***Official LG UF9500 Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-15-2015, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 2
***Official LG UF9500 Thread

Going through the forums I didn't see a thread made for the Lg uf9500. Will post picks and reviews when I get this thing home in a little while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2015, 02:59 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Show me the photos!!!

I just purchased this TV but will be waiting weeks for it to be delivered (overseas military). I'm overly excited to cast my eyes on this baby. I'm upgrading from a Sony 70R520A, I expect it to be a HUGE visual quality upgrade. The black banding drove me nuts on it. My one concern is if should I have waited another year for OLED to be more affordable... Please post all the reviews you can once it's convenient.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am interested in this series too but will wait for the price to come down a little. The only review I could find was not favorable for PQ -> http://televisions.reviewed.com/cont...ed-tv-review-2

Hopefully 79" model will not have this issue or a FW update will fix it.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Purchased this flagship LG on 5/9/15 despite that weak review that is referenced above. I'm no A/V or calibration pro, I just know that my wife and I both agree that the picture we saw in the showroom (Frys) beat the Sony C class comparison (former Sony fanboy).

The DTV HD feed through our Genie is glorious at times. Can't wait for the DTV 4K satellite feeds later on down the road.

The NHL playoffs thus far have been highly enjoyable. The TV in Sports mode with a few tweaks (of many options that I have no idea what to do with) is stay at home, go no where else to watch anything awesome.

I've watched a 3D Netflix Snowboarding movie that was the best thing I've ever seen at home. My 11 year old daughter stated it was way better than the 3D we've seen at the movies. An unbiased opinion btw straight from the mouth of a babe.

I wish I was more technical for the masses here but if you are looking to upgrade to 4k before it goes mainstream AND you're not an anal TV snob that is just looking for an awesome new level TV experience, after a couple of weeks, I can give this TV an early positive referral. There are so many picture adjustments available in this thing, I'm sure if you had it professionally calibrated, you would be more than satisfied, as you should be with an investment that you'll hope to spend at least 10 years with.

I'll check back in with an update and Blu-ray feedback in a bit.

TV Set: LG 65" UF9500, an LG 47LM6700 and a Vizio 320i
STB: DTV HD Whole Home Genie
Game Consoles: PS2 and two PS3's

Last edited by mgonzo2u; 05-23-2015 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 4
there is a problem with the Review, not serious
No 3D Review Is good or bad?

LG always comes out worse in LED
who buy LED lg ? only People who want cheap and do not care on quality
Old 05-23-2015, 10:18 PM

Liked: 11
Not quite sure how to properly reply to that post since I don't seem to speak whatever language it is that you were attempting to convey in written words there. Sorry about your poor communication skills.

Last edited by mgonzo2u; 05-24-2015 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
How do you like your 9500? I was considering getting the 79" one but have not seen it in person.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:33 AM

Anyone out there have the 79" model of this tv. I am really interested in it. If you do can you chime in and let me know what your impressions are on it? Thanks!
Old 06-13-2015, 09:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 1001
Old 06-14-2015, 09:14 AM

Thanks for the info!!
Old 06-14-2015, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 10
One of the issues is that none of the big box stores have consistent demos and then you get reviews that sound like their paid by Sony or Samsung. I have the UF9500 ordered and scheduled for a early July install. I am not impressed by the new Sony 850C. Picture looked flat and construction seemed flimsy.

We need more UF9500 actual reports.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoofpilot View Post
One of the issues is that none of the big box stores have consistent demos and then you get reviews that sound like their paid by Sony or Samsung. I have the UF9500 ordered and scheduled for a early July install. I am not impressed by the new Sony 850C. Picture looked flat and construction seemed flimsy.

We need more UF9500 actual reports.
I had one and returned it. The backlight bleed and overall poor contrast and black level were a deal breaker. In a bright room, it looked great. However, nighttime viewing was horrible. It didn't matter what I did to the picture settings, I just couldn't get rid of the blooming and poor black level. If you like your bars black, forget it. You will get light grey with some light blotches. Like I said, if you're watching it in the daytime, all is good. Turn off the lights, and you'll cry yourself to sleep that plasma is dead.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:50 PM

It is a concern of mine coming from a Pioneer Elite. I really like the Sony 950B yet not at $5999.00. I will try it for a couple of weeks. Then maybe the Sony 900C or the new Panasonic will be in stores.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:51 AM

I am in the market for a Passive 3d 4k tv and I believe LG is the only one for 2015. I was hoping this tv was nice. I have the JS9500 and I can assume there is no comparison but I am not a fan of Active 3d.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:32 PM

I did read a good review from the UK. In addition, I never sit in a dark room to watch TV. I'll give the UF9500 a chance. BB had 85 reviews on the UF8500. If the 9500 is as good as 95% of the BB reviews I will be happy. I real,y wanted the LG OLED but not at that price.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
I did read a good review from the UK. In addition, I never sit in a dark room to watch TV. I'll give the UF9500 a chance. BB had 85 reviews on the UF8500. If the 9500 is as good as 95% of the BB reviews I will be happy. I real,y wanted the LG OLED but not at that price.
I read that review too. Like I said, it's not a bad TV by any means; and if you're watching it in a lit environment, then you'll be very pleased. The WEB OS is awesome and the amount of tweaking with the video options is extensive. I think I've just been spoiled by my Plasmas all these years, so it was difficult to deal with. It is a very elegant TV and it is really thin, and I mean thin. I felt like I was going to break it picking it up. I'm sure you'll enjoy it!
Old 06-15-2015, 05:55 PM

