Fact or crap negative sales info about Vizio? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-24-2014, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Fact or crap negative sales info about Vizio?

I was in a Best Buy Magnolia store Sunday marveling over the recent price cuts on 60" and larger 4k and 1080p sets when a salesman started talking about what I was looking for. When I mentioned the P series was on my short list based mostly on price but backed up by positive reviews I had read on AVS forums he immediately started telling me about Vizio issues.

He said the reason they were dropping the prices so quickly were because they were using the same processor in the P series as the E or M series and were likely going to get sued over it. Then he said the build quality is poor and the internals are glued together. Might get lucky and get a decent one or might get a bum one, hard to say.

Now I work in sales and know that someone that jumps out selling negative against another brand that quickly is not going to be taken seriously but, has anyone else heard this about the processor? That they were using the same lower level processor as the E series in the new P series?

The salesmen said they were using software tricks to cram 4k processing into a weaker, lower line processor. And that they were falsely advertising the processor in the P series.

I mean I wasn't strongly considering the 60" P series until the price hit $1499, I mean that's crazy cheap. I'm still not 100% on getting a 4k and may very well walk away with a 65" 1080p like the Samsung 7000 series for about $1,400 but I've read people having issues with the build quality of them as well.

Its really an awesome time to be buying anything over 50" but man there are way too many options.

free Panasonic tc-p50s1
$99 black friday Sony blu-ray
nice cables
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-24-2014, 05:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
hey were using the same processor in the P series as the E or M series and were likely going to get sued over it.
Sued by just who??

There is a thread (somewhere) on all of these deceptive store tactics that have been and still are used every day, but I don't remember the title of the thread..

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-24-2014, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsedan View Post
I mean I wasn't strongly considering the 60" P series until the price hit $1499, I mean that's crazy cheap. I'm still not 100% on getting a 4k and may very well walk away with a 65" 1080p like the Samsung 7000 series for about $1,400 but I've read people having issues with the build quality of them as well.
The P60 was $998 on 11/15 for one day only, now that was crazy good! I bought one AND bought a Samsung 65 inch 7100 for $1500.

Ironically, I'm on my second Vizio because the first one was DoA, and I'm replacing my Samsung that is going bad with another Samsung. I don't think any of these TV's are of made of high quality parts, so the best you can do is pick the one that fits your budget based on what size/PQ you can afford, and get a 5yr Square Trade warranty. You'll likely be replacing TV's every 5 years or less at this point with how technology is changing. I don't need (or even want) it to last forever, it just needs to look good for the short few years it's my home.
post #4 of 7 Old 11-24-2014, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I agree, I view these pretty much as the manufacturers would want me to, disposable. I think for me a good 3-4 year cycle will keep me in decent tech if I make a good buying decision, having a 2-3 year warranty would be fine with me, my only concern is that the set dies a month after 2 years of warranty and I'm forced to replace earkuer than I like.

free Panasonic tc-p50s1
$99 black friday Sony blu-ray
nice cables
post #5 of 7 Old Yesterday, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 220
"MOST" Sales Reps in Retail Stores are transitional people otherwise one could not live on Retail wages and are not aficionado's in AVS culture and short on technology skills otherwise why would they be working for such low poverty wages?

The Sales Associate may be confusing the Smart Interface processor with the 4K upscaler and they are NOT one in the same. Would not be unusual to share the same Smart TV Platform/Processor but highly unlikely one could fake 4K upscaling especially with all the pro reviewers on the "P" series.

Perhaps he's confusing facts, there is a panel manufacturer in China that is being sued for falsely advertising 1080P TV's as UHD - that is a factual event but it's not a Vizio Provider. Vizio is in the process of switching most of their panel sources from AMTRAN to Foxconn and others - they'll only be using 10% AMTRAN in 2015.

Class Actions can be brought by virtually anyone for virtually anything.

I have met a few Sales Associates that were well intended but I'd say 90% are not up to date on their product or the future and most don't even know what CES, IFA, CEDIA are. Go into a Best Buy the third week of January and start quizzing them on new product announced at CES and most will be lost in space or parrot whatever manu rep told them during their last visit.

This isn't like the old days when Appliance Store Pro Salesmen made commissions and made a damn good living - today it's a holding place while that person is trying to make a real career move to real money as Retail is a top heavy that has poverty level trickle down money to the Sales Associates.

The only career money is at corporate not on the sales floor so please when we trash BB Sales and expect them to be AVS aficionado's or any Retail Store let's not pretend they are making any livable wages unless they are living with Mom/Dad with no household bills. However, it doesn't excuse lying about the manufacturers product.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's

Last edited by westa6969; Yesterday at 07:07 AM.
post #6 of 7 Old Yesterday, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I'd pretty much ignore anything a sales rep at a retail store, especially a big-box, has to say about technology or insider knowledge. It is a McJob, like Westa said. Other than "where is the restroom" and "do you have any of these in stock?" there's not much they'll know that you can count on. There are exceptions, but mostly, just nod your head and say something polite.

Like the one I was just talking to this weekend when I picked up a Samsung at BB for the black friday pricing. He said flat out that the 4k TV "didn't have an upscaler for 1080" Yes, it does, or it wouldn't play 1080 and even if you didn't know that, the Samsung demo running on it mentioned the upscaler.

nuke
post #7 of 7 Old Yesterday, 03:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
I view these pretty much as the manufacturers would want me to, disposable.
The you are telling us that you have been drinking the CEA's KoolAid?? I wish I had a dollar for every newbie that thinks getting a 4k set will make it "future proof". Wake up, it's the CEA you are dealing with.
Quote:
The only career money is at corporate not on the sales floor so please when we trash BB Sales and expect them to be AVS aficionado's or any Retail Store let's not pretend they are making any livable wages unless they are living with Mom/Dad with no household bills.
The ones who do the most get paid the least, the ones that hardly do anything get paid the most. There is no incentive for the "associates" to even try to learn anything. Yep, Capitalism at it's finest.

And they wonder why their retail sales are taking a nose dive.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page