Help, Samsung UN60H6203AF or UN60EH6003F? Direct/Edge lit or other differences? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-06-2014, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help, Samsung UN60H6203AF or UN60EH6003F? Direct/Edge lit or other differences?

Posted this question but this is probably the better place so...

Anyone have any information or opinions on these two Samsung models, the UN60H6203AF and the UN60EH6003F?

I purchased the 6003F since it was not carried where I work anymore and decently priced a couple of days ago and it looks great. Yesterday though the 6203 which is newer and has the Smart TV functionality dropped in price enough that with my discount brought it to within 20 something dollars of the first. I figured with such a small difference in price I might as well get the Smart one but I don't know if I'm just imagining it or if the non-smart one looked a little better?

I haven't found any clear info on the screens but I'm pretty sure the newer one is Edge-lit and wondered if the 6003 was perhaps direct or differently lit? Could that make any noticeable difference or might there be another reason? Any thoughts, opinions or info on these two would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-06-2014, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

So not having found a clear answer online I called Samsung and confirmed the 6203 is edge lit which I already assumed and they just told me Led back lit for the 6003 which I'm assuming to mean direct lit?

I'm really thinking about doing away with the Smart TV function for the back lit/direct, or at least want to take another look at it. Hard to tell without seeing them at the same time but just seems since I don't care about the thickness of the TV that the direct would be better?
post #3 of 8 Old 12-08-2014, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy2k View Post
So not having found a clear answer online I called Samsung and confirmed the 6203 is edge lit which I already assumed and they just told me Led back lit for the 6003 which I'm assuming to mean direct lit?

I'm really thinking about doing away with the Smart TV function for the back lit/direct, or at least want to take another look at it. Hard to tell without seeing them at the same time but just seems since I don't care about the thickness of the TV that the direct would be better?
H6203 is direct-lit (back-lit yes), I mean look at how thick it is (and it's confirmed in the service menu). EH6003 is a 2012 direct-lit model ... (judging by the availability of these EH models you'd think they are still cranking them out today!?)
Maybe a quadcore in the H6203 over a dualcore but can't confirm so far. Doesn't look like it and according to http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/samsung/h6203 a limited Smart section so different from the H6350/6400/6200 that do have a quadcore processor.

Last edited by mithras1; 12-08-2014 at 05:03 PM.
post #4 of 8 Old 12-08-2014, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

The 6203 is direct lit as well? Weird...why did they say it was Edge lit? I believe you as the physical size of both look exactly the same. Since I wanted to know I downloaded some color samples/images and put the two together to compare.

The Smart features were nice for the $30 difference that they were but if the 6003 had turned out with a better picture I would have stuck with that. Guess I was mistaken though, upon comparing the white/black/color bars the 6203 looked to handle them better so looks like it's the winner!

Thanks for the info mithras1!
post #5 of 8 Old Yesterday, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Samsung tech support (or CSR, whatever it's called) don't really know much about stuff that isn't already on the Samsung website or TV user manuals... so I wouldn't believe everything they say about stuff like this.

The H6203 most likely is direct lit, like my EH6030, which looks identical in terms of panel depth and bezel width (cosmetically the same on the outside in terms of design)
post #6 of 8 Old Yesterday, 11:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just picked up the 55" 6203. Not sure if edge or direct lit. I get no flash light or clouds. The smart features seem to work well enough for me. Over 150 apps to chose from. It can get slow to respond to commands sometimes when using the apps but not really bothersome to me. I guess it doesn't have the full interface of the smart TV features of the 6350 one step above the 6203. Basically the same picture quality of the 6350 with less features and not as bright.
post #7 of 8 Old Today, 04:19 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I could swear I saw some lights in the center even when checking through the vents at the back from above and as mentioned the "Type" code in the service menu ends on "D" for direct-lit.
post #8 of 8 Old Today, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 100
One major flaw with the EH6003. It does not have any audio out for external speakers. So you are forced to deal with the TVs internal speakers which have sub par sound quality. I would definitely go with the H6203. It was just $599 for the 55 inch a few weeks ago. And yes the 6203 is direct lit with the back lighting. Not edge lit.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
led , Samsung , un60eh6003f , un60h6203af
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page