AVS Forum banner

Samsung JS9500 owners thread

1M views 13K replies 732 participants last post by  RagtopFE 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
***OFFICIAL** 2015 Samsung 4K SUHD JS9500 Series TV Thread

This thread is for owners of Samsung's new SUHD TV's. I got mine on March 12th and people from another thread wanted a dedicated thread.
I have the UN65JS9500 model and so far it looks amazing.
However I'm still working out some bugs, any help would be appreciated.
One issue is getting chroma 444 to work on a PC. I'm using 980 GTX's. The FOX chroma test is giving me unclear text when viewed in paint full screen. Has anyone gotten this to work yet?

65JS9500 Owner
Questions about the JS9500? Information Summary can be found HERE or for those using 100 posts per page, HERE.100

#1,398 ·
A BB/Magnolia Design Center in Oakbrook, Illinois has one on display. I was surprised to see it. I was hoping it would debut with a much lower price than we've been seeing. I was also surprised that it wasn't displaying a Samsung 4k loop. Instead they were playing a blu ray disc but whatever settings the set had made the picture look blase. Another surprise was that the Magnolia person I talked to had real audio/video knowledge and it was pleasant talking to him.

#1,396 ·
I have a quick question for JS9500 owners. I got mine in Sunday in Amsterdam and while I'm very satisfied until now, the package didn't include 3D glasses. When I asked why, they told me that Samsung doesn't pay attention in 3D technology any more! Are 3D glasses included to other owners' packages?

I find it extremely disappointing, for such an expensive TV, Samsung to decide not to include glasses, while the TV is supporting 3D viewing...

#1,401 ·
In the U.S, the JS9500 came with 1 pair of 3D glasses. The model name for the 3D glasses is SSG-5150GB. I suggest you go to the Samsung site. It will be different for your country, and you click on the tab for specifications, and then the link for "Full Specs". At the bottom of the Specs will be a category called "Accessories." With the exception of the Vesa Wall mount, all those items came in the box.

If you see 1 pair of 3D glasses there, I'd complain to both the store you bought it from and to Samsung. Why are the glasses included in the U.S but not in Amsterdam.

As for the 3D, the quality is very good. However, 3D is a bit hard on the eyes and I find I can't watch it for more than an hour. I wear glasses, and the 3D glasses, though very light and sleek, add to the weight of the glasses on the bridge of my nose. This may be the real reason 1 hour at a time is my limit.

#1,409 ·
Beginning to hear pricing discounts of $2,000 - $3,000 from some retailers at launch. Is this normal? That would put the set at between $12,000 and $13,000.

[not posting dealers as against forum rules - buy you know who they are :)]

#1,410 ·
Beginning to hear? That has been the rumor for awhile now. The funny thing is they are still way overpriced even at those MSRPs. You have the Sony 75" WCG/HDR/FALD with less zones and Hisense 78" with more, MSRP at $8K with street pricing to be even less. Even the Panny 65" is rumored to be coming in $3-3.5. I believe all of these units are using Chinese made panels and we are beginning to see the pricing pressure they are going to bring to Korean manufactures. IMO the 78JS9500 needed to MSRP at $10K and street about $9K to start.

#1,412 ·
question on HDCP 2.2

I understand that the JS9500 implements hdcp2.2 thru a single hdmi port. So that can serve to handle a UHD bluray with hdcp. However cable boxes will be available this year and I would think we would need another hdcp enabled hdmi port for that also or do I misunderstand something here

#1,413 ·
I understand that the JS9500 implements hdcp2.2 thru a single hdmi port. So that can serve to handle a UHD bluray with hdcp. However cable boxes will be available this year and I would think we would need another hdcp enabled hdmi port for that also or do I misunderstand something here
Yes, I think that we would in that case need an HDCP 2.2 compliant avr to run things through. Are we sure that there is only one HDCP 2.2 port on the ocb? Can an owner confirm if they have tried any other ports?

#1,418 ·
I believe that's correct for 2014 models.

2015 JS9500 OCB - All are compliant per Crutchfield Specifications:

"One Connect Box Features:

5 A/V inputs, including:
4 HDMI 2.0 (all inputs are HDCP 2.2 compatible for connecting to 4K video sources)"

#1,419 ·
Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anyone else sees a hyper-flicker when LED Clear Motion is turned on? It is my understanding that this feature is what enables or applies the HDR effect to non HDR content. 65JS9500 BTW

The hyper-flicker I'm describing: its like I can see the scan-lines almost of whatever I am watching when LED CLear Motion is turned on. Or as if the entire panel of LEDs is flickering super fast. After a while you can adjust to it, but when going from regular TrueMotion with LED Clear Motion off, to LED Clear Motion on, its kind of annoying.

I decided to try the forum to make sure it wasn't just my set doing this. Thanks for any replies and insight.

#1,420 ·
I haven't tried "Clear" on the Samsung, but I hated it on the Sony. The idea, as I understand it, is to show a blank black frame between each regular frame of the movie. This is supposed to reset your eye's retina so that motion appears to be more fluid. It didn't work for me.

