Official 2015 Sharp 4K Owner's Thread (LC-70UD27U / LC-60UD27U) - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 190 Old 11-25-2014, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Smile Official 2015 Sharp 4K Owner's Thread (LC-70UD27U / LC-60UD27U)

Sharp's 2015 2nd generation 4K Ultra HD models are out at multiple retail stores and online stores in 70" and 60".

Sharp 70" LC-70UD27U MSRP: $3,599.99 ($2,999.99)

Sharp 60" LC-60UD27U MSRP: $3,199.99 ($1,799.99)

Experience AQUOS 4K

Installation Guide (PDF)

Owners Manual (PDF)

Quick Picture Specs: 8,294,400 pixels (3,840 x 2,160), ELFD (Edge-Lit Frame Dimming), 10,000,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio, 120hz Refresh Panel Rate
Quick Audio Specs: 10W x 2 + 15W(WF)
Quick Hint: Enable ARC: Menu > Setup > Advanced > AQUOS Link Setup

Useful Features:
  • THX® Certified 4K Display Picture Quality
  • Spectros™ Rich Color Display Offers 21% Wider Color Spectrum
  • AquoDimming™ precise pixel control reveals more pixels in darker scenes
  • Revelation™ 4K Ultra HD Upscaler makes HD content sharper and more vivid
  • Aquomotion™ 480 Refresh Rate
  • SmartCentral™ 3.0 (mobile apps available for download on iOS® and Android™)

Sharp's UD27U Downloads Page containing Firmware Update (latest firmware only, no archives available) and Product Manual Details.

Read Sharp's article on THX Certification here.

Feature(s) removed for 2nd generation: 3D

Inputs:
HDMI 1 (HDCP, ARC) 4:2:0
HDMI 2 (HDCP) 4:2:0
HDMI 3 (HDCP with 3.5mm audio in) 4:4:4 at 60Hz
HDMI 4 (HDCP 2.2, MHL) 4:2:0
USB 2.0 (3x)
SD Card Slot

Input Lag: TBD (recommendation from Sharp: "By using the "Game Mode" AV Mode, you will minimize the processing performed on the image (minimizing the image enhancement done to the input image). This will minimize the lag/latency experienced.")

BEST FEATURES FOR GAMING

View the original LC-70UD27U discussion thread here.

*This thread is to offer support and advice to current and future UD27U series owners
*Sharing LC-70UD27U Calibrations / LC-60UD27U Calibrations is encouraged
*Flaming of this product is not allowed

Sharp App Remote Setup: The iOS and Android Sharp remote control app instructions states that it should be setup up during initial setup of the TV in order for the app to control the TV successfully. If you decide to set this feature up after initial setup after you add the TV to the app, you will need to disconnect the power completely (power off the power strip or unplug the TV from the outlet) for 10 seconds, and power the TV up again in order for the remote app to control the TV successfully.

Last edited by wadalove; 02-20-2015 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Added THX Certified Video and Article, Sharp UD27U Downloads Page, BEST FEATURES FOR GAMING Article
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 190 Old 11-25-2014, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 24
wadalove,

I'm strongly considering the LC-60UD27U for my new TV. I'm curious if you have any input about input lag on the set?

Right now I've got a deposit on a LG 65UB9200, but that only supports 4:2:0 chroma subsampling at 4k. If I were to ever use this tv as a computer monitor, that would be a very bad thing if my understanding serves me.

The big $$ question though, is whether 1080p input DOES do 4:4:4 on current televisions?

Input lag is by far my greatest concern, as the primary use will be PS4/blu-ray. The chroma issue with the LG is a down-the-road potential problem. If anyone can answer the LG question at the same time, that would be most appreciated. I don't know how else to find out whether 4:2:0 is only 4k, or whether 1080p would also have bad results.

Thank you for your time.

Edit: Third question, being a THX certified display, I'd expect pretty phenomenal image quality. Does anyone know what type of panel this tv has? IPS? etc?

Last edited by Trekari; 11-25-2014 at 10:47 PM.
post #3 of 190 Old 11-26-2014, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Has anyone compared this set to the Samsung HU8550? I have the 65HU8550 and absolutely love it and got lucky with the panel lottery! However my brother in-law is in the Market for a new TV and is going between the HU8550 or this new Sharp.

