Samsung HU8550 + Onkyo nx636 = HEADACHE! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 12-12-2014, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Angry Samsung HU8550 + Onkyo nx636 = HEADACHE!

I impulsively bought the Samsung HU8550 series right before Thanksgiving from Best Buy, the price was great and I've been looking at it for a while. Then I went to plug it in and realize my Onkyo 5007 AVR won't play nice with the HU8550 for video -- thus I purchase the nx636 model which is supposed to upscale to 4k 60hz... supposed to.

For the past two weeks I've been losing my mind as I can't get either one of these to to work together. I can only get the Onkyo to show a 1080i signal coming from my HTCP -- mind you I can get a better picture and signal straight from the source.

When I try to upscale it won't go above 1080i, sometimes will do 4k but at 30hz, however I have to adjust the picture output setting on the Onkyo to "standard" instead of bypass, which low and behold, will cause the TV to flash black and not display a picture on movie channels and some cable channels

Samsung support says it's Onkyo, and Onkyo says it's Samsung or the HTPC. Guy at Best Buy says it's the cable, so I fork out $200+ for a "cinnamon 4k cable" that does the exact same thing as my $20 cable from Amazon (15ft).

Any idea as to what may be causing this? Support from Samsung and Onkyo are worthless at this point, neither can help, nor aid in resolving the issue. I've seen some people complain about not getting a 4:4:4 from Samsung or 4k @ 60hz, however I am constantly reassured from them it's possible through HDMI.

I've tried the tricks of renaming the port to "PC" putting on Game Mode, restoring all picture settings, etc., still nothing.

At the same time, I've seen people post screen shots that the Onkyo nx636 can upscale to 4k @60hz .

The signal is coming from my HTPC using a GeForce 610 GT card via HDMI 1.4
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - HU8550 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page