Sony W850B or Vizio P series - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 03-26-2015, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
cronus98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sony W850B or Vizio P series

65" P or 70" W850B? Admittedly, they are quite different sets, but almost the exact same price. Both have fairly solid reviews. Of course, the Vizio has 4k and local dimming, whereas the Sony is 1080p and edge lit, albeit 5 inches bigger. I don't care about 3D or apps; I just want the biggest, best PQ at this price point.

Thoughts?
cronus98 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 03-26-2015, 09:46 AM
Senior Member
 
avdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Nashville, TN, USA
Posts: 444
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The biggest difference between the 2 in terms of picture is processing. The Sony is superior for upconversion and motion. However, the black level will be better on the vizio. Personally, I can't stand edge-lit sets because the light bleed makes the edges brighter. If the TV will be in a bright environment, it may not be as noticeable.
avdoc is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 03-26-2015, 09:59 AM
Member
 
videokid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cronus98 View Post
65" P or 70" W850B? Admittedly, they are quite different sets, but almost the exact same price. Both have fairly solid reviews. Of course, the Vizio has 4k and local dimming, whereas the Sony is 1080p and edge lit, albeit 5 inches bigger. I don't care about 3D or apps; I just want the biggest, best PQ at this price point.

Thoughts?
Opinions will differ, but my experience with purchasing the Sony W850B was radial banding. I went through two sets, both had it. Apparently some owners do not get the banding, some may not notice it. Check out the owner thread to read and see photos to come to your own conclusion.
Official Sony KDL-XXW850B thread
I don't know about the Vizio 65 P, let us know what you decide...
vidkid
videokid is offline  
post #4 of 17 Old 03-26-2015, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1215
Quote:
Originally Posted by cronus98 View Post
65" P or 70" W850B? Admittedly, they are quite different sets, but almost the exact same price. Both have fairly solid reviews. Of course, the Vizio has 4k and local dimming, whereas the Sony is 1080p and edge lit, albeit 5 inches bigger. I don't care about 3D or apps; I just want the biggest, best PQ at this price point.

Thoughts?
If you watch in the dark, the Vizio P70 will deliver the best picture quality (at least for high-quality sources like Bluray or high-bandwidth streaming). The P70 is on special for $2000 at Costco through the end of this month (which also gives you 90 days to evaluate and return if not satisfied).
fafrd is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 03-26-2015, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
cronus98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by videokid View Post
Opinions will differ, but my experience with purchasing the Sony W850B was radial banding. I went through two sets, both had it. Apparently some owners do not get the banding, some may not notice it. Check out the owner thread to read and see photos to come to your own conclusion.
Official Sony KDL-XXW850B thread
I don't know about the Vizio 65 P, let us know what you decide...
vidkid
much appreciated! sounds like quite a few unhappy customers out there, which i was not aware of. surprising, actually.

i'm liking the P, but vizio gets a lot of hate. it's probably because of their (outdated?) image as a bargain brand, but i'm trying to not let it sway my decision. tough choices ahead
cronus98 is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 03-26-2015, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
cronus98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
If you watch in the dark, the Vizio P70 will deliver the best picture quality (at least for high-quality sources like Bluray or high-bandwidth streaming). The P70 is on special for $2000 at Costco through the end of this month (which also gives you 90 days to evaluate and return if not satisfied).
i'm hoping to get BB's mover's discount, but thanks for the information!
cronus98 is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 03-26-2015, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1215
Quote:
Originally Posted by cronus98 View Post
i'm hoping to get BB's mover's discount, but thanks for the information!
I see BB is offering the P70 for $2300 right now,

Even with the 10% mover's coupon, Costco's price is better.

More importantly, Costco throws in a second year of warranty at no cost.

And most importantly, Costco's 90-day return period gives you plenty of time to audition the TV and be sure you are satisfied.

If you live anywhere near a Costco, I would seriously suggest you consider that option...

As far as the emotional hatred for Vizio, it's very strange. I believe the primary driver is members who have spent much more on their 'premium' TVs needing to reassure themselves that no one is making wiser purchase decisions than they have made (and are stuck with).

If off-angle viewing is a priority for you, you will not be happy with the P70. But for black levels and shadow detail when viewing in the dark (and from the +/- 30-degree sweet-spot), the performance of the P70 will shock you.

Here is a recent and balanced review: http://www.heronfidelity.com/blog/la...-p-series.html
fafrd is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 03-26-2015, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
truwarrior22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by cronus98 View Post
i'm hoping to get BB's mover's discount, but thanks for the information!
I'd get the Sony.
truwarrior22 is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 03-26-2015, 12:19 PM
Member
 
toneroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I was checking a bunch of different sets out (Sony, LG, Vizio) and ended up with the Viz 65p from Bestbuy with the movers coupon as well!
It's a solid set so far. My first experience with Vizio and its been positive.
The Full Array Local Dimming works amazingly well but Sony usually has a better colors and the w850b has a great 1080p pic.
I'd get the 4K to future proof yourself a bit even though updated standards are being made.
Good assortment of Apps. Netflix 4k and Amazon UHD look good - I do miss 3D sometimes but its not a deal breaker for me.
Gaming lag is also super low on the Vizio when I play PS4.

For me it came down the price/performance. The viz 4K was about half the price of a comparable Sony/Sammy 4K set.
It made no sense for me to replace my 1080p set with another one.
toneroni is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 03-26-2015, 12:43 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hello all. New here. Anyway, I just purchased a 78HU9000 and it had a bunch of problems. So it's going back. But in the meantime I picked up a vizio P70 and I absolutely love it. The colors are obviously not as amazing as the HU9000 but the 4k stuff looks great and the black levels and brightness are excellent. I only paid $1999 at Costco. I have to say the HU9000 is not worth 3 times the price. Gaming is great. Ps I used calibration settings from someone here on this sub forum.
zeroescence is online now  
post #11 of 17 Old 03-26-2015, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1215
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroescence View Post
Hello all. New here. Anyway, I just purchased a 78HU9000 and it had a bunch of problems. So it's going back. But in the meantime I picked up a vizio P70 and I absolutely love it. The colors are obviously not as amazing as the HU9000 but the 4k stuff looks great and the black levels and brightness are excellent. I only paid $1999 at Costco. I have to say the HU9000 is not worth 3 times the price. Gaming is great. Ps I used calibration settings from someone here on this sub forum.
You can get the colors on the P70 very accurate with the exception of fully saturated red (which rarely appears on content).

Here is a recent review with calibration settings: http://www.heronfidelity.com/blog/la...-p-series.html

Also, for the money you saved, think about investing $175 on a meter (ColorMunkiDisplay or i1DisplayPro on discount) - that is the best way to get the most from your P70.
fafrd is offline  
post #12 of 17 Old 03-26-2015, 02:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Thanks fafrd for the advice my friend. Yeah, I saw that review and used those parameters. It looks really good now. Way better than before. But I must say the HU9000 looks marginally better. But as I stated before not 3x the price better. I'm waiting to see if a 78" JS9500 model will be announce/released. But this TV is pretty stellar at I the price point.

Sorry I can't quote you until I've reached 5 or more posts.
zeroescence is online now  
post #13 of 17 Old 03-26-2015, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1215
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroescence View Post
Thanks fafrd for the advice my friend. Yeah, I saw that review and used those parameters. It looks really good now. Way better than before. But I must say the HU9000 looks marginally better. But as I stated before not 3x the price better. I'm waiting to see if a 78" JS9500 model will be announce/released. But this TV is pretty stellar at I the price point.

Sorry I can't quote you until I've reached 5 or more posts.
No worries. This is not the right thread, but if you post your basic and advanced setting in the P-Series owner's thread or Calibration thread, we might be able help you improve the image. It was a solid review but overlooked to list Basic and Advanced settings...
fafrd is offline  
post #14 of 17 Old 03-26-2015, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
cronus98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just fyi, took a trip to best buy today. i found the 65" P to be beautiful! i was actually hard pressed to find many (any) differences from the overwhelmingly well-received sammy 8550. i think i'm sold.
cronus98 is offline  
post #15 of 17 Old 03-26-2015, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1215
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrueizhig View Post
The Sony is superior for upconversion and motion.[img]****************1wj32[/img]
If your talking about up conversion of SD, DVDs, or highly-compressed sources.

For upconvetsion of BluRays or other high-quality 1080p sources, the P70 is every bit the equal of the Sony.
fafrd is offline  
post #16 of 17 Old Today, 03:54 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
anyone try both? deciding between the 60inch of each

which tv looks more amazing in person?
electrocuting is offline  
post #17 of 17 Unread Today, 09:02 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Following this thread as well
GoBigGuy is online now  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - w850b by PriceGrabber.com



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off