I haven't seen this TV in person but it sounds pretty decent compared to Sharps 2014 model.
post #4 of 190 Old 11-26-2014, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
well....big bummer here.....had my 27U delivered from Amazon today....but when pilot opened it and plugged it in, the screen had about 10 horizontal lines in it.....the tv was cold, but i wasn't going to risk keeping it and trying it later. Amazon has to ship a replacement....hopefully second time is a charm.
post #5 of 190 Old 11-26-2014, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Looking forward to the arrival of my new 70UD27U on Saturday. Wanted to post here and see if we can get anyone who has already bought this set to comment on their impressions to date and to share any calibration settings they may have tried for optimized performance.
wadalove likes this.
post #6 of 190 Old 11-28-2014, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadalove View Post

Inputs:

HDMI 1 (HDCP, ARC) 4:2:0
HDMI 2 (HDCP) 4:2:0
HDMI 3 (HDCP with 3.5mm audio in) 4:4:4 at 60Hz
HDMI 4 (HDCP 2.2, MHL) 4:2:0
USB 2.0 (3x)
SD Card Slot
Have you been able to test the 4:4:4 @ 60Hz on HDMI 3 with a computer input?

I'm looking to get a 4K display to be used primarily as a computer screen, and this is one of the few displays that seems to be able to accommodate 4:4:4 at 60Hz. With it being priced in the mid-2500's it seems like a worthwhile jump up from competing 65" 4K displays.

l8r)
post #7 of 190 Old 11-28-2014, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm2376 View Post
...had my 27U delivered from Amazon today...hopefully second time is a charm.
You made the right decision to have it replaced. I hope the second set delivered to you has no defects. I am definitely curious about the safest minimal operating temperature of the unit. What approx. temperature would you say the TV was at when you turned it on? I can follow up with Sharp support on this to see if they have a recommendation on operating temps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludikraut View Post

I'm looking to get a 4K display to be used primarily as a computer screen, and this is one of the few displays that seems to be able to accommodate 4:4:4 at 60Hz...

l8r)
I will be testing this week, so I will follow up with an update soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekari View Post
...I'm curious if you have any input about input lag on the set?

Right now I've got a deposit on a LG 65UB9200, but that only supports 4:2:0 chroma subsampling at 4k. If I were to ever use this tv as a computer monitor, that would be a very bad thing if my understanding serves me.

The big $$ question though, is whether 1080p input DOES do 4:4:4 on current televisions?

Input lag is by far my greatest concern, as the primary use will be PS4/blu-ray. The chroma issue with the LG is a down-the-road potential problem. If anyone can answer the LG question at the same time, that would be most appreciated. I don't know how else to find out whether 4:2:0 is only 4k, or whether 1080p would also have bad results.

Thank you for your time.

Edit: Third question, being a THX certified display, I'd expect pretty phenomenal image quality. Does anyone know what type of panel this tv has? IPS? etc?
Correct, the LG 65UB9200 does not support 4:4:4, so the Sharp UD27U series will fit your needs.

A Sharp rep has communicated with me to set the AV Viewing Mode to Gaming to minimize input lag when running HDMI 3 at full chroma 4:4:4. This will disable Motion Enhancement and lower the brightness. The input lag spec is still TBD at the moment.

The UD27U Series are ELFD (Edge-Lit Frame Dimming which means the entire picture changes brightness on a frame-by-frame basis).

Last edited by wadalove; 11-28-2014 at 11:20 PM.
post #8 of 190 Old 11-29-2014, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just brought this set home last night (LC-70UD27U). Out of the box, set up and all is well so far. Need to tweak somewhat. But that's half the fun! I could not get the wireless to find my router so I direct wired. Found an update and all went well. Don't know why it would not find a wireless access point?
post #9 of 190 Old 11-29-2014, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Had the LC-70UD27U delivered yesterday. The picture quality looks great (esp. in Movie THX mode). However, the software seems to be designed/implemented in a suboptimal manner:

1. Smart central only included 5-6 apps (missing Flickr, Picasa etc. as advertised) after updating the firmware to 114U1411181 (released on Nov 21). Had a call with their custom rep today, and the answer I got was ``missing apps will be included in future updates with no ETA".

2. The mobile app ``Sharp SmartCentral" was unable to detect the TV in the same network. I tried it on both an iPhone 5c and a Nexus 7 with no luck.
post #10 of 190 Old 11-29-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:
...had my 27U delivered from Amazon today...hopefully second time is a charm.
You made the right decision to have it replaced. I hope the second set delivered to you has no defects. I am definitely curious about the safest minimal operating temperature of the unit. What approx. temperature would you say the TV was at when you turned it on? I can follow up with Sharp support on this to see if they have a recommendation on operating temps.

Quote:

I'm looking to get a 4K display to be used primarily as a computer screen, and this is one of the few displays that seems to be able to accommodate 4:4:4 at 60Hz...

l8r)
I will be testing this week, so I will follow up with an update soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekari View Post
...I'm curious if you have any input about input lag on the set?

Thank you for your time.

Correct, the LG 65UB9200 does not support 4:4:4, so the Sharp UD27U series will fit your needs.

A Sharp rep has communicated with me to set the AV Viewing Mode to Gaming to minimize input lag when running HDMI 3 at full chroma 4:4:4. This will disable Motion Enhancement and lower the brightness. The input lag spec is still TBD at the moment.

The UD27U Series are ELFD (Edge-Lit Frame Dimming which means the entire picture changes brightness on a frame-by-frame basis).
I would say the temo outside was about 25 degrees when it was delivered, so somewhere near that.
post #11 of 190 Old 11-29-2014, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Wadalove, thank you very much for your reply. How is viewing angle? I picked up the Samsung UN60HU8550 and I definitely notice a loss of saturation on the screen edges from even straight in viewing angles.
post #12 of 190 Old 12-01-2014, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Got my TV LC-70UD27U on Saturday. Waited until it had acclimated to room temperature to start it up for the first time. So far it seems to be performing great. Color looks pretty accurate, although some tweaking needed (waiting on settings posts from others). Did well on not being too reflective of overhead lights. Does well on Netflix, regular and HD Fios signals and blue rays. No pronounced viewing angle issues were noticed. Setup was quick and seamless. Update ran flawlessly (slow on apps update). TV seemed to hold zoom settings when looking at internal settings menus (had to zoom back out for tinkering). Odd button placement for source on remote and sound ok but nothing to write home about (I figure a sound-bar will need to be added). Same as others' comments on 1) recognizing wireless network (I had to set it up manually); 2) limited apps loaded and no apparent way to download more (conspicuously missing Hulu+); 3) remote app smart central was unable to detect the TV or its input IP address even though both looking at the same router. If anyone has a fix for items 2 & 3 above, please let us all know.
wadalove likes this.
post #13 of 190 Old 12-01-2014, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

l8r)
Update (Feb 2015) with GTX980 4:4:4 full chroma subsampling test 2160P at 60hz:

Confirmed 4:4:4 full chroma subsampling support on HDMI 3 as I can read the bottom line clearly. This is a shot with my camera:

Last edited by wadalove; 02-19-2015 at 03:55 PM. Reason: GTX980 4:4:4 full chroma subsampling test 2160P at 60hz
post #14 of 190 Old 12-01-2014, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Here's my three tests of 4:4:4 full chroma subsampling on the LC-70UD27U on HDMI 3 at 1920x1080 (TV is doing the 4K Up-Res) from a GTX580 via HDMI. Viewing mode is on 'PC'. I apologize in advanced of the lens distortion as it was shot by a Sony RX100 II:

Test 1

Test 2

Test 3

Once I get in a GTX980 or GTX970 I will report back with full 3840x2160 resolution.
don't miss Asus strix,probably the highest rated card out there,I have one gtx 970 and I'm completely satisfied with my purchase.
post #15 of 190 Old 12-01-2014, 05:23 PM

Liked: 11
I settled on the 60UD27U this weekend as it was reasonably reduced for my budget. Looked at the Samsung 8550 but some how I am drawn to sharp ( they supply panels to all other makers). I have to say that after some tweaking of the default settings, turning off film mode, and 120 hz low for now I am really pleased. This thing is as bright as a samsung but in a better way , colors are more defined THX Movie mode is fantastic, viewing angle is better than the 8550. Paired it with an Onkyo HTR693 system.
I am positive that once I get round to some better settings this TV is really fantastic. Had same issue with wireless but figured go wired for a stable connection for 4K streaming.
wadalove likes this.
post #16 of 190 Old 12-02-2014, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantech View Post
Got my TV LC-70UD27U on Saturday. Waited until it had acclimated to room temperature to start it up for the first time. So far it seems to be performing great. Color looks pretty accurate, although some tweaking needed (waiting on settings posts from others). Did well on not being too reflective of overhead lights. Does well on Netflix, regular and HD Fios signals and blue rays. No pronounced viewing angle issues were noticed. Setup was quick and seamless. Update ran flawlessly (slow on apps update). TV seemed to hold zoom settings when looking at internal settings menus (had to zoom back out for tinkering). Odd button placement for source on remote and sound ok but nothing to write home about (I figure a sound-bar will need to be added). Same as others' comments on 1) recognizing wireless network (I had to set it up manually); 2) limited apps loaded and no apparent way to download more (conspicuously missing Hulu+); 3) remote app smart central was unable to detect the TV or its input IP address even though both looking at the same router. If anyone has a fix for items 2 & 3 above, please let us all know.
Here is what the Sharp rep did when the display TV at BB was setup (so I followed suit via the hard-wire ethernet route first):

1) Mounted, powered on the TV, and completed basic setup.
2) Ran the firmware update through hard-wire ethernet.
3) Played 4K content via a USB thumb drive.

