was defective, so I swapped it out and it all works now!

Last edited by wadalove; 11-23-2014 at 03:46 AM. Reason: AV Receiver Note
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page