AVS Forum banner

65" Under 2k Coming from Pioneer Kuro

870 views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  s2mikey 
#1 ·
Hello Gents,

I've done quite a bit of research, but honestly my head is about to explode.

I have a 720p Pioneer Kuro which is approximately 8 years old now and is starting to become underwhelming. Im not sure if I just have gear lust or what, but Im upgrading my game console and we sit close enough to the screen where the 1080p missing will become noticable. Also, ive started to notice artifacts popping up on the screen in the blacks and, I believe, diminishing "pop" from the display.

That brings us to today, I would like a 65" 1080p(dont care about 4k right now) under 2 grand if possible. The screen real estate will be enormous and, with it, the 1080p will obviously be necessary. The issue Im finding looking around is that people seem to still be comparing LCD/LED's to plasmas as far as contrast, black levels and motion. It feels a bit like people are waiting for OLED to come in and save the day and Im kind of scared im making a mistake. I had high hopes for the Vizio P series 65" but the pro reviews seems kinda meh so far.

I have no problem holding off for a few months, but I kind of get the feeling that right now might not be the best time to upgrade. Given my current setup, my budget, and where I'd like to be, I'd love your expert opinions.

See less See more
#3 ·
I am in the same boat. We have had a 50" kuro and love it, however that 65 samsung caught my eye last night. I think the problem lies in the fact that most tvs will give an outstanding performance it is the little nuances that I get trapped in and researching. I researched the kuro alot but black levels and contrast were the only parameters that i really remember considering. 4k, 3d, smart, so many choices it is overwhelming when all you really want is the best bang for your buck.

#5 ·
Is going down to 60" an option? If so I would say the Samsung F8500 is your best bet. They have a 64" as well, but it's out of your budget at $2500, and also $1000 more than the 60" ... so not the best value.

I wouldn't bother with LCD, there's really not many good FALD options that are affordable this year. As for OLED, it probably won't hit that price point anytime soon in 65". I think we may see the 55" drop that low (outside of the Microcenter deal) later next year.

#6 ·
Is going down to 60" an option? If so I would say the Samsung F8500 is your best bet. They have a 64" as well, but it's out of your budget at $2500, and also $1000 more than the 60" ... so not the best value.
I'd just try to scrounge up the extra 500 bucks... 8500 is the way to go... 64" is too because when I bought it the 64" size already feels small. I just got the 8500 last month.

I was sold when I-magic told me it was one of the best purchases he ever made... I've found that I agree :) I was really wow'd when I saw it. At the store it didn't look like much... (if you do compare notice the black levels are much darker compared to other sets) but when you start watching high quality content it really does outperform many other high quality sets. My bro in law got the fancy Sony 4k set... I thought my set looks just as good if not better. I watched a lot of the same material on my TV as I watched on his set. If one is superior to the other it really is splitting hairs with a 1,000 dollar price difference!

#7 ·
I'm in the same boat and I can tell ya right now that you will be sacrificing a LOT of image quality for some screen inches and going to LED. The blacks will be mostly bleh and various other issues will be present.

Us KURO guys are having a helluva time adapting to these mediocre LEDs.

But, you do get a lot of screen for your money and let's face it, LEDs do a few things better than plasma. Not many, but a few.

I'm personally looking at the 6350 series from Samsung and maybe the sharp 650 series.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.