Vizio 1.60 defective firmware update -- victims post here - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #1 of 31 Old 01-25-2015, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Vizio 1.60 defective firmware update -- victims post here

This thread is for people whose previously perfectly-working Vizio TVs have been degraded by their forced 1.60 firmware update. It is intended to collect input only from people who have been affected, in order to raise awareness and get Vizio to officially acknowledge the problem. A handful of people have gotten responses from their support team indicating they know of a problem, but some CSRs still deny any knowledge and their Twitter support account is ignoring people.

If you post in this thread, state your TV model number, exact firmware version, and confirm if you're seeing the issues on the Known Issues list (below), and if you have any other issues that aren't on the list which others might be able to verify. Specifically, this seems to affect firmware version 1.60.10-004.0090 from what we know so far.

================

Background (as I know it, please feel free to add/correct and I'll edit):
In late 2014, Vizio began pushing out a firmware update to 2014 M-series TVs, which are full-array LED sets with local dimming, and 2013 M-series TVs, which are edge-lit with local dimming.

After this update, people began noticing issues with LED dimming performance. Because Vizio silently pushes out firmware updates, many customers got this update without knowing about it. By the time the issues were known within the community, it was too late for many users (like myself) -- they had already received the 1.6 update and were stuck with it.

A number of users have contacted Vizio support, and were varyingly told things to the effect of (1) there's no problem, you're imagining it; (2) there's a problem with your specific TV, we can replace it if you want; (3) there might be a problem with our firmware but we're not going to actually admit to that, and there's no timeline for new firmware.

================

Known issues
Please comment if this list is incomplete and I'll try to keep it up to date -- we will only add to this list if someone else with 1.6 can replicate your issue

1. Sluggish dimming - While this is hard to quantify, many people have reported that the action of the LEDs dimming is way more noticeable after the update. Additionally, when going from dark to light scene, it seems to initially overcompensate and "blow out" the whites/bright colors before settling down to where it should be.

2. Active LED zones setting is ignored - If a picture profile has Active LED zones set to "off", this setting is ignored when the TV is first turned on (the zones dim anyway). The only way to fix this is to go into the Picture settings and cycle the setting to "on" and then back to "off" again, every time the TV is turned on.

Last edited by rogersmj; 01-25-2015 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Updating info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 01-25-2015, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Follow this format for your reporting posts:

Quote:
TV: M702i-B3
Firmware: 1.60.10-004.0090

Confirm issues: 1, 2

Other issues: ____
post #3 of 31 Old 01-25-2015, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 171

Confirm issues: 1, 2 = YES. A not about #1 , not only is it more sluggish, when it goes from a dark scene to a bright scene you get a "sun in the eyes effect" where whites and faces are totally blown out and then it settles back in over a couple seconds. Almost like it overshoots and then settles back in to ideal point.

Other issues: Gamma setting does not always take. Sometime switching between 2.2 and 2.4 does nothing. Toggling it back a couple times causes the change. This happened when I was doing measurements as a comparison and when I got done both gamma curves were an exact match. Toggled and measured again and the setting took.
post #4 of 31 Old 01-25-2015, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 32
TV: M801D-A3 (2013)

Confirm issues: 1, 2

Other: I had been seeing horizontal ghosting mostly on displayed text, but after 10 "restore to defaults" this issue went away.

Vizio M801D-A3

JimK

Last edited by --Sclaws; 01-25-2015 at 09:37 AM.
post #5 of 31 Old 01-25-2015, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersmj View Post
Follow this format for your reporting posts:
Need to add that 2013 M series folks also got the update and experienced very sluggish dimming on their edge lit sets.
post #6 of 31 Old 01-25-2015, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Apparently some sets don't have a problem. I have the E400i-B2 with the V1.60.10-004.0443_127 firmware and don't have any of those issues.
post #7 of 31 Old 01-25-2015, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post
A not about #1 , not only is it more sluggish, when it goes from a dark scene to a bright scene you get a "sun in the eyes effect" where whites and faces are totally blown out and then it settles back in over a couple seconds. Almost like it overshoots and then settles back in to ideal point.
Yes! Excellent point, I've noticed that since the 1.6 update too. Good catch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
Need to add that 2013 M series folks also got the update and experienced very sluggish dimming on their edge lit sets.
Added.
post #8 of 31 Old 01-25-2015, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have M652i-b2 with FW V1.60.10-004.0443_135

I definitely have issue #2 ...not sure about #1 .

