Official 2015 Vizio 4K UHD M Series Thread - Page 218 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5550Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6511 of 15986 Old 11-23-2015, 04:55 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyitsjimi View Post
Reduce Motion Blur is gone. It used to be in "More Picture", right after "Reduce Judder". I hate that Vizio doesn't supply update notes
Just came home today to 1.3.15 today on my five day old M50-C1

Same thing here, motion blur setting gone. Curious as to why and what the implications are.
Troutster is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6512 of 15986 Old 11-23-2015, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Danielson99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 2,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
Im not been impartial judging ,Im comming from a 65" VT 60 that will kill both displays in blacks , motion and viewing angle. Don't ask me why I sold my plasma people have been asking me this since I sold the tv two weeks ago.
One good reason to get rid of a plasma is because a person doesn't need an extra heater in the room. Also, the VT60 won't exactly 'kill' an M-series, infact it's fairly equal from the professional measurements I've seen (to the reference plasma F8500).
Danielson99 is offline  
post #6513 of 15986 Old 11-23-2015, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
oman321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: MASS
Posts: 4,939
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyitsjimi View Post
Reduce Motion Blur is gone. It used to be in "More Picture", right after "Reduce Judder". I hate that Vizio doesn't supply update notes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutster View Post
Just came home today to 1.3.15 today on my five day old M50-C1

Same thing here, motion blur setting gone. Curious as to why and what the implications are.
I've had the M60-C3 for a couple of weeks (love it), and also got the 1.3.15 update today. Reduce Motion Blur is a still an option in my settings. Not sure why it would be any different for others. I also wish they would provide what the updates are providing.
oman321 is offline  
 
post #6514 of 15986 Old 11-23-2015, 05:35 PM
Newbie
 
hbdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post
also got the 1.3.15 update today. Reduce Motion Blur is a still an option in my settings.
Selected service check on my M65-C1 before leaving the house lunch time. Got home and turned on MNF and saw I had received the 1.3.15 update during the afternoon. No missing settings here either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Update.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	1076074  
hbdude is offline  
post #6515 of 15986 Old 11-23-2015, 05:43 PM
Member
 
Nvidia256's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeto View Post
The 6700 will tie or win against the M in every area except input lag time. The 6700 wins in areas such as video processing, curved screen, type of panel, web browser, YouTube VP9, etc.

Why would you not want the customer to take a look and decide for himself?
Vizio M series: 60" and up
Superior Contrast
24p 1:1 (very important for movies)
Native 120Hz panel
Full array Local Dimming
Low input latency
better handling for motion
the list goes on....

I agree Samsung has a better OS and support for formats. However The Vizio beats the Samsung where it matters, Picture quality.
Start talking Samsung JU7100 and up then it beats Vizio.

the 6700 is cheap and overpriced for what it is.

Last edited by Nvidia256; 11-23-2015 at 05:46 PM.
Nvidia256 is offline  
post #6516 of 15986 Old 11-23-2015, 06:03 PM
Senior Member
 
natrone06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvidia256 View Post
Vizio M series: 60" and up
Superior Contrast
24p 1:1 (very important for movies)
Native 120Hz panel
Full array Local Dimming
Low input latency
better handling for motion
the list goes on....

I agree Samsung has a better OS and support for formats. However The Vizio beats the Samsung where it matters, Picture quality.
Start talking Samsung JU7100 and up then it beats Vizio.

the 6700 is cheap and overpriced for what it is.
Obvious subjective but Id take The m series over any of the edge lit Samsungs 7100 and 8500 included.
natrone06 is offline  
post #6517 of 15986 Old 11-23-2015, 06:09 PM
Member
 
Dannychico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohadib Paul View Post
For just $100 more he could get two Vizio M60's on Black Friday.
Ack! Who's doing an $800 M60 deal?
Dannychico is offline  
post #6518 of 15986 Old 11-23-2015, 06:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 457
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyitsjimi View Post
Reduce Motion Blur is gone. It used to be in "More Picture", right after "Reduce Judder". I hate that Vizio doesn't supply update notes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutster View Post
Just came home today to 1.3.15 today on my five day old M50-C1

