AVS Forum banner

Samsung JS9500 owners thread

1M views 13K replies 732 participants last post by  RagtopFE 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
***OFFICIAL** 2015 Samsung 4K SUHD JS9500 Series TV Thread

This thread is for owners of Samsung's new SUHD TV's. I got mine on March 12th and people from another thread wanted a dedicated thread.
I have the UN65JS9500 model and so far it looks amazing.
However I'm still working out some bugs, any help would be appreciated.
One issue is getting chroma 444 to work on a PC. I'm using 980 GTX's. The FOX chroma test is giving me unclear text when viewed in paint full screen. Has anyone gotten this to work yet?

65JS9500 Owner
Questions about the JS9500? Information Summary can be found HERE or for those using 100 posts per page, HERE.100

#2 ·
Reactions: EmmaDarknet
#7 ·
Pics or it didn't happen :D

Reactions: tazz3
This post has been deleted
#16 ·
Hey everybody. I bought this television a few days ago because I'm a fan of Samsung products, interested in ultra high definition entertainment, future proofing and cursed with early adopter syndrome to the detriment of my wallet.

Anyways this TV is admittedly mind blowing. Coming from 1080p Samsung this looks so freaking good. I've spent most of my time devouring 4k content on YouTube and various other places and can't get enough. Sorry I can't get into too much technical detail but there are some good posts from professionals elsewhere. The colors are great and I'm still fiddling with settings that work best for my viewing setup. The TV is mounted nicely on the wall and I'm really enjoying it so far. Honestly it's a breeze to "cruise" the net with this TV which I haven't experienced thus far. The smart remote is great also.

I do have some issues though. There is no Netflix through the smart hub. I've been told they are working on this and we will get uhd Netflix soon. Amazon instant videos new uhd services (which appeared to go live literally last night) audio isn't working through my surround sound which is annoying. There seems to be connectivity issues in terms of the Internet off and on. However these all seem like software glitches that should be worked out over the coming weeks but am wondering if any other owners have been bumping into frustrations like this? Lots of money for a product that is working sort of.

#21 ·
My Dutch 65JS9500 has arrived at my local store only 400 yards away but it got in too late to have it delivered today.:(

So delivery is now scheduled for Friday Night.

OP asked about accessing 10 point white controls.

They are only available in Movie mode I am told, which is the best preset out of the box to start calibrations.

#23 ·
One issue is getting chroma 444 to work on a PC. I'm using 980 GTX's. The FOX chroma test is giving me unclear text when viewed in paint full screen. Has anyone gotten this to work yet?
Today I close up examined a 65js9000 at BB with USB stick, same problem with chroma, 1/2 res horizontal, full res vertical aka'422'. Red/blue text was readable but just so. Generally pixels were "smeared" not sharp and crisp and like GolfP.

Can you give a description of the visual difference between USB text and HDMI text?

#30 · (Edited)
Oh wait, the Hz is now set to 50. I don't think that was an option before. I just upgraded Win 10 Preview from version 9226 to 10041. Maybe that what's did it.
You're still doing 422 chroma (horizontal replicated) if the left box is changing color.
The gtx 980 does 24, 50 Hz under every windows release , every geforce driver. The color change is due to the video processing differences 422 vs 444. To test this, look at the samsung ... menu > picture mode. Is 'Entertain' a choice? Or is 'dynamic' a choice?

EDIT: By "color change", I'm not referring to the left square changing color as you move MS Paint windows around. I'm referring to the over all greyish, washedout look of the entire desktop.

#32 ·
For the Fud slinger who said that 9500 had horrible bloom and bad blks here is video of real world results and surprise surprise no bloom and deep blacks :p

Reactions: Aldiggi
#34 ·
#33 ·
Another review the put the set up against panny plasma and JS9500 won!!!
http://translate.google.com/transla...-suhd-js9500-full-led-3d-4k-65-cali/?p=352295
from article wow
As you can see in the above images themselves tested TV, Panasonic plasma even massacred penultimate generation. This proves the effectiveness of the algorithms downright sensational quencher, which fully confirm my eyes. Despite poor ANSI measurement is not possible, because for a long time as I repeat, ANSI checkerboard is a special case where the local LCD TVs blanking often do not work, and it does not bother them in getting superb results in contact with the real content of the video. During testing dozens of scenes not found the point where the ST50 showcase at lesser black. In some approaches, both TVs fared similarly in other JS9500 was much, much better.

Attachments

#41 ·
Another review the put the set up against panny plasma and JS9500 won!!!
http://translate.google.com/translate?depth=1&hl=en&nv=1&prev=search&rurl=translate.google.ca&sl=pl&u=http://hdtvpolska.com/topic/34835-test-samsung-suhd-js9500-full-led-3d-4k-65-cali/%3Fp%3D352295
from article wow
As you can see in the above images themselves tested TV, Panasonic plasma even massacred penultimate generation. This proves the effectiveness of the algorithms downright sensational quencher, which fully confirm my eyes. Despite poor ANSI measurement is not possible, because for a long time as I repeat, ANSI checkerboard is a special case where the local LCD TVs blanking often do not work, and it does not bother them in getting superb results in contact with the real content of the video. During testing dozens of scenes not found the point where the ST50 showcase at lesser black. In some approaches, both TVs fared similarly in other JS9500 was much, much better.
WOW! That was the review I was waiting for. This polish guy does all the real world testing that I am concerned about, not just measurements. He even usually takes the display apart to photo graph the inside components. That is a true in depth review.

