AVS Forum banner

Official 2015 Vizio 4K UHD M Series Thread

2M views 16K replies 2K participants last post by  videoguy60467 
#1 · (Edited)
Specs and prices for new Vizio M series just leaked by hdguru so wanted to start a thread. Per hdguru:

8 screen sizes from 43-inches ($599) to 80-inches ($3999). While all have 4K (3840 x 2160) resolution, there are no quantum dots for a wider color gamut or higher dynamic range. 3D is omitted. Like Vizio’s 2014 4K UHD “P” series the “M”s offer LCD panels using full array LED backlighting with local dimming. The 60- and 65-inch models have 32 dimmable zones and employ 10-bit LCD panels. While Vizio does not provide a native refresh rate, per cnet it's likely to be 60 or 120 Hz

Vizio’s 2015 4K UHD M Series (Vizio will announce and release April 13-14).
M80-C3 $3,999 June
M75-C1 $2,999 Fall 2015
M70-C3 $2,199 Spring
M65-C1 $1,699 Spring
M60-C3 $1,499.99 Now on Amazon
M55-C2 $999 Spring
M50-C1 $899 Spring
M43-C1 $599 Spring

Model Information: Vizio 2015 M65-C1
Physical Properties
Dimensions w/ Stand: 57.39 x 35.37 x 11.6
Dimensions w/o Stand: 59.39″ x 32.87″ x 2.52″
Remote Model: XRT500
Weight w/ Stand: 61.73 Lbs.
Weight w/o Stand: 60.72 Lbs.
Remote Connectivity: IR
Stand Measurements
Distance Between Inner Stand Legs: 46.80″
Distance Between Outer Stand Legs: 49.95″
Stand Depth (Back Side): 5.55″
Stand Depth (Front Side): 4.85″
Total Stand Depth: 11.16″
Display Features
Screen Size (Diag): 65″
64.5″ actual screen size
Number of Colors: 1.07 Billion
Backlight Type: Full Array LED
Local/Smart Dimming: Yes (32 zones)
Dynamic Contrast Ratio: 20 Million to 1
Smart TV: Yes
Resolution: 2160p (4K)
Refresh Rate (SPS/Native): 240Hz (SPS)/ Unclear Hz Native, per cnet may be 60 or 120
Smooth Motion: No
Clear Action Rate: 720
3D: No
CEC: Yes
ARC: Yes
Zero Bright Pixel Policy: Yes
Audio Features
Speaker Power Output: 10W x 2
DTS StudioSound: Yes
DTS TruVolume: Yes
DTS TruSurround: Yes
Wi-Fi: 802.11ac dual band
Bluetooth/Wifi-Direct: No
Inputs/ Outputs
HDMI: 5
Analog Audio Out: 1
Component: 1
Digital Audio Out (SPDIF): 1
Composite: 1 (shared with Component)/ Coaxial: 1
Multimedia Features
Ethernet: 1
USB Music: Yes
USB: 1
USB Photo: Yes
PC/VGA: 0
USB Video: Yes
Media Sharing Capable: Yes
Mount Pattern: 400mm x 400mm
Screw Size: M6
Screw Length: 16mm
Power Consumption: 220W
Standby Power Consumption:

See less See more
#1,161 ·
Trying to decide between the 70" and 80". Kind of sucks since I still feel like we're in a pre-4K period right now but it is what it is. Anything different between the panels besides size? I'm leaning toward the 70" for half the price.

Also any recommendations for wall mounts for a 70"-80"?

#1,162 · (Edited)
I wished I could have also seen this playing a 1080p feed or if it was hooked up to a Blu Ray player, instead of the 4K feed they had playing inside the store.
Went to Costco today and took another look at the 80". They were nice enough to change the 4K feed to their regular satellite signal, as I wanted to see what "normal TV" looks like. Obviously the PQ took a big hit (the 4K looks amazing) but I thought for about the same price (actually $80 cheaper) the Vizeo was every bit as good as the 75" Samsung (UN75JU6500) sitting right next to it. The guy who was assisting me said they sold one earlier today when a rep from Vizeo was in the store.

Now I just have to figure out where to donate my old Sony 70" lcd rear projection (KDF-70XBR950 - Sony's top of the line back in 2004 - $6,750 including its stand!). I'm pretty sure somebody will take it - the picture still looks very good for a set from that vintage. Once its destination is confirmed I'm headed back to Costco to buy the Vizeo 80 incher! :)

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
#1,163 ·
Trying to decide between the 70" and 80". Kind of sucks since I still feel like we're in a pre-4K period right now but it is what it is. Anything different between the panels besides size? I'm leaning toward the 70" for half the price.

Also any recommendations for wall mounts for a 70"-80"?
Everything I have seen indicates that the 70" and 80" 2015 M-series are identical in performance and specifications. Financially it doesn't make sense to get the 80" over the 70" but then again it makes even less sense to buy 65" TVs from Samsung and Sony for the same price as the 80" Vizio but lots of people still do that.

#1,164 ·
Does anyone know if the M series supports 5.1 pass through on the optical port? Very useful with a Sonos system for inputing An HDMI Dolby Digital source into the TV and passing is through the optical port.

Other than Sony most manufacturers only support 2 channel from external sources.

