AVS Forum banner

**OFFICIAL** 2015 Samsung 4K SUHD JS8500 Series TV Thread

3M views 25K replies 2K participants last post by  plf172blue 
#1 · (Edited)
This thread is for all Samsung 2015 4K SUHD JS8500 Series TV owners to post observations, comments, and questions.

4K SUHD JS8500 Series TV Links:

65" http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN65JS8500FXZA
55" http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN55JS8500FXZA
48" http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN48JS8500FXZA

Owners Manual: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/UN65JS8500FXZA

Specifications

Series/Model #: JS8500
Type: 4K SUHD TV

Video
Screen Size: 48", 55", 65"
Resolution: 3840 x 2160
Panel: 10 bit
Native Refresh Rate: 120 Hz
Motion Rate: 240
PurColor: Yes
UHD Upscaling: Yes
Depth Enhancing Technology: Yes
Nano Crystal Color: Yes
Dimming Technology: UHD Dimming
Precision Black (Local Dimming): Precision Black
Wide Color Enhancer Plus: Wide Color Enhancer
Ultra Clear Panel: Ultra Clear Pro
Peak Illuminator: Yes

Audio
Dolby: Dolby MS11
Sound Effect: DTS Studio Sound
DTS Premium Sound: DTS Premium Sound 5.1
Sound Output (RMS): 40W (10W x 2, Woofer 10W x 2)
Speaker Type: Front Firing (2.2 CH)

Features
Wi-Fi: Built-in
Processor: Quad-Core
Voice Interaction: Yes
Motion Control: Ready/Yes
Smart Evolution Ready: Ready (Future Proof Only)
3D: Yes
One Connect: One Connect Mini
OS/Platform: Tizen Smart TV

Dimensions
Size with stand (WxHxD): 57.7" x 35.1" x 11.1"
Size without stand (WxHxD): 57.7" x 32.9" x 1.2"
Shipping Size (WxHxD): 65" x 37.5" x 7.1"

Weight
Product Weight with stand: 69.7 lb
Product Weight without stand: 60.8 lb
Shipping Weight: 84.7 lb

Product Reviews

Rtings - http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-brand/samsung/js8500/
CNET - http://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-unjs8500-series/
HDTVtest - http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/ue55js8500-201506114124.htm
4k News - http://4k.com/tv/a-review-of-the-sa...a-hd-led-3d-tv-series-2015-flat-screen-model/

Calibration Settings

DenPom - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...js8500-series-tv-thread-301.html#post39373410
Prme19 (Movie) - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...-js8500-series-tv-thread-33.html#post34495410
Prme19 (Standard) - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...-js8500-series-tv-thread-61.html#post35124130
ERuiz - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...d-js8500-series-tv-thread-9.html#post33772057

See less See more
#9,601 ·
Hey guys, I picked up a Samsung UN65JS8500 on Thanksgiving. So far I really really love it. Picture is awesome. Truly breathtaking watching some of the Youtube 4K content. I mean wow...

My issues is I cannot get sound from the smarthub apps AND TV (cable connection from the receiver) out the same connection.
My receiver is brand new as well, a Yamaha RXV-379

I am outputting sound via the digital audio connection on the Connect One but I only hear sound when the Smart Hub apps are running, like Youtube. Normal TV is just silence when in this mode. I do see the image.

I have to switch my receiver to HDMI to hear sound from the TV, which when I do that I can hear the TV sound even when the apps are running.

I have the cablebox connected to the receiver then that out to the TV HDMI 4 input. I do not connect the cable box directly into the TV as the receiver is a pass through also allowing me to see the receivers information on screen.

It cannot be the receiver since when I have that set to listen to the digital input I can hear audio from the smart hb apps as I said. Since I hear sound from the apps the digital input is working obviously, just no TV sound.

The TV does not seem to allow me to just watch TV or use Smarthub apps with the sound going out the same connection.

I played with trying to get ARC working but it also did not seem to take input from the cables HDMI and turn around and send that sound back up to the receiver. Then of course blocking that and sending the Smart Hub sound when those are active.

Would I have to have the cables HDMI input to the TV as say HDMI 1 then run yet another HDMI cable back to the receiver and put that in HDMI 4 ( the ARC HDMI connection) just to hear ARC sound? Would that give me both sound from TV and SmartHub apps without having to change inputs?

If so what good is ARC as far as trying to use one connection then. If you have to use two cables anyway why not just use a digital (optical) out.

I was using the digital out thinking it would work that way.
Perhaps you've never had a receiver before, but what you're trying to do doesn't make any sense...

Your cable box directly connected to the receiver should mean you pick that particular connection on the receiver. It will process the audio directly and then also pass the video on to the tv. Why on earth would you want to pass the audio to the tv and then back to the receiver again?

you want to use hdmi-4 on the one connect and have that be your only connection if you want to use ARC and not use the optical cable.

When you're using smart hub, your receiver should be set to the "tv" input. When using any other source that's connected to the receiver, you should be changing the receiver to that input. Using this setup, the tv will always either be on hdmi 4 or using a smart hub app.

#9,602 ·
Hey guys, I picked up a Samsung UN65JS8500 on Thanksgiving. So far I really really love it. Picture is awesome. Truly breathtaking watching some of the Youtube 4K content. I mean wow...

My issues is I cannot get sound from the smarthub apps AND TV (cable connection from the receiver) out the same connection.

I am outputting sound via the digital audio connection on the Connect One but I only hear sound when the Smart Hub apps are running, like Youtube. Normal TV is just silence when in this mode. I do see the image.

I have to switch my receiver to HDMI to hear sound from the TV, which when I do that I can hear the TV sound even when the apps are running.

I have the cablebox connected to the receiver then that out to the TV HDMI 4 input. I do not connect the cable box directly into the TV as the receiver is a pass through also allowing me to see the receivers information on screen.

It cannot be the receiver since when I have that set to listen to the digital input I can hear audio from the smart hb apps as I said. Since I hear sound from the apps the digital input is working obviously, just no TV sound.

The TV does not seem to allow me to just watch TV or use Smarthub apps with the sound going out the same connection.

I played with trying to get ARC working but it also did not seem to take input from the cables HDMI and turn around and send that sound back up to the receiver. Then of course blocking that and sending the Smart Hub sound when those are active.

Would I have to have the cables HDMI input to the TV as say HDMI 1 then run yet another HDMI cable back to the receiver and put that in HDMI 4 ( the ARC HDMI connection) just to hear ARC sound? Would that give me both sound from TV and SmartHub apps without having to change inputs?

If so what good is ARC as far as trying to use one connection then. If you have to use two cables anyway why not just use a digital (optical) out.

You have things set up the proper way to get the best quality out of your system. You want your cable and any blue-ray or game machines connected to the HDMI input ports of your receiver. Your HDMI out from your receiver should be going to HDMI 1 on the mini hub. You then want your digital audio from your mini hub to the receiver. I believe it is port 4 on the receiver (TV in). You will then just have to switch HDMI ports on the receiver to select the proper input. If you don't care about getting better than Dolby 5.1 out of you system you can connect all sources to the mini hub and run HDMI 4 on the mini hub to the HDMI out of the receiver thus enabling arc. Also, as you system is set up, you want to make sure that you have video on pass through in the receiver. You want to let the TV to the 4K processing.

#9,604 ·
I picked up a Samsung UN65JS8500 on Thanksgiving.I really really love it. I have a newbie question, how do i enable game mode on this when connecting to my ps4 or xbox one.

Menu>System>General>Game Mode

#9,605 ·
PLEASE HELP - Anyone with the Samsung JS8500 and the Onkyo 646 receiver...

I have had the Samsung TV for some months now and love it. I received my new Onkyo 646 receiver last week and would love to have the audio to from the TV to my Onkyo receiver via ARC. I believe that what it is for. I am very confused as to how to set it up. I see thought I just ran an HDMI cable from the HDMI 4 ARC port of the Samsung to any HDMI input port of the Onkyo, but now I am not sure. If anyone out their has this TV / receiver combo and successfully for ARC to work the please let me know what do. Thanks in advance.

#9,606 ·
You have things set up the proper way to get the best quality out of your system. You want your cable and any blue-ray or game machines connected to the HDMI input ports of your receiver. Your HDMI out from your receiver should be going to HDMI 1 on the mini hub. You then want your digital audio from your mini hub to the receiver. I believe it is port 4 on the receiver (TV in). You will then just have to switch HDMI ports on the receiver to select the proper input. If you don't care about getting better than Dolby 5.1 out of you system you can connect all sources to the mini hub and run HDMI 4 on the mini hub to the HDMI out of the receiver thus enabling arc. Also, as you system is set up, you want to make sure that you have video on pass through in the receiver. You want to let the TV to the 4K processing.
I thought we found that the optical also only returned 5.1?

If what you're saying is true, then I need to switch back over instead of using arc

#9,607 ·

I have had the Samsung TV for some months now and love it. I received my new Onkyo 646 receiver last week and would love to have the audio to from the TV to my Onkyo receiver via ARC. I believe that what it is for. I am very confused as to how to set it up. I see thought I just ran an HDMI cable from the HDMI 4 ARC port of the Samsung to any HDMI input port of the Onkyo, but now I am not sure. If anyone out their has this TV / receiver combo and successfully for ARC to work the please let me know what do. Thanks in advance.

Connect your TV to the HDMI OUT MAIN port on the receiver; per the manual it is labeled ARC. Then enable ARC/HDMI-CEC on the TV and the receiver.

#9,609 ·
Hi all,

This is my first post in AVS! This JS8500 is replacing a FH6030, so it's quite an upgrade for me. :D
Last BF I got a UN55JS8500 for $1500 after debating between this and the 7100. I guess having the S series is worth the small difference at that time since they don't cut the 7100 price that much...

Have some questions:
1. Setting it up for the first time, it was updating the software by itself, but until today, the last fw I got is 1422. Whenever I select Update Now, it kept saying that no new fw is available. So I downloaded 1431 using PC and a USB drive, and it was updated successfully. Anyone have the same issue? Also noticed that after the update, my settings are remained intact. I thought they're supposed to be reset.

2. I tried the Amazon Video app, but I'm never able to enjoy the 4k shows (I tried Alpha House, and also Mozart in the Jungle - which also should support HDR for samsung S series TVs), the best quality that I can get is 1080p. Netflix and Youtube 4k contents can be played flawlessly, so the issue is definitely not my internet speed. I thought that maybe it's because of the TV's firmware, but it still persists after the recent update to 1431. No available app update in SmartHub either. I also have tried reinstalling it, but still no luck. Any suggestion?

Thanks!

#9,613 ·
Hi all,

This is my first post in AVS! This JS8500 is replacing a FH6030, so it's quite an upgrade for me. :D
Last BF I got a UN55JS8500 for $1500 after debating between this and the 7100. I guess having the S series is worth the small difference at that time since they don't cut the 7100 price that much...

Have some questions:
1. Setting it up for the first time, it was updating the software by itself, but until today, the last fw I got is 1422. Whenever I select Update Now, it kept saying that no new fw is available. So I downloaded 1431 using PC and a USB drive, and it was updated successfully. Anyone have the same issue? Also noticed that after the update, my settings are remained intact. I thought they're supposed to be reset.

2. I tried the Amazon Video app, but I'm never able to enjoy the 4k shows (I tried Alpha House, and also Mozart in the Jungle - which also should support HDR for samsung S series TVs), the best quality that I can get is 1080p. Netflix and Youtube 4k contents can be played flawlessly, so the issue is definitely not my internet speed. I thought that maybe it's because of the TV's firmware, but it still persists after the recent update to 1431. No available app update in SmartHub either. I also have tried reinstalling it, but still no luck. Any suggestion?

Thanks!

Firmware updates, generally speaking, should not reset your settings. And Samsung rolls out firmware slowly, so the fact that you had to manually download 1431 is not unusual.

As to Amazon, make sure you are selecting the 4K version of the program you wish to watch. The app is VERY non-intuitive in that regard.

#9,614 ·
Mine had one stuck or hot pixel it was bright the whole time.

it got fix with a pixel fix video from youtube.
That's good, IMO stuck on pixels are worse than dead ones. In my experience dead pixels don't recover. If it were just the one spot it wouldn't even be noticeable, but it's the cluster of dim/dead ones that makes it visible. I'm not sure if it's worth an exchange or not, and it seems that there is a massive inventory shortage at the moment on the 65".

Are the small areas of flashlighting on bright scenes normal in the bottom corners? Those don't really bother me much but if the panel has multiple issues it might influence my decision.

#9,615 ·
just to clarify what others have said, ARC and Optical both ONLY put out DD 5.1 and DTS at most. neither will do any of the HD audio formats.

#9,616 ·

I have a TX-nr727 onkyo with this tv.

as others have mentioned, use HDMI4 ARC on the samsung one connect mini. This goes the the Onkyo MAIN (ARC) out HDMI connection.

In the samsung, make sure anynet+ is turned on, and audio output is set to bitstream and HD audio is enabled.

In the onkyo menu, make sure Onkyo's RHID CEC service is turned on. Then make sure the ARC/Audio return channel is enabled.

You will probably need to fully power everything off after making these changes, which means you will need to pull the plug on both as the best option. plug the receiver in and turn it on, then plug the tv in and turn it on.

After this, play an app on the tv.

I will note that doing this may cause undesired effects... the samsung will force the onkyo to the ARC "input", which is TV/CD about 20 seconds after power on in most cases. this means you will have to switch things manually if your cable box is connected to the receiver. A quick workaround is to plug it into the tv directly on HDMI3. For HD audio sources like bluray, you will want to plug those directly to the Onkyo.

Sorry, I'm not in front of the tv/avr right now and can't remember all the sources. if you look at the onkyo manual, you should be able to find all of these settings if you can't find them in the menu itself. PS: the onscreen display from the onkyo is MUCH easier to use than the front panel ;)

#9,617 ·

with everything connected to the receiver, you will have to assign an input on the receiver to use the optical connection and switch to that input every time you want to use smart apps or anything plugged into the tv directly.

if you want to use arc, you use: TV-HDMI4-ARC -> AVR-HDMI ARC/OUTPUT(whatever it is on the yamaha). enable arc in the yamaha and tv by turning on HDMI-CEC/ARV. If you leave everything plugged into the AVR, you will need to use the really crappy samsung ANYNET input switching, which is buried in the source menus, to select the cable box/blu-ray/whatever or directly access the avr using it's remote/input buttons. This method gets you slightly easier switching than with optical when using APPS. NOTE: your cable box may or may not support HDMI-CEC. if it doesn't, you cannot use ANYNET to switch to it and will have to use the receiver to manually switch HDMI inputs. not a big deal, but something to know. (i have a workaround using a $40 HDMI CEC adapter)

I currently have my cable box connected to HDMI3 on the TV. yes, I lose the AVR's on screen display, which SUCKS, but ARC works smoothly this way, my Harmony remote works better this way, and it's just generally worth it. Just keep the bluray players/etc... plugged direct into the AVR for better audio outputs. the cable box won't matter as it is unlikely that it can ever do more than DD 5.1

#9,618 ·
just to clarify what others have said, ARC and Optical both ONLY put out DD 5.1 and DTS at most. neither will do any of the HD audio formats.
So many people forget this. If you are paying "x" amount of money for a good receiver, use it. Plug everything directly to the receiver and from the receiver to the TV.

Hell even a lot of newer sound bars have HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 passthrough so you can do this.

#9,619 ·
#9,620 ·
Hi Everyone,

I picked up a 65in JS8500 a few weeks ago after reading through a number of comments on this thread, and so far its an awesome TV with the exception of a few things related to the backlight dimming. Some of this is just a shortcoming of the edge lit LED (which i understood going in), however, when watching a movie with "cinema black" enabled and in "movie" mode, I notice what seems like random pulses in the blacklight on the bottom black bar. 95% of the time both the top and bottom bars look to be an almost perfect black (in both dark or light scenes), but randomly it looks like the LEDs light up the bottom bar section, then fade back to black over a period of 2-3 seconds. It never happens on the top bar and does not seem to be related to whats on the screen (like always happening when there is a bright picture). Has anyone else seen this problem when watching movies in a dark room? Thanks in advance for any help.