Same thing here, motion blur setting gone. Curious as to why and what the implications are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post
I've had the M60-C3 for a couple of weeks (love it), and also got the 1.3.15 update today. Reduce Motion Blur is a still an option in my settings. Not sure why it would be any different for others. I also wish they would provide what the updates are providing.
They seemed to have removed Reduce Motion Blur on the 60Hz models (M55 and below). Reduce motion blur was barely making a difference when enabled on these sets. I could not detect a significant difference when switching it between 0 and 10 on the M55 whereas on the M60 (120Hz), it makes a noticeable difference. I'm assuming they decided to set the 60Hz sets to a fixed value instead of a slider that didn't seem to do anything.
toonj64 likes this.
GorillaBot is offline  
post #6519 of 15986 Old 11-23-2015, 07:00 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 18
It's a frick'n miracle, it only took 7 weeks but when I got home tonight and turned on the tv I was presented with the new 1.3.15-UHD firmware. All functions and settings appear to still be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyitsjimi View Post
Reduce Motion Blur is gone. It used to be in "More Picture", right after "Reduce Judder". I hate that Vizio doesn't supply update notes
On the M65 reduce motion blur is still there even after the latest update.
toonj64 likes this.

Vizio M65-C1 With 1.3.15-UHD Firmware, Finally!
HTPC Custom Built With Nvidia GTX 960
Yamaha TSR-7790, iNuke 3000DSP
Slo_rider is offline  
post #6520 of 15986 Old 11-23-2015, 07:15 PM
Member
 
tucker3434's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I bought yesterday. Got the update today. Still have motion blur setting my my m60.
tucker3434 is offline  
post #6521 of 15986 Old 11-23-2015, 07:16 PM
Member
 
rinse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Waiting for my M65 to arrive from Costco.

Just a question, from what I understand only HDMI1 on the TV has ARC.

My intentions were to run everything through HDMI5, and all my devices switched through my Denon s710w which passes through 4K video.

For people like me, what do you do for the audio on the TV Smart Apps? Do you need to run optical in this case?
rinse is offline  
post #6522 of 15986 Old 11-23-2015, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 16,248
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4650 Post(s)
Liked: 4145
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinse View Post
Waiting for my M65 to arrive from Costco.

Just a question, from what I understand only HDMI1 on the TV has ARC.

My intentions were to run everything through HDMI5, and all my devices switched through my Denon s710w which passes through 4K video.

For people like me, what do you do for the audio on the TV Smart Apps? Do you need to run optical in this case?

Running an optical cable from the TV to your AVR would be your best bet if you want surround sound from the TVs internal apps and to use HDMI5. You could also just use HDMI 1, but that comes down to a personal choice.


Sent from nowhere
Ph8te is online now  
post #6523 of 15986 Old 11-23-2015, 07:34 PM
Member
 
rinse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Running an optical cable from the TV to your AVR would be your best bet if you want surround sound from the TVs internal apps and to use HDMI5. You could also just use HDMI 1, but that comes down to a personal choice.


Sent from nowhere
Yeah might have to do that; HDMI 5 is slightly better at upscaling though correct?
rinse is offline  
post #6524 of 15986 Old 11-23-2015, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
losservatore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cleveland,Ohio
Posts: 6,240
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2501 Post(s)
Liked: 2247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielson99 View Post
One good reason to get rid of a plasma is because a person doesn't need an extra heater in the room. Also, the VT60 won't exactly 'kill' an M-series, in fact it's fairly equal from the professional measurements I've seen (to the reference plasma F8500).
seriously? lol ,The F8500 doesn't have the black levels that the VT60 have matter fact the person who bought the VT60 also own the F8500 and he bought the VT60 specially because of the black levels , Check the black levels numbers from the 2013 value electronics shootout , the F8500 was the choice of the attendees do to the brightness that the F8500 produce and the VT/ZT was the choice of the professionals do to the black level performance.


It seems that you didn't followed plasma reviews a measurements.


I dont go with a oled because a 65" cost 5k and the high end fald LCDs that have 10bit panels, WCG and HDR are also in that price range. I also prefer flat panels not curve.

The price of the 75" vizio is on the budget that I want to spend on a display, but! it lacks on some of the new specs for the soon to be release UHD blu ray player ,those specs are 10bit panel ,wcg , hdr , I like that the Vizio have full array local dimming for a very affordable price but I feel that if I go with a 4k vizio then the only new enhancement that I'm getting are pixels ,This is something that really depend on distance.

Yes the Vizio produce nice blacks do to the FALD but lacks on the new spec enhancements for the new UHD Blu ray.

I'm still debating on which display to keep or probably wait for the 2016 vizios ,they probably support all this new enhancements.


IMO vizio is playing smart!!! they are waiting for the new Uhd bd player that will be release early next year.

They have the new reference that are over pricey but my guess is that next year they probably have a budget displays with HDR support.


The JS is Flat and is on a great sale and is a 10bit panel, Have WCG and support HDR. The missing part is the full array but then that will make the TV cost a lot more.

Last edited by losservatore; 11-23-2015 at 09:11 PM.
losservatore is offline  
post #6525 of 15986 Old 11-23-2015, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Danielson99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 2,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
seriously? lol ,The F8500 doesnt have the black levels that the VT60 have matter fact the person who bought the VT60 also own the F8500 and he bought the VT60 specially because of the black levels , Check the black levels numbers from the 2013 value city shootout , the F8500 was the choice of the attendees do to the brightness that the F8500 produce and the VT/ZT was the choice of the profesionals do to the black level performance.


It seems that you didn't followed plasma reviews a mesurements.


I dont go with a oled because a 65" cost 5k and the high end fald LCDs are also in that price range. I also prefer flat panels not curve.

The price of the 75" vizio is on the budget that I want to spend on a display but it lacks on some of the new specs for the soon to be release UHD blu ray player those specs are 10bit panel ,wcg , hdr , I like that the Vizio have full array local dimming for a very afordable price but I feel that if I go with a 4k vizio display then the only new enhanment that im getting are pixels ,This is something that really depend on distance.

Yes the Vizio produce nice blacks do to the FALD but lacks on the new spec enhanments for the new UHD Blu ray.

Im still debating on which display to keep or probably wait for the 2016 vizios they will probably support all this new enhancements.


vizio likes to play smart!!! they haven't realese a budget 10bit , WCG ,HDR because the Uhd bd player will be release early next year.

They have the new reference that are over pricey.


My guess is that next year they will have budget displays with HDR support.


The JS is Flat and is on a great sale and is a 10but panel, Have WCG and support HDR. The missing part is the full array but then that will make the TV cost a lot more.
I wouldn't worry about finding an LCD tv with a 10bit panel, wcg, hdr and fald. By the time HDR is a standard and we can even use a 10 bit panel OLED tv's will have come down in price and fixed it's few flaws. Don't worry about buying an LCD today that's going to last you the next 5 or 10 years, they are going extinct just like plasma has.
It doesn't matter what plasma you compare the M65 with, the blacks will not be 'killing' anything.
toonj64 likes this.
Danielson99 is offline  
post #6526 of 15986 Old 11-23-2015, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 16,248
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4650 Post(s)
Liked: 4145
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinse View Post
Yeah might have to do that; HDMI 5 is slightly better at upscaling though correct?

No, 1-4 are better for less than 1080p. HDMI5 has minimal to no processing which means lower quality sources will look slightly worse.


