Poll: first time success for most recent LED-LCD large screen purchase - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

View Poll Results: Where did you buy your TV? How many tries did it take?
Bought from local seller, kept first one 8 66.67%
Bought from local seller, kept second one 0 0%
Bought from local seller, on third or more/gave up at three or more 2 16.67%
Bought from distant/online seller, kept first one 2 16.67%
Bought from distant/online seller, kept second one 0 0%
Bought from distant/online seller, on third or more/gave up at three or more 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-15-2015, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Arrow Poll: first time success for most recent LED-LCD large screen purchase

It seems like there are a lot of threads across all brands with people having problems, usually panel/backlight related, with the first large screen LED-LCD TV they received and then replacing them one or more times with same or different model to get a TV they find acceptable.

Maybe we can find out how prevalent that really is or is it just a vocal few?

I propose "large screen" arbitrarily as 50" and above.

To test if this skews towards how the set was handled in transit, I've added "Bought from local seller" and "Bought from distant/online seller". Where "local" ends and "distant" begins might be arbitrary; The distinction I would draw is whether the unit was transported by itself to your location by a regular freight/parcel carrier with other, non-consumer electronics, items. E.g., in the BestBuy truck is local, in the UPS truck is distant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-15-2015, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I don't see where that matters, they are shipped from overseas, trucked all over then delivered either to stores or warehouses. It only gets handled less if i pick it up but it's still getting transported.

With that said I just picked up a 75" from BB warehouse and will probably keep it.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-15-2015, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

My suspicion is that a pallet of TVs arranged at the factory or a container of TVs bundled in pallets is less susceptible to mishandling than a single TV. My other suspicion is that, say, the BestBuy truck folks are more sensitive to/appreciative of the value and handling particulars of a large screen LCD than the folks at UPS/FedEx to whom it's just another carton. And an oddly annoying form factor one at that and one that wants to be kept upright. I don't know if this is true. Wonder.
post #4 of 8 Old 03-15-2015, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Worthless Poll.............

Current Sets:
Sony XBR65X900B Samsung UN65JS9000 LG 55EC9300
PN64F8500 Plasma SOLD ;(
post #5 of 8 Old 03-15-2015, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I somewhat agree. I voted "Bought from local seller, kept first one," but that hides the fact that my new Sony has a minor uniformity problem that I've decided is within acceptable limits, as well as an attempt to purchase a Panasonic plasma two years ago where I gave up after two tries due to vertical banding.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-15-2015, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper32 View Post
Worthless Poll.............
You wouldn't care to elaborate? I certainly agree that the results are not scientifically representative. I don't know how to get that data.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-15-2015, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick W View Post
You wouldn't care to elaborate? I certainly agree that the results are not scientifically representative. I don't know how to get that data.
Sure for one how the set is handled will not be any different who you buy from. They are all shipped and transported to warehouses then to the store / seller in most cases.

The handling is not the main issue it is way before that which causes the issues. To late tonight for me to get into all this but this poll is worthless.

Current Sets:
Sony XBR65X900B Samsung UN65JS9000 LG 55EC9300
PN64F8500 Plasma SOLD ;(
post #8 of 8 Old 03-15-2015, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

I suspect you are correct that most of the problems that are backlight-related are design and production problems not induced in transit.

What would *you* think was a worthy 10-question AVSForum poll to attempt to understand how many buyers are going through more than one set and why? Do you know of publicly available data that addresses these questions? Since the cost of all this product churn is built into the prices we all pay it certainly seems like a relevant question.

And, confession, my concern is also pragmatic: where I live it's expensive and complicated to get most models. I'm only aware of one model of flat screen UHD in the 60-65" range stocked on the island, a 60" Vizio P series at Costco. (They also have one curved Samsung 4K in this size range.) Most suppliers that advertise "free shipping" won't ship 65" TVs to my location at any price. The last 100 miles across the ocean from the nearest Best Buy are on my dime, both ways if there's a problem. That certainly raises the stakes of Panel Lotto. Thus I'm concerned what the odds of the game really are and get nervous when I read of people on their second and third and beyond attempt to get product acceptable to them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page