I Think I'm Going To Return My 4k Setup - Samsung HU8550 & Onkyo AVR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Unread Today, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
bossku69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I Think I'm Going To Return My 4k Setup - Samsung HU8550 & Onkyo AVR

I'm waiving the white flag and ready to throw in the towel... unless I'm wrong here (fingers crossed I am).

I purchased the Samsung UN65HU8550 just before Thanksgiving, along with the Onkyo TX-NR636 AVR that claims to upscale content to 4k. Prior I had a high end Samsung 52" with the Onkyo TX-NR5007, but that didn't support HDMI 1.4 or above.

First issue I had with the Samsung is I keep getting the video signal loss via HDMI, mainly on movie channels like HBO. I was told by the "elite" crew at Best Buy it was the HDMI cable or AVR. After spending countless hours reading and talking with support, turns out the Onkyo can only handle 4k @ 30hz, not 60hz -- that is only for pass-through.

I use a HTPC, along with a Samsung 3D bluray player that upscales to 4k. Not a bad picture at all, considering the TV upscales too.

Point being, my AV equipment is located in a closet in my basement, and I have my main TV in my living room, which is connected by a 15' high speed HDMI, and there is no room for the AV toys to sit near the TV, plus I spent a boat load on this setup.

Given that the Onkyo doesn't support true 4k @ 60hz upscaling, there really is no need to keep it, since that was the only reason I purchased it right? I can just bypass the AVR and use the ARC channel via HDMI to send audio back, but limited to 3 inputs on the TV (HTPC, Apple TV, 3D Bluray).

On the other hand, I'm reading that the Samsung doesn't stand up to the quality of the Sony X900B sets, however I really dislike the speakers on the edge of the Sony.

I know there is a million threads on here based on "should I buy a 4K TV?" but I'm more asking is the technology good enough in the Samsung (or even Sony) to keep it and wait for a better AVR, or just hold off completely for a TV that supports 12 bit color and an AVR that outputs 4k @ 60hz?

Just have a good amount of money riding on the line and would hate to have a setup that is below good quality for what I'm trying to do.
bossku69 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Unread Today, 01:52 PM
Member
 
sumguy91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Not sure how long you're willing to go without a TV, unless you plan on hooking the old set back up to hold you over in the meantime?

Personally, I'd opt for a refund on all items and wait until after CES 2015 to see what new models will be offered. I'd like to think that 4K sets as well as its corresponding technologies (AVR, etc.) will see improvements in 2015? With March being an ideal time to purchase a new TV, it'd give you more time to research and plan accordingly.

My two cents, for whatever it's worth?
sumguy91 is offline  
post #3 of 8 Unread Today, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
umenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: United States
Posts: 1,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossku69 View Post
I use a HTPC, along with a Samsung 3D bluray player that upscales to 4k. Not a bad picture at all, considering the TV upscales too.
I hate to say this ... but that pegs your level of understanding of the underlying technology.
umenon is online now  
post #4 of 8 Unread Today, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
bossku69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumguy91 View Post
Not sure how long you're willing to go without a TV, unless you plan on hooking the old set back up to hold you over in the meantime?

Personally, I'd opt for a refund on all items and wait until after CES 2015 to see what new models will be offered. I'd like to think that 4K sets as well as its corresponding technologies (AVR, etc.) will see improvements in 2015? With March being an ideal time to purchase a new TV, it'd give you more time to research and plan accordingly.

My two cents, for whatever it's worth?
That's exactly what I was going to do. The older Samsung still had a great picture, but the plasma in my bedroom was on its last leg, so this was a great chance to swap them out.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to return the TV and wait. I'd hate to spend $2,500 on a TV to only find out in 3 months something much better is right around the corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umenon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossku69 View Post
I use a HTPC, along with a Samsung 3D bluray player that upscales to 4k. Not a bad picture at all, considering the TV upscales too.
I hate to say this ... but that pegs your level of understanding of the underlying technology.
I meant the picture from a non 4K source still looks good
bossku69 is online now  
post #5 of 8 Unread Today, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
thebignewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 44
The way I understand it no AVR that you can buy today will be useful as it is with true 4k content, like 4k Bluray Discs (when they become available). You do not want the AVR nor the BD player to upscale content. The TV does it best and if it gets an upscaled feed from some peripheral it doesn't upscale it again. Plenty of people get good HBO feeds (cable, satellite) through their AVRs to the TV with no problems, they don't need new special AVRs for that. This is just my .02 but after browsing a bunch of these threads I don't think the equiptment that you can buy today (TV, AVR mainly) is quite ready for prime time. I think it will be in about a year, maybe sooner. If I bought a 4k TV today I'd be afraid I'd have to dump it in far less than the 5 years I usually keep TVs.

Samsung ES8000 65", Evo Kit installed, Yamaha AVR with Paradigm speakers, iMac, iPad, Apple TV and HTC One phone.
thebignewt is online now  
post #6 of 8 Unread Today, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jon S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Sunny Hawaii
Posts: 2,841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Sine there is no source readily available to consumers that delivers 4K content (other than some expensive one-off equipment), getting a 4K receiver right now is redundant... All HD (1080i/p) material sent to the TV will be upscaled to 4K automatically. From what I have read, the TV upscaler appears to upconvert better than most Blu-ray players out there.

The set is doing what is necessary. I would keep the set and let it upconvert everything on its own. While the Sony 900s are good sets, I don't think they are noticeably better if they are better at all...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Jon S is online now  
post #7 of 8 Unread Today, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
umenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: United States
Posts: 1,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebignewt View Post
You do not want the AVR nor the BD player to upscale content. The TV does it best
^^^ this.
umenon is online now  
post #8 of 8 Unread Today, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
Posts: 4,064
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossku69 View Post
I'm waiving the white flag and ready to throw in the towel... unless I'm wrong here (fingers crossed I am).

I purchased the Samsung UN65HU8550 just before Thanksgiving, along with the Onkyo TX-NR636 AVR that claims to upscale content to 4k. Prior I had a high end Samsung 52" with the Onkyo TX-NR5007, but that didn't support HDMI 1.4 or above.

First issue I had with the Samsung is I keep getting the video signal loss via HDMI, mainly on movie channels like HBO. I was told by the "elite" crew at Best Buy it was the HDMI cable or AVR. After spending countless hours reading and talking with support, turns out the Onkyo can only handle 4k @ 30hz, not 60hz -- that is only for pass-through.

I use a HTPC, along with a Samsung 3D bluray player that upscales to 4k. Not a bad picture at all, considering the TV upscales too.

Point being, my AV equipment is located in a closet in my basement, and I have my main TV in my living room, which is connected by a 15' high speed HDMI, and there is no room for the AV toys to sit near the TV, plus I spent a boat load on this setup.

Given that the Onkyo doesn't support true 4k @ 60hz upscaling, there really is no need to keep it, since that was the only reason I purchased it right? I can just bypass the AVR and use the ARC channel via HDMI to send audio back, but limited to 3 inputs on the TV (HTPC, Apple TV, 3D Bluray).

On the other hand, I'm reading that the Samsung doesn't stand up to the quality of the Sony X900B sets, however I really dislike the speakers on the edge of the Sony.

I know there is a million threads on here based on "should I buy a 4K TV?" but I'm more asking is the technology good enough in the Samsung (or even Sony) to keep it and wait for a better AVR, or just hold off completely for a TV that supports 12 bit color and an AVR that outputs 4k @ 60hz?

Just have a good amount of money riding on the line and would hate to have a setup that is below good quality for what I'm trying to do.

I am in agreement with what a couple of people have said here
However..my first suggestion would be to say that you didn't need a new AVR
I am thinking your 5007 is much more capable than a 636 is
I think I would have bought a blu ray player with 2 HDMI outputs and run one to the Tv and one to the receiver


I am not sure why you would be having issues with cable/satellite feed...that does seem very odd considering you had no issues in the past
I would also turn off the HDMI control function on the receiver. I have had issues with that in the past and a simple setting change has made all the difference


Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Marantz 8801 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is online now  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off