• 1 Post By fierce_gt

post #1 of 12 Old 12-27-2014, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 33
4K is about to takeover TV

Even the Plasmas guys @ CNET are admitting so ...and they way they are gonna do it - they being manufactures is put the best "stuff " in the 4K set ..so even if you don't want 4K or aren't happy the content yet 0 if you're gonna plunk down 1600- 3K on a TV you better / should/ buy the best TV available ....and those are going to be 4k's ...

Don't believe? ... DirecTV just shot a 4K satellite into space for 4K as have others ...

Read ...
http://readwrite.com/2014/12/24/4k-u...aign=ReadWrite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-27-2014, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Things move real slow in reality ... News from a little less than 3 yrs ago ...

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-th...-hdtv-signals/

From the time a company makes an announcement > to actual production ... Is a LONG time.
post #3 of 12 Old 12-28-2014, 03:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1160 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
that's how they got me to buy 3D and smart features...

all I want is the best display possible. I wouldn't even have a tuner or speakers in my 'tv' if I didn't have to.

nothing against UHD, I just wish they focus more on the possibility of HFR, HDR, or a wider color gamut instead of more pixels. the next projector I buy will likely be UHD, but as far as TV's go, I don't think it'll ever be a consideration. if it's UHD or 1080p doesn't matter, whichever one has the best blacks, contrast, and color reproduction will be the one I buy.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #4 of 12 Old 12-28-2014, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

all I want is the best display possible. I wouldn't even have a tuner or speakers in my 'tv' if I didn't have to.

nothing against UHD, I just wish they focus more on the possibility of HFR, HDR, or a wider color gamut instead of more pixels. the next projector I buy will likely be UHD, but as far as TV's go, I don't think it'll ever be a consideration. if it's UHD or 1080p doesn't matter, whichever one has the best blacks, contrast, and color reproduction will be the one I buy.
Yes, contrast, black levels, motion handling, and overall Presentation are the keys here. It seems as if they are going out of their way to ensure I can connect to facebook or Twitter with my new TV but still haven't sorted out backlight uniformity, edge bleed, or grayish black levels yet unless you spend $5,000 or more.

I like the XBR 65" Sony except for the totally mediocre blacks and a little flashlighting. Meh.
fierce_gt, losservatore and Gmash like this.

Samsung PN64H5000
LG BP 540
Sony DH550 AVR
Polk Tsi, RSi, Bookshelves & PSW sub-woofer
post #5 of 12 Old 12-28-2014, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by umenon View Post
Things move real slow in reality ... News from a little less than 3 yrs ago ...

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-th...-hdtv-signals/

From the time a company makes an announcement > to actual production ... Is a LONG time.

I agree with you.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
post #6 of 12 Old 12-28-2014, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

I agree, UHD has a ways to go. I see it being 1-2 years or longer before we see it settled in.

Viper

Current Sets:
PN64F8500 Plasma (4K-LCD's are not in the same ballpark)
Sony XBR65X900B with BDP-S6200 Blu-Ray Player

Previously Owned:
UN65HU7250 (4k Curved) UN55HU6840 (4K Flat) UN65HU8550 (4K Flat) All Returned due to Poor Quality
post #7 of 12 Old 12-28-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper32 View Post
I agree, UHD has a ways to go. I see it being 1-2 years or longer before we see it settled in.

Viper
And then it will be passe because there will probably be a newer flavor of the month to entice the masses, or the hardware will have finally caught up to the technology making a 4k purchase this year and possibly next year a decision made too soon.
post #8 of 12 Old 12-28-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
And then it will be passe because there will probably be a newer flavor of the month to entice the masses, or the hardware will have finally caught up to the technology making a 4k purchase this year and possibly next year a decision made too soon.
Agreed, and that is what I have been afraid of all along. The current Crop of sets may or may not be fully capable of the full specs either when that time comes.

2015 Models will make things allot ,ore clear hopefully.

Viper

Current Sets:

Previously Owned:
UN65HU7250 (4k Curved) UN55HU6840 (4K Flat) UN65HU8550 (4K Flat) All Returned due to Poor Quality
post #9 of 12 Old 12-28-2014, 03:18 PM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Too soon for who? Obviously you; but you and I don't count on these individual decisions/purchases. It's the buyer's money and subjective opinion of what they want. I've never bought a display that would not have been more capable if I waited a couple years. But, with the exception of a Sony XBR1 (SXRD) lemon, I've never regretted a purchase.

The current hardware is caught up with the current technology. Netflix original programming is being "filmed" in 4k. Just finished 10 episodes of Marco Polo (which I enjoyed) and House of Cards (season 3) will be released next month. When I was buying a new display, a year ago, I decided to buy the Samsung F9000 (currently with the 2014 UHD kit). Do I wish I had bought a 1080P set instead? Hell no, and my wife's and my votes are the only ones that count!
post #10 of 12 Old 12-28-2014, 04:17 PM

That is good to hear you are happy with and think your money was well spent. That is all that matter in the end.

But with just a very few shows to watch in real 4K the difference in price of a top notch 1080P unit and a 4K unit figures in allot to most.

People can spend 800.00 or more to get a 4K or save that money and enjoy the content that is readily available now.

Not to mention, they want need to purchase a Evolution kit for several more hundred dollars each year to attempt to keep up.

I am also afraid that all these 8bit panels people will be a little disappointed in the future.

Not to mention but a majority of households do not have the bandwidth to handle 4K over the net with Netflix.

Viper

Current Sets:

Previously Owned:
post #11 of 12 Old 12-28-2014, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1160 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post
Too soon for who? Obviously you; but you and I don't count on these individual decisions/purchases. It's the buyer's money and subjective opinion of what they want. I've never bought a display that would not have been more capable if I waited a couple years. But, with the exception of a Sony XBR1 (SXRD) lemon, I've never regretted a purchase.

The current hardware is caught up with the current technology. Netflix original programming is being "filmed" in 4k. Just finished 10 episodes of Marco Polo (which I enjoyed) and House of Cards (season 3) will be released next month. When I was buying a new display, a year ago, I decided to buy the Samsung F9000 (currently with the 2014 UHD kit). Do I wish I had bought a 1080P set instead? Hell no, and my wife's and my votes are the only ones that count!
normally I'd agree when it comes to electronics. there's always something better right around the corner.

BUT, there's been several examples showing that this is often not the case with TV's. there's this 'race to the bottom' going on, which means things aren't getting better every year, they are just getting cheaper. you'd be hard pressed to buy a tv on the market this year or next year that would be a 'better' picture than the pioneer kuros, sharp elite, Panasonic vt60, etc...

imo, the most exciting part of 'UHD' is the possibility of higher frame rates, more dynamic range, and a wider color gamut. I'm more interested in making the pixels BETTER, rather than just having more of them. so far, I'm not sure the UHD displays are ready to take advantage of these things. I'm not sure if they have rec2020 color, and I'm almost positive none of them have HDR or HFR capabilities.

UHD right now is more than just the usual risk of obsolescence. it's like you're buying a tech to be future proof, except that it's not future proof at all. I would never buy a product where I'm paying a premium for a 'new' technology that doesn't have a defined standard yet. at least now most of the good UHD displays have hdmi 2.0. when they first started shipping that was the weirdest thing to me. who buys a '4k tv' that can't accept a '4k' source?

if you've got some 4k sources, or otherwise prefer an upconverted 4k image with today's sources that's one thing. go nuts. I just fine for my personal interest, I want a UHD display that supports ALL the things UHD has to offer. and until we know exactly what those are, these transition sets are no more future proof than 1080p TV's.
Gmash likes this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One

Last edited by fierce_gt; 12-28-2014 at 04:25 PM.
post #12 of 12 Old 12-28-2014, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post
No reason to take it personal. I agree, it's not our decision or our money and only the purchaser has to decide if it's worth the investment now or later.

The F9000 is a great tv, even with the $300+ extra attachment (OneConnect box) but I don't want to have to keep paying extra every time the technology settles down and changes. Some people do. Again, that's their decision and their decision only. Fully compliant HDMI 2.0 (with HDCP 2.2) chipsets are just becoming available. I'd rather wait till most of the protocols are decided upon before upgrading my tv (and receiver and blu-ray player). 4k/UHD (what ever you want to call it) looks great but the potential is still under-realized.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page