I agree with you. I still see nothing that compares to my Pioneer Elite plasma. Unfortunately I am moving in to a new house with a bigger wall so welcome a 65. The Pioneer is going in to the master bedroom.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I agree with you. I still see nothing that compares to my Pioneer Elite plasma. Unfortunately I am moving in to a new house with a bigger wall so welcome a 65. The Pioneer is going in to the master bedroom.
Absolutely! The difference between the 55' and 65' was too impressive, lol. I have no choice but to get another LED, since I moved my plasma upstairs and the kids have the PS4 hooked up to it. So, I'm just waiting a little bit and contemplating what to do next. I really wish OLED wasn't so expensive, but I have to fill the huge void in my living room soon.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:54 AM

LG is really the only passive 3D game in town these days. I just bought the 65UF9500 and overall I have been pleased with the TV. I am not a high tech TV guy but know a thing or two about them. Most will tell you they are a step below Sony and Samsung but I disagree with this TV.

I am also interested in the LG 79UF9500 but they are just hitting the market now and I do not like buying TVs when they first come out as you can get caught with a bad product from time to time. I like to wait to make sure I'm not buying a lemon. Honestly, 79" may be too big for my situation as I will be sitting 11 feet from this TV and 79" may just be too big although I've learned over the years to go big on TVs, never small as you always regret it every time you turn them on. But 11 feet is still an acceptable viewing distance for a 4K TV. I may go with the Sony 75" instead but it would mean going with passive 3D and as most know, 3D did not turn out to be as big as everyone in the industry thought and how often do you really sit down and watch a 3D movie these days.

Just my two cents.....
Old 07-17-2015, 04:06 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 29
79 incher

This TV is on my radar and I only sit about 8 feet away from my current 70 inch Sony 4K TV. Passive 3D is big for me and my seating situation lends to having a TV with an IPS panel for a wider viewing angle. I pretty much need an LG.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:09 AM

Yes I am patiently waiting for this tv. I was tempted to buy a 84ub9800 but I figure the uf9500 will be a better tv.

65JS9500
Old 07-17-2015, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The thing about most LG sets (with one obvious exception being the OLEDs) is that the IPS panels are basically inherently worse in terms of native contrast (some LG sets are VA-type panels, but most are IPS). In return, you get better side-angle performance.

Other's mileage may vary, but with my UB-series LG set, I have been most happy with setting the black level to be low, and then having local dimming set to high. (other options like dynamic contrast, energy savings, etc. all turned off). At minimum, if you want somewhat decent black levels, set the black level to low, and then play around with the local dimming settings. You can also get some benefit from setting the backlight level down a bit, even though this is will also limit how bright you can go. But, all else being equal, a somewhat dimmer backlight will result in darker blacks as well, in the zones where the local-dimming isn't operating....

My other general observation, from having two LG sets, is that you should use the Picture Wizard to get a starting point for the picture settings, but even then you will benefit from tweaks to the white-balance settings. Even by eye you can make useful improvements, using the 2-point method/process. But in the end, it might still be worthwhile to get a full calibration. These sets are very tweakable, even without access to hidden service menus.

(As an aside, with all of the time, money, and effort that people put into tweaking their picture settings, and getting calibrations done, you'd think some of the major manufacturers would offer a factory calibration. At their scale of operation, they could automate the calibration process, and for a fairly modest extra fee, sell versions of each model that came with pre-loaded calibration settings. I realize that they like to show overly pumped-up pictures in stores, but lots of buyers would appreciate having a calibrated mode. It could be done in such a way that some global parameters could still be varied by the user, without greatly impacting the calibrated white-balance and color settings....)
Old 07-19-2015, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by firestorm007 View Post
I had one and returned it. The backlight bleed and overall poor contrast and black level were a deal breaker. In a bright room, it looked great. However, nighttime viewing was horrible. It didn't matter what I did to the picture settings, I just couldn't get rid of the blooming and poor black level. If you like your bars black, forget it. You will get light grey with some light blotches. Like I said, if you're watching it in the daytime, all is good. Turn off the lights, and you'll cry yourself to sleep that plasma is dead.

Did you take pictures of the screen before returning it? I'm really interested in what screen uniformity for this UF9500 look like. Thanks.
Old Today, 11:26 AM

Thumbs down LG 65UF9500 3D - Extremely Disappointed

Everthing I read about this TV, and about LG, was that they had the best 3D. Not so. I am shocked by all the "ghosting" and "blurriness" (maybe it's called cross talking?). First I had the Sony XBR65X850B which had better passive 3D than this TV, second I had the Sony XBR65X850C which had decent active 3D but no 2D to 3D. There were multiple things about those 2 TVs I didn't like, and I thought the LG UF9500 was the solution, but I am shocked, disappointed, and frustrated by the 3D. Hugo consistently had ghosting and blurry parts of the scene - I'm not sure of the technical terms. Today, I'm going to BestBuy to see if I can exchange for the Samsung UN65JS8500 - I'll accept the active 3D if it's better than this LG, and it does have 2D to 3D. Not sure if BestBuy will let me exchange a 4th time though.