AVS Forum banner

Buying a new TV. Vizio E vs M or jump up to P?

29K views 32 replies 9 participants last post by  hoofhearted4 
#1 · (Edited)
So I'm in the market for a new TV. Depending on what I choose, will directly related to when I can get the TV. Could be next month, or a few months. Honestly I just started looking again yesterday, so I'm by no means set. A quick Google search and checking out CNet, leads me to some Vizio TVs. Now I have a couple of options here. I can go cheaper and bigger, or more expensive and smaller. As my title says, I'm looking at the E vs M series. The CNet review stated there really wasn't much of a difference between these two lines of TVs. So assuming I'd like to save some money, is there any reason to jump up to the M series for the extra money? However, saving money aside, I saw the P series, an affordable 4k, with what seems to be great reviews. however this costs a good chunk more. My original budget for TVs was $1000. So I'd be looking into the 50" model, whereas for the E/Ms I could get a 60". Now I'll have to double check, but I should have no problem fitting a 60" in my living room. also 60" I think would be as big as I'd want to go.

A little more info: As I said, my budget is ~$1000. If I can buy a TV for less, eg. the E/M TVs then great, means I can get a TV sooner, where as a P TV would mean more saving ofc. My apartment is small, I'm probably around 10 feet from where the TV would be. The room is a very well lit room. The TV would be in front of a large window, and on the side of my room, to the left is another large window, which always has a shade pulled down. there is no light source from a window to the right, or coming from where I'd be sitting. So nothing straight on. The TV would mostly be used to movies (Blu-Ray) via PS3 (and someday a PS4 haha), or Netflix, light TV watching (DirectTV), and medium to light video game playing. I would not consider myself a videophile. I'm coming from a 36" ~10y/o LED/LCD? not even 100% sure, so Any upgrade will be huge.

Long story short, I'm looking for the differences between the E and M series. If I'm to go that route, is it worth paying the extra money for the M series? or should I consider the jump up to the P series? If I go cheap, I'd be looking at the 60" models, where as the P series, I'd be looking at the 50" model, to stay closer to my budget.

Thank you for your help! If there is a thread that would help me, to save anyone from writing too much, I'd be happy to be directed towards it. If there are other TVs I should consider to fit my needs, I'll also take recommendations on those. I am by no means set on these Vizio TVs, however they do seem like stellar TVs for my price range and needs. And if there is any more information I can give to help you guys give opinions more tailored to me, by all means ask! I'll continue to look up info myself, But I wanted to come here early because this is the best place in the internet that I've found, for info regarding TVs!

Thanks,
-Hoof

EDIT: I wanted to be more specific then just saying E/M/P series in case that makes a difference, as I'm seeing many things from the beginning of 2014 and want to make sure we are all on the same page haha. I'm looking at the E0i-B and the M2i-B and the P2ui-B TV's. Thank You.

See less See more
#3 ·
That is fantastic news! If the prices drops to that point, then I'd be stupid to get the lower end models if the price gap is that small as it is.

I wouldn't be able to purchase a TV until "Spring" anyways, so I guess it'd be a little pointless to fret over TVs now when this could end up being a game changer.

Thank you so much!

#4 ·
I took my P series back. The unit would power on but I would get no picture. I thought, you know, there isn't much of any 4K content available outside of streaming and that is BluRay quality at best right now. I'm just going to get an M series. Best buy didn't have any 60 inch in stock so I thought, you know, the E series isn't much of a step down from the M series so what the heck, I have a movers coupon, I will pick up this E60 B3 on the cheap and call it a day.

I miss my P series :(

Get the best TV you can afford, no more, no less.

#5 ·
From what you have stated, you will probably be fine with the E60-B3. It seems to be available for $750 now and their may be specials below that price as Vizio rolls out the E60-C3 (2015 model).

For another $100, the additional dimming zones and faster refresh rate of the M60-B3 would be worth it, in my view.

For an additional $250 or 33% (up to current price of $1000), it's more questionable and I'd be on the fence in your shoes.

The M60-C3 is supposed to rollout in the Sping and it is likely there will be significant discounts on the M60-B3 when that happens.

If you enjoy watching in the dark, I would suggest to avoid any 55" Vizio's including the P55 - the 55" Vizio's are based on IPS panels which are superior for viewing angles but significantly worse for contrast ratios and black levels.

So if you want to think about stepping up to the P-Series, the P50 is probably a better choice to consider than the P55.

The P60 is a very good TV and many owners picked it up for $1000 on Black Friday and SuperBowl specials, so if you are patient, that price is likely to return as the 2015 P-Series TVs roll out this fall.