Sent from nowhere
thomasfxlt and toonj64 like this.
Ph8te is online now  
post #6527 of 15986 Old 11-23-2015, 08:48 PM
Member
 
crestman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm waiting for my M60-C3 to ship from Costco (CAN) and have started a checklist of sorts of to-do's before and upon it's arrival. I'm guessing the first thing to do is to see about major defaults with the tv. Expecting none, then next thing I look to see if the stock TV's settings are correct or to my liking? (Subjective). I use Bell Sat TV with Apple TV 2nd gen "upgrade" and the kids are asking for PS4 fom Sant (and I have an in with that dude). Then, i'm looking for the firmware number?
crestman is offline  
post #6528 of 15986 Old 11-23-2015, 09:08 PM
Senior Member
 
libertyforall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Midwest
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Got the 1.3.15-UHD today on my P70, now what are the new features? Why do I have to CALL Vizio for this?!
libertyforall is offline  
post #6529 of 15986 Old 11-23-2015, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mpgxsvcd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 8,602
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2676 Post(s)
Liked: 2388
Red face

Last Edited: 2-10-2016 - Switched to using 2.2 for gamma. This is purely a matter of preference. 2.2 is said to be accurate. However, a value of 2.2 on your TV might not mean that it is using exactly 2.2 for the gamma curve. Only a meter could determine that. Updated my color setting because I found some situations where color clipping occurred("The Biggest Loser" was the culprit in this case). Updated my stance on Clear Action for game use only. Also added comments about 120 HZ TVs that end in "-C1" and how they might flicker with Clear Action turned on. I used the WOW disc for the RGB Brightness and Contrast settings this time. It has a much more precise test pattern than the DVE disc I was using before.

Got the 1.3.15-UHD update today for my 50" P-series, 55" 2015 M-series, and the mighty 80" 2015 M-series. Here are the things that it fixes and the things that still are broken.

What has been fixed or changed.

1. The M55 no longer has the option for Reduce Motion Blur. The P50 and M80 still have it and it works the same as it did before.

2. It appears that the Reduce Judder setting is the same up to about a value of 2 or 3. However, from 3-10 the motion interpolation seems to be less aggressive. I still use a value of 1 or 2 but the higher values aren't as unnatural as they were before.

3. Clear Action no longer produces the flickering for the M80. It still dims the screen excessively but it doesn't have the flicker that it did before.

4. The Yellow Brightness setting no longer produces the split screen dimming that it did before.

5. Reduce Judder and Reduce Motion Blur are grayed out on the M80 for HDMI Input 5. This was because I had HDMI 5 set to input 1080p @ 120 FPS. These settings will work with any other frame rate on any input.

What hasn't been fixed or hasn't changed.

1. The Red, Green, and Blue Brightness settings in the individual color menu still give a posterizing effect if you adjust them away from their default settings for certain material(I notice this the most with the latest Transformers Blu-ray). Sorry I can't post examples of this because of copy right claims. This appears as excessive noise and color clipping.

2. The reduce signal noise setting still produces an undesirable motion blur effect in certain situations. I know I had said I couldn't see a downside to this setting before and I couldn't until I got the latest Avengers Blu-ray disc. In the very dark scenes the reduce signal noise setting will produce motion blurring with that Avengers Disc. Ultimately I was using the Reduce Signal Noise setting to eliminate the noise that the Individual Brightness settings were causing. Once I returned those settings to their default value I no longer needed to use the reduce signal noise setting.

3. The credits for one specific Netflix program(American Horror Story Season 3 episode 4 titled "Fearful Pranks Ensue") produce a pumping effect when Active LED Zones is turned on. I also discovered that the Planet of the Apes movie produces this same effect while the translation text is on screen. Just turn off "Active LED Zones" if this is the case.

Here are my final settings with the M80 and the 1.3.15-UHD firmware. These are the recommended settings that I think everyone should use. For the most part these settings apply to all 2015 Vizio M-series TVs.

Picture Mode = Based off of the "Calibrated" default profile
Backlight = 87 (This is a matter of preference. Try a value from 23 to 87 depending on your needs and likes).
Brightness = 50 for Auto or YCbCr. 28 for RGB (Please don't touch this setting for Auto or YCbCr. You are only messing things up if you adjust it with those Color Spaces).
Contrast = 50 for Auto or YCbCr. 63 for RGB (Please don't touch this setting for Auto or YCbCr. You are only messing things up if you adjust it with those Color Spaces).
Color = 53 (Start with this value and adjust accordingly) 02-01-2016 UPDATE - I changed this from 56 to 53 because I found some scenarios where 56 caused mild color clipping and 53 did not. I am retesting all of my settings with even more scenarios in order to determine full proof settings in all situations. This takes time though so please be patient.
Tint = 0(Don't adjust this setting)
Sharpness = 33(This is simply a matter of preference. 20 is the default value. Just start there if you aren't sure where to start).

More Picture Settings
Color Temperature = Computer* (Use Normal* if you want accuracy. Use computer if you want whiter whites instead of yellow whites which is actually more accurate)
Black Detail = Low (I don't notice any difference between low, Medium, and High so I use Low)
Active LED Zones = ON
Reduce Judder = 1 or 2 (However, if you see intermittent issues with the ticker tape on ESPN or News Networks then turn this setting to Zero with a setting of 10 for Reduce Motion Blur)
Reduce Motion Blur = 10 (A setting of 10 improves the intermittent issues with the ticker tape on ESPN or News Networks.

Clear Action = Off for all regular TV content and movies. For 120 Hz TVs(All 2014 P-series and 60"+ 2015 M-series TVs that end in "-C3") clear action doesn't produce a noticeable flicker but it will reduce the brightness of the TV significantly. M-series that end in "-C1" have been reported to produce the flickering seen in the 55" and smaller TVs. For games the reduced brightness may be worth the reduction in pixel lag that all LCD based TVs inherently have. Clear Action can significantly improve the motion handling for games(Not regular TV) at the expense of some screen brightness. 60 Hz TVs(All 55" and smaller 2015 M-series TVs) will still have some flickering even if you set the TV to RGB Color Space and adjust the contrast and brightness to reduce but not eliminate the flickering. Try Clear Action for games with 55" and smaller M-series TVs but turn it off if the flickering bothers you. It will probably work well for you with games on all 120 Hz Vizio TVs that end in "-C3".

Reduce noise = both settings Off (This is different than what I had recommended before because I finally found situations where it produces an undesirable effect).
Game Low Latency = Off for TV. "On" for Games. I have found the input lag on HDMI 1-4 with GLL enabled to be unacceptable for my Black OPs III uses. RTINGS.com has stated that is about 45.2 ms instead of the 18.5 ms that you get on HDMI 5 with GLL turned on. For this reason I recommend "ALL" gaming be done on HDMI input 5 with GLL turned on. It may not bother you for other games but it really bothers me. If you turn GLL off it will have an input lag of 84 ms for HDMI 5 and 103.6 ms for HDMI 1-4. That will be unacceptable to virtually everyone if they compare it to HDMI 5 with GLL turned on.
Film Mode = Auto
Color Space = Auto
Gamma = 2.2 (Use 1.8 if you want the least crushed whites and blacks or 2.4 if you want to crush blacks and whites)

Color Calibration/Color Tuner
Only adjust the overall "Offset" values for Red, Green, and Blue. Don't do the 11 point white Balance adjustments. It has issues that other reviewers have noted.

I use the settings below but your specific TV may be different for these settings.

"Computer" Color Settings with color set at 53 and Gamma = 2.2

Red = +5
Green = 0
Blue = -5


"Normal" Color Settings with color set at 59 and Gamma = 2.2

Red = 0
Green = 0
Blue = 4
mhaider, VBB, ryoung07 and 47 others like this.