#1,165 ·
Some TVs may have better colors out of the box. However, all of these TVs are capable of being calibrated to the REC.709 standard. Once you do that the colors will be identical. Honestly, the whole "Better Colors" thing is a farce unless one TV is 6, 8, or 10 bit instead of something higher in another TV. And even then the source content probably can't take advantage of that anyway.

Blacks and dynamic range are the main factors that differentiate these TVs. 240 Hz specs and color claims are just marketing magic.
Just like not knowing what is meant by calibration (hopefully you do now) you continue to opine falsehoods about color fidelity. The Sony Triluminos televisions do provide better color fidelity.

#1,166 ·
Does anyone know if the M series supports 5.1 pass through on the optical port? Very useful with a Sonos system for inputing An HDMI Dolby Digital source into the TV and passing is through the optical port.

Other than Sony most manufacturers only support 2 channel from external sources.
I couldn't get 5.1 from Optical (PC) -> TV -> receiver so My guess is not.

#1,168 ·
Just like not knowing what is meant by calibration (hopefully you do now) you continue to opine falsehoods about color fidelity. The Sony Triluminos televisions do provide better color fidelity.
So if two TVs were 100% calibrated(with light meters) to the REC.709 spec you are suggesting that one of them would have "Better Colors"? By definition of the spec they would have to have the same colors if they were 100% compliant with the spec.

Some TVs now are capable of higher color fidelity. However, there is only a handful of clips that can take advantage of that extra fidelity at the moment. It will be a year or two before the extra color fidelity will be able to be realized with a substantial amount of content.

#1,169 ·
How does Vizio handle firmware updates? As in, will we ever see one to fix some of these issues right now? Such as having to turn on GLL to fix soap opera stuff =/
They will automatically push out firmware over the network if they decide to fix any issues. If not many people call them and complain about the issue they won't fix it. Personally it wasn't a big enough issue for me to even call them about it. I didn't plan on using the Soap Opera effect anyway.

#1,170 ·
So if two TVs were 100% calibrated(with light meters) to the REC.709 spec you are suggesting that one of them would have "Better Colors"? By definition of the spec they would have to have the same colors if they were 100% compliant with the spec.

Some TVs now are capable of higher color fidelity. However, there is only a handful of clips that can take advantage of that extra fidelity at the moment. It will be a year or two before the extra color fidelity will be able to be realized with a substantial amount of content.

Yes, because each TV (even within manufacturer) will calibrate slightly differently. Much is dependent on panel and available controls. If you bring a Sony and a Samsung BOTH will end up with different results. If you want to see proof of this just take a look at the many shootouts by VE that get done each year or heck the reviews by CNET. Not all TVs are made equal.

Sent from nowhere

#1,171 ·
They will automatically push out firmware over the network if they decide to fix any issues. If not many people call them and complain about the issue they won't fix it. Personally it wasn't a big enough issue for me to even call them about it. I didn't plan on using the Soap Opera effect anyway.
I wish I could enable film mode though.. I guess I'll tell them about it on Live Chat just to get the word out.

#1,172 ·

I have the P-Series. I get 5.1 from the TV to my Vizio soundbar using optical. This includes Xbox One, TiVo mini, etc.

#1,173 ·
Yes, because each TV (even within manufacturer) will calibrate slightly differently. Much is dependent on panel and available controls. If you bring a Sony and a Samsung BOTH will end up with different results. If you want to see proof of this just take a look at the many shootouts by VE that get done each year or heck the reviews by CNET. Not all TVs are made equal.

Sent from nowhere
Not all TVs are made equal. However, the whole point of the Rec. 709 specification is to make those uneven TVs equal in color.

#1,174 ·
I wish I could enable film mode though.. I guess I'll tell them about it on Live Chat just to get the word out.
You have to call them to really get their attention. Phone calls cost a lot of money for them. It can't just be one person either. Once their support call costs start to show up on reports they will do something about it.

#1,176 ·
Sighhhh, you don't seem to be getting it at all....

Sent from nowhere
You have been saying all along that if I don't end up with exactly 100% of the output of the specification as measured by calibrated devices then I haven't calibrated anything. In the same respect if you calibrate two TVs and end up with different results then you haven't calibrated one or both of those TVs either.

#1,177 ·

I have a p series that I use with a sonos playbar, and it outputs Dolby 5.1. I plan to do the same with a larger M series. The manual indicates it will output Dolby 5.1 over SPDIF just like the p series.

#1,178 ·
You have been saying all along that if I don't end up with exactly 100% of the output of the specification as measured by calibrated devices then I haven't calibrated anything. In the same respect if you calibrate two TVs and end up with different results then you haven't calibrated one or both of those TVs either.

If you think that, then you haven't understood anything we have been trying to tell you.

Sent from nowhere

#1,180 ·
Is there a way to get 5.1 from PC -> TV -> Receiver? I could only get it to send stereo and gave up.
Not sure how you are sending the signal into the TV, or your reciever. I have the cable box and samsung DVD player (with DTS transcode to Dolby since it is going to Sonos), they are set to send Dolby to the TV and connect via HDMI. I have the TV set for bitstream on for digital audio out and use the optical out to the Sonos. Sometimes the TV goes back to the PCM and I get stereo, so I have to go back and set it again. Has happened twice in the 6 or so months I have had it.