AVS Forum banner

Samsung 2015 J6300

53K views 330 replies 91 participants last post by  lmartinijr1 
#1 ·
I'm looking to get a new TV for the living room. I'm moving my Panasonic ST60 to the bedroom. The J6300 seems to be Samsung's best non-4k TV for 2015. The specs aren't impressive or anything but will the picture quality be decent enough? I'll use it for TV, streaming Netflix and Hulu, and gaming. I'll save the Blu-rays for the ST60.

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN55J6300AFXZA

#3 ·
Is it really? I thought it was a 120hz native screen. But it's a 60hz screen with the 120 dimming software or whatever it is that they do? If so that's lame. It kind of sucks that I'm getting forced in to 4k if that is the case because 4k isn't really mainstream enough yet in my opinion. I mean Netflix streams in compressed 720. Why have a 4k? Plus I'll get more lag for gaming.

#10 ·
At the bottom of the page http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN55J6300AFXZA it talks about Playstation Now!

"PlayStation™ Now game streaming service app will be available soon on this TV, with hundreds of great PlayStation™ 3 games! Additional purchase, DualShock™ 4 controller, and registration required. Service not available in all areas. Stay tuned for future announcements or visit PlayStation.com/PlayStationNow for more information."

#16 ·
I'm looking to upgrade our kitchen TV this week. Cant go bigger than 32". Was looking at the UN32H6350 and found one for $502.

Is the UN32J6300 available or worth waiting for over the UN32H6350?

Let me know what you think.
Try the J5500 at best buy or futureshop if you can grab one. I have it as my primary gaming set and love it. It only being 60hz doesn't affect me at all. Everything I have thrown at it is buttery smooth. I was thinking of paying the difference and grabbing the J6300 in a 40".

#19 ·
quick check on the specs and it seems this is a downgrade from the h8000. the feature that stood out to me although I'm not sure how useful it is was that the j6300 only has micro dimming "pro" while the h8000 has "ultimate". this may be just marketing speak but how can a high end tv this year lose a feature that was on the high end model from last year?

almost kicked myself for buying a h8000 earlier in the year when i saw that samsung is offering the j6300 at only 1099!! i paid almost 2 grand for the h8000 although maybe the feature loss explains the price drop? anyone that had a h8000 compared the picture quality to see if its still up to par? i love my h8000 not looking to upgrade just curious to see the difference and how can samsung almost halve the price on a top of the line tv.

#20 · (Edited)
It's not a high end tv, it's a 6000 series tv. 7/8000 series have been completely replaced with 4K models/panels ...
But contrary to info up above about it being a 60Hz: it's still a 120hz at least ... H6800 is probably a better set as well but I see it didn't make it stateside (the euro J6300 is curved as was the H6800).

#23 ·
After doing what I thought was a pretty fair amount of research into what's happening with TV's these days - I recommended that my Dad get the Sony W850C 75" set to replace his old tv. Now, I'm seeing that the new W850C isn't as hot as the 2014 W850B 70" for sports, etc. with more motion blur. Can somebody sell me on the 75" Samsung being the hot ticket for sports?

I talked to multiple Best Buy guys and there seemed to be a consensus that the Sony sets were the best sports televisions. I'm seeing the review over at http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/sony/w850c not being so kind to the 2015 Sonys for sports.

The tv is on order and hasn't been delivered yet. He can probably cancel that delivery in favor of the Samsung for the same price.

#28 ·
Don't replace a plasma with any LCD, unless you're going 4K, and even then, think long and hard about it.

Without 4K, you don't get one of the only IQ benefits that LCD has ever had over plasma : HDR and WCG.

Any 1080p LCD will be a terrible downgrade in every way from any plasma, basically. Don't do it.

#30 ·
Anyone have this TV hooked to a Time Warner DVR? I have the SA 8300HDC, and when I turn on the cable box and TV, the TV thinks it is getting 480i when the box is sending 720 or 1080i. Takes several power cycles before the TV and cable box sync up.

The other issue is when I switch to a SD channel from an HD channel. The screen goes blank and the audio is cut off. Switching back to an HD channel restores the picture and audio. Again, I can keep trying and eventually the SD channel works. Gets to be very frustrating.

I worked with Time Warner Cable tonight for over an hour and have determined it is the TV. The cable box sends the correct resolutions depending on the channel correctly.

I am at the latest Firmware update: 1216

#34 ·
Anyone find any site with calibration settings for the UNxxJ6300 models?
CNET has a review and calibration settings for the previous 2014 equivalent model (UNxxH6350) but none for the 2015 model.
I'm currently using the H6350 CNET settings for custom colorspace and it is an improvement over the Auto and default settings.

#36 ·
OK looks like RTINGS.COM added colorspace calibrations settings now too for the J6300.
I am using their calibrated settings for colorspace and my own 2point white balance and basic settings came out very close to what they had. Works better for my UN40J6300 model than using AUTO colorspace. I do prefer Warm1 rather than Warm2.

#40 ·
I also got a UN40J6300 (Best Buy only) model a few weeks ago for a secondary TV.
I found an open box special at one Best Buy store and got them to discount it further even beyond the then $100 off sale price plus the open box discount so it ended up way less than a new 32" J6300 model would cost.
Has been working fine with all accessories.

#44 ·
J6300 Really 120Hz?

Rtings.com says the following:
This is really a 120hz TV, as you can see from our motion interpolation test. This is surprising, because it is the first time since a long time that Samsung's refresh rate number is real. In 2015, Motion Rate equals the refresh rate for 1080p TVs. For 4k TVs, that number is doubled.

I'd buy one if I knew for sure that its 120hz! Anyone have any other thoughts on this?

#45 ·
Rtings.com says the following:
This is really a 120hz TV, as you can see from our motion interpolation test. This is surprising, because it is the first time since a long time that Samsung's refresh rate number is real. In 2015, Motion Rate equals the refresh rate for 1080p TVs. For 4k TVs, that number is doubled.

I'd buy one if I knew for sure that its 120hz! Anyone have any other thoughts on this?
Are you sure it's not 60hz? I read the low end Samsungs are only 30hz panels this year including some of the 4K models which is why for a 1080p display you have to get the 6300 series for decent motion performance.

#49 ·
I'm really liking this tv. I bought it just to tied me over till 4K is really out there. I kept reading this forum and just caved and bought a 4K tv. I moved this up in my bedroom and now I'm thinking about just taking back the 4K tv and waiting till later. I really like this tv and I am happy with it for now. I now need to just keep my card in my wallet so I'm not buying things I don't need right now.

#52 ·
I've found that feeding the display RGB444 and setting HDMI Black to "low", yields better black levels than YCbCr444 with HDMI Black set to "auto".

#53 ·
Just picked up the 60 in J6300 at fry's for $797 yesterday for my bedroom and really like it so far. Applied the rtings.com settings. Some questions, anyone know what the difference is between the hdmi inputs? The quick start instructions have hdmi 1 labeled for cable set top boxes and hdmi 4 as for bluray/dvd players. Are there some limitations to the other hdmi inputs or can I disregard the labels?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.