LCD TV Size - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 20 Unread Yesterday, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 1
LCD TV Size

I'm in the market for LCD TV. I'm figuring out the right screen size for my living room. I don't wanna get something that is too small or too big. My sofa is only 10 feet away from the TV stand. Medium size living room like you likely see in an American home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Unread Yesterday, 03:05 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I would recommend something between 42-50inches, just my suggestion.
post #3 of 20 Unread Yesterday, 03:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 61
My TV went bad and I had a extended warranty which is buying me out. The TV I had was a 55 inch with active 3D.
I am looking at the Vizio 70p 70 inch. I like 3D and whish I could afford a TV 70 inch or larger. 3D needs to be large enough to include your peripheral vision, the bigger your TV is the better your 3D is with 4K.
I am giving up 3D for a larger screen. I have 8 feet between couch and TV, which if you believe all the charts is the borderline for a 70 inch 4K.
At 10 feet you could get away with a 1080p but I would go 4K, for the future.
In my den I have to walk by my TV, which is about 4 feet and that will make 4K worth it when I stop to watch something on TV, while going to the kitchen.
First impressions of a TV rule, when people step into my house they will be closer then the 8 feet.
I will say to you get the largest set you can afford, anything over 55 in go 4K and FALD.
Their are a lot of 80 inch 4K TV'S coming out, listing at 5999.00 and if you can afford it go for it.

Last edited by 6athome; Yesterday at 04:06 AM.
post #4 of 20 Unread Yesterday, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6athome View Post
My TV went bad and I had a extended warranty which is buying me out. The TV I had was a 55 inch with active 3D.
I am looking at the Vizio 70p 70 inch. I like 3D and whish I could afford a TV 70 inch or larger. 3D needs to be large enough to include your peripheral vision, the bigger your TV is the better your 3D is with 4K.
I am giving up 3D for a larger screen. I have 8 feet between couch and TV, which if you believe all the charts is the borderline for a 70 inch 4K.
At 10 feet you could get away with a 1080p but I would go 4K, for the future.
In my den I have to walk by my TV, which is about 4 feet and that will make 4K worth it when I stop to watch something on TV, while going to the kitchen.
First impressions of a TV rule, when people step into my house they will be closer then the 8 feet.
I will say to you get the largest set you can afford, anything over 55 in go 4K and FALD.
Their are a lot of 80 inch 4K TV'S coming out, listing at 5999.00 and if you can afford it go for it.
I'm thinking a 42" TV. Sony preferred. I watch bluray movies and sports mainly. 55" is above my budget.

But is 42" big enough to watch from 10 feet away?
post #5 of 20 Unread Yesterday, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 33
42" is tiny for 10 feet. I'll be about 9 feet away from my 4K and I plan to get a 84".
post #6 of 20 Unread Yesterday, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 321
8 - 10 feet, 50/60 inch TV. It dependends how much one can handle. Recommendations go bigger but for that you need a perfect TV tech and a perfect source (which does not exists).

THX
9 feet 90 inch
SMTE
9 feet 65/70 inch
C|NET
9 feet 70 inch
http://www.cnet.com/news/how-big-a-tv-should-i-buy/
post #7 of 20 Unread Yesterday, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 152
There are a number of conflicting recommendations for optimal viewing distance, which I speculate is because of different personal preferences (e.g., see where people take seats in a theater where there are lots of empty seats), the nature of the material being viewed, eyesight.

My best recommendation is to pace off the viewing distance at home, and then go to a brick-and-mortar retailer and pace off that distance from some potential screens to see how you like viewing from that distance, hopefully with something representative of what you would be watching on the screen.

Looking at "Optimum HDTV viewing distance" Wikipedia page (yes, Wikipedia doesn't have that good of a reputation here on AVSFORUM, but I am using it to show a sample of the breadth of recommendations), one comes up with a variety of recommendations for 10-ft viewing distance (ignoring resolution):

Diagonal MeasurementRecommending Party
48"viewing distance = 2.5 x diagonal (20 degree viewing angle)
75"viewing distance = 1.6 x diagonal (30 degree viewing angle) SMPTE
100"viewing distance = 1.2 x diagonal (40 degree viewing angle) THX
32"-52"RCA
65"Toshiba
42"-65"Best Buy
50"-70"Crutchfield

My main TV viewing distance is about 1.7 x diagonal size, and my bedroom TV viewing is about 2.2 x diagonal size (the larger distance/diagonal ratio or smaller viewing angle is an advantage for reducing the annoyance of compression artifacts on cable and for viewing shakycam like Blair Witch Project or Cloverfield, but a disadvantage when viewing fine detail or letterboxed content, and the smaller screen is good when tuning to one of Comcast's music channels to fall asleep to by reducing the amount of light in the room).

