**OFFICIAL** 2015 Samsung 4K SUHD JS8500 Series TV Thread - Page 759 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9116Likes

post #22741 of 22806 Old 09-19-2017, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I will be getting the new 4K Apple TV this Friday. I am excited in getting this new product and play 4K content through it. I understand that the new Apple TV will...

"When you first connect your Apple TV 4K to a 4K television capable of HDR10 or Dolby Vision, you may be prompted to run a short display test for these formats. Follow the onscreen instructions to run the test, and confirm that you have a clear picture. If Apple TV 4K is unable to confirm that your television can display Dolby Vision or HDR10, it will automatically revert back to the mode it was previously using."

I believe the Samsung support HDR10 (not Dolby Vision), correct? Also, is there a particular setting I should make on my Samsung JS8500 so that the HDR is activated on my TV?

I have been playing 4K content on my TV via the built-in apps on my TV (i.e. Netflix, Amazon). Looks great. But now (along with my 4K BluRay player) I will be submitting a 4K source to my TV externally.

Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22742 of 22806 Old 09-19-2017, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjerina View Post
I will be getting the new 4K Apple TV this Friday. I am excited in getting this new product and play 4K content through it. I understand that the new Apple TV will...

"When you first connect your Apple TV 4K to a 4K television capable of HDR10 or Dolby Vision, you may be prompted to run a short display test for these formats. Follow the onscreen instructions to run the test, and confirm that you have a clear picture. If Apple TV 4K is unable to confirm that your television can display Dolby Vision or HDR10, it will automatically revert back to the mode it was previously using."

I believe the Samsung support HDR10 (not Dolby Vision), correct? Also, is there a particular setting I should make on my Samsung JS8500 so that the HDR is activated on my TV?

I have been playing 4K content on my TV via the built-in apps on my TV (i.e. Netflix, Amazon). Looks great. But now (along with my 4K BluRay player) I will be submitting a 4K source to my TV externally.

Any advice?
Make sure the "HDMI UHD Color" is ON on the HDMI port # you are connecting any device which is 4K HDR. When you play an HDR clip or show,check the back light and contrast (if it is HDR they will shoot to maximum automatically by TV and that is the only way to tell HDR is enabled).
This set is HDR10 and really good for what it is.

post #22743 of 22806 Old 09-19-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esrever View Post
Would there be any downside to leaving the UHD Color enabled all the time even when not using a 4K/HDR source, like DirecTV for example? Would this possibly produce color banding or anything of the sort?
Mine is set to on all the time for the ARC port and the ARC port is I use mainly for AVR/Cable/Oppo etc. I don't have a problem regardless of what I am playing (a 4K HDR disc or just plain cable).

post #22744 of 22806 Old 09-20-2017, 12:27 PM

Favorite apps on Smarthub startup

Is there a way to delete Favorite Apps shortcut from smarthub startup list (I know there is a pin and a delete button, but even after I delete an app or HDMI port shortcut, it re-appears). I need Amazon first (done with pin, stays there) and Netflix second (that fails because other apps and HDMI ports shortcuts comes in between as we watch various sources).

I almost created a Harmony/Google Home/Smartthings event and this random order is killing it.

post #22745 of 22806 Old 09-21-2017, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaytheDreamer View Post
This set is HDR10 and really good for what it is.
And what it is, is the last of the top tier sets that provides support for both HDR and active 3d (unless you want to spend $5k on the Sony Z9 model).
Guard it with your life.
post #22746 of 22806 Old 09-21-2017, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Please report back on the results of that test.
Should be very interesting.
(thanks in advance)
thos19 likes this.
post #22747 of 22806 Old 09-21-2017, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisBean View Post
Please report back on the results of that test.
Should be very interesting.
(thanks in advance)
Will do. I will get to check it out to tomorrow when I get my unit delivered.
post #22748 of 22806 Old 09-21-2017, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Will do. I will get to check it out to tomorrow when I get my unit delivered.
Wait what is the point of running the test? For JS8500 set right? Just to confirm Apple TV recognizes this set as HDR capable? We all know it does but..
post #22749 of 22806 Old 09-22-2017, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New to the forum, though have been following for awhile. A few things that I'm a little unclear on still, and also in need of some advice.

1. I downloaded the Korean version of the firmware update last night, but wanted to double check as I've only seen one person chime back in as to whether it is a universal update and wont all of a sudden force me to start using a translator for menus, etc.

2. I too am waiting for my Apple TV 4k to arrive, though in the meantime, I've been using my Roku Premiere. Picture has been great on that, though Netflix will not stream in 4K through the Roku, only when I use the native Samsung SmartHub app. My internet speed is 100mpbs, so there shouldn't be any issue, but the Roku will only register around 21-22mbps and based on what I'm reading you need at least 25mpbs to stream in 4k. Hoping the Apple TV 4k does not have this problem. Please let me know if anyone has a workaround.

