**Official** LG 65LB5200 Owners Thread - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 119 Old 12-02-2014, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
**Official** LG 65LB5200 Owners Thread

Just purchased this TV from BB during Black Friday sale. Still waiting for delivery to my new home on the day after we close. Looking for some info from current owners and I'll share once I have the set in house this month.

I currently own a Vizio M Series 70" and will be using that for main TV. This LG is going in the basement playroom. Couldn't resist for the price.

Its not a "smart" TV and has no apps so I'll be plugging in a Roku Stick.

Looking forward to finding out more about this TV.

My Blog > World's Fastest Website | Vizio Owners Guide | Vizio Calibration (updated)

My Equipment: 70" Vizio M-Series | Directv HR34-700 | Denon AVR-591 | Harmony Smart Control | Samsung LNT-5265 | PS3

Last edited by vestaviascott; 12-02-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 119 Old 12-02-2014, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just bought this TV as well on Black Friday. I've been an avid LG supporter for quite some time and it was coincidentally the right time for me to upgrade. They delivered it this morning and after setting everything up I will say I thoroughly enjoy this TV. The one thing I was having some trouble with was finding the perfect picture settings. Some things don't look clear enough and the true motion makes them clearer but I noticed a bad motion blurring around moving objects at certain times. I love it but I need help with the settings for sure. Let me know what looks best for you when you've got it set up
post #3 of 119 Old 12-03-2014, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 58
Thanks for the update. What are the options for the "true motion" settings? I'm assuming that's the one where you can get the "soap opera" effect when its turned all the way up?

My Blog > World's Fastest Website | Vizio Owners Guide | Vizio Calibration (updated)

My Equipment: 70" Vizio M-Series | Directv HR34-700 | Denon AVR-591 | Harmony Smart Control | Samsung LNT-5265 | PS3
post #4 of 119 Old 12-03-2014, 09:27 AM

TruMotion

No, unfortunately there are no custom settings for TruMotion. I thought maybe I could tweak it to perfection but there is only an On and Off function. This bugged me as well. I posted in the 2014 LG Thread on here and have gotten a couple responses for trying to tweak the picture settings. Not really sure if there's much else to do to enhance picture quality though. Obviously I would love to get the best out of my TV but it seems as if this might be the best quality I'll be getting out of it. It's not bad at all, especially when using my PS4 or Netflix. It looks incredible on those platforms, but watching television on my Xbox One looks a little grainy even when on HD channels. Not sure how to fix that at all. Here are my current specs right now. Let me know what you think, also please let me know what looks perfect for you as soon as you get yours:

Backlight: 70
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 50
Sharpness: 30
Color: 65
Tint:0
Color Temperature: C50
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Black Level: Low
Real Cinema: Off
TruMotion: On
Dynamic contrast: High
Dynamic color: High
Skin color: 0
Grass Color: 0
Sky Color: 0
Gamma: Medium
post #5 of 119 Old 12-03-2014, 10:49 AM

wrong refresh rate listed

Also I just found out by speaking with LG directly that the tv is actually 50/60 Hz. This is not ok. Best Buy has it listed still at 120 Hz. I thought I was buying a tv with 120 Hz and that would explain why the picture quality is lower than expected. It's just not okay. I know you bought yours from there as well, so I'm letting you know beforehand. I'm calling Best Buy right now to tell them about this false advertising and to get myself a replacement tv.
post #6 of 119 Old 12-03-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoColin View Post
Also I just found out by speaking with LG directly that the tv is actually 50/60 Hz. This is not ok. Best Buy has it listed still at 120 Hz. I thought I was buying a tv with 120 Hz and that would explain why the picture quality is lower than expected. It's just not okay. I know you bought yours from there as well, so I'm letting you know beforehand. I'm calling Best Buy right now to tell them about this false advertising and to get myself a replacement tv.
Interesting. Although I posted some info in the main 2014 LG thread, there is actually very little info on the specs of this TV.

I have this TV inbound, so I'll be posting a bit in this thread if I have anything useful to add - and maybe even if I don't.

What is it about 60Hz vs 120 Hz that concerns you, by the way? Is it the ability to do the frame interpolation cleanly at a higher displayed frame rate?

There is a general consensus that TVs that are 120Hz (or higher) tend to have better overall image quality, because the overall package is pricier.

For me, it is support of 24p content (although even that isn't important for how I'm going to use my particular set). I just want to avoid 3:2 pulldown at 60Hz. If 24p content gets displayed at 48Hz through 2:2 pulldown, that should look identical to getting displayed at 120Hz via 5:5 on an LCD-type display.