With the wide range of recommendations, you can see why I recommend going to a store and viewing a variety of sizes playing material typical of what you would be viewing at your home viewing distance.

Of course, screen size is but a single dimension and has to be tempered with other factors, like picture quality, budget, and what ports you need your TV to have.

I'll add just one additional note: with the exception of being too big to physically fit in its target location, I don't think I have ever heard anyone regret buying a TV that was too large.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player, Roku N1000 (original model), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (120Mbps/12Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Preferred Plus), DVD/VHS player.
post #8 of 20 Unread Yesterday, 08:17 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenchristoper View Post
I'm in the market for LCD TV. I'm figuring out the right screen size for my living room. I don't wanna get something that is too small or too big. My sofa is only 10 feet away from the TV stand. Medium size living room like you likely see in an American home......I'm thinking a 42" TV. Sony preferred. I watch bluray movies and sports mainly. 55" is above my budget. But is 42" big enough to watch from 10 feet away?
Compared to most AVSers, i prefer my screens to be on the smaller side and even for me a 42 incher is way too small for 10 feet. In my man-room i sit 8 feet from the screen. My present and previous TVs over the past two years are both 55" and to be honest they're a little too big for me in this room, but before that i had a 50" GT50 Plasma and it was just right at 8 feet. I just never got used to the 55" size even two years after i upgraded from my former 50 incher. Most people here however would go larger than what i like.

That said, you didn't say what your (presumably low) budget is, but just today Best Buy dropped the closeout prices of the 50" and 55" Sony W700B series another hundred bucks lower than they were yesterday (to $699 and $799 respectively) and this is a great TV even at the regular price, and even better with today's lower sale price. Before today they've been $100 higher ever since i bought my 55W800B just after christmas. My 55W800B has exceeded my expectations and i'm really enjoying it (even though i'm a hardcore Plasma guy). The W700B series is the same TV but just loses the 3D feature and has a silver bezel. Otherwise they're the exact same. Owners are generally very happy with this model and they've gotten good reviews everywhere.

The new Sony C series models are coming out soon and they will be hundreds of dollars higher when they hit store shelves. I think BB is blowing out the B models to make room for the new C models, so i'd jump on a new W700B today before the price goes back up.

__________________________________________________ ____________

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TiVo Series3 & Premiere, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #9 of 20 Unread Yesterday, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
My experience is that there is nothing too big for a living room, and the regret people have is buying too small. People with 60 want 70, 70 want 80, and 80 want projectors.
post #10 of 20 Unread Yesterday, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 24
You need to either up your budget or wait... 50" at minimum.
post #11 of 20 Unread Yesterday, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
I'm thinking a 42" TV. Sony preferred. I watch bluray movies and sports mainly. 55" is above my budget.

But is 42" big enough to watch from 10 feet away?
This is the best chart I have found on TV distance,it does 1080p and 4K.
http://www.rtings.com/info/televisio...e-relationship
Personally I would go with the biggest TV that I could afford,60 and above,4K it.
Wait and prices will drop in relationship to size.
post #12 of 20 Unread Yesterday, 01:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have a 73 Mits DLP and I sit about 12 feet from it. Within a month or so (or maybe tomorrow...) I am going to order the big Sharp 90 incher.

Go big, or go home....

Seggers

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, PC DX12 sub, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and a Sony BDPS6200. There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #13 of 20 Unread Today, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seggers View Post
I have a 73 Mits DLP and I sit about 12 feet from it. Within a month or so (or maybe tomorrow...) I am going to order the big Sharp 90 incher.

Go big, or go home....

