AVS Forum banner

Vizio Active Led Zones vs Samsung local dimming

25K views 114 replies 21 participants last post by  GregLee 
#1 ·
I was shopping the at Costco yesterday. I noticed several Vizios had local dimming with either 6, 16, or 30+ active Led zones.

The Samsung tvs had thier own version of local dimming but didn't specify number of zones etc.

Is there a consensus opinion on which is better?

#2 ·
The Vizio's you were looking were most likely their full array models unless they were older stock. They have true zones and leds through the back of the entire TV.

The Sasmungs you were looking at was most likely edge lit and only has LEDs around the edge of the TV and does not actually have true local dimmming and cannot distinguish zones like the Vizio's can.

Full array LEDs do a better job of removing flashlighting and clouding in the panel. The Samsung will probably have better color accuracy but worse screen uniformity.

#3 ·
Basically a FALD (Full Array Local Dimming) has full array and a minimum of 90/100 zones. The Vizio stuff you mention has less LEDs and less zones, it is more or less poor man's FALD. Samsung has Edge Lit Dimming and fakes Full Array Local Dimming (Samsung Micro Dimming Ultimate divides the screen into app. 600 fake zones). It needs to be checked out in the dark to see how well it performs (FALD has better contrast, is better for darkroom performance).
http://www.homefuninc.com/local-dim...s-micro-dimming-pro-vs-micro-dimming-standard

#7 ·
Basically a FALD (Full Array Local Dimming) has full array and a minimum of 90/100 zones. The Vizio stuff you mention has less LEDs and less zones, it is more or less poor man's FALD.
Sorry, there does not have to be 90/100 zones to be considered FALD. FALD is a technolgy that is based on how the LEDs are placed within a panel and not named by how many zones they are assigned. Obviously the more zones the better but that is not to say a TV with lesser zones is no longer considered a FALD TV. It is just considered a less quality FALD TV which won't have the advantages of panels with more zones.

#6 ·
If not viewing in a dark environment then FALD matters less. Local dimming is so sought after here because most do critical viewing at night or in light controlled rooms. If there are always lights on or its a "bright" room then that matters less.

Sent from nowhere

#9 ·
What about off angle viewing? I need the tv to mounted high on the wall (we have young kids). It will be mounted roughly same height as tvs mounted above a fire place.

So I'm worried about ghosting etc when looking up at tv. Any suggestions?

#11 ·
If you mount a TV up high, you want to get a mount that allows you to angle it down.

The off angle viewing to be concerned about with LEDs is from the sides. No LED handles this well IMO but some do better then others depending on the panel that is used.

You usually have to pick better contrast or better side angle viewing, but you can't get both. As long as angling the TV down at viewing at the center then it shouldn't really matter. What matters is where your seating will be located.

#13 ·
I read the recent UK Review of the Samsung 65" SUHD and they ran the mouse over test and reported 150 zones. Seen no report on the 78" as they are still pending release.:)

I've never seen them together to compare but the UK Review gave it it's top Award recently and one of the most positive reviews I've ever seen. However it remains way overpriced at $6K for a 65" so in a battle of the budget buyer it's likely out of reach.:)

#14 ·
If side viewing is important maybe look at a LG with a IPS Panel.

#46 ·
It's important to note that LG isn't the only provider of IPS TV's... In fact the Vizio M series 49", 55" and P 55" use IPS panels with better native contrast than LG. The local dimming also helps with absolute contrast but our 49" M series did suffer from some fairly annoying blooming that should be better on the P series with double the zones.

#22 ·
You clearly stated that FALD TVs have to have 90/100 zones at a minimum to be considered FALD which is not the case according to CNET.

And yes, I also consider the E Series and M Series FALD as well with fewer zones. Their LED layout is behind the panel (full array) and have a number of zones they can dim (local dimming).

#29 · (Edited)
A consistent black level retention is hard to achieve with any back light system,the lightning controller have their limits ,the black levels of the panel change depending of the amount of light that it needs for x scene ,also the blooming and halos that are introduce by the issue.

but anyone that watch tv under this environments , bias light ,dim lit room ,bright room ,controlled light rooms shouldn't have any problem enjoying this great tv's.

the only issue is in a dark environment.

I'm still debating if I should just trade my stable black levels over the new sets.

my viewing preference is in a dark environment so it will be a hard decision for me.

I have to said that they have made improvements and we will see more improvements over the years.

Reactions: tubetwister
#37 ·
I had a Vizio P65 for a week and I took it back, off axis viewing was terrible and to me the colors was not accurate.

#40 ·
Ok well we are all entitled to an opinion.

Reactions: Ph8te and ray0414
#74 · (Edited)
I want to start off by saying I own a Vizio P60. I have owned it since it was released last year. It without a doubt wasn't perfect from the get go but I will say Vizio has done a good job updating the firmware to fix almost all of the issue's that I had. Before owning the TV I was a die hard samsung fan and I would say that I still am but Vizio has made a good inexpensive product with the P60-P70. The local dimming works as described, the blooming was a little rough at the start but after an update or two to the firmware it has gotten allot better while watching the tv on center(which i do 99% of the time).. Also VIzio's settings out of the box are a little extreme, the brightness of the tv is set to 100. Doing normal adjustments corrects it pretty quickly. The colors were a little off but a good calibration fixes that in minutes. We all know that OLED is the future but right now the prices are just too high and for an LED/LCD TV this local dimming gets the job done well. I haven't read allot into the 2015 Samsung tv's, are the new 2015 set's FALD?

#86 ·
Today I did get a chance to spend an hour with the js9500 remote in hand. I did change some setting. It had a very nice picture but it isn't worth the $4000 more than I paid for my P70.
If I had to put a number on it I would say $1000 more and that's not all becuse of PQ at best 10% better. But the build quality is very good.

#87 ·
did you only watch the demo or other content?

we recently had a new HU9000 owner say hi in the the 9000 forum, while say he says the vizio has amazing blacks, he swears the vizio doesnt hold a candle to the processing on the HU9000, which is last years model, not even this year. according to him the HU9000 is a much better overall tv than the vizio. so who do we believe, him....or you? :p

but your right, theres a huge difference between 2000 and 6000. the average person isnt swinging 6k on a tv. i do wish the best of the best tvs were lower in price for everyone else to take a swing at.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.