But as mentioned, even that isn't all that important to me - this will be used for Cable TV (720p and 1080i 60 Hz stuff) and the occasional casual BD viewing. I just wanted an inexpensive but big-enough and reasonably reliable (i.e. long-lasting) TV for the family room. Hopefully it fits that bill for me. But I understand if others want more out of this model.

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #7 of 119 Old 12-03-2014, 11:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Backlight: 70
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 50
Sharpness: 30
Color: 65
Tint:0
Color Temperature: C50
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Black Level: Low
Real Cinema: Off
TruMotion: On
Dynamic contrast: High
Dynamic color: High
Skin color: 0
Grass Color: 0
Sky Color: 0
Gamma: Medium
Thank you for these settings. I messed around with the TV when I got it (Saturday Nov 29, from Best Buy, $800), but just couldn't seem to find a config I liked. Yours is near-perfect. The only things I changed is I have Dyn Cont OFF, and Dyn Col MED. Otherwise, all other settings are identical to yours.
post #8 of 119 Old 12-04-2014, 01:17 AM

No Problem! Glad to hear you're satisfied with the TV. I couldn't be after toying around with it so much though. I just got frustrated and looked up as much as I could on it. Found out that the refresh rate was not what it was advertised at and along with a few other issues I had with it, I exchanged it and I have actually switched brands. I am generally an avid LG supporter but because of the false specs on behalf of Best Buy and the lack of pure quality I expected from the TV, I got a 60" Vizio 4K Smart TV in exchange for a very small amount more. Trying that out, hopefully I see great results. I've heard nothing but good things about it and I am beyond excited to get even more than I paid for. It arrives next week.

Overall I would give the 65LB5200 LG TV a 3/5. Not terrible but just not what it should, or could, be. Even after trying to configure it for the best settings I just was not satisfied. The TruMotion doesn't make up for the somewhat poor / grainy quality. Edges of lines and texts are extremely choppy at times and backgrounds are constantly grainy. The TruMotion also produces horrible blurring around moving objects sometimes, you might notice it when someone moves their hand in a sweeping motion or gives a head jolt, it can be extremely distracting and jarring. One other problem I had with it was the placement of the legs. I prefer a middle TV stand. Those legs are annoying and make it so you need a larger surface to put the TV on. (47" surface to be exact).

I am very glad you are getting a lot out of your TV and also with the settings I provided. Hope everything continues to go swimmingly.
post #9 of 119 Old 12-04-2014, 02:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:

I wouldn't exactly blame this on Best Buy. Manufacturers have become very fond of using marketing speak and fake numbers to obfuscate true refresh rates, so much so that it's extremely hard to determine what the actual refresh rate is. Instead of advertising this as a 60Hz TV, LG says it has a "Motion Clarity Index" of 480. Especially confusing because they use MCI 480 on native 120Hz TVs in their lineup. They do it on purpose.

Another example: I have 2 Sony LCDs, both with "Motionflow XR240." One is natively 60Hz while the other is 120Hz. Go figure.

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio Silver RX6, RX Centre, RX1; ML Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Panasonic BDT500, Oppo 103D, ATV, Nexus Player, Panamax M-5100PM
2ch Sonus faber Toy Monitor, REL T3, Marantz PM8004, Sony ST-SA50ES, Sony BDP-S1000ES, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Sony 32" W650A, Panamax MR4300
desktop Monitor Audio Radius 90HD [rosemah], Audioengine D1, FiiO A1 Amplifier, Sennheiser HD598
post #10 of 119 Old 12-04-2014, 06:30 AM

Has anyone with this TV had a flickering issue? I'd link the video I took, but I don't have enough posts to post a link.

I Google'd it. Some people said it's due to the "Energy Saving" option, and if it's set to "off", flicker may occur. I checked. Mine was set to "off". I changed it to Medium, and no problems so far, so I'm hoping that was it. Any other ideas/suggestions maybe?
post #11 of 119 Old 12-04-2014, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Am thinking of picking up this TV soon but I read a lot of light bleed issues online. Have you guys experienced that?
post #12 of 119 Old 12-06-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

My 65LB5200 came yesterday, bought From Amazon during the BF-week dealio. CEVA showed up in the alloted window, was quick, friendly and efficient, unboxed it, and powered it up to make sure it at least could display TV-reception white-noise.