Vizio M652i-B2....................HCFR 3.1.6
Vizio E600i-B3.....................i1 Display Pro
Sharp LC-70C8470U............ControlCAL Elite X5 Edition v2
Onkyo TX-SR606.................AVSHD-709
PS-3
Homegrown HTPC
post #9 of 31 Old 01-25-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
Apparently some sets don't have a problem. I have the E400i-B2 with the V1.60.10-004.0443_127 firmware and don't have any of those issues.
You shouldn't have any issues as this FW bug is specific to the M series afflicted with FW 1.60.10-004.0090 and not the E series. That's what we're stuck with.
post #10 of 31 Old 01-25-2015, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I've posted enough on this and I think I was one of the first people to even complain. I'm not doing their QA for them. They can fix it. We shouldn't be doing this. How do they not know about it? Do you have a contact with Vizio that will fix this(not sure point of thread).

Anyways, in regards to the first post. Both issues go hand in hand. If you have Active Led Zones set off, the TV enables some horribly slow and blown out version. If you turn Active LED Zones on, you get the normal behavior.

Last edited by gh0stpw; 01-25-2015 at 12:14 PM.
post #11 of 31 Old 01-25-2015, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
TV: M552i-b2
Firmware: 1.60.10-004.0443_135

Confirm issue 2. I have not experienced issue 1.

I also experience an issue in which brightly lit objects (particularly faces) on a dark background are over-brightened and lose detail. They appear to be glowing. Adjusting the backlight and contrast do not mitigate this problem. Turning off "Active LED Zones" does solve the problem, at the expense of contrast ratio.

In case it matters, I reported this issue to Vizio on December 27 and received the following response: "Thank you for your email. I will be sure to pass this along to our product development team so that they are aware of the issue."
post #12 of 31 Old 01-25-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderc View Post
TV: M552i-b2
Firmware: 1.60.10-004.0443_135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basstrix View Post
I have M652i-b2 with
FW V1.60.10-004.0443_135
Certainly, an informal survey at this point, but it appears that the Mxxxi-B2 sets have a newer version of FW that does not have the local dimming performance issue. So it looks like the Mxxxi-B3 sets are the ones with this issue. I know that the panel OEM is different ( B2 vs. B3 ) so there must be different specific panel firmware.
post #13 of 31 Old 01-25-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh0stpw View Post
I've posted enough on this and I think I was one of the first people to even complain. I'm not doing their QA for them. They can fix it. We shouldn't be doing this. How do they not know about it? Do you have a contact with Vizio that will fix this(not sure point of thread).

Anyways, in regards to the first post. Both issues go hand in hand. If you have Active Led Zones set off, the TV enables some horribly slow and blown out version. If you turn Active LED Zones on, you get the normal behavior.
Squeaky wheel gets the oil. That's the point. Maybe someone in So Cal knows someone at Vizio, but if we don't squeak, all we're going to hear are crickets.
post #14 of 31 Old 01-25-2015, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sony did also same forced firmware for older models.I am in trouble with my 46hx820 led tv by forced latest firmware.My problems are:
New colors are not natural ones etc..
post #15 of 31 Old 01-25-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Certainly, an informal survey at this point, but it appears that the Mxxxi-B2 sets have a newer version of FW that does not have the local dimming performance issue. So it looks like the Mxxxi-B3 sets are the ones with this issue. I know that the panel OEM is different ( B2 vs. B3 ) so there must be different specific panel firmware.
I received the firmware update about the same time as everyone else, I think (late Nov./early Dec.). I notice that the M55 and M65 have the same firmware, and I would guess that the M49 might too (those are the three models covered in the same owners manual). I also saw that in someone else's post that the M50 had unique firmware. I assume you are correct that it has to do with the different panel manufacturer. I don't believe it is any kind of update over some older 1.60xxx firmware that I ever had on my unit.

The other problem I had (that seems unique to the M55, as far as I can tell) is similar to what primetimeguy described in post no. 3, but it doesn't over-brighten and then return to normal, it just stays over bright. I've attached a couple of pictures to demonstrate. The settings here are identical except for the Active LED Zones. If you look at the shadow detail on the right side of his face (his right) and around his eyes, you can see some loss of detail with the Active LED Zones on. The zebra stripes across his face are an artifact from my camera; they don't appear on the TV. I am guessing that this is what others are experiencing before the backlight dims back down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1968.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	502185   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1969.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	502193  
post #16 of 31 Old 01-25-2015, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Not specific to this firmware, but Clear Action does nothing to improve motion resolution, rather it only dims the picture. Not sure we want to add that to the list.
post #17 of 31 Old 01-25-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Squeaky wheel gets the oil. That's the point. Maybe someone in So Cal knows someone at Vizio, but if we don't squeak, all we're going to hear are crickets.
I'm guessing all we can really do is complain via social media of which I don't participate in whatsoever.

Some people here have been saying that Vizio stopped pushing out the 1.60 update, has there been any validity to this as I have never seen a source?
sonoftumble likes this.
post #18 of 31 Old 01-25-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderc View Post
I received the firmware update about the same time as everyone else, I think (late Nov./early Dec.). I notice that the M55 and M65 have the same firmware, and I would guess that the M49 might too (those are the three models covered in the same owners manual). I also saw that in someone else's post that the M50 had unique firmware. I assume you are correct that it has to do with the different panel manufacturer. I don't believe it is any kind of update over some older 1.60xxx firmware that I ever had on my unit.

The other problem I had (that seems unique to the M55, as far as I can tell) is similar to what primetimeguy described in post no. 3, but it doesn't over-brighten and then return to normal, it just stays over bright. I've attached a couple of pictures to demonstrate. The settings here are identical except for the Active LED Zones. If you look at the shadow detail on the right side of his face (his right) and around his eyes, you can see some loss of detail with the Active LED Zones on. The zebra stripes across his face are an artifact from my camera; they don't appear on the TV. I am guessing that this is what others are experiencing before the backlight dims back down.
That is how Active LED Zones has always been for me and why I turn it off every chance I get. The issue has just gotten worse for me with 1.60 if the bug is not "corrected" by turning Active Zones on and then off.
post #19 of 31 Old 01-25-2015, 06:16 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh0stpw View Post
I'm guessing all we can really do is complain via social media of which I don't participate in whatsoever.

Some people here have been saying that Vizio stopped pushing out the 1.60 update, has there been any validity to this as I have never seen a source?
I posted this issue on their facebook page. A couple of people "like"d my post, and that was about it. Never got a response back from them.

The validity to the claim that they stopped pushing out the update is anecdotal, since people such as myself are still running on 1.34, and have never received the update. I've been back online for about a week. I still don't have a clue as to when an update will hit my set. I purchased in mid-Sept and my week of manufacture is Q30. Supposedly it's done by serial number, but I can't verify that either. I think they stopped pushing the update because no one new has complained about getting the update for about 3 - 4 weeks.

Please correct me if I am wrong about this, but I don't recall a single new update complaint in January.

Last edited by sonoftumble; Yesterday at 01:54 PM.
post #20 of 31 Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 17
FWIW:

M652i-B2 purchased and first powered on 9/25/14

Factory firmware was V1.34.23.0919_135
On 9/26/14 firmware V1.34.46.1155_135 was installed

The TV has been on-line ever since and no other firmware has been pushed to date, and if they do and it cripples it, I'll join the club of unhappy Vizio purchasers.

I've noticed that this model has been removed from the Vizio website, not sure why. Have also noticed that the M55 is disappearing from the retail channels and it has been showing as "out of stock" on the Vizio webpage for a while now.
post #21 of 31 Old Yesterday, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Had the set since summer and have not received the 1.6 update. Vizio did confirm that the firmware roll outs tend to take a month and that is why others and myself have concluded that they stopped rolling this out since they started this back in Oct/Nov. At least they know there is a problem at this point. However, I am suprised they have not confirmed this and even more surprised they don't have a patch to fix it. If this was happening to my TV, I would call them everyday and bug the hell out of them.
post #22 of 31 Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I don't see why they just can't reissue the 1.34 firmware. Would downgrading really be so bad?
post #23 of 31 Old Yesterday, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by PingEye2 View Post
FWIW:

M652i-B2 purchased and first powered on 9/25/14

Factory firmware was V1.34.23.0919_135
On 9/26/14 firmware V1.34.46.1155_135 was installed

The TV has been on-line ever since and no other firmware has been pushed to date, and if they do and it cripples it, I'll join the club of unhappy Vizio purchasers.

I've noticed that this model has been removed from the Vizio website, not sure why. Have also noticed that the M55 is disappearing from the retail channels and it has been showing as "out of stock" on the Vizio webpage for a while now.
My parents had the 55 which they purchased from Best Buy. It had one LED zone that was out and then some other issue. My folks called Best Buy who offered them a similar LG as a replacement and said the 55 was being recalled. Take that with a Geek Squad grain of salt.
post #24 of 31 Old Yesterday, 06:34 PM

I assume the stock of M55s was just recalled from Best Buy. I can't find any information about a recall on these. My local BB stopped stocking them in October. Clearly they've been available since then.
post #25 of 31 Old Yesterday, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Angry

Firmware: 1.60.10-004.0190

Confirm issues: 1= YES 2 = YES.
Everything is virtually identical to what PRIMETIMEGUY stated near the beginning of this thread. Had no problems and picture was incredible on firmware 1.34.

And yes that is the firmware number on my set. I checked twice to be sure.

Last edited by stubal; Yesterday at 08:30 PM. Reason: add
post #26 of 31 Old Today, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PingEye2 View Post
FWIW: I've noticed that this model has been removed from the Vizio website, not sure why. Have also noticed that the M55 is disappearing from the retail channels and it has been showing as "out of stock" on the Vizio webpage for a while now.
The manufacturers will estimate the demand for a certain model, build that number and then stop. The channel inventories will eventually become depleted to make room for the new model. The M552 is a 2014 model. Obviously it's 2015, so new stuff will be rolling soon. It's not due to some recall as other have speculated.

Last edited by sonoftumble; Today at 09:59 AM.
post #27 of 31 Old Today, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOU are the one View Post
I don't see why they just can't reissue the 1.34 firmware. Would downgrading really be so bad?
I'm not sure what it is with firmware, but once you've upgraded you can't go back without changing out hardware. It's like my iPhone. I upgraded to iOS8 and cannot go back to iOS7. Not complaining, just saying.
post #28 of 31 Old Today, 06:46 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what it is with firmware, but once you've upgraded you can't go back without changing out hardware. It's like my iPhone. I upgraded to iOS8 and cannot go back to iOS7. Not complaining, just saying.

I don't think iOS is firmware, it's software. Firmware is more at the hardware level, like drivers that communicate between and such. However, that doesn't prevent them from issuing like 1.34 and renaming it 1.61. I think the issue is they don't want to surprised, downgrading can do that if you enabled new features or whatnot.
post #29 of 31 Old Today, 06:47 PM

^ Typos... is there any way you can edit posts here? It should be obvious but I can never find it.
post #30 of 31 Old Today, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOU are the one View Post
^ Typos... is there any way you can edit posts here? It should be obvious but I can never find it.
yes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page