AVS Forum banner

2015 Samsung SEK-3500U/ZA Evolution Kit

2M views 24K replies 991 participants last post by  SaberJet 
#1 ·
Since this is the "Next Big Thing" I thought I would start a new thread. 3-2-1-GO!

#16,662 ·
I know this has probably been posted before but I just got the Samsung UBD-K8500 setup in my system and was wondering if someone could help me with tv settings on my Samsung UN75HU8550 with SEK 3500 to watch HDR UHD Blu Ray disks?

#16,663 ·
Jonboy,

Hey again! Ran through the JS mod again on my 8550, but this time, I changed the "Front Panel" setting to U-UHD-9K based on what I happened to find below from jrref (thanks, man!):

And wouldn't you know, Vudu now reports the set as a JS9000! I changed the same setting on my F9000 just to see if it would work without anything else changing, and it did. I'll be evaluating the pictures on both over the next few days to see if the info above is true for my sets as well, but I hope this trick works for you and anyone else. Still silly that we have to mod our TVs to get HDR, but so be it if models below the JS9000 are excluded for whatever reason.

This is the Front Color setting in the ASM?

#16,664 · (Edited)
This is the Front Color setting in the ASM?
Yes, sir, it is! I was really surprised that it would work; and since that's the only thing I did differently, I'm assuming it must have done the trick.

Taking things a step further, I went into the ASM one more time to change the Front Color to U-T-CL-M68, which is the default code for the HU9000. By numerous accounts in this and other threads, the M68 code really makes a difference (versus the default for other TVs) in terms of overall contrast, brightness, and black levels. When I changed the code in both the 8550 and the F9000, I still had to re-enter my passwords for Vudu and Amazon, but Vudu still reported both sets as JS9000s. I'm glad I did because I see a better picture with all my shows, especially ones like Gotham and Thrones that thrive on night scenes. Others like Legends of Tomorrow really pop with all the pyrotechnics (literally!). The NBA Playoffs on TNT, TBS, and ABC look stunning as well, as do other sports, so I think I am DONE going into the ASM for a long time. To my eyes, using M68 produces better results than the U-UHD-9K code I was using earlier this week.

#16,665 ·
I know this has probably been posted before but I just got the Samsung UBD-K8500 setup in my system and was wondering if someone could help me with tv settings on my Samsung UN75HU8550 with SEK 3500 to watch HDR UHD Blu Ray disks?
As a heads up to other members, @sonofsoren PM'd on April 28th and over the course of the next week we had the following exchange posted below and now he has taken to cross-posting his request for help in multiple threads except for the obvious one.

Believe it or not this topic has been covered extensively in the
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...r-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player-owner-s-thread.html thread.

If you are going to ask for help you could at least take the time to post YOUR settings for both your TV and K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player and articulate what anomolies you are having to see what others might suggest rather than making them start at square one!

Once again another apparent case where a member feels their time is too valuable to search and read threads.

________________________________​

April 28th 1:59pm
sonofsoren said:
Musician,
I recently purchased this player and was wondering if you would recommend what settings I need to get it looking it's best. I will have it going through a Marantz AV8802A to a Samsung SEK-3500 evolution kit to a Samsung UN75HU8550 tv. Thanks in advance for your help.
Thank you,
Stephen
April 28th 2:56pm
Musician said:
Sure.

Use Method 2 to hook it up using 2 HDMI cables in order to use my little BD Wise trick that has the player automatically set the Resolution depending on the disk.

Here ya go...

UN78HU9000

Picture Mode: Movie *
Backlight: 8
Contrast: 92
Brightness: 45
Sharpness: 5
Color: 45
Tint: G50/R50

Dynamic Contrast: Medium
Black Tone: Off
Flesh Tone: 0
Color Space: Native
Gamma: 2

Color Tone: Warm 2
Digital Clean View: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
HDMI Black Level: Auto
HDMI UHD Color: On
Film Mode: Off

Auto Motion Plus: Clear

Smart LED: High
Cinema Black: On

* Make sure Menu > System > General > BD Wise is turned OFF in the TV settings

UBD-K8500

Picture
Picture Mode: Default

3D Settings
  • 3D Blu-ray Playback: Auto
  • Size: 78"

TV Aspect Ratio: 16:9 Original
BD Wise: On
Resolution: BD Wise
Movie Frame (24Fs): Auto
DVD 24Fs Conversion: Off
Fit Screen Size Size : 4
HDMI Color Format: YCbCr(4:4:4)
HDMI Deep Color: Off

Sound
Digital Output (Uncompressed): Bitstream
PCM Downsampling: Off
Dynamic Range Control: Off
Downmixing Mode: Surround Comp.
DTS Neo:6 Mode: Off
Audio Sync: 0 ms
HDMI Audio Output: Auto

System
Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC): ___

Note: A few of the above settings may be different depending on your particular equipment, screen size, wiring, and configuration choices.
April 28th @ 4:15pm
sonofsoren said:
Thank you! I can't wait to get this player up and running! I'll report back on the thread my findings.
Thanks again,
Stephen
April 28th 4:44pm
Musician said:
Sounds great.

Now if you like my settings tell the world how wonderful they are. But if by chance you don't like em, keep your trap shut! Haha.
:D
April 28th 5:10pm
sonofsoren said:
Only glowing praise of course - got it:)
April 30th 10:30am
sonofsoren said:
Thanks for all the info on setting up the player. I had an additional question. Do you know anything about modifying a Samsung SEK-3500 with a UN75HU8550 to think it is a JS8500 to get Amazon and Netflix HDR content? I was looking through the forums for setting in the service menu but could not find anything specific. Thanks in advance for your help!
April 30th 2:31pm
Musician said:
Yep, I know all about the hack. Don't! Repeat don't.

It has the potential to brick your SEK and void the warranty on your beautiful 75 inch HU8550. In the last week I know of two guys who bricked their boxes. One managed to get theirs back working while the other guy is out $400 bucks because they had to go out and replace it.

At best it is only going to allow you to view Amazon HDR but eventually they may offer it to HU + SEK anyways. From what I understand there isn't much HDR content on Amazon anyways.

As for Netflix the only Samsung sets that are getting HDR from them are the 2016 KS series but from what I hear through the grapevine is that this will be rolling out to JS and HU + SEK as early as June.

Now that you own the K8500 player you might be interested to know that UHD BD is capable of over 108+ Mbps versus the aforementioned apps that only provide 16 Mbps.

Cheers
April 30th 9:17pm
sonofsoren said:
Thanks for the tip! I think I will pass on modifying my sek-3500 to the JS model as you recommend. That would be great if they eventually allow the HDR streaming from Amazon and Netflix. Until then, I can enjoy the 8500 UHD blu ray disks and get HDR from them. Thanks again for the sound advice.
May 3rd 6:07pm
sonofsoren said:
Hello Musician. I was also wondering if you recommend using both hdmi outputs from the K8500, one for the sek 3500 and one for my preamp? I have a Marantz AV8802A with hdmi 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 compliance so don't know if/what benefits there are to running two hdmi outs. Also, saw that folks are reporting getting Amazon HDR out of the K8500 to their sek 3500s - any luck on your end with this?
Thank you,
Stephen
May 4th 6:33am
Musician said:
Running 2 HDMI's gives you the the following main advantages:

- you can use separate settings for your BD Player input. Especially important that Color Space be set to Native for this input and Auto for any other inputs

- as stated previously, allows you to have BD Wise turned ON in the player (but lesve it OFF on the TV) so that the Resolution is set automatically to 1080p or 2160p depending on disk type

Regarding Amazon, aren't you glad you waited instead of hacking your SEK-3500 :)

If you have more questions about the Amazon app, you should probably post these on the K8500 thread for a couple of reasons. We don't get it in Canada and secondly, I am on vacation in Mexico.
:D
May 4th 1:14pm
sonofsoren said:
Got it - just wanted to contact someone I trusted on avsforums:) Thanks for your help! Have a good time on vacation in Mexico!

#16,667 · (Edited)
Just got the word! If you're on Santa's Good list - you get 1453. If you're on Santa's not so good list, you get 1452. If you're on Santa's really naughty list, you get 1440.4!

!453 might be a NA only update.

Also curious, KS series new FW is 1453 ? (KS Mod ?)

No SEK-4500U, so us old timers can't do a KS Mod!

#16,668 ·
As a heads up to other members, @sonofsoren PM'd on April 28th and over the course of the next week we had the following exchange posted below and now he has taken to cross-posting his request for help in multiple threads except for the obvious one.

Believe it or not this topic has been covered extensively in the
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...r-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player-owner-s-thread.html thread.

If you are going to ask for help you could at least take the time to post YOUR settings for both your TV and K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player and articulate what anomolies you are having to see what others might suggest rather than making them start at square one!

Once again another apparent case where a member feels their time is too valuable to search and read threads.

________________________________​

April 28th 1:59pm

April 28th 2:56pm

April 28th @ 4:15pm

April 28th 4:44pm

April 28th 5:10pm

April 30th 10:30am

April 30th 2:31pm

April 30th 9:17pm

May 3rd 6:07pm

May 4th 6:33am

May 4th 1:14pm
Musician,
I did not mean to upset you and appreciate your help very much, and I highly value your opinions. I was finally able to set up my Samsung UBD-K8500 today and used the following setting that you provided to me:
UBD-K8500

Picture

3D Settings

3D Blu-Ray Playback: Auto
Size: 75"

Fit Screen Size: 4
HDMI Color Format: YCbCr (4:4:4)

Sound

Digital Output: (Uncompressed): Bitstream

System
Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC): On

My calibrated settings are:

UN75HU8550

Picture Mode: Movie
Backlight: 9
Contrast: 95
Sharpness: 0
Color: 50

Advanced Settings Sub Menu

Dynamic Contrast: Off
RGB Only Mode: Off
Color Space: Custom
White Balance: Gamma: -1

Picture Options Sub Menu

Film Mode: Auto 1
Auto Motion Plus: Off
Smart LED: Off

I did search through the various threads and did see where some people were putting the backlighting to 20 and contrast to 100 and turning off BDWise on the TV and selecting Movie Mode. Since we had different displays, I was just wondering if it was recommended to change any of my settings on my 8550 tv with SEK-3500 before watching my first UHD Blu Ray tonight (Revenant). Once I have watched my first UHD Blu Ray, I will report back up on how it looked with my settings.

#16,669 ·
Yes, sir, it is! I was really surprised that it would work; and since that's the only thing I did differently, I'm assuming it must have done the trick.

Taking things a step further, I went into the ASM one more time to change the Front Color to U-T-CL-M68, which is the default code for the HU9000. By numerous accounts in this and other threads, the M68 code really makes a difference (versus the default for other TVs) in terms of overall contrast, brightness, and black levels. When I changed the code in both the 8550 and the F9000, I still had to re-enter my passwords for Vudu and Amazon, but Vudu still reported both sets as JS9000s. I'm glad I did because I see a better picture with all my shows, especially ones like Gotham and Thrones that thrive on night scenes. Others like Legends of Tomorrow really pop with all the pyrotechnics (literally!). The NBA Playoffs on TNT, TBS, and ABC look stunning as well, as do other sports, so I think I am DONE going into the ASM for a long time. To my eyes, using M68 produces better results than the U-UHD-9K code I was using earlier this week.
Just got a Samsung service remote and set up the JS mod wth the M68 font color. It does look great! Thanks! Going to leave it set like that.

#16,671 ·

That did not work for me. VUDU still shows HU8550. At any rate, I'll leave it at M68 and see if if PQ looks any better. Curious to know if any of these will make my 3D look better? My 3d looks horrible. Either the foreground or the background has ghosting. I can't get it lined up so the entire screen looks good.

#16,672 ·
So I've been reading about the "mod" you can do to a HU9000 set to basically make it think its a JS9500 (or whatever the model is) set.

Why would I want to do this? Is there something I'm not understanding? What would the benefit be by doing this mod? I know going in and messing with the service menu settings can REALLY screw up your set so I want to find out why so many people have done this mod and why.

TIA!

#16,673 ·
So I've been reading about the "mod" you can do to a HU9000 set to basically make it think its a JS9500 (or whatever the model is) set.

Why would I want to do this? Is there something I'm not understanding? What would the benefit be by doing this mod? I know going in and messing with the service menu settings can REALLY screw up your set so I want to find out why so many people have done this mod and why.

TIA!
Initial/primary reason was to "fool" Amazon into providing HDR. Amazon's intention is to provide UHD HDR to Samsung 2015 JS model sets; although the 2013/2014 UHD sets with the SEK-3500 have the capability to process and show the HDR metadata. Purpose of the mod is to communicate to Amazon that video is being requested by a JS model and thereby "fool" Amazon into providing the HDR video.

#16,674 ·
SEK-2500 vs SEK-3500 Connection Cable

It was 10 ft long with both the 2013 One Connect and the SEK-2500u so expect the SEK-3500u will be the same. As per the first two, we were never able to order a longer cable. Maybe they will have one this time but I don't think so unfortunately.
Can anyone confirm whether or not you can use the same connection cable from the SEK-2500 to connect the SEK-3500 to the tv? I was hoping I wouldn't have to pull my new cable through the wall when I receive my 3500 this Friday!