3. I switched the HDMI UHD Color setting to 'on' for the HDMI port that's connected to my Roku to see if it would do anything for Netflix/Amazon Prime. I didn't see any difference on the menu items, though when I played a show through Amazon Prime, the color was all screwed up - greens and oranges and very pixelated. Not sure why this happened. It went away when I reset the HDMI UDH Color setting to 'off'. Any ideas? Did I do something wrong?

Appreciate any input/thoughts and happy to join the threat.

Thanks!
post #22750 of 22806 Old 09-22-2017, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by theyonan View Post

2. I too am waiting for my Apple TV 4k to arrive, though in the meantime, I've been using my Roku Premiere. Picture has been great on that, though Netflix will not stream in 4K through the Roku, only when I use the native Samsung SmartHub app. My internet speed is 100mpbs, so there shouldn't be any issue, but the Roku will only register around 21-22mbps and based on what I'm reading you need at least 25mpbs to stream in 4k. Hoping the Apple TV 4k does not have this problem. Please let me know if anyone has a workaround.!
You don't need 20+ mbps for Netflix 4K to work. My speed is around 14-16 mbps and I can get Netflix HDR 4K without any issues, I also have Roku Premiere+. You do need to turn on UHD Color for HDMI on your TV.

You mentioned Roku Premiere it looks like that box cannot do HDR only Premiere+ does.
post #22751 of 22806 Old 09-22-2017, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojoman View Post
You don't need 20+ mbps for Netflix 4K to work. My speed is around 14-16 mbps and I can get Netflix HDR 4K without any issues, I also have Roku Premiere+. You do need to turn on UHD Color for HDMI on your TV.

You mentioned Roku Premiere it looks like that box cannot do HDR only Premiere+ does.
Apologies, I misspoke. I have a Roku Ultra. So I agree, it should work. Doesn't explain the weird coloring when I attempted to turn on UHD Color when watching Amazon video tho. Strange stuff.

Thanks!
post #22752 of 22806 Old 09-23-2017, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
New to the forum, though have been following for awhile. A few things that I'm a little unclear on still, and also in need of some advice.

1. I downloaded the Korean version of the firmware update last night, but wanted to double check as I've only seen one person chime back in as to whether it is a universal update and wont all of a sudden force me to start using a translator for menus, etc.

2. I too am waiting for my Apple TV 4k to arrive, though in the meantime, I've been using my Roku Premiere. Picture has been great on that, though Netflix will not stream in 4K through the Roku, only when I use the native Samsung SmartHub app. My internet speed is 100mpbs, so there shouldn't be any issue, but the Roku will only register around 21-22mbps and based on what I'm reading you need at least 25mpbs to stream in 4k. Hoping the Apple TV 4k does not have this problem. Please let me know if anyone has a workaround.

3. I switched the HDMI UHD Color setting to 'on' for the HDMI port that's connected to my Roku to see if it would do anything for Netflix/Amazon Prime. I didn't see any difference on the menu items, though when I played a show through Amazon Prime, the color was all screwed up - greens and oranges and very pixelated. Not sure why this happened. It went away when I reset the HDMI UDH Color setting to 'off'. Any ideas? Did I do something wrong?

Appreciate any input/thoughts and happy to join the threat.

Thanks!

1. why do you "need" the korean update? as pointed out multiple times in this thread, it's not intended for other countries sets. It MIGHT work and it MIGHT be fine. Or not.
JaytheDreamer likes this.

Sony xbr65x850c Side Blooming test clips:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...br65x850c.xlsx
post #22753 of 22806 Old 09-23-2017, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Anybody found a good use for the camera, that was for Skype?
post #22754 of 22806 Old 09-23-2017, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Just got the new Apple TV 4K but cand seem to run chroma at 4:2:2 only 4:2:0. Samsung TV goes black and then Apple TV 4K resets to 4:2:0 when I try.
post #22755 of 22806 Old 09-23-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Apologies, I misspoke. I have a Roku Ultra. So I agree, it should work. Doesn't explain the weird coloring when I attempted to turn on UHD Color when watching Amazon video tho. Strange stuff.

Thanks!
Without HDMI UHD Color ON you can't get 4K-HDR. Not sure why your colors are off but like bp787 mentioned I am not sure why would you update a FW which is not intended for your region. FW for these TVs usually includes so many settings for apps based on regions too. This thread advised against it many times.

post #22756 of 22806 Old 09-23-2017, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp787 View Post
1. why do you "need" the korean update? as pointed out multiple times in this thread, it's not intended for other countries sets. It MIGHT work and it MIGHT be fine. Or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaytheDreamer View Post
Without HDMI UHD Color ON you can't get 4K-HDR. Not sure why your colors are off but like bp787 mentioned I am not sure why would you update a FW which is not intended for your region. FW for these TVs usually includes so many settings for apps based on regions too. This thread advised against it many times.
Don't listen to these posters who aren't knowledgeable about the Korean or Canadian firmware and this tv. This TV will not let you update the firmware with a file that wasn't meant for it.

I'm not sure why you would use anything other that the smarthub apps for Amazon Prime and Netflix UHD HDR.
TravisBean likes this.

UN48JS8500 UN55HU6950 w/SEK-3500U UN40HU6950 w/SEK-3500U UBD-K8500 UN37C5000
post #22757 of 22806 Old 09-24-2017, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiC70 View Post
Just got the new Apple TV 4K but cand seem to run chroma at 4:2:2 only 4:2:0. Samsung TV goes black and then Apple TV 4K resets to 4:2:0 when I try.
Hmm interesting. I'm able to run either chroma, but if I pick 4:2:2 i can see visible banding on the icons on the home screen, as if it's set to a lower color depth so it looks "dithered", if you know what I mean. I don't notice that when watching a Netflix (HDR) video though. But I haven't done enough comparisons to see if it's improved for that.

Maybe try another HDMI 2.0 cable and see if you're able to get video in both modes?
post #22758 of 22806 Old 09-25-2017, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
Don't listen to these posters who aren't knowledgeable about the Korean or Canadian firmware and this tv. This TV will not let you update the firmware with a file that wasn't meant for it.

I'm not sure why you would use anything other that the smarthub apps for Amazon Prime and Netflix UHD HDR.

oh wise poppagene, i'm glad you know so much about software. For a living, I write and deploy software to different regions and to different systems.

We have firmware and applications that appear similar, but are, in fact, different. A system allowing an update doesn't mean it's the correct update for it. It only means that it passed some type of basic validation.

As stated previously, you just DO NOT KNOW what is in a firmware package destined for a different country. Why is there this need to risk your set just because there's some update for another country, especially when you don't really know what's actually IN these updates? not like samsung ever really states what it does.

Just because it works for one person, doesn't mean you should tell every person who visits here to do it.
pilotart and JaytheDreamer like this.

Sony xbr65x850c Side Blooming test clips:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...br65x850c.xlsx
post #22759 of 22806 Old 09-25-2017, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp787 View Post
Just because it works for one person, doesn't mean you should tell every person who visits here to do it.
Is that what I posted?

UN48JS8500 UN55HU6950 w/SEK-3500U UN40HU6950 w/SEK-3500U UBD-K8500 UN37C5000
post #22760 of 22806 Old 09-26-2017, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
I use my Samsung UBD-K8500 Blu-Ray player because it can do Dolby Digital Plus 5.1. It has a higher bit rate than the Dolby Digital 5.1 that the TV smarthub only outputs.
poppagene and TravisBean like this.

Samsung UN65JS8500/Samsung UBD-K8500/Onkyo TX-SR608 using 7.1/Xbox One S w/Kinect
XBL Gamertag: MALICIOUS ONE
My Twitter
My Rock Band/Guitar Hero DLC
post #22761 of 22806 Old 09-27-2017, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Need some advice. Ive had my TV almost 3 years now. Had some pink bars start to show on top and bottom. Luckily I bought the replacement plan from BestBuy. I called the tech, he asked to see pics , it took him 5 seconds to decide over the phone that the panel is bad.

Here is my issue, they dont make the TV anymore so they are going to do an exchange based on SPECS. ie.. a better or equal tv in all regards.

Now if you were I how would you do that, what new model would be equal to this tv? Will I be able to really pin them down on specs? Am I going to get shafted?

Anyone with Bestbuy replacement experience? It was a no brainer with one of my xbox's, but this is different.

thank you
post #22762 of 22806 Old 09-27-2017, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1433 Post(s)
Liked: 2118
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfumat0 View Post
Need some advice. Ive had my TV almost 3 years now. Had some pink bars start to show on top and bottom. Luckily I bought the replacement plan from BestBuy. I called the tech, he asked to see pics , it took him 5 seconds to decide over the phone that the panel is bad.

Here is my issue, they dont make the TV anymore so they are going to do an exchange based on SPECS. ie.. a better or equal tv in all regards.

Now if you were I how would you do that, what new model would be equal to this tv? Will I be able to really pin them down on specs? Am I going to get shafted?

Anyone with Bestbuy replacement experience? It was a no brainer with one of my xbox's, but this is different.

thank you
Since you're having to give up a feature (3D), I would suggest that the Samsung Q7F would be the ideal replacement. The lower series do not have Quantum Dots, so they wouldn't equal the basic specs of the JS8500. Check out the specs of the Q7F via the link below:

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisio...qn65q7famfxza/
MALICIOUS ONE likes this.

"I am not IN the business...I AM the business."
post #22763 of 22806 Old 09-27-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
Since you're having to give up a feature (3D), I would suggest that the Samsung Q7F would be the ideal replacement. The lower series do not have Quantum Dots, so they wouldn't equal the basic specs of the JS8500. Check out the specs of the Q7F via the link below:

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisio...qn65q7famfxza/
Thanks for the reply. I dont ever use 3d so thats not an issue for me, but as you pointed out a great "bargaining" point.

Im all about picture quality, movies and games. I just dont know how to do this, so many different words and specs. This was one of the best tvs out there, how do I decide? quad 4 processor? quantum dot? what are the most important ones?
post #22764 of 22806 Old 09-27-2017, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I dont ever use 3d so thats not an issue for me, but as you pointed out a great "bargaining" point.

Im all about picture quality, movies and games. I just dont know how to do this, so many different words and specs. This was one of the best tvs out there, how do I decide? quad 4 processor? quantum dot? what are the most important ones?
The specs on the Q7 are an improvement over those of the JS8500...but regardless of what they offer you, don't settle for anything less than a TV with Quantum Dot technology. It is essential for wide color gamut support and, along with the brighter screen of the 2017 models, will give improved HDR performance. I recommend that you print out the spec sheet for the old TV and for your desired replacement unit. Use that to bolster your case if they offer you an MU SERIES TV, as they do not use QD screens.
MALICIOUS ONE and sfumat0 like this.

post #22765 of 22806 Old 09-27-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
The specs on the Q7 are an improvement over those of the JS8500...but regardless of what they offer you, don't settle for anything less than a TV with Quantum Dot technology. It is essential for wide color gamut support and, along with the brighter screen of the 2017 models, will give improved HDR performance. I recommend that you print out the spec sheet for the old TV and for your desired replacement unit. Use that to bolster your case if they offer you an MU SERIES TV, as they do not use QD screens.
Quick question, when the new models came out, what did people consider the "replacement" for our TV for 2016 and then 2017...or has everything changed so much it isnt relevant?

I love this TV, Im pretty bummed and I know Im going to be paranoid that Im not getting as good a TV. This TV was my replacement for my Plasma Samsung 8500 which I also hated parting with.
post #22766 of 22806 Old 09-28-2017, 12:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I purchased mine through Conn's, they replaced my panel around 3 or 4 months ago.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
post #22767 of 22806 Old 09-28-2017, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quick question, when the new models came out, what did people consider the "replacement" for our TV for 2016 and then 2017...or has everything changed so much it isnt relevant?

I love this TV, Im pretty bummed and I know Im going to be paranoid that Im not getting as good a TV. This TV was my replacement for my Plasma Samsung 8500 which I also hated parting with.
I believe in 2016 it was the KS8000, and this year probably the Q7F. But you're right...things have changed significantly in the last two years.

post #22768 of 22806 Old 09-28-2017, 06:29 AM

Quote:
I believe in 2016 it was the KS8000, and this year probably the Q7F. But you're right...things have changed significantly in the last two years.
Thanks Rudy, as I sat there last night I started to think about how quickly he said he would replace it based on these pictures, less than a second, he almost said it was going to be a "replacement" before he looked at them.

Do they resell these units on a different market? This TV is pristine. The area of interest is the bottom 10 inch bar of pink and top bar of pink....and the white has looked kind of "dirty" for awhile around the edges.
Here are the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic1.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	442.8 KB
ID:	2289324   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic2.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	392.8 KB
ID:	2289326  

Last edited by sfumat0; 09-28-2017 at 06:37 AM.
post #22769 of 22806 Old 09-28-2017, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmedrano1977 View Post
I purchased mine through Conn's, they replaced my panel around 3 or 4 months ago.

I guess they have run out of them or Best Buy doesnt want to mess with it.....or they just want my TV lol. See pics in previous post.
post #22770 of 22806 Old 09-28-2017, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
I guess they have run out of them or Best Buy doesnt want to mess with it.....or they just want my TV lol. See pics in previous post.
Yeah that looks terrible, mine was developing pinkish smudges, the tech saw them and said yup you need a new panel. I don't think anyone carries them anymore although I have seen them refurbished on Groupon from time to time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
JS8500 , reflection , screen flashing black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page