Last edited by mpgxsvcd; 02-10-2016 at 09:04 AM.
mpgxsvcd is offline  
post #6530 of 15986 Old 11-23-2015, 11:52 PM
Member
 
rallymewrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post
Here are my final settings with the M80 and the 1.3.15-UHD firmware. These are the recommended settings that I think everyone should use. For the most part these settings apply to all 2015 Vizio M-series TVs.
Thanks for the details mpgxsvcd

Anyone willing to compare these settings with the CNET settings.
rallymewrx is offline  
post #6531 of 15986 Old 11-24-2015, 12:57 AM
Member
 
jimbodan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was hoping you guys here could answer a couple of questions I had about this TV. I'm currently trying to decide between the 43 inch Vizio M43-C1 or the 40 inch Samsung UN40JU6400. My 2 main questions about the Vizio are how well does it do as a PC monitor? I've done some research and found out it doesn't have 4:4:4 chroma subsampling. I really have no idea how big of a deal this is since my current monitor is 4:4:4 so I've never seen content in 4:2:2. Despite the chroma issues does the Vizio still make a good monitor or should I avoid it if one of my main uses for it would be as a monitor? My second question is about motion blur. According to the Rtings review the Vizio has pretty bad motion blur, however I think I've read that the motion blur issue is fixed with a firmware update? Is this correct? Is motion blur still bad with an updated firmware? I plan on using the TV a lot for playing games and watching sports, so motion blur is major factor for me. Thanks!
jimbodan is offline  
post #6532 of 15986 Old 11-24-2015, 02:47 AM
Member
 
vlad335's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Latrobe, PA
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post

Here are my final settings with the M80 and the 1.3.15-UHD firmware. These are the recommended settings that I think everyone should use. For the most part these settings apply to all 2015 Vizio M-series TVs.

Picture Mode = Based off of the "Calibrated" default profile
Backlight = 77 (This is a matter of preference. Try a value from 53 to 83 depending on your needs and likes).
Brightness = 50 (Please don't touch this setting. You are only messing things up if you adjust it).
Contrast = 50 (Please don't touch this setting. You are only messing things up if you adjust it).
Color = 58 (Start with this value and adjust accordingly)
Tint = 0(Don't adjust this setting)
Sharpness = 38(This is simply a matter of preference. 20 is the default value. Just start there if you aren't sure where to start).

More Picture Settings
Color Temperature = Computer* (Use Normal* if you want accuracy. Use computer if you want whiter whites instead of yellow whites which is actually more accurate)
Black Detail = Low (I don't notice any difference between low, Medium, and High so I use Low)
Active LED Zones = ON
Reduce Judder = 1 or 2
Reduce Motion Blur = 9
Clear Action = Off
Reduce noise = both settings Off (This is different than what I had recommended before because I finally found situations where it produces an undesirable effect).
Game Low Latency = Off
Film Mode = Auto
Color Space = Auto
Gamma = 2.1 (Use 1.8 if you want the least crushed whites and blacks or 2.4 if you want to crush blacks and whites)

Color Calibration/Color Tuner
Only adjust the overall "Offset" values for Red, Green, and Blue. Don't do the 11 point white Balance adjustments. It has issues that other reviewers have noted.

I use the settings below but your specific TV may be different for these settings.

Red Offset = -9
Green Offset = -13
Blue Offset = -23
Nice, thank you for these settings.

Weird, I bought the M60 on Sunday and called Vizio yesterday afternoon regarding not being able to update. ( 1.0.06 firmware) I have never seen anything like this with any electronics or computer gear and told the Vizio lady so. She acted like this is perfectly normal and tells me it will take up to a week. I was actually considering boxing this up and heading back to Walmart when the set turns off and back on. Firmware updates to 1. 2. 23.

Actually I think the picture is slightly worse with this firmware. MNF looked like crap and I spent most of the game trying to adjust the set.