My GF and I hung it on the wall, using a Monoprice wall mount (which seems very well made, sturdy, and was easy to put up). I used an extra thin spacer for the lower bolts on the arms that attach to the TV - the longish M6 bolts that came with the mount were bottoming out. Yes, you need to use the thick spacers that come with the TV for the top bolt mount points.

Anyway, onto the TV itself - after adjusting the settings a bit from out of the box (turned off the "Normal" and MPEG Noise Reductions, will tweak other settings later) it looks good enough for me. I turned off the TruMotion at first, but put it back on for the college football, where it looked much better than the "AMP" from my Samsung 7 years ago - much fewer artifacts. I will turn it off for movies, though.

I did notice some very slight DSE while watching a bit of hockey, but I really had to look for it - it is not noticeable (to me) under normal use.

I don't see any flashlighting or backlight bleed issues. I don't watch in a pitch-black room though (that's what the home theater room is for with the PJs!)

The screen reflectivity is not a problem for me - I know some folks have issues with such stuff, but the minor tilt I put into the mount to get the screen square with the viewing angle made the few problematic lights go away.

So here's an issue that seems to be unrelated to the TV, but I'll mention it in case anyone else experiences it:

Prior to the LG arriving I tested the installation of the TV by using a known-good TV that connects via HDMI, handles 24p, is 1080 resolution size, etc. After installing the LG via HDMI, things worked pretty good, except every now and then, after powering up, the cable box wouldn't get a good HDCP handshake (I assume), and no video would appear. I changed a setting on my AVR (Onkyo 606), switching the HDMI resolution setting from "AUTO" to "Passthrough". The issue seemed to go away. My BD player also powered up and worked fine both video and audio via HDMI.

This morning the TV wouldn't display anything - "No signal" no matter what source was selected. Tried different HDMI inputs on the TV, swapped cables, etc. No dice. I bypassed the AVR, and everything works fine with the TV and source directly connected via HDMI. So obviously my Onkyo 606 AVR's HDMI/HDCP processing is grumpy. The AVR outputs HDMI just fine to the TV, but only from Component sources. I guess when it worked yesterday evening that was the last hurrah, and it died peacefully in its sleep overnight. Growf.

This is the second Onkyo 606 to fail on me, HDMI-wise, as well as an 808 (which was repaired under warranty). The 606 is not worth fixing, I'll just put up with component connections until next Xmas or something (and I will not get another Onkyo!). Cable box doesn't output anything better than 1080i and regular DD anyway... But I was so happy to have cleaned up the cabling...which is now back to being a relative mess. Oh well.

One final note on the TV: this 65" weighs less than the eight-year-old 42" LG LCD that it replaced (old TV moved to a bedroom). At that rate, in eight more years 65" TVs should pretty well be weightless...

Another final note: my viewing distance has increased by just over a foot, because the old TV was stand-mounted on a console, and the new one is wall mounted. So there is a bit of apples-to-oranges in terms of perceived IQ, but overall this TV completely overwhelms the old one (which was 720p) - color, contrast, brightness are all improved, and the higher resolution on the bigger screen looks great. So if one is looking to upgrade an old TV that was not bleeding edge when you bought it, and you don't need Smart TV stuff, and if you're going bigger, this is a darned fine solution.

Anyway, I'll post more thoughts after the new-TV-smell fades...

IMHO, YMMV, AFAIK, etc.

post #13 of 119 Old 12-07-2014, 07:05 AM

Liked: 10
Does anyone know how to get the discrete remote codes for the logitech harmony remotes for this TV. I can use the remote to switch inputs via the input switcher but jumping from HDMI 1 to HDMI 3 at the press of a button does not seem to work at all. Not a huge deal but makes switching inputs for Activities like Watch TV and Play Xbox take a lot longer. Please help if you can!

Chris
post #14 of 119 Old 12-09-2014, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Picked it up today at Best Buy and priced matched it to Walmarts price of $699 haha So far i'm content with the picture quality it's not as bad as I thought EDGE lit would be. I can tell one corner the LED light is sorta visible in a black screen but once there is something on screen I can't see it.

I think people having excessive light bleed either got damaged in shipping and or just a bad batch of launch panels. I'm going to try the thumb tap on the corner light see if it helps a bit.

All in all the TV is great I have noticed ghosting in PC games but a screen this size and price usually have 5+ responce time. Messing with the graphics card control panel helped a bit.
post #15 of 119 Old 12-10-2014, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingname View Post
Picked it up today at Best Buy and priced matched it to Walmarts price of $699 haha So far i'm content with the picture quality it's not as bad as I thought EDGE lit would be. I can tell one corner the LED light is sorta visible in a black screen but once there is something on screen I can't see it.