Seggers
This question may sound weird. But I need a TV that is about 50 cm wide (the length of the sides, bottom to top, not the diagonal measurement). I used centimeter as a measurement because it's more accurate than inches. What tv size would that be?
post #14 of 20 Unread Today, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 54
50 cm is ~20 in! That's a small tv for sure. My living rm is 14'x18' & I sit about 9' from the center of the tv & recently got a 60" Sony. Works for me. Had to save for 3 months to afford it but it was worth it!

http://www.asknumbers.com/InchesToCe...onversion.aspx

"To the journey..."
Sony KDL60W630B; Onkyo TX-NR818
Polk RTi A7 Mains; Polk RTi CSi A6 Center; Polk RTi A5 Wides & Surrounds
HSU VTF2-Mk4
Teac PD-H600; Marantz BD7004; Dual 1218
post #15 of 20 Unread Today, 07:16 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
This question may sound weird. But I need a TV that is about 50 cm wide (the length of the sides, bottom to top, not the diagonal measurement). I used centimeter as a measurement because it's more accurate than inches. What tv size would that be?
Well 19.685143827135469 inches would have been just as accurate as 50 centimeters so you could've just used inches, since 98% of us here would understand that more than centimeters

You'll need to look at 19" or 20" diagonal TVs. The 22" and larger screen size are too wide for you. I have a Best Buy Insignia 19" on a desk and it's a little over 17" wide.

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TiVo Series3 & Premiere, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC R40 Remote.
post #16 of 20 Unread Today, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
Well 19.685143827135469 inches would have been just as accurate as 50 centimeters so you could've just used inches, since 98% of us here would understand that more than centimeters

You'll need to look at 19" or 20" diagonal TVs. The 22" and larger screen size are too wide for you. I have a Best Buy Insignia 19" on a desk and it's a little over 17" wide.

No I don't think you read my question carefully. The 50 cm is the HEIGHT of the sides .... not the diagonal length. My question if the height is 50cm, what TV screen size is that?

I don't think I'm buying a 20" TV. My computer monitor is 22"
post #17 of 20 Unread Today, 07:59 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
19.68.....is hard to measure using a tape measure. Centimeter is more accurate Or I could just use mm for precision.

No I don't think you read my question carefully. The 50 cm is the HEIGHT of the sides .... not the diagonal length. My question if the height is 50cm, what TV screen size is that?
It's not that i didn't read it carefully, you said that need a TV that is about 50 cm WIDE which is measured left to right. The rest of it then looked like you wanted to top to be the same width as the bottom but still didn't look right. You should have said you need a TV that is 50 cm TALL or HIGH.

Quote:
I don't think I'm buying a 20" TV. My computer monitor is 22"
Ok so if you need a TV for a space that's less than 19.6 inches high, you'll need to look at the various 32" diagonal TVs. The height of a typical 32" LCD TV is around 18" tall without the stand, but if you're leaving it on the table stand then you'll need to look more carefully at each TV's specs as some of them are under 19.6 inches tall on the stand, while others are over 19.7 inches tall on the stand. The good thing with the 32" size is that a lot of them are 1080p

Randy
post #18 of 20 Unread Today, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
It's not that i didn't read it carefully, you said that need a TV that is about 50 cm WIDE which is measured left to right. The rest of it then looked like you wanted to top to be the same width as the bottom but still didn't look right. You should have said you need a TV that is 50 cm TALL or HIGH.

Ok so if you need a TV for a space that's less than 19.6 inches high, you'll need to look at the various 32" diagonal TVs. The height of a typical 32" LCD TV is around 18" tall without the stand, but if you're leaving it on the table stand then you'll need to look more carefully at each TV's specs as some of them are under 19.6 inches tall on the stand, while others are over 19.7 inches tall on the stand. The good thing with the 32" size is that a lot of them are 1080p

I interpret LENGTH as left to right dimension and WIDTH as top to bottom dimension. Also the 50cm is the measurement of the screen and not the whole TV including the stand...LOL.

Last edited by darrenchristoper; Today at 08:10 AM.
post #19 of 20 Unread Today, 09:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
So Darren, I have no idea. However, why don't you take a tape measure to BB and try some? Then you can get an idea as to whether you can find one, what diagonal it is (the usual measurement of a TV) and whether that size would work in your room.

And if you're stuck with small size because of what it will live on, it's time to chuck that and buy a monster. Go big, or go home....

Seggers

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, PC DX12 sub, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and a Sony BDPS6200. There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #20 of 20 Unread Today, 09:50 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
I already said top to bottom, not left to right..... I have a 32" TV in my bedroom. It's not 50cm WIDE for sure!!

I interpret LENGTH as left to right dimension and WIDTH as top to bottom dimension. Also the 50cm is the measurement of the screen and not the whole TV including the stand...LOL.

Nowhere on this planet is a top-to-bottom measurement considered to be WIDTH so i don't see how you could possibly interpret it that way.

Notice how the signs on a freeway underpass say Maximum Height 14' 6" with arrows pointing UP and DOWN ? That's not Width.

Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays