Red light, orange blinking - can't get firmware to update - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old Yesterday, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Red light, orange blinking - can't get firmware to update

I replaced the main board on my Sony kdl-55hx820 and now I can't get the tv to work. When I power it up, I get a solid red light and a blinking orange light, which from what I've read means it wants to update the firmware. I downloaded the firmware to a usb (actually tried 4 different usb sticks, including a Sony Microvault stick listed on the sony site.).

The solid red and blinking orange continue for a few minutes then they go off and the green light goes on along with the Sony logo. This lasts a few seconds and then the solid red and blinking orange return.

It does this again.

Then it goes to the red light blinking 8 times.

I try to reset it by unplugging and waiting a minute. Once I plug it back in, the solid red and blinking orange light return and the cycle repeats itself.

I tried to do a reset following the instructions. When I perform the power reset, the red light comes on solid and the orange light is blinking after I plug the tv back in.

I have tried various versions of the factory reset, but always end up back at the sold red, blinking orange.

That then eventually cycles until it becomes the 8 blinking red light.

In one version of the factory reset, I plug the set back in. Holding the up arrow, hit the power button, this turns all the lights off. I keep holding the up button and hit the power button again. Then the Sony logo lights up for about 30 seconds and then a get a green light for a second then back to the solid red and blinking orange. No picture on the screen at any time.

Any more ideas? I'd really like to have my TV back.

Thanks for any help or insight you can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Yesterday, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I'd return it where I bought it. If you can't I'd buy a new TV. Black Friday baby! Seriously do a search for the thread with your TV in it and post there. You're not gonna get many hits on this thread, you don't even have the name of the TV in the title.

Samsung ES8000 65", Evo Kit installed, Yamaha AVR with Paradigm speakers, iMac, iPad, Apple TV and HTC One phone.
post #3 of 4 Old Yesterday, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Red light, orange blinking - Sony KDL55HX820

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebignewt View Post
I'd return it where I bought it. If you can't I'd buy a new TV. Black Friday baby! Seriously do a search for the thread with your TV in it and post there. You're not gonna get many hits on this thread, you don't even have the name of the TV in the title.
Thanks. But the TV is 4 years old so returning is not an option.
post #4 of 4 Old Today, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 102
A reset will do nothing for you. You have not completed the firmware installation.

I changed my BATL main board in a Sony KDL-55NX720 a few weeks ago and had the same problem installing the firmware. I had to repeat the USB firmware installation about 10 times to get it to take to conclusion and to stop the update firmware LED code. I even had to unplug the USB stick a few times and plug it back in, so I can not recommend any particular procedure for you.

My problem ended up being an intermittent problem with the LCD panel, so changing the main BATL board did not fix my problem.

Do you have the service manual for your TV? The 8 blinking red led code means firmware error in your TV, so you have to retry the firmware installation until it takes.

Service Manual here:

http://elektrotanya.com/sony_kdl-46h.../download.html
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page