#1,429 ·
I spent a good hour and a half in Best Buy Magnolia today watching the 65JS9500. It looks amazing but it does have significant motion issues. I was watching The Avengers on blu-ray and there was one spot that completely stutters for about 5 seconds...and it does it over and over. I went back several times. Now maybe that is some disc issue but more importantly, I notice that you can see motion artifacts in the transitions between cuts. You can see the picture break up. It's weird. I would also see weird anomalies in scenes where the camera is panning following someone walking. It's like a form of ghosting or something. I came home and just threw The Avengers in at home and checked those same scenes on my Sony HX929 and there are no issues whatsoever. Any owners notice the artifacts? It's not that hard to notice. It's a shame because the pq really is amazing.

#1,432 · (Edited)
I spent a good hour and a half in Best Buy Magnolia today watching the 65JS9500. It looks amazing but it does have significant motion issues.
You know that what you report with an in-store audition is not all that unusual that likely may not replicate in your Home. I can go back to the beginnings and LCD TV's and witnessed Motion and other artifacts randomly across virtually all manufacturers and dating back to even RPTV's and especially during camera pans.

Yet, I've NEVER had those events Observed in a HT Showroom replicate in my Home, on my current Samsung's(3), previous Sony's (3), Sharp's (3), Panasonic(1) LCD's. The only time I had issues was when NFL SNF transitioned to HD they were compressing the signal to such an extent that blocking would occur that made it unwatchable for the first few seasons they transitioned via my Comcast while all other HD Sports were crystal clear. Now, I'm distinguishing showroom artifacts vs. LCD natural challenges with motion, that is a given but for me has been a minor hiccup over the years with things like downhill skiing at the Olympics.

I say to you that if these artifacts on display were inherently factual you'd have consumers in droves returning them to BB and others for a refund. Next time grab the Mag Store HT Systems person demo and explain the artifacts and cause since were they occurring in homes they'd be eating losses on returns and the Pro Reviews I've read on this TV do not support what you observed.:)

http://4k.com/tv/a-review-of-the-samsung-suhd-js9500-curved-4k-ultra-hd-led-lcd-smart-tv-65-class/

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/ue65js9500-201502234012.htm

#1,438 · (Edited)
Can you describe the light bleed? Are we talking about blooming around logos or something coming from the egde of the display? Given that it is not edge lit it would be very weird if it were coming from the edge/corners of the display.

If it is around the logos etc. this is fairly common on FALD displays and will be more obvious the more off angle you are viewing from.

#1,433 ·
I've read all the reviews but how do you explain that? They hooked up a blu-ray player directly to the TV. I've noticed it before when checking the TV out but figured it was compression from the source since that's what the artifacts look like. Seeing as how they hooked up a blu-ray player directly to it, I don't see how that's anything but an issue with the way the TV handles motion. As far as the reviews go, I've seen reviewers completely ignore Samsungs sets studdering for years so it wouldn't really surprise me if something like this got past them. I would love for their to be some other explanation but I don't think there is. I can point out a couple of spots in The Avengers with times if anyone wants to check it out at home.

#1,434 · (Edited)
The motion is perfect on these tv's .I have no Idea what ur talking about. Perhaps it the tv's default settings that suck or its the hdmi cable or loop that has issues. I have seen a few 9500 and some 8500 and none have that issue u describe. The owners of this set all praise the motion and say way better than last year. All reviews praise this set too so I will take the word of owners,reviewers and my own personal experience with this set and say it is smoother with less artifacts than ever b4. I have a hu8700 and my motion is smooth as silk. You do know that u can adjust blur and judder independently of each other so if there really was an issue it could be dialed in . You are the only person to make this comment on the JS series . Also if you saw this @ BB they do not use a Bluray player they use a sat that feeds it 4k loops and it has multiple feeds to all sets. sorry saw that u said you saw it in magnolia. Bottomline all who have this in home and reviewrs do not mention this so I say this is a Non existent issue .. just read ur post again . The issues you describe could be from dirty Bluray disk(finger print) bad HDMI or just a crappy bluray player. Was amp enabled?was judder turned on and if so what level?This set has absolutely zero issues with motion and like I said b4 much less artifacts than previous years..

#1,443 ·
I'm trying to narrow down my choice, I have a few questions. What are the advantages of the ocb and would it really make a difference? I was watching gravity on a demo unit at bby, in certain scenes there is a lot of spinning and movement. I noticed some bending near the corners of the screen. Is this common or just the viewing angle?

#1,458 ·
It is 2 meters long. All of the 2015 models have the same cable at 2 meters.

#1,454 ·
Hello,

I don't have the greatest camera set for pictures but new owner of a 78 JS9500 as of this morning. Happy to look into any questions people may have.

Mostly used for movies and gaming (haven't tried gaming yet). Coming from a 65' Panasonic P65V10 which was great so we'll see how this goes. So far so good, picture is amazing, delivery was painless (Amazon) and now for the setup fun!