I think people having excessive light bleed either got damaged in shipping and or just a bad batch of launch panels. I'm going to try the thumb tap on the corner light see if it helps a bit.

All in all the TV is great I have noticed ghosting in PC games but a screen this size and price usually have 5+ responce time. Messing with the graphics card control panel helped a bit.
Planning to do the same thing today...can someone post the dimensions of the box - want to confirm it fits in our suv Thanks!
post #16 of 119 Old 12-10-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by love10014 View Post
Planning to do the same thing today...can someone post the dimensions of the box - want to confirm it fits in our suv Thanks!
My box is still in the garage at home, and I'm at work, but IIRC the box is about 6" longer and 8" taller than the actual TV without stand, which has dimensions of 58" x 34". So the box is about 64" long x 42" tall. Box is about 7 or 8 inches thick. If I remember (ha!), I will try to check the actual size tonight.

If the box fits in your SUV, you have a very big SUV! (I'm assuming you aren't laying it flat! That is a bad thing to do to a big piece of high-tech glass!)

post #17 of 119 Old 12-10-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris00780 View Post
Does anyone know how to get the discrete remote codes for the logitech harmony remotes for this TV. I can use the remote to switch inputs via the input switcher but jumping from HDMI 1 to HDMI 3 at the press of a button does not seem to work at all. Not a huge deal but makes switching inputs for Activities like Watch TV and Play Xbox take a lot longer. Please help if you can!

Chris
I could not find any discrete commands for input selection. I had to program my Harmony to command "Input" to bring up the Input mode, then number of presses to get it cycled to the appropriate other input, then enter to select. yeah, it takes quite a few seconds.

Wouldn't be an issue if I was using a single HDMI input from my AVR, but I have my two sources connected directly to the TV because the AVR's HDMI stuff is wonky (thanks Onkyo! grrr...).

The discrete input commands that seem to be available do not work.

In other words: Sorry, I got nothin'.

post #18 of 119 Old 12-10-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post
My box is still in the garage at home, and I'm at work, but IIRC the box is about 6" longer and 8" taller than the actual TV without stand, which has dimensions of 58" x 34". So the box is about 64" long x 42" tall. Box is about 7 or 8 inches thick. If I remember (ha!), I will try to check the actual size tonight.

If the box fits in your SUV, you have a very big SUV! (I'm assuming you aren't laying it flat! That is a bad thing to do to a big piece of high-tech glass!)
We were planning on sliding it kind of tilted - should we not do this? I think we did this for our 60 last year. It's about 15 blocks.

Thanks!
post #19 of 119 Old 12-10-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
We were planning on sliding it kind of tilted - should we not do this? I think we did this for our 60 last year. It's about 15 blocks.

Thanks!
Well, vertical is best, so it depends on what you mean by "kind of tilted". A 15 deg tilt would probably be fine, but 45 deg would be bad. The issue is that such a large piece of glass, made so thin, can easily be over stressed by its own weight if banged around. 15 blocks of smooth new asphalt is probably fine, but 15 blocks of Montreal or Buffalo streets would worry me!

post #20 of 119 Old 12-10-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Well, vertical is best, so it depends on what you mean by "kind of tilted". A 15 deg tilt would probably be fine, but 45 deg would be bad. The issue is that such a large piece of glass, made so thin, can easily be over stressed by its own weight if banged around. 15 blocks of smooth new asphalt is probably fine, but 15 blocks of Montreal or Buffalo streets would worry me!
What we did last time is put it diagonal kind of up against the window at the top corner then had it "packed" on either side with bunches of blankets and random stuff so it didn't move. We have newly paved roads and can go slow so think it should be ok.

We are going to be swapping out a E600i-B3 for this. Specs seems to be somewhat comparable with a few extra features on the Vizio / LG being a step up overall...we aren't overly picky but would notice a downgrade. Do you guys think it's comparable enough to look similar picture wise?

Thanks
post #21 of 119 Old 12-10-2014, 11:35 AM

Glossy screen?

Can any owners of the 65lb5200 chime in on how glossy/reflective the screen is on this TV?

I'm thinking of buying this for a large workshop with overhead fluorescent lights - hanging the TV from the ceiling below the lights, slightly angled downward

Any thoughts on glare? Viewing angles?