Why didnt I get the latest FW? I want 1. 3. 15.! How long will it take to update again in everyone's experience?
vlad335 is offline  
post #6533 of 15986 Old 11-24-2015, 04:47 AM
Newbie
 
sway40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad335 View Post
Nice, thank you for these settings.

Weird, I bought the M60 on Sunday and called Vizio yesterday afternoon regarding not being able to update. ( 1.0.06 firmware) I have never seen anything like this with any electronics or computer gear and told the Vizio lady so. She acted like this is perfectly normal and tells me it will take up to a week. I was actually considering boxing this up and heading back to Walmart when the set turns off and back on. Firmware updates to 1. 2. 23.

Actually I think the picture is slightly worse with this firmware. MNF looked like crap and I spent most of the game trying to adjust the set.

Why didnt I get the latest FW? I want 1. 3. 15.! How long will it take to update again in everyone's experience?
I just turned on my tv this morning and it was updated to 1.3.15. I've got the m60 which updated to 1.2.23 after I got it a few months back.

tappin from the lg v10
sway40 is offline  
post #6534 of 15986 Old 11-24-2015, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
Yeto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 558
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
I could care less but this is the Vizio thread for people to ask questions about the Vizio.
A lot of the people who visit this thread are asking for help deciding between Samsung and Vizio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
You seem actively engaged in selling Samsung. Let people decide for themselves.
You should be doing the same if Samsung is a better fit. Are you trying to validate your purchase by always recommending Vizio. You don't see me recommending Pioneer and Panasonic. I don't own now or have I ever owned Samsung but I am around Samsung, Sony, LG and Vizio every day that I work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
Your argument about the Samsung VA panel is totally subjective.
Nope, the way a panel is made is the way it is made and certain panels have certain characteristics that cannot be changed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
Are you a Samsung closeout specialist or something?
Nope
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
I could make one final, compelling argument to buy Vizio, but I'll spare you.
Go for it but I can make a compelling argument to purchase Vizio as well if it fits the customer. Let's hear your argument.
Yeto is offline  
post #6535 of 15986 Old 11-24-2015, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
Yeto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 558
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
Yes I was trying to decide between the Vizio and the JS8500 I saw both of this displays really close and notice that the matte screen on the Vizio makes the picture looks fuzzy but the samsung was very cristal clear but of course that was at the store under a the bright enviroment so the samsung did a better job at the booth.
You were seeing the difference between a coated and a clear panel. Vizio uses light-scattering technology to combat glare and reflection and Samsung uses light-absorbing technology. If you purchase Vizio (for it to really show what it can deliver) it needs to be in a totally dark room to perform at its best although it is still watchable in a room with ambient light.
Yeto is offline  
post #6536 of 15986 Old 11-24-2015, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
Yeto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 558
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
If you have a high ambient light room, most will consider the semi-matte screen a plus.
It has been discussed many times. Vizio does not have a semi-matte screen. Although I don't always agree with Rtings they state that all screens made today are glossy or something to that effect. They are correct with that statement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
The Vizio is a great set for money and will show little negative with good 720p, 1080i, 1080p and 4k sources.
Finally something we agree on. Vizio has to have a good signal or it will struggle more compared to Samsung, Sony or LG because of its sub-par video processing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
Personally, curved screens are a fad IMO. Any off-axis seating works against you.
For curved to work its best you really need to be within 35 degrees of center line. Don't tell I-MAX or movie theaters that curved screens are a fad.
Yeto is offline  
post #6537 of 15986 Old 11-24-2015, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
Yeto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 558
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielson99 View Post
Yes, like the M series has a 120hz panel(which has several benefits)
Only the 60 inch and above Vizios have 120 Hz panels and Samsung's 60 Hz Tvs out perform Vizio's 120 Hz TVs because of Samsung's superior video processing technology. Consumer Reports will verify this. When it comes to Samsung's 120 Hz panels Samsung easily wins here as well with picture quality but not price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielson99 View Post
, 32 zone local dimming, better blacks, better black uniformity and better contrast.
Only in a room with 0 ambient light and will depend on the particular scene.

Last edited by Yeto; 11-24-2015 at 06:01 AM.
Yeto is offline  
post #6538 of 15986 Old 11-24-2015, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mboojigga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Little Rock AFB, Arkansas
Posts: 9,093
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad335 View Post
Nice, thank you for these settings.

Weird, I bought the M60 on Sunday and called Vizio yesterday afternoon regarding not being able to update. ( 1.0.06 firmware) I have never seen anything like this with any electronics or computer gear and told the Vizio lady so. She acted like this is perfectly normal and tells me it will take up to a week. I was actually considering boxing this up and heading back to Walmart when the set turns off and back on. Firmware updates to 1. 2. 23.

Actually I think the picture is slightly worse with this firmware. MNF looked like crap and I spent most of the game trying to adjust the set.

Why didnt I get the latest FW? I want 1. 3. 15.! How long will it take to update again in everyone's experience?
Your in a thread that clearly has made this statement countless times,

YOU
CANNOT
CONTROL
THE
UPDATE
PUSH

Calling Vizio isn't going to get the update faster. Asking any of us how long it took an update that we have no control over isn't going to get you the update any faster. I got my Vizio in June and got my Firmware update on 30 July. I was one of the first to get the 65" on this website while others who bought the same size tv got the update the same night they hooked it up or weeks after. It is what it is. If you don't think the latest update better than the original then my recommendation is box it up and look at something different.
mpgxsvcd, Ph8te and Mohadib Paul like this.

The 5.0 is here
mboojigga is offline  
post #6539 of 15986 Old 11-24-2015, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
Yeto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 558
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
The Vizio does a nice job of muting the reflections and the natural contrast of the set is outstanding... deep blacks and as bright as you want.
This is misinformation and has been proven in this forum with photos that the M-series has a gloss screen and is just as reflective as any other TV. Go into any store and adjust your angle of reflection and you will see the store's overhead lights just as clearly in a Vizio as you will any other TV. If this is wrong I challenge anyone to provide photos showing otherwise.
Yeto is offline  
post #6540 of 15986 Old 11-24-2015, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
Yeto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 558
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvidia256 View Post
Vizio M series: 60" and up
Superior Contrast
Only in a room with 0 ambient light such as CNET uses to test their TVs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvidia256 View Post
24p 1:1 (very important for movies)
Samsung's high end video processing makes this issue imperceptible. Consumer Reports will verify this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvidia256 View Post
Native 120Hz panel
Does not have as good video processing as some other companies and will lose out to some TVs with 60 Hz panels. Consumer Reports will verify this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvidia256 View Post
Full array Local Dimming
Over-hyped. Because of the low number of zones good in some scenes that are mostly dark but not so good in scenes with varied dark and light areas as Vizio will crush blacks in the darker areas. I may back track on this as someone is helping me with settings (I don't have permission to use their name but they post in this forum and have done extensive research related to settings) and I am going to run some more tests today to try and improve what I am seeing in scenes with varied dark and light areas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvidia256 View Post
Low input latency
Vizio wins here but at the cost of sub-par video processing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvidia256 View Post
better handling for motion
Consumer Reports states that even Samsung's 6500 60 Hz entry level TV outperforms Vizio in this area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvidia256 View Post
the list goes on....
No, sorry, it doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvidia256 View Post
I agree Samsung has a better OS and support for formats. However The Vizio beats the Samsung where it matters, Picture quality.
Not true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvidia256 View Post
Start talking Samsung JU7100 and up then it beats Vizio.
Would not be fair to Vizio as the 7100 is more expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvidia256 View Post
the 6700 is cheap and overpriced for what it is.
Again, when compared to the M not true.
Yeto is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off