#6 ·
If you enjoy watching in the dark, I would suggest to avoid any 55" Vizio's including the P55 - the 55" Vizio's are based on IPS panels which are superior for viewing angles but significantly worse for contrast ratios and black levels.
So the 55 is okay with lights on in a living room setting. I can only go as big as 55 in my living room because of the entertainment center and we watch the lights on.
Allen

#8 ·
^^^thanks
Allen

#10 ·
If I were to go with the P series, I would be going with the 50 inch, just because I couldn't afford to spend the extra money on a 55-60in TV. obviously if I went with the E or M, I could afford the 60in.

However, because I wouldn't be able to buy a TV until end of March or April, later if I spend more, it will probably be worth waiting for those TVs in the price leak to be revealed. those could be a significant improvement and change my decision process entirely. In which case I'll be back here asking about those TVs and whatnot haha!

as far as not a lot of content being out for 4k, I plan on hopefully having this TV for 10 years and/or until a 60" OLED is >$1000. I'd hope that within that time frame, 4K would become more prevalent. I wouldn't want to not get a 4K today just because its not largely available, that is, if a 4K TV is within my price range,

appreciate the input everyone!

#11 ·
Depending on your setting distance, 1080p upscaled on a 4K TV looks better - there are no visible pixels even when viewing from up close, so the result is more 'film-like'.

And the UHD streaming from Amazon and Netfix (with sufficient Internet bandwidth) looks '1080p-like' where compression artifacts on the HDTV version always meant streaming never looked as good as Bluray...

60" 1080p versus 50" 4K would be a tough call - what is the distance you plan to view from?

#17 ·
all very good points and opinions! haha I just don't want to regret not getting a 4K when they are in my price range (ish).

but the main plan at this point is to wait until these new TVs come out in the Spring, when I'm more in line to actually buy a TV anyways. and check back here once the reviews are out. see if the consensus is to still buy the cheaper TVs or bump up to a 4K.

Thanks for everyone's help! you've all been amazing as always!

#19 ·
Honestly that article makes a good point, in reference to my dilemma, in that normally getting a 4K under a 60-65" TV isn't worth it. You probably cant tell much of a difference in sizes under that and at that point are just paying for the label of having a 4K TV. With that in mind, when the new TVs come out, I might just be leaning towards a 1080p 60" TV even if there's an affordable good 50" 4K. If I cant really tell the difference at those sizes, I'd rather just get the extra 10 inches, because I WILL be able to tell the difference for that! (sizes that is).

I repeat myself in that I guess I'll just have to wait until these new TVs come out, their reviews and prices. but just thinking of the above in that way, makes me lean much more towards a nice 60" 1080p over a nice 50" 4K.

to re-ask a question I asked in a previous post. Do games look any better on a 4K? do they get upscaled? or do they play at their native resolution? I'm assuming the latter but I figured I'd as anyways. Can I hook a PC up to a 4K and play PC games at 4K? or is a 4K TV different then a 4K monitor when it comes to that?

#26 ·
Well, you will certainly be able to pick up a P50 for your budget of $1000, and if you are patient, I'm pretty sure you will even be able to find a P60 for that price by late this year (or possibly even earlier depending on when the 2015 M and P models roll out...).

#27 · (Edited)
Actually I just stopped by Walmart and they have a p50 for $700. Unfortunately it was on a non moving picture but yea. Real cheap. Gotta check on their website see what they sell a p60 for.

Edit: No luck. The p55 and p60 are both full price (1200 and 1400 respectively). But even online the p50 was 700. So it wasn't an in store mistake or anything.

#28 ·
Yeah, those are the full prices (which are not bad).

On special, much better pricing has been in the offing twice now - both over the Black Friday Holiday period as well as the week before the Super Bowl, most every larger P-Seroes model was $500 off.

I picked up my P70 for $2000 and many P60 owners on the Forum got their P60s for under $1000...

Who can say if/when that pricing will return, but when Vizio decides to move the remaining volume of 2014 P60, you'll probably have a small window to pick one up for $1000 before they are gone...

#32 ·
I bought myself 70inch M series after my old samsung died(lasted me 3yrs). I thought 70inch was too big and wished I opted for 60 but after a week of using it. OH MY GOD, I dont think I could ever go back to smaller tv. The blacks on this thing is insane, color looks great. I love it!

#33 ·
I'm really leaning towards the 1080p TVs. I think Id rather have a 60" TV over a 50", even if the 50" is 4K. from what people say, size > resolution and 4K isn't such a big deal on TVs under 65".

but we will see. I'll be waiting for these new TVs to drop, will give me time to save anyways. worst case, the 2014 models will drop in price, and theres no reason to get the 2015 over them, and ill get a great TV even cheaper. Though hopefully waiting is worth it an the 2015 models are an improvement!

I guess that's pretty much it at this point. Thanks again everyone. be talking to you in a few months!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.