Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ray0414

post #1 of 5 Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
mastered in 4k on 4k tvs, any difference?

Does anyone have experience with those mastered in 4k blu rays on actual 4k tvs? Does the mastered in 4k actually make a difference compared to the normal blu ray version? Please only comment if you have a 4k tv and have watched these, thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Yesterday, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
Does anyone have experience with those mastered in 4k blu rays on actual 4k tvs? Does the mastered in 4k actually make a difference compared to the normal blu ray version? Please only comment if you have a 4k tv and have watched these, thank you!
I have a 2014 Samsung 4K ... with one of the most capable upscalars available. I had the opportunity to do an apples to apples comparison of something that is kinda related to what you are asking.

Both Netflix and Amazon streaming service have the movie 'Hitch'. Except - Netflix has it in 4K. We all know that Hitch was not mastered in 4K ... but Netflix claims that they have used some sophisticated engines to upgrade it to be very close to 4K.

Over my very fast Comcast connection ... the Amazon 1080p version of Hitch looks as good (or slightly better in some instances) compared to the Netflix 4K version. Yes, I have a very fast 50Mb/s connection and have verified using the Netflix 4K sample file (the one that shows bitrate). So I know slow internet is not the reason why Amazon 1080p HD looks really good compared to the Netflix 4K version.

On a related note ... shows that are actually mastered in 4K (House of Cards) ... looks much better than upconverted-to-4K movies.
post #3 of 5 Old Yesterday, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have the movie Taxi Driver that is mastered on 4k blu ray. I have a sony 65x900a 4k TV that I watched the movie on, and it looks beautiful the colors look great because of the triluminous tech. The only problem is that I don't know how much "better" It looks because I haven't seem the movie in regular blu ray.

From what I've read online is that the mastered in 4k blu rays run at a higher bit rate which can improve PQ but how much is anyones guess. The sacrifice here is the extras the movies come with such as deleted scenes etc.
post #4 of 5 Old Yesterday, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Sony xbr65x850b will be here tomorrow, just hoping the picture blows me away with the blu ray up converts
Grubs92 likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old Today, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 273
These mastered in 4K sony blu-ray's are optimised for 4K TVs.

These blu-ray's are also suppost to look better on a 1080p TV compared to normal blu-ray's. This improves only pq a slight bit on specific sony models though..
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page