#16,675 · (Edited)
Musician,
I did not mean to upset you and appreciate your help very much, and I highly value your opinions. I was finally able to set up my Samsung UBD-K8500 today and used the following setting that you provided to me:

UBD-K8500

Picture

3D Settings

3D Blu-Ray Playback: Auto
Size: 75"

Fit Screen Size: 4
HDMI Color Format: YCbCr (4:4:4)

Sound

Digital Output: (Uncompressed): Bitstream

System
Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC): On

My calibrated settings are:

UN75HU8550

Picture Mode: Movie
Backlight: 9
Contrast: 95
Sharpness: 0
Color: 50

Advanced Settings Sub Menu

Dynamic Contrast: Off
RGB Only Mode: Off
Color Space: Custom
White Balance: Gamma: -1

Picture Options Sub Menu

Film Mode: Auto 1
Auto Motion Plus: Off
Smart LED: Off

I did search through the various threads and did see where some people were putting the backlighting to 20 and contrast to 100 and turning off BDWise on the TV and selecting Movie Mode. Since we had different displays, I was just wondering if it was recommended to change any of my settings on my 8550 tv with SEK-3500 before watching my first UHD Blu Ray tonight (Revenant). Once I have watched my first UHD Blu Ray, I will report back up on how it looked with my settings.
Nice try! How would anybody be able to recommend changes to your settings if they didn't know what your settings were since you didn't bother providing them yesterday? Nor were they privy to our Private Messages where amongst other things, I provided you with my settings which are used by many owners of the UBD-K8500?

If you have spent any length of time in the K8500 thread or, better yet, actually played a UHD disk in the weeks since aquiring your player you would see that it's not a matter of people "putting the backlighting to 20 and contrast to 100" -- rather this happens automatically when playing a UHD disk encoded with HDR.

As for BD Wise, I already covered this on April 28th by telling you that I use Movie mode on the TV and to make sure BD Wise is turned off on the TV by doing the following:

Make sure Menu > System > General > BD Wise is turned OFF in the TV settings

It's one thing helping people but it's another thing people not helping themselves by at least making some attempt to try things BEFORE asking the same questions over again and wasting other members time!
:rolleyes:

Reactions: Rudy1
#16,676 ·
Can anyone confirm whether or not you can use the same connection cable from the SEK-2500 to connect the SEK-3500 to the tv? I was hoping I wouldn't have to pull my new cable through the wall when I receive my 3500 this Friday!
It can't hurt to try it first with the SEK-2500 cable. Make sure you follow recommended procedures to install the SEK-3500U.

Namely:

1. Update the firmware on your TV. Next,
2. Menu > System > Evolution Kit Backup.
3. Completely power down your TV. Unplug the power cord and depress the (joystick) power button on the back of your set to insure that all power is dissipated. Remove the SEK-2500U.
4. Connect the SEK-3500 to your TV and reconnect the electrical power cord.
5. Connect antenna, ethernet, hdmi and usb cables directly to the SEK-3500.
6. Turn on the tv and follow directions.
7. If you are using a bluetooth remote, you may need to (re)pair it to your TV.

Additionally, some have reported that issues with wifi on the set are remedied by changing the DNS from automatic to 8.8.8.8

#16,677 ·
Just got a Samsung service remote and set up the JS mod wth the M68 font color. It does look great! Thanks! Going to leave it set like that.
Happy to hear this works for you, doctorwizz! It's curious that the front color mode from a 2014 TV seems to be better than those from later models. I saw the difference immediately, so yeah, I'm also sticking with this for the foreseeable future.

#16,678 ·
Update and Amazon
I have been on order for a month with Samsung and this morning I got an email telling me the SEK3500U is still on back order and it will be 6-11-16 before they will have more. I ordered from Amazon this morning and when I get the shipping confirmation I am cancelling the order with Samsung. Even though the website says they don't charge your card until the item ships, Samsung hit my Paypal account and it showed up on my card the day I ordered. I will have to get a credit from them.

#16,680 ·
That did not work for me. VUDU still shows HU8550. At any rate, I'll leave it at M68 and see if if PQ looks any better. Curious to know if any of these will make my 3D look better? My 3d looks horrible. Either the foreground or the background has ghosting. I can't get it lined up so the entire screen looks good.
I have yet to test 3D, mainly because I've been sampling as much 2D content as possible for the improved picture. There are quite a few settings in the 3D menu that I've always found tricky to get right because 3D Blu-ray players have their own settings that may override them (similar to the many threads about which Deep Color/UHD Color settings are best for both sources). Think I'll try an animated one and a live-action one soon to see if my latest venture into the ASM caused any problems.

As for VUDU not being a team player...before my last JS mod, I did a factory reset in the ASM before selecting JS9000 in MRT and U-T-CL-M68 for front color. Could be that the reset alone or all of these forced VUDU to recognize the mod, so I'd give that a try. FWIW, I think HDX is the closest streaming equivalent to Blu-ray, so I don't get why they don't have non-HDR 4K content like everyone else. Can't see them making more money on people who own Dolby Vision-capable sets vs everyone else who'd love to rent/buy standard 4K movies but can't. Sales of 65" and 120" Vizio Reference Series TVs must be through the roof, lol!