#42 ·
Funny thing about the bloom with is a side effect of lcd in general is u won't see it on most things u watch. It's really mostly on certain situations with strict lighting conditions that u would even see it depending on the severity of each panel. If a person only watches sports and occassionally watches movies but with the lights on you would never see it.

#55 ·
Can you retest with USB stick? The left square will still be purple, but that means nothing because USB stick will do averging ss so you must get really close high res photo. I still want to know if text is less than perfect with USB stick, it wasn't at the BB 65js9000
Also, are you doing 65js9500 or 65js9000?

Please retest with extreme close up photo of red on blue text and blue on black text. No need to see the bezel anymore.
MS Paint, > F11, full screen

#70 ·
All LED's have a weaker viewing angle. Curve or no curve. The old Plasma tech had the best viewing angle's, oh well, those days are over.....

#66 ·
yes the info button

#73 ·
So happy to read this thread. So happy to see that maybe the 4:4:4 @60 is solved!!. :):D

The question I had in my head tonight before I started reading the issue is probably solved was...

Is the chroma processing all done in the One connect box? or is it a limitation of the panel? The question still stands really. Is this 10 bit screen actually a good contender for "future proof" because the one connect box will keep getting better and handling more features in the future?

#74 · (Edited)
Ten years of viewing here and 2015 is the first year that I recall the current obsession of 4:4:4 Chroma at 60Hz, it's not likely anything less carries SD Turdvision as a result does it? Can anyone here view real content without a test graphic and truly tell the difference?

Now to the Future Proofing - NO! Ten Bit panels/processing are a birthplace for minimum HDR standards but stronger standards like Dolby Vision go well beyond Ten Bit and a OCB cannot elevate the bit level of the panel - it is what it is.

I doubt there will ever be a future proof panel as the Bar/Standards are not Static they are DYNAMIC otherwise why would we have CES/IFA/CEDIA - manufacturers have to provide reasons for us to reach for our Wallets again. Imagine a world without a new IPhone/IPad/GalaxySwhatever . . . Future Proof is when a consumer feels what they have works to their satisfaction but Consumers Love this Game.

The Current Obsession with 4:4:4 scenario kind of proves future proof is temporal as it wasn't here in past years and once that's achieved the obsession will dynamically become another measure as the Bar (Holy Grail) is a moving Dynamic Target not Static Today's Best is the enemy of Tomorrow's Better.;)

#80 · (Edited)
Thank goodness never been so happy to see a mod in my life lol please keep this thread clean to many haters trying to derail these Samsung threads..

#85 ·
Howdy, first post here. I've been going back and forth between last year's HU9000, and the JS9500. My question is for someone who may have seen both: Is the premium for the new model worth it? Obviously both are excellent TVs, but how much of a difference is there between the 2? I assume the FALD makes a pretty substantial difference, but is it discernible and worth and extra $2k?

Thanks in advance.

#104 ·
Howdy, first post here. I've been going back and forth between last year's HU9000, and the JS9500. My question is for someone who may have seen both: Is the premium for the new model worth it? Obviously both are excellent TVs, but how much of a difference is there between the 2? I assume the FALD makes a pretty substantial difference, but is it discernible and worth and extra $2k?

Thanks in advance.
The units are nearly double the cost. The JS9500 is the clear winner, but paying a 100% premium is a personal call. If you have the expendable cash, why not ?

#87 ·
A note about the viewing angles at least from what I've seen: horizontal off-axis is a lot better than vertical off-axis. Vertical off-axis kicks in the bloom pretty bad. If you see it in a store and it's not eye level, you're missing out.

With regards to the 4:4:4 60hz discussion: I've been able to get it going. I'm seeing the same problem I did on my HU8550 though where it randomly drops signal. The problem on this particular TV though is that eventually it gets to a point where the time between these drops becomes less and less until it's eventually just flashing on and off. I've tried a couple different cords with no change. Even the newer Monster Black Platinum cable. I still wonder if it's a cord length problem - this is over ~16ft.

#131 ·
A note about the viewing angles at least from what I've seen: horizontal off-axis is a lot better than vertical off-axis. Vertical off-axis kicks in the bloom pretty bad. If you see it in a store and it's not eye level, you're missing out.

With regards to the 4:4:4 60hz discussion: I've been able to get it going. I'm seeing the same problem I did on my HU8550 though where it randomly drops signal. The problem on this particular TV though is that eventually it gets to a point where the time between these drops becomes less and less until it's eventually just flashing on and off. I've tried a couple different cords with no change. Even the newer Monster Black Platinum cable. I still wonder if it's a cord length problem - this is over ~16ft.

16 feet is tough for HDMI. It was designed for 6 feet. Longer distances make "handshake" issues worse.

#95 ·
This test tells me nothing cause there's no instructions. In the fox test with two squares in MSPaint , if they are both purple then conclusive 444 chroma at what ever frequency you have your desktop in. I'm assuming you ran the test at 3840x2160/60Hz.
Only thing left is to do is test at 3840x2160/ 50Hz. Would you please rerun the MS Paint / fox two squares test at 50Hz?
Don't need photos, just report if the squares are both purple, and make sure samsung's 'entertain' choice is under 'picture mode'.
Finally, would you repeat test at 4096x2160/60Hz?
thanks!