Calibrated my color "correctly" on my Sharp Aquos but looks rather dull - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 7 Old 03-25-2015, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Calibrated my color "correctly" on my Sharp Aquos but looks rather dull

Hello all. I finally got back into my setup when I bought a Marantz UD5007 and Disney WOW disc to calibrate my 50" Sharp Aquos LC-50LE442U. Everything was done right, and using the supplied blue filter I set color to 29 (about a quarter of the way) and tint on 0 (Dead middle). Now this is supposed to be the right color, but I noticed all different blu rays and DVDs, even some games with my xbox one, look a little duller, how can I describe it, more monochromatic. Skin tones tend to look more on pale side than tan or colored I guess, but maybe this is as the source intended? It is hard for me to know reference. Is this just my eyes getting used to the way sources are supposed to be since? I assume these TVs really oversaturate the color out of the box, since mine originally was on 50 plus. Just want to make sure this is normal and when done properly, can you reassure me using the blue filter for the chroma/tint will always yield appropriate results? Thanks for your time guys.

-Erik

Marantz SR8002 Receiver, Marantz UD5007, Axiom M60Ti, Axiom VP150, Axiom QS8, HSU VTF-2 MK3, Xbox One, Wii U
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-25-2015, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I set my SQ70 to Dynamic and tweaked the adjustments.I personally like a more vivid picture than what is deemed correct. Play around with the different modes and don't be afraid to tweak ..you can always reset.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-25-2015, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 306
You can't calibrate a tv with a disk alone. The best you can do is semi-accurately adjust the basic settings. To truly calibrate a panel you need a light meter, specialized software, and lots of time if this is your first attempt. Did you turn off all artificial processing on the tv as well as the blu-ray player before attempting to adjust your panel? Keep in mind that source will depend a lot on what you see as well. When calibrating via a blu-ray player, all you can do is set the panel as close to REC.709 standards as is possible using a light meter. Blu-ray movies should look great as they are the most consistent source. Cable and sat will vary, sometimes considerably, depending on the programming, broadcast ,etc. If it is a well made tv with fairly accurate adjustment settings, all of your sources should look good.
post #4 of 7 Old 03-25-2015, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Otto, yes I durned off OPC DNR etc. no artificial processing extra on Tv or Marantz player. So basicially adding a little more vivid color, which my eyes deem more preferable, isn't a bad thing I guess then. Sharpness,contrast, brightness, and aspect all correct...color with a disc alone is less absolute...thank you for the reassurance and response. Right now I turned it up to 40, closer to midline, and I think it is better (Pirates of Carribrean blu ray I used). Again if I had better financial situation I'd plasma, I miss my old Panasonic that developed a green line...but for the price 2 years ago I couldn't go wrong with this 60 Hz TV.

Marantz SR8002 Receiver, Marantz UD5007, Axiom M60Ti, Axiom VP150, Axiom QS8, HSU VTF-2 MK3, Xbox One, Wii U
post #5 of 7 Old 03-25-2015, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I have a rather odd idea about calibrating TVs, which is that pictures of real scenes should resemble as much as possible what you see looking at those scenes directly. For instance, it's easiest for me to match the color of the greens of foliage, because there is a window looking out on foliage behind and to the side of my TV. I just look back and forth and change adjustments, looking for a match. So, for adjusting the color control, I say: find some video showing things like you see around you, and if the TV display has less vivid colors, turn up the color control. Or if the display is already too saturated, of course, turn down the color.

(The inspiration for this idea about calibration I owe to Richard Harkness: "Steaming Rat," or "Rich's Method For Achieving A More Realistic Image...

Greg Lee
post #6 of 7 Old 03-25-2015, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 306
It's what ever looks best to you and however you achieve it. You don't have to have an accurately calibrated panel if you don't want to. But, if you do want to have a calibrated panel, there is only one way to do that, and that's with a light meter and specialized software that will take the light readings and compare it to reference standards for adjustment. The coloring in movies for the most part is not "natural" so what you are adjusting too is the movie industry standards, which don't always follow REC.709.
post #7 of 7 Unread Today, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I seem to agree with the brightness/contrast/sharpness/ and tint but like cool temps and rather higher color adjustment. Just looks best to my eyes, even if its a little ways from movie industry reference points. Thanks for the input though guys, wish I had a light meter, I'd be curious to see it done the right way one day however.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays