The East Coast TV Adventure begins! - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By R. Aster
  • 1 Post By JackVette
  • 1 Post By DireWolf08
post #1 of 15 Old 02-27-2015, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The East Coast TV Adventure begins!

So after MUCH research on the forums I decided to take the leap and buy from these guys. See details below:

Samsung UN75HU8550
Advertised Price: $3,095 ( Ipad 1k more than that)
Protection Plan: Declined
Shipping Method: White Glove Shipping (thrown in for "free")
Order Placed: 02/27/15 at 12:35PM ET

I initially talked to "Michael" who was a complete jackass and after going through the motions with him I hung up. I called back about 45 minutes later and again got Michael who promptly sent me over to his manager, "Tony" (With the accents I was kinda picturing James Gandolfini on the other line but I digress....). He was much cooler and got me a price that was about a grand higher than the advertised price, but still $1400 less than Best buy, etc. He tried the upsell with the insurance, but wasn't pushy with it and threw in the White Glove Delivery at no cost.

At 12:59 "Tony" called to tell me my card had been charged and that the invoice should hit my inbox soon. As of 1:22PM, no email. he also asked me to leave them good feedback once the TV was delivered.

Will keep you cats informed as to the process from beginning to end.

Fingers crossed it goes as painlessly as possible!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-27-2015, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

1:56 PM- I call customer to inquire about invoice, find out they spelled my name wrong. Invoice has arrived.

From the Invoice:
Samsung 75" Series 8 LED 4K Ultra HDTV - UN75HU8550FXZA SAMSUNG ORIGINAL PANEL VERSION TS01.

Price as agreed upon. Website says they're awaiting a tracking number ("Tony" said it should leave the warehouse today)

More as it comes.

Last edited by khackshaw; 02-27-2015 at 02:46 PM.
post #3 of 15 Old Yesterday, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Day 3 (Counting business days only-Ordered Friday noon)
Called "Tony" at ECTV today and was told that the TV shipped this AM and the shipping info will be sent in an email later today.

So far, so good methinks. To be honest, this is proceeding better than expected.

Last edited by khackshaw; Today at 08:33 AM.
post #4 of 15 Old Yesterday, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 28
What was their excuse for offering you a price that was $1k higher than the advertised price? And out of curiosity, any reason you didn't go with Value Electronics or Cleveland Plasma?
post #5 of 15 Old Yesterday, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by khackshaw View Post
So far, so good methinks. To be honest, this is proceeding better than expected.
... said the teenagers as they entered the old dark house emanating the smell of rotting meat deep in the woods at the end of the unmarked road on a moonless night during late October.
streetmike likes this.

R. Aster
post #6 of 15 Old Yesterday, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Good Question!
All their prices on the website are for what they call the "AU" (import) panels. If you want "Genuine US" ('Murica!) panels, you have to pay the uptick. I knew about the bait and switch going in, but overall, when you're saving $1600+, then I'm not going to pitch a fit about it, yunno?

Cleveland Plasma was still about $300 more than these guys, which again, was enough for me to deal with the BS at East Coast. never heard of Value electronics.

Thus far, Tony has been ok. The first salesguy was a complete douchebag and handed me off to Tony when I started to ask too many questions.. They tried to upsell me on the insurance but after a couple of firm no's, Tony backed off.

It's al on my Amex, so things go sideways (product never shows up or is damaged en route), I'm protected.
post #7 of 15 Old Yesterday, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

LOL Aster!
My expectations are pretty low, so anything above that has me pleasantly surprised. If I get this TV before the end of the week (6 business days total), I'll be stunned.
post #8 of 15 Old Yesterday, 11:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I wondered about using this lot for a Sharp 90 I'm looking at. Then I read the Yelp and BBB feedback. Then I decided not to...

Seggers

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #9 of 15 Old Yesterday, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I used ECTV for my SHARP 90" TV a couple of years ago.

They charged me insurance which ended up being about $150 more than originally quoted.

The TV showed up pretty close to the timeframe promised.

Before buying, I made it clear (and in writing) that if I didn't get a tracking number by a certain date, I would cancel the order.

