AVS Forum banner

I just ordered this Polaroid 42" 4K TV for $369

9K views 83 replies 18 participants last post by  sonic debauchery 
#1 ·
See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
Well Bruce I remember them from CES 2104...

http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/10/polaroid-50GSR9000-hands-on-4k-tv/

Even before CES 2014 was over they were already talking of a price cut on the TV due to the price Vizio came out with. That to me says they did not use quality parts.

And one more thing what major review sites even reviewed this tv or any Polaroid TV for that matter?? I do not know of any??

#7 · (Edited)
Well Bruce I remember them from CES 2104...

http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/10/polaroid-50GSR9000-hands-on-4k-tv/

Even before CES 2014 was over they were already talking of a price cut on the TV due to the price Vizio came out with. That to me says they did not use quality parts.
Actually I don't believe Polaroid release a 4k set last year.. I know it was announce but it seems like they put it on hold and release a better display. The "50GSR9000" they announce would have been HDMI 1.4

The "DE416T1N4AU-PA4" I ordered has HDMI 2.0.

Native Contrast Ratio 5,000:1

Viewing Angles H/V 178 horizontal / 178 vertical viewing angles

Color Support 1.06 Billion

Panel is MVA, 8-bit

Four HDMI inputs including an HDMI 2.0

It's Direct-lit.. no edge-lit light bleed

And one more thing what major review sites even reviewed this tv or any Polaroid TV for that matter?? I do not know of any??
Polaroid launch these new 4k's in December

http://www.polaroid.com/news/polaro...d-led-tv-models-just-in-time-for-the-holidays

I believe there are no reviews because they are brand new.

#13 ·
#18 · (Edited)
I prefer a cheap 1080p tv than a cheap 4k tv up scaling 1080p content to 4k.

if high end 4k tv struggle up scaling content ,imagine this tv?

also how this tv handle motion?

sorry but is only a good deal for PC monitor.

#20 ·
I prefer a cheap 1080p tv than a cheap 4k tv up scaling 1080p content to 4k.

if high end 4k tv struggle up scaling content ,imagine this tv?

sorry but is not a good deal unless is for PC monitor.
Without knowing what up scaling system it uses we're just assuming.

No one is suggesting it has one that could compete with a $4000 Sony TV

But from the reviews It may get you off the name brand bandwagon.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=74413532&postcount=30
I'm really liking mine, so I'm not going to be able to agree with the bad comments. Motion seems fine and overall the quality is pretty darn good. For the price these are great for using as second/tertiary monitor screens and to have cheap TVs in all your bedrooms.

#21 · (Edited)
Yes a 42" 4k pixel density would be high and icons/text would not need to be scaled unlike a 4k on a 24" monitor.

A guy bought a Quasar 42" 4K 60hz ... another cheap 4k TV lol and said;

This is my first 4K display. I havent tried Netflix yet but for gaming Im not sure I can now go back to my 32" BenQ I was using before.
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041460115&postcount=56

#23 ·
#27 ·
I'm not going to post links but Google Polaroid warranty reviews.

Now I said like Nodes Good Luck.
Just tried Google Vizio and L.G warranty reviews.

I don't know what you are trying to say but none of them are good.

When someone gets a bad product (TV etc) yes they are more vocal than those of us who are happy. The L.G looks worse then the Polaroid.

#32 ·
It looks like the same OEM version of the Quasar 42" 4k tv, which claimed 18Gbps HDMI 2.0 and no mention of bandwidth stealing HDCP. It says Quasar is a Panasonic trademark, but that the set was manufactured under a license by PDI Premium distribution.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Quasar-42...namic-Contrast-50-000-1-16-9-SQ4201U/43348122

Tiger Direct just sold out of these last week in a sale for $350 shipped.

Attachments

#49 · (Edited)
I think V500DK2-CKS2 is the same tcon board as the Vizio p502ui-b1e

V420DK1-KS1 panel specs are here
If it's the same panel it should be . Usually the panel makers supply the T con boards for *their * panels .
OTOH I thought Visio used AUO panels on the 4K 50" ofc they have 2 different 50"s with different panels so it could be an Innolux panel .

OTOH the CapXcon capacitors on the PSU board don't look real encouraging those things have a (notoriously bad )reputation.
Usually in a Sony or Samsung you see Rubycons, Nichions ,Samxon or something like that these days .

That CapXcon stuff is on the notorious badcaps list at badcaps.net

If that's the innards of a Quasar or Polaroid with CapXcon caps ........we know one place they cut costs now :(
I think Eagle brand( or something) Owns Polaroid and Emerson and has them made in China somewhere at some unknown factory . Innolux panels can be OK though.
Only a few solid caps in there on the tuner/vid board . Assembly looks pretty crude also especially all that electric tape and the nasty looking cable routing nothing like you would see in an LG,Samsung or Sony . I have one of each of those here they are obsessively neat inside .

I'll stick to Sony and Samsung TV's after seeing that...... reminds me of a couple of Dynex I fixed ( bad capacitors ) not that old either .

I just bought a new Acer 27" 2560 x1440 PC monitor it has a higher pixel density than a 40- 50" 4K TV very detailed,good color and sharp text in Windows 10 , not a MAC retina but real good and a 300 Nit AUO panel .

Acer 2560P screen is good on the desktop here ,excellent for reading or casual editing . I have my 40" 2013 Sony TV adjacent to it for videos ,second screen or whatever from the PC in here also and the big Sammy Plasma out frt. for PS3 and Movies.

#56 · (Edited)
bruce banner said:
Corsair uses CapXon capacitors in their PSUs. These are respectable PSUs. Maybe they have listen and gotten their act together
Those are arguably much more reliable solid caps in the Corsair PSU they cost a lot more than the older style vented wet caps in the TV above maybe CapXcon is just re branding better solid capacitors or Corsair is paying a lot more for those , their PSU are decent :confused:.

#70 · (Edited)
Got mine today... These pictures are from a phone excuse the quality..

Looks good those Innolux VA panels should be decent long as the caps hold up it should be go to go it's likely they changed the caps to a new formulation on the wet lytics like every body else did a few yrs ago .

Probably will be fine picture is good . FWIW I read that Polaroid is being made now by a different longstanding well established very big PRC TV manufacturer just unknown to us because they do OEM/ODM and re brands and lots of domestic PRC product and they want to position Polaroid as a "more premium" brand than it was before so it should be cool ! .

Picture looks good who is the person in the pix ? RU pushing 2160p from your PC or up scaling 1080P ?

#69 · (Edited)
No bad ,how is the motion resolution? look like the highlight on the forehead are clipping?"blown-out highlights" can I see the link of the original picture.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.