AVS Forum banner

2015 Samsung SEK-3500U/ZA Evolution Kit

2M views 24K replies 991 participants last post by  SaberJet 
#1 ·
Since this is the "Next Big Thing" I thought I would start a new thread. 3-2-1-GO!

#2 ·
#3 ·
Ok, I got my SEK2500U/ZA at Sparco, cuz they were the cheapest. So getting the SEK3500U/ZA at Sparco is a no brainer for me.

ETA of Kit is May 15, 2015

http://www.sparco.com/cgi-bin/wfind2?spn=A2UY118#.VUe7CPlVhBf
I ordered directly from Samsung this time given the fiasco of last year's. The only other reason I didn't order from Sparco is that they aren't listed on the authorized reseller list, which doesn't mean they aren't but as I said last year has me squirrelly.

Reactions: majicx and priuscat
#4 ·
I ordered directly from Samsung this time given the fiasco of last year's. The only other reason I didn't order from Sparco is that they aren't listed on the authorized reseller list, which doesn't mean they aren't but as I said last year has me squirrelly.

Looks like we all got our bad experiences.:(

Reactions: sikclown
#5 ·
Looks like we all got our bad experiences.:(
Yup, and I am still currently dealing with the latest fiasco. When will I learn? :rolleyes:

#6 ·
Yup, and I am still currently dealing with the latest fiasco. When will I learn? :rolleyes:

Better yet, when will Samsung get their act together?:confused:

#8 ·
Guys,

I am confused a bit here. I own the 2014 78HU9000 and I am looking for the correct evolution kit. (i.e. new one connect box). Today I pre-ordered the SEK-3500U/ZA. Is this the correct box? I thought it was until I viewed the below webpage that describes the new evolution kit, but does not mention my model as compatible.(webpage was written today) Any input would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.tizenexperts.com/2015/05/...-tvs-to-tizen/

#9 ·
Guys,

I am confused a bit here. I own the 2014 78HU9000 and I am looking for the correct evolution kit. (i.e. new one connect box). Today I pre-ordered the SEK-3500U/ZA. Is this the correct box? I thought it was until I viewed the below webpage that describes the new evolution kit, but does not mention my model as compatible.(webpage was written today) Any input would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.tizenexperts.com/2015/05/...-tvs-to-tizen/
Yes that is the right box. All hu 6900 and up will work. There is a green arrow that lists all compatible TVs.

#11 ·
What TV do you have?
My living room TV (and current brick) is a UN65F9000 with the SEK-2500u. I was one of the first to get last years uhd kit and firmware took awhile to bring it up to speed. Hopefully this year we get the proper firmware at release. My bedroom TV is a UN55HU8550.

#13 ·
can anyone go into detail (without being confusing) as to what the HEVC codecs do exactly? are these codecs for streaming only or do they decode everything that goes up to the tv? Does getting a new HEVC codec allow for us to just stream more from new sites, or is it to improve the quality of the streams?

#14 ·
can anyone go into detail (without being confusing) as to what the HEVC codecs do exactly? are these codecs for streaming only or do they decode everything that goes up to the tv? Does getting a new HEVC codec allow for us to just stream more from new sites, or is it to improve the quality of the streams?
The short of it is they are decoders for the latest 4k formats kind of. YouTube currently uses VP9 for 4k whereas our uhd drive has the movies in HEVC (h.265). Both codecs allow for greater compression than VP8 and h.264/MPEG-4. Just do a search for these codecs on Wikipedia and you will get the gist.

Reactions: siamesenick
#15 ·
The short of it is they are decoders for the latest 4k formats kind of. YouTube currently uses VP9 for 4k whereas our uhd drive has the movies in HEVC (h.265). Both codecs allow for greater compression than VP8 and h.264/MPEG-4. Just do a search for these codecs on Wikipedia and you will get the gist.

ive done quite a bit of reading the past couple hours. im still a little confused if this HEVC 265 is for only streaming purposes or if it included everything including blu ray and cable tv as well.

but i am curious if there are HEVC codecs upgraded in the 2015 OCB compared to the 2014 HU9000 OCB. to understand my question first understand this:

2013 F9000 had HEVC .264
in 2014, codecs were upgraded to HEVC .265 (hu9000 and sek-2500 upgrade)
-for 2015, the same hevc .265 is used, but is it somehow different than last years HEVC .265??

if the 2015 HEVC is the same as the 2014 HEVC, that means the only tv that will "recieve a new HECV codec" is the original 2013 F9000 that did not do the upgrade last year and still has its orginal OCB, so theyd be going from .264 to .265

basically what i was wondering is if the HEVC is responsible for the upscaling algorithms, but i dont think it is.

#17 ·

ive done quite a bit of reading the past couple hours. im still a little confused if this HEVC 265 is for only streaming purposes or if it included everything including blu ray and cable tv as well.

but i am curious if there are HEVC codecs upgraded in the 2015 OCB compared to the 2014 HU9000 OCB. to understand my question first understand this:

2013 F9000 had HEVC .264
in 2014, codecs were upgraded to HEVC .265 (hu9000 and sek-2500 upgrade)
-for 2015, the same hevc .265 is used, but is it somehow different than last years HEVC .265??

if the 2015 HEVC is the same as the 2014 HEVC, that means the only tv that will "recieve a new HECV codec" is the original 2013 F9000 that did not do the upgrade last year and still has its orginal OCB, so theyd be going from .264 to .265

basically what i was wondering is if the HEVC is responsible for the upscaling algorithms, but i dont think it is.
The hevc codec will decode anything that is input into the set either through the Internet or through the sets tuners, for example we in Europe have a 4k test satellite transmission which is broadcast in hevc, the set can then tune and decode the broadcast.

#18 ·

You are correct, it's strictly an encoding/compression scheme and not applicable to scaling.

#20 ·
Hi,
Quick question! Once this I get this, do you guys recommend, re-doing all of my settings? Is that what everyone plans on doing?

Thanks, Jerry
Based on my experience last year upgrading to the sek-2500U, I had to do most of my picture settings all over again even after doing a backup and restore (the install walks you through the steps). Hopefully they fixed that this year but you know instantly after the install. I would make sure to write down all of your settings just in case.