After I was all setup with the firmware update, I was able to detect the wireless network from the list. I had no pronounced problems on viewing angles as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaterdad View Post
I settled on the 60UD27U this weekend as it was reasonably reduced for my budget. Looked at the Samsung 8550 but some how I am drawn to sharp ( they supply panels to all other makers). I have to say that after some tweaking of the default settings, turning off film mode, and 120 hz low for now I am really pleased. This thing is as bright as a samsung but in a better way , colors are more defined THX Movie mode is fantastic, viewing angle is better than the 8550. Paired it with an Onkyo HTR693 system.
I am positive that once I get round to some better settings this TV is really fantastic. Had same issue with wireless but figured go wired for a stable connection for 4K streaming.
Congrats on the LC-60UD27U. I'd have to agree on THX Movie viewing mode, the viewing experience is on point (I just watched "Space Pirate Captain Harlock"on Netflix as well as 4K nature footage and it was quite impressive on details and color).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dprojector View Post
don't miss Asus strix,probably the highest rated card out there,I have one gtx 970 and I'm completely satisfied with my purchase.
That's a good video card. I picked up an EVGA SC ACX 2.0 4GB GTX980 (ASUS STRIX GTX980 at my local store is out of stock, and I will follow up with a full chroma subsampling test at 4K UHD 3840x2160 resolution soon).

Edit: I ended up swapping the EVGA GTX980 SC ACX 2.0 4GB for the ASUS GTX980 STRIX 4GB as soon as it was in stock, and I do feel just a small bit of better performance from it over the EVGA. I'm still experiencing random line flicker / flickering on the screen at 2160p 60hz with NVIDIA's latest driver. I may just return the 4GB and opt to wait for the Ti 8GB model in hopes it will perform better at 4K UHD resolution.

For 4K gaming performance purposes, it is recommended to run two NVIDIA GTX980's in SLI, two RADEON R9 290's in Crossfire, or a RADEON R9 295x2.
baipai likes this.

Last edited by wadalove; 12-19-2014 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Swapped the EVGA GTX980 SC ACX 2.0 for an ASUS GTX980 STRIX
post #17 of 190 Old 12-02-2014, 02:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 765
post #18 of 190 Old 12-03-2014, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
These units do have a great price point for sure........
How would you compare these to a 65HU8550? My brother in-law is in the market for one and is going between the new 70" sharp and the 65hu8550.

I personally have the 65hu8550, I absolutely love it and got lucky with an almost perfect panel (no flash lighting or clouding).

The local stores near our house doesn't have any of the new Sharps on display yet so we can't see it physically to compare.
post #19 of 190 Old 12-03-2014, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Any info on input lag yet guys?
post #20 of 190 Old 12-03-2014, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treyplay View Post
Any info on input lag yet guys?
This is what I received from Sharp Tech Support when I asked them about the input lag specification: "I apologize for the inconvenience but the only information available is the following recommendation. By using the "Game Mode" AV Mode, you will minimize the processing performed on the image (minimizing the image enhancement done to the input image). This will minimize the lag/latency experienced."

I just followed up with them again for the input lag specification measured in 'ms', so I will post it here immediately when it is available.

From my experience of gaming from a PC via HDMI (GTX580 and a GTX980), I have not noticed any input lag. The "Game Mode" seems to have solved any input lag issues for me.
post #21 of 190 Old 12-03-2014, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Awesome news Wadalove, keep us updated when you get the ms time. Thanks!
post #22 of 190 Old 12-04-2014, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Is any user running a GTX970 or GTX980 at 3840x2160 60Hz on your 4K TV at the moment? If so, how is it performing and which drivers are you running on which OS?

I'm running 344.80 on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1.

During first setup of the GTX980 to display 3840x2160, it was not going smoothly because I was only trying to adjust resolution from the Windows > Screen Resolution option, but the correct way is to use the NVIDIA Control Panel > Display > Change Resolution, Under Resolution > PC, select 3840 x 2160 (native) which will set your resolution to 3840 x 2460 at 60Hz (the Ultra HD, HD, SD section will only allow 30Hz max).

When running the GTX980 on the LC-70UD27U I notice a random one line flickering particularly in the same spot in the upper two-thirds and lower of the screen (I'll post a video soon) around every minute to few minutes, so I'm wondering if it's the drivers causing that since the drivers for the 900 series are fairly new (and I'm hoping it's not the hardware on the TV). I need to rule out that it's not the TV itself that's doing this, so I will be testing with Knoppix and Ubuntu Live tonight to see if Linux behaving the similarly. I will follow up with an update.

Last edited by wadalove; 12-07-2014 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Instructions to set resolution correctly
post #23 of 190 Old 12-04-2014, 03:48 PM

Got my LC-70ud27u replacement today. So far not bad. Connected wireless to my network with zero issues, updated the firmware wireless in about 10 minutes. There is some minor clouding, but no more than my Samsung 8150 or two year old Samsung 7100. The metal bezel in the bottom right corner is not completely seated right, but not enough of a issue to be a concern. Has anyone used the smart central app for android? I have no idea how to contect. I have the remote enabled on the tv, I hit discover on the app, and nothing happens.
wadalove likes this.
post #24 of 190 Old 12-04-2014, 08:26 PM

how does this look? it seems worse than i though in a dark room....
http://s272.photobucket.com/user/gm2...cd1a4.jpg.html
post #25 of 190 Old 12-07-2014, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
how does this look? it seems worse than i though in a dark room....
http://s272.photobucket.com/user/gm2...cd1a4.jpg.html
I've also got the same amount of clouding but in different patterns, but it doesn't present a problem during content playback, gaming, or movies on my end.

Here's a shot of the screen on black. Don't mind the white line on the bottom, as it's just the task bar.

On a follow up note on my previous post on running a GTX980 with the Sharp LC-70UD27U:

Here are some benchmark tests in Metro Last Light on HDMI 3 4:4:4 from a GTX980, TV settings on AV Mode 'Game' at 3840x2160 at 60Hz:

Believe it or not, the results have been reporting back more than 60fps (I do not know how but it is) on low and normal settings. Low and High benchmark results are as follows:

Low Settings reveal max fps of 122 fps, low of 14 fps, average of 72 fps:

High Settings reveal max fps of 31 fps, low of 9 fps, average of 20 fps:

I also posted up a quick video of the benchmark reporting over 60 fps:

Maybe someone can chime in on this? I have no explanation on how it's hitting over 60 fps on the benchmark when the TV resolution is set to 60 Hz at the moment.
gm2376 likes this.
post #26 of 190 Old 12-08-2014, 01:49 PM

ok, it looks to be the norm, though the brighter white blotch on the lower left of mine ins a little irritating. was thinking of maybe backing out the screws on the case a 1/8 or so to see if it decreases some pressure........has nay one done any calibrations yet? I am using the THX movie mode, it looks good, but a little cool. Also, are you putting the pixel drive to on or off?
post #27 of 190 Old 12-08-2014, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Got the 70 inch model coming.Would it be possible for anyone to give me the measurement from the edge to edge on the base.I am not sure if the stand I have is going to be wide enough for it.I want to make sure I am ready when it is delivered.Thanks.
post #28 of 190 Old 12-09-2014, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lc-60ud27u

Long time reader first time poster. I just got the LC-60UD27U today. I received the tv as a warranty replacement for a LC60LE757U. had a decent sized purple spot top middle of screen. I've played with the settings a little bit and so far I like the pic quality more than the previous tv. I prefer a bright picture and wondered if anyone had a preferred calibration yet. As far as the up scaling feature on the tv goes i'm assuming we control that in the settings under resolution. any help or opinions are appreciated. I'll be testing Advanced Warfare on 360 in a little bit and will reply with my thoughts on any input lag
post #29 of 190 Old 12-09-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
ok, it looks to be the norm, though the brighter white blotch on the lower left of mine ins a little irritating. was thinking of maybe backing out the screws on the case a 1/8 or so to see if it decreases some pressure........has nay one done any calibrations yet? I am using the THX movie mode, it looks good, but a little cool. Also, are you putting the pixel drive to on or off?
My stand is 57 3/4" wide, the base has about 1/4" on each side to the edge of the stand so I would say your stand would have to be 57 1/4" wide or it will hang over.
post #30 of 190 Old 12-09-2014, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Experienced no input lag at all playing advanced warfare on 360
wadalove likes this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - (LC-70UD27U by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page