Overall, it was a little scary, but I saved a bunch. And, after two years, I still love the TV. I'm sure I would love the current 90" even more....

Best of luck. Size does matter in my mind.
khackshaw likes this.
post #10 of 15 Old Today, 04:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Good Question!
All their prices on the website are for what they call the "AU" (import) panels. If you want "Genuine US" ('Murica!) panels, you have to pay the uptick. I knew about the bait and switch going in, but overall, when you're saving $1600+, then I'm not going to pitch a fit about it, yunno?
I saw them advertising a different 75" samsung with an "AU" panel and it has me confused.

When talking about Samsung TV panels, the AU typically refers to "AU Optronics", a panel manufacturer that Samsung often uses - see "Samsung panel lottery". I was under the impression that Samsung uses Samsung panelsonly for their 75" and flagship TVs (e.g. the 75" HU8550). So, it seems like they are using scare tactics that don't apply to this model to get you to pay more than the advertised price. Am I way off here?
post #11 of 15 Old Today, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

I wouldn't disagree with you. They pull you in with the super-low price then tell you that the Ts01 panel is only available on the more expensive TV's. Arguing with them is futile and trying to get them to sell you the AU panel at their advertised price will never happen (out of stock, plane carrying your TV crashed into the ocean, warehouse burned down, etc).

At the end of the day, you'll (hopefully) get a US-spec TS01 panel TV at a price far below the retail price. I'm still in the midst of the process, so I can only speak about my experience up to this point, which to be fair, based on some of the horror stories I've read about on this site and others could be far worse.
post #12 of 15 Old Today, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I wouldn't disagree with you. They pull you in with the super-low price then tell you that the Ts01 panel is only available on the more expensive TV's. Arguing with them is futile and trying to get them to sell you the AU panel at their advertised price will never happen (out of stock, plane carrying your TV crashed into the ocean, warehouse burned down, etc).

At the end of the day, you'll (hopefully) get a US-spec TS01 panel TV at a price far below the retail price. I'm still in the midst of the process, so I can only speak about my experience up to this point, which to be fair, based on some of the horror stories I've read about on this site and others could be far worse.
Ah, the old "the TV we shipped to you fell off the truck". If I had a nickel . . .

Obviously we're speculating here, but that makes sense. They advertise something that they have no intent to ship you, because it does not exist.

Good luck! There are several stories on here of people who had success getting a great deal on a TV from these outlets, I hope it all works out for you!
khackshaw likes this.
post #13 of 15 Old Today, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Day 4 (counting business days only. Order placed feb 27)
Ok, So called ECTV this morning as the website is still showing that it's "Awaiting a tracking number" and was told that:
"...the TV has been shipped from the warehouse to the hub."

I was also told that I will have it next week as it takes 2 business days to ship to Hub and 5 business days to get to me via ground shipping.
Once Shipping company has it, I was told the shipping company will call to arrange a day and time for delivery. Per the gent I talked to, the tracking # is unavailable until the shipping company has it...

Thus far this is keeping in line with their 7-10 business day delivery schedule.

Last edited by khackshaw; Today at 08:34 AM.
post #14 of 15 Unread Today, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I checked several other online stores (nice electronics/big box superstore) also advertise 75HU8550 for $2849, but claim it's a south america model , so in the end how much you get 75HU8550 US model for? $3095?

Quote:
Good Question!

Cleveland Plasma was still about $300 more than these guys, which again, was enough for me to deal with the BS at East Coast. never heard of Value electronics.

Thus far, Tony has been ok. The first salesguy was a complete douchebag and handed me off to Tony when I started to ask too many questions.. They tried to upsell me on the insurance but after a couple of firm no's, Tony backed off.

It's al on my Amex, so things go sideways (product never shows up or is damaged en route), I'm protected.
post #15 of 15 Unread Today, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Typically, you'll get the 75HU8550 out the door in the range of $4200-$4500 which is a pretty substantial savings compared to the retail cost of $5500 (plus tax). You're not going to find it anywhere near their "Advertised" price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page