Thanks,
post #22 of 119 Old 12-10-2014, 12:11 PM

So strange. Stopped by our nearby BB now to take a look and they had tons of boxes right in the front, but no display and refused to plug one in for us!
post #23 of 119 Old 12-10-2014, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

OK, took a measurment. Box is about 38" tall, 63" long - of course, this is after unpacking, measuring the empty box - with TV inside the actual height could be a bit more. My length estimate was pretty close, but the height was too much - I had no idea there was only about two inches of foam protecting each of the top and bottom.

Quote:
What we did last time is put it diagonal kind of up against the window at the top corner then had it "packed" on either side with bunches of blankets and random stuff so it didn't move. We have newly paved roads and can go slow so think it should be ok.
Well, it isn't the side-to-side shifting that will hurt it, it is the sudden jarring that will flex the screen due to momentum and weight. But it sounds like it might be OK.

post #24 of 119 Old 12-10-2014, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizak View Post
Can any owners of the 65lb5200 chime in on how glossy/reflective the screen is on this TV?

I'm thinking of buying this for a large workshop with overhead fluorescent lights - hanging the TV from the ceiling below the lights, slightly angled downward

Any thoughts on glare? Viewing angles?

Thanks,
This TV is not as glossy as some, but is not as matte as some.

I would say it is a bit more glossy than average, but by tilting the screen just a bit I can completely avoid major reflections from the light in the ceiling fan in the same room as the TV, but I can still see some reflections from the ceiling pot lights in the kitchen behind the main seating position - which I normally turn off when watching TV anyway to reduce overall room lighting.

I'm happy with the appearance of the screen, but others may feel it is too reflective.

post #25 of 119 Old 12-12-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
I could not find any discrete commands for input selection. I had to program my Harmony to command "Input" to bring up the Input mode, then number of presses to get it cycled to the appropriate other input, then enter to select. yeah, it takes quite a few seconds.

Wouldn't be an issue if I was using a single HDMI input from my AVR, but I have my two sources connected directly to the TV because the AVR's HDMI stuff is wonky (thanks Onkyo! grrr...).

The discrete input commands that seem to be available do not work.

In other words: Sorry, I got nothin'.
I picked this up at Best Buy today and I while the picture is good, but not great, I can't get over the issues that I have with it and the Harmony.

If the picture quality was a bit better, I might be able to live with it, but it's just too frustrating not to have discrete codes on a tv with my Harmony. (Man do I sound like a whiner.)
post #26 of 119 Old 12-15-2014, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwhinwi View Post
I picked this up at Best Buy today and I while the picture is good, but not great, I can't get over the issues that I have with it and the Harmony.

If the picture quality was a bit better, I might be able to live with it, but it's just too frustrating not to have discrete codes on a tv with my Harmony. (Man do I sound like a whiner.)
Yeah, discrete codes seem like they should exist. Do any of the other 2014 (or even 2013) LG LCD-LED offerings have discrete codes for inputs? If so, we could just program the Harmony for one of those models and see if it works.

The TV used prior to this one was also an LG, but from 2006 - the Harmony did not have anything useful to say to this new TV with the old programming. But I would hope that LG is lazy enough to have the same remote code set for all of their current/recent products.

post #27 of 119 Old 12-15-2014, 07:28 PM

I have a Chevy Trailblazer. This 65-inch TV fits without issue.
post #28 of 119 Old 12-18-2014, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for the settings! Quick question. I sent this TV to my parents as a gift a week ago. They are not tech savvy at all and I would be able to do it next week but how do you save the settings? They are telling me they changed the settings and it just goes back to default. I obviously would be able to do it but I have never seen the tv. Thanks much!

Also, mixed reviews about trumotion...on or off? I see you have it on. A lot of reviews I was reading were saying take it off.

Thanks!!
post #29 of 119 Old 12-18-2014, 12:06 PM

Has anyone had any issue with excessive flashlighting with this TV? I bought one from BB on Black Friday and had high hopes but the TV seemed to have excessive flashlighting (I assume that is the terminology used) where a dark screen shows light banding.

It was pretty bad as I watch in a dark room and it really shows itself for space flicks or movies with darkness. It was beyond annoying. BB came by and replaced it with a new tv - and there is still flashlighting but on the other side of the screen. I am about to give up on this and go back to samsung.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4936.jpg
Views:	825
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	429441  
post #30 of 119 Old 12-18-2014, 12:07 PM

Also - I have a 2014 mazda cx5 - and it fit (barely) with the door closed (back seats folded down).
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread