Sony 2015 XBR-55X850C / XBR-65X850C / XBR-75X850C owners club - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 529Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 2853 Old 04-29-2015, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Quebec City, Canada
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 102
***OFFICIAL*** SONY 2015 XBR-55X850C / XBR-65X850C / XBR-75X850C owners club

Hi everyone !

Just started this thread for owners of the X850C series. I just received my 65" yesterday and I can say it looks pretty good after a couple of hours of testing.

I'm intrigued by the potential and risks of Android TV, it can be really positive, but it will depends so much on the reliability of the operating systems and applications. Let's see how this hold up in the next couple of weeks.

As of today, I'm pretty happy with what I've seen picture-wise on the TV, the color reproduction and screen uniformity seems very good.

I'm curious to hear the thoughts of other owners !

Some photos from Sony :







Specs (thanks to Itwillneverend) :

Product Highlights:
55” 65” & 75" screens (measured diagonally)
glossy screen, black bezel and Dark Chrome Mirror Flat shaft stand
Ultra High Definition TV with 4K screen resolution (3840 x 2160 pixels)
HEVC for watching streamed 4K content from sources like Netflix® and Amazon Instant Video (requires Internet speed of at least 20Mbps)
DIRECTV 4K Ready — DIRECTV subscribers with the Genie Whole-Home HD DVR can enjoy 4K service and full DVR features without an additional receiver
3D-ready TV (active 3D glasses sold separately)
Dynamic Edge LED backlight with frame dimming for excellent picture contrast and black levels
TRILUMINOS™ Display technology for a wider color range
Motionflow™ XR 960 blur reduction (120Hz refresh rate plus backlight scanning)
4K Processor X1 engine and 4K X-Reality™ Pro upscaler ensure the cleanest, clearest picture for all video sources
PlayStation™Now PS3™ game streaming (subscription and controller not included; details)
Internet-ready Android TV with Google Cast, voice search and Play Store apps
Netflix Recommended TV — offers a unique feature set that makes Netflix even easier to use and enjoy
fast built-in 802.11ac Wi-Fi® to link to a wireless network
video and music streaming from a DLNA-compatible Windows® PC
MHL-compatible HDMI input for viewing photos/videos from a compatible smartphone on the TV's screen
one-touch screen mirroring with Miracast™ enabled smartphones and tablets
tuner receives over-the-air HDTV broadcasts antenna required)
QAM cable TV tuner (subscription required to receive cable channels — contact your local service provider for details)
built-in down-firing speakers (10 watts x 2)
two remotes: a One-flick touchpad remote control, plus a standard IR remote
free downloadable apps for iOS® and Android™ let you use a compatible smartphone or tablet as a remote control

Connections and Dimensions:
6 A/V inputs, including:
4 HDMI 2.0 (all inputs are HDCP 2.2 compatible for connecting to 4K video sources)
1 component video (selectable component/composite)
1 composite video
RF input for antenna/cable signals
optical digital audio output
stereo minijack headphone output — can also be connected to a sound bar or other audio system
Ethernet port for a wired connection to a home network
3 USB inputs for connecting a camera or thumb drive
detachable stand
wall-mountable (bracket not included)
warranty: 1 year parts & labor — in-home service or pick-up for service

Steve - Blogger at http://www.nextgenhometheater.com

Home Theater: Onkyo TX-NR1030 7.2.4 - AudioSource AMP-100 - Cerwin Vega SL Series - Polk TC60i - Polk PSW125 subwoofers - Epson 8350 Projector - Sony Blu-ray - Toshiba HD-DVD
Living Room: HK AVR1700 - Polk RM10 5.1 - Polk PSW10 - Sony XBR-65X850C - Sony 3D Blu-ray

Last edited by SteveTheGeek; 05-14-2015 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Added photos for the look of the thread in search results and added specs
SteveTheGeek is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 2853 Old 04-29-2015, 08:08 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm out in Toronto but haven't been able to find the 55" anywhere - where did you happen to get yours?
David Stubbs is offline  
post #3 of 2853 Old 04-29-2015, 12:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 13,250
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 970 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #4 of 2853 Old 04-29-2015, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Quebec City, Canada
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Stubbs View Post
I'm out in Toronto but haven't been able to find the 55" anywhere - where did you happen to get yours?
Directly from Sony, I was lucky !

Steve - Blogger at http://www.nextgenhometheater.com

Home Theater: Onkyo TX-NR1030 7.2.4 - AudioSource AMP-100 - Cerwin Vega SL Series - Polk TC60i - Polk PSW125 subwoofers - Epson 8350 Projector - Sony Blu-ray - Toshiba HD-DVD
Living Room: HK AVR1700 - Polk RM10 5.1 - Polk PSW10 - Sony XBR-65X850C - Sony 3D Blu-ray
SteveTheGeek is online now  
post #5 of 2853 Old 04-30-2015, 12:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hi Steve,

I'm quite interested in buying the 65" 850c, and am waiting until our local retailer displays it so that I can at least have an idea of what it looks like. In the meantime I'd like to ask some questions that hopefully you can help with.

First, at least from what I've read, this TV is direct lit with frame dimming. If so, what's your opinion on that technology as compared to edge-lighting and edge-lighting with local dimming?

Secondly, how good is motion control? I'm sure there have to be at least a few judders, but is it improved over the 850b?

Third, how good is the upscaling from 1080i and 1080p material? Is it as good as the 850b was, or maybe better?

Finally, you probably won't be able to tell me about 3D performance, as this TV doesn't come with glasses, and you may not be interested in 3D, but I'm curious as to the active-shutter 3D performance of this model as opposed to the passive-shutter performance of the 2014 850b. If you have an opinion on this please feel free to share it.

Sorry for all the questions, but it looks like the 850c would be the best way for me to enter the world of 4k, and I'm trying to get as much owner input as possible. It's sold at a price that would allow me to sell it off in three or four years without taking a big financial loss as I buy into OLED technology, but would also give me a great 4k experience.

Thanks for any input you would be able to give.
4kfan is online now  
post #6 of 2853 Old 04-30-2015, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Quebec City, Canada
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kfan View Post
Hi Steve,

I'm quite interested in buying the 65" 850c, and am waiting until our local retailer displays it so that I can at least have an idea of what it looks like. In the meantime I'd like to ask some questions that hopefully you can help with.
Hi !

Some initial answers :

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kfan View Post
First, at least from what I've read, this TV is direct lit with frame dimming. If so, what's your opinion on that technology as compared to edge-lighting and edge-lighting with local dimming?
I'm personally happier from what I see in term of brightness uniformity than with the 850B. This is from a couple of hours with the TV, but it seems to me that there is way less clouding effects than on the 850B. I cannot tell you it's perfect though. I've seen the corners being darker on large white frames (movie logo, ads) and I did see some backlight clouding, but way less than the 850B which was really noticeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kfan View Post
Secondly, how good is motion control? I'm sure there have to be at least a few judders, but is it improved over the 850b?
From what I've seen I'm happy, it does look great. I could not really tell a huge difference from the 850B on this though to be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kfan View Post
Third, how good is the upscaling from 1080i and 1080p material? Is it as good as the 850b was, or maybe better?
As I've said in another thread, I had a couple of things worry me a lot at the beginning. I've seen some material be very ugly after upscale, something I never noticed on the 850B. But this was from highly compressed TV signals, from an original 720P signal probably. The DVD stuff I played from 480P and the Blu-rays I tried were great in term of upscale. Same thing from real 1080 HD signal from my set top box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kfan View Post
Finally, you probably won't be able to tell me about 3D performance, as this TV doesn't come with glasses, and you may not be interested in 3D, but I'm curious as to the active-shutter 3D performance of this model as opposed to the passive-shutter performance of the 2014 850b. If you have an opinion on this please feel free to share it.
I ordered two pairs of glasses, they will be there on Monday, I'll be able to tell your more. I felt the level of crosstalk on the 850B was really a letdown, but I did not try since the firmware update that's supposed to have fix this.

Steve - Blogger at http://www.nextgenhometheater.com

Home Theater: Onkyo TX-NR1030 7.2.4 - AudioSource AMP-100 - Cerwin Vega SL Series - Polk TC60i - Polk PSW125 subwoofers - Epson 8350 Projector - Sony Blu-ray - Toshiba HD-DVD
Living Room: HK AVR1700 - Polk RM10 5.1 - Polk PSW10 - Sony XBR-65X850C - Sony 3D Blu-ray
SteveTheGeek is online now  
post #7 of 2853 Old 04-30-2015, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
andy sullivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: sun city west AZ
Posts: 3,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 335
I'm pretty sure that this is the first Sony 3D TV that did not come with at least 2 pair of 3D glasses.
andy sullivan is offline  
post #8 of 2853 Old 04-30-2015, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
Dick W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 192
There's another thread running about what it costs the manufacturers to add 3D to a TV. I think this is Sony's way of telling people who want 3D what it was costing them.
Dick W is offline  
post #9 of 2853 Old 04-30-2015, 03:46 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTheGeek View Post
Hi !

Some initial answers :



I'm personally happier from what I see in term of brightness uniformity than with the 850B. This is from a couple of hours with the TV, but it seems to me that there is way less clouding effects than on the 850B. I cannot tell you it's perfect though. I've seen the corners being darker on large white frames (movie logo, ads) and I did see some backlight clouding, but way less than the 850B which was really noticeable.



From what I've seen I'm happy, it does look great. I could not really tell a huge difference from the 850B on this though to be honest.



As I've said in another thread, I had a couple of things worry me a lot at the beginning. I've seen some material be very ugly after upscale, something I never noticed on the 850B. But this was from highly compressed TV signals, from an original 720P signal probably. The DVD stuff I played from 480P and the Blu-rays I tried were great in term of upscale. Same thing from real 1080 HD signal from my set top box.



I ordered two pairs of glasses, they will be there on Monday, I'll be able to tell your more. I felt the level of crosstalk on the 850B was really a letdown, but I did not try since the firmware update that's supposed to have fix this.
Steve, thanks for the informative replies to my questions. As 4k programming will begin to increase by the end of this year with the release of 4k Blu-ray movies and specials, and greater fare from satellite and streaming sources, I'd like to look forward to viewing this technology in the near future.

The trick for a Home Theater enthusiast is knowing how to do so sensibly, as the future is very much up in the air. No one absolutely knows what that future may bring, but I'm pretty certain that within the next three to four years either OLED will be affordable and refined, or LED will be substantially improved, with FALD displays the norm. To me at least, it just doesn't make sense for a middle-income wage earner to over-spend today for what will almost certainly be old technology a few years down the road.

The 850c seems to be an excellent 4k TV, providing Sony quality at an affordable price. Selling this model off in the future will be far more convenient than if a person invested in a model such as the 940c. And while it's true that the 850c will never have HDR, it's also true that those 4k Blu-ray discs that have this feature included will have it permanently, obviously, so HDR really isn't an issue.
4kfan is online now  
post #10 of 2853 Old 04-30-2015, 09:07 PM
Member
 
ca4224's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Just bought the 55" x850c but have to wait till end of may likely....

Would like to know how Google Cast performs in terms of picture quality.

Also, for anyone that gets the 55", how uniformity and edge bleed is considering this model is edge lit.
ca4224 is offline  
post #11 of 2853 Old 05-01-2015, 04:04 AM
Member
 
mrbeefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just wanted to know how is the off axis viewing on this tv.
mrbeefer is offline  
post #12 of 2853 Old 05-01-2015, 04:10 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Quebec City, Canada
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbeefer View Post
Just wanted to know how is the off axis viewing on this tv.
I have no complains on this. I have my second sofa that is at a pretty steep angle and I'm looking at it right now and it's good.

Steve - Blogger at http://www.nextgenhometheater.com

Home Theater: Onkyo TX-NR1030 7.2.4 - AudioSource AMP-100 - Cerwin Vega SL Series - Polk TC60i - Polk PSW125 subwoofers - Epson 8350 Projector - Sony Blu-ray - Toshiba HD-DVD
Living Room: HK AVR1700 - Polk RM10 5.1 - Polk PSW10 - Sony XBR-65X850C - Sony 3D Blu-ray
SteveTheGeek is online now  
post #13 of 2853 Old 05-01-2015, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Quebec City, Canada
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca4224 View Post
Just bought the 55" x850c but have to wait till end of may likely....

Would like to know how Google Cast performs in terms of picture quality.

Also, for anyone that gets the 55", how uniformity and edge bleed is considering this model is edge lit.
The only thing I tested with Cast is Youtube streaming, which works well. I'm just sad there is no way to confirm or not if the stream is really playing in 4K...

Steve - Blogger at http://www.nextgenhometheater.com

Home Theater: Onkyo TX-NR1030 7.2.4 - AudioSource AMP-100 - Cerwin Vega SL Series - Polk TC60i - Polk PSW125 subwoofers - Epson 8350 Projector - Sony Blu-ray - Toshiba HD-DVD
Living Room: HK AVR1700 - Polk RM10 5.1 - Polk PSW10 - Sony XBR-65X850C - Sony 3D Blu-ray
SteveTheGeek is online now  
post #14 of 2853 Old 05-01-2015, 06:28 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: London
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi

I pre-ordered the KD65X8509CBU here in the UK. Is it the same model?

I have a few questions if that's ok!

- Does it have a webcam? If not, can I plug one in?
- Is the upscaling from 720 really that bad? I saw a 720 signal on the 2014 model and it looked really bad.
- Does it come with the one-flick remote?
- Do you have a sound bar? Do you think I could put the sound bar behind the stand to keep it out the way?
- Have you tried Netflix 4k and Amazon 4k yet? Are they as standard and ready to go?

Thanks

Jonny
jonny_guitar is offline  
post #15 of 2853 Old 05-01-2015, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Quebec City, Canada
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny_guitar View Post
Hi

I pre-ordered the KD65X8509CBU here in the UK. Is it the same model?

I have a few questions if that's ok!

- Does it have a webcam? If not, can I plug one in?
- Is the upscaling from 720 really that bad? I saw a 720 signal on the 2014 model and it looked really bad.
- Does it come with the one-flick remote?
- Do you have a sound bar? Do you think I could put the sound bar behind the stand to keep it out the way?
- Have you tried Netflix 4k and Amazon 4k yet? Are they as standard and ready to go?

Thanks

Jonny
Hi !

No idea if it is the same exact model, but it does look like the same.

- It does not have a webcam, compared to the 850B that did have one it's kind of a letdown. There is not Skype app available yet so I cannot test if any camera is compatible.

- It's not really good I gotta say... But it seems to vary from source to source. I cannot say it's better than on the 2014 models honestly.

- Yes it does come with the one-flick remote.

- I don't have a sound bar, but putting it behind the stand would almost mean putting it behind the TV. The stand creates only a little bit more than 2 inches of vertical space between the furniture and the bottom of the TV bezel.

- I did not have a chance to try either as Amazon is not available in Canada and the Netflix app is not there yet.

Let me know if you have more questions !

Steve - Blogger at http://www.nextgenhometheater.com

Home Theater: Onkyo TX-NR1030 7.2.4 - AudioSource AMP-100 - Cerwin Vega SL Series - Polk TC60i - Polk PSW125 subwoofers - Epson 8350 Projector - Sony Blu-ray - Toshiba HD-DVD
Living Room: HK AVR1700 - Polk RM10 5.1 - Polk PSW10 - Sony XBR-65X850C - Sony 3D Blu-ray
SteveTheGeek is online now  
post #16 of 2853 Old 05-01-2015, 07:09 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: London
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTheGeek View Post
Hi !

No idea if it is the same exact model, but it does look like the same.

- It does not have a webcam, compared to the 850B that did have one it's kind of a letdown. There is not Skype app available yet so I cannot test if any camera is compatible.

- It's not really good I gotta say... But it seems to vary from source to source. I cannot say it's better than on the 2014 models honestly.

- Yes it does come with the one-flick remote.

- I don't have a sound bar, but putting it behind the stand would almost mean putting it behind the TV. The stand creates only a little bit more than 2 inches of vertical space between the furniture and the bottom of the TV bezel.

- I did not have a chance to try either as Amazon is not available in Canada and the Netflix app is not there yet.

Let me know if you have more questions !
Thanks Steve!!

Really sad to read the upscaling isn't so good, esp after reading all the hype around the X1 chip. What are your sources? Here in the UK is mostly 720p Satellite feeds.

Can you install any old Android app you like? Sounds like it has to be a specific "Android TV" app...?

Surprised that Netflix isn't available yet. Slightly worrying...

Have you tried a PS4 on it?

Thanks Steve the geek!
jonny_guitar is offline  
post #17 of 2853 Old 05-01-2015, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Carlos_E's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,406
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1191 Post(s)
Liked: 1061
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTheGeek View Post
The only thing I tested with Cast is Youtube streaming, which works well. I'm just sad there is no way to confirm or not if the stream is really playing in 4K...
In the Netflix app if you hit the display button on the remote it will show the resolution in the top right corner. Have you tried that for the YouTube app? It should show 2160p for 4K. The Amazon app shows UHD.
Carlos_E is offline  
post #18 of 2853 Old 05-01-2015, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Quebec City, Canada
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_E View Post
In the Netflix app if you hit the display button on the remote it will show the resolution in the top right corner. Have you tried that for the YouTube app? It should show 2160p for 4K. The Amazon app shows UHD.
Sadly it does not work for the Youtube App, it did not work either on the 2014 models.

Steve - Blogger at http://www.nextgenhometheater.com

Home Theater: Onkyo TX-NR1030 7.2.4 - AudioSource AMP-100 - Cerwin Vega SL Series - Polk TC60i - Polk PSW125 subwoofers - Epson 8350 Projector - Sony Blu-ray - Toshiba HD-DVD
Living Room: HK AVR1700 - Polk RM10 5.1 - Polk PSW10 - Sony XBR-65X850C - Sony 3D Blu-ray
SteveTheGeek is online now  
post #19 of 2853 Old 05-01-2015, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Quebec City, Canada
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny_guitar View Post
Thanks Steve!!

Really sad to read the upscaling isn't so good, esp after reading all the hype around the X1 chip. What are your sources? Here in the UK is mostly 720p Satellite feeds.

Can you install any old Android app you like? Sounds like it has to be a specific "Android TV" app...?

Surprised that Netflix isn't available yet. Slightly worrying...

Have you tried a PS4 on it?

Thanks Steve the geek!
The 720P material is from my cable provider. It's not that bad you know, as I said it REALLY seem to depend on the source material. Some channels are great, but when they are too much compressed by the cable provider (the one I have does that a lot to have more channels on their limited bandwidth because of VOD channels) then you see issues.

The apps need to be flagged as Android TV compatible, so it's only a subset of the Chrome Store.

Netflix is not there but there is a message from Sony saying multiple apps (including their own) will be there starting in May, so they should be there soon.

I did try both the PS4 and XBox One and I'm very happy with what I see.

Steve - Blogger at http://www.nextgenhometheater.com

Home Theater: Onkyo TX-NR1030 7.2.4 - AudioSource AMP-100 - Cerwin Vega SL Series - Polk TC60i - Polk PSW125 subwoofers - Epson 8350 Projector - Sony Blu-ray - Toshiba HD-DVD
Living Room: HK AVR1700 - Polk RM10 5.1 - Polk PSW10 - Sony XBR-65X850C - Sony 3D Blu-ray
SteveTheGeek is online now  
post #20 of 2853 Old 05-01-2015, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
ggw2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 563
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny_guitar View Post
Hi

I pre-ordered the KD65X8509CBU here in the UK. Is it the same model?

I have a few questions if that's ok!


- Is the upscaling from 720 really that bad? I saw a 720 signal on the 2014 model and it looked really bad.
?

Thanks

Jonny
Garbage in - garbage out! Upscalers are unfortunately not miracle devices.
SteveTheGeek likes this.
ggw2000 is offline  
post #21 of 2853 Old 05-01-2015, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dalto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny_guitar View Post

Really sad to read the upscaling isn't so good, esp after reading all the hype around the X1 chip. What are your sources? Here in the UK is mostly 720p Satellite feeds.
The problem with some cable/satellite feeds(at least in the US) is that they sometimes aren't very good quality to begin with. The fact that it is 720p is probably not the issue. The fact that it was over compressed or poorly transmitted has a bigger impact on quality. Often times, the cable/sat provider is also scaling the image poorly.

With a crappy source my expectations for the scalar is that it display at least as good as it did on the 1080p TV. If a questionable 720p feed looks worse on the 4K TV then it does on a quality 1080p TV of the same size than I would say you have a problem with the scalar.
dalto is online now  
post #22 of 2853 Old 05-01-2015, 10:08 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Will be picking up my XBR-55X850C tomorrow

I am picking up my 55X850C from G&G tomorrow. Bought this on recommendation and have been pouring over the specs over the last few weeks while waiting for it. Is there difference to the X900C series or is just the cabinet (thin profile)? I don't wan't to miss out on any of the bells and whistles.
Gunslinger_11 is offline  
post #23 of 2853 Old 05-01-2015, 10:47 AM
Member
 
mrbeefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTheGeek View Post
I have no complains on this. I have my second sofa that is at a pretty steep angle and I'm looking at it right now and it's good.
Thank you.
mrbeefer is offline  
post #24 of 2853 Old 05-01-2015, 11:44 AM
Member
 
ca4224's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger_11 View Post
I am picking up my 55X850C from G&G tomorrow. Bought this on recommendation and have been pouring over the specs over the last few weeks while waiting for it. Is there difference to the X900C series or is just the cabinet (thin profile)? I don't wan't to miss out on any of the bells and whistles.
I've only heard the 900c having the thinner profile...may have an IPS panel?

Since you're getting the 55" 850C with VA panel edge lit, would love to know what you think of viewing angle, contrast, black level, and uniformity. I'm also getting the 55" but wont arrive until end of May/early June
ca4224 is offline  
post #25 of 2853 Old 05-01-2015, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Carlos_E's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,406
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1191 Post(s)
Liked: 1061
2015 4K Firmware updates have been posted.

Release Date: 4/30/2015
Version: PKG2.073.0010NAB

Sony has designed the BRAVIA® Televisions software update process to be customer friendly. This software update (version PKG2.073.0010NAB) provides the following benefits:
Supports Internet based EPG (Electronic program guide)
Supports Netflix® streaming service (2K Models Only)
Supports Amazon, Pandora®, and Crackle™ applications
Supports Force Reboot by holding down the Power key on the BT or IR remote controller
Improves performance and stability of overall UI operation
Improves performance and stability of the Action Menu
Improves general performance of the TV
Improves Wi-Fi connectivity of the TV
Carlos_E is offline  
post #26 of 2853 Old 05-01-2015, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Quebec City, Canada
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quick note, I order the Asus Gamepad for Nexus Player (https://store.google.com/product/nexus_player_gamepad) to use as a controller for the TV and it does work very well !

I'm going to test with some gamepad games for Android TV and report back.

I know the TV is supposed to support the Dualshock for Playstation Now, but right now there is nothing allowing to connect it, so let's wait when this will be possible !

Steve - Blogger at http://www.nextgenhometheater.com

Home Theater: Onkyo TX-NR1030 7.2.4 - AudioSource AMP-100 - Cerwin Vega SL Series - Polk TC60i - Polk PSW125 subwoofers - Epson 8350 Projector - Sony Blu-ray - Toshiba HD-DVD
Living Room: HK AVR1700 - Polk RM10 5.1 - Polk PSW10 - Sony XBR-65X850C - Sony 3D Blu-ray
SteveTheGeek is online now  
post #27 of 2853 Old 05-01-2015, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Quebec City, Canada
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Update : tried the controller with a couple of games, it works well.

But the framerate on the couple of games available is terrible. I know this is not supposed to be a PS4, but when Minion Rush slows down so much, that's clearly a letdown...

I know the game developers did not have access to the TVs yet, I hope they will be able to adjust this and that it's not the TV CPU that makes it flawed compared to the Nexus player.

Steve - Blogger at http://www.nextgenhometheater.com

Home Theater: Onkyo TX-NR1030 7.2.4 - AudioSource AMP-100 - Cerwin Vega SL Series - Polk TC60i - Polk PSW125 subwoofers - Epson 8350 Projector - Sony Blu-ray - Toshiba HD-DVD
Living Room: HK AVR1700 - Polk RM10 5.1 - Polk PSW10 - Sony XBR-65X850C - Sony 3D Blu-ray

Last edited by SteveTheGeek; 05-01-2015 at 04:13 PM.
SteveTheGeek is online now  
post #28 of 2853 Old 05-02-2015, 06:24 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca4224 View Post
I've only heard the 900c having the thinner profile...may have an IPS panel?

Since you're getting the 55" 850C with VA panel edge lit, would love to know what you think of viewing angle, contrast, black level, and uniformity. I'm also getting the 55" but wont arrive until end of May/early June
I am quite impressed with the picture quality. Out of the box, I have watched Guardians of the Galaxy (quite a dark movie) and the black levels are quite good. Side angle viewing at about 45 degrees is quite good.

Overall I am impressed.

Upscaling is good.. SD television looks ok but kind of looks off in terms of colour and dimension, but overall it is good.

XBOX one games are fantastic!

Haven't seen any 4k sources yet.

Will post more as I go through eh setup and calibration.
ca4224 and SteveTheGeek like this.
Gunslinger_11 is offline  
post #29 of 2853 Old 05-02-2015, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
unknownuser200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,362
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 402
so how are upscaling on hd tv channels
unknownuser200 is online now  
post #30 of 2853 Old 05-03-2015, 09:29 AM
Member
 
ca4224's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger_11 View Post
I am quite impressed with the picture quality. Out of the box, I have watched Guardians of the Galaxy (quite a dark movie) and the black levels are quite good. Side angle viewing at about 45 degrees is quite good.

Overall I am impressed.

Upscaling is good.. SD television looks ok but kind of looks off in terms of colour and dimension, but overall it is good.

XBOX one games are fantastic!

Haven't seen any 4k sources yet.

Will post more as I go through eh setup and calibration.
Good to hear! Definitely continue to post your review/observations of the tv
ca4224 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off