HDR vs Screen Size Comparison - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 7 Unread Today, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 28
HDR vs Screen Size Comparison

Hello my good people. I have a general question about the comparison between HDR and screen size. I have about 4 to 5 TV's on my short list to buy very soon. I'm looking to spend about $5k and want to know people's thoughts on whether to get a 65 inch HDR display, or a 75 inch 4k TV. I currently have the 2 year old Sony 65 inch 900a. Initially I wanted to go bigger and get the 75 inch 850c but have heard HDR could be a game changer. Sony, Samsung, and Panasonic will all have 65 inch HDR displays that could be great once the contect arrives. My question is, is HDR a 14% increase is picture quality as would be going from a 65 to 75 inch TV? Just wanna read some thoughts.... Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Unread Today, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillietalls View Post
Hello my good people. I have a general question about the comparison between HDR and screen size. I have about 4 to 5 TV's on my short list to buy very soon. I'm looking to spend about $5k and want to know people's thoughts on whether to get a 65 inch HDR display, or a 75 inch 4k TV. I currently have the 2 year old Sony 65 inch 900a. Initially I wanted to go bigger and get the 75 inch 850c but have heard HDR could be a game changer. Sony, Samsung, and Panasonic will all have 65 inch HDR displays that could be great once the contect arrives. My question is, is HDR a 14% increase is picture quality as would be going from a 65 to 75 inch TV? Just wanna read some thoughts.... Thanks.
You are asking us to predict the future. There is no HDR content available right now so we have no real idea of how much of a benefit it will be.

There is some 4K content available right now and it looks amazing when compared to 1080p. The difference is so great that you would never watch 1080p over 4K no matter what the content was if you were given the choice.

With HDR it really only matters when there are very bright light sources along with very dark shadows with critical detail in both. That almost never happens with movies because the filmmakers intentionally control the lighting. They make sure that the scene doesn’t have huge dynamic range so that it won’t be an issue for you or your TV.

That being said it will make it easier for filmmakers to film high dynamic range scenes but in all honesty it won’t come into play in a lot of normal real world TV viewing like cable/satellite, major sports, and anything that has “staged” lighting.

4K makes every single video or film look better if done right and at a high enough bandwidth. HDR will just make a few very specific things look better.
post #3 of 7 Unread Today, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillietalls View Post
Chances are the HDR compatible TVs are also higher-end in other ways.

So, essentially you are asking if you should buy a better TV or a bigger TV. Unfortunately, this is kind of a personal decision.

I would say with the X850C what you will be giving up is primarily contrast ratio. The x930C, for example, will be able to display darker blacks and brighter whites.

I would go look at them side by side and then decide.

If it was me I would get the 75. The apparent size difference between 65 and 75 is substantial.
post #4 of 7 Unread Today, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
Chances are the HDR compatible TVs are also higher-end in other ways.
Higher-end or Higher price?
post #5 of 7 Unread Today, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post
Higher-end or Higher price?
Higher-end.

As a vocal advocate for Vizio here on this board you may believe that the Vizio M-Series is just as good as a high-end Samsung or Sony but I don't. Vizio has done a good job of spec matching. They figure out the specs others are highlighting and deliver them. 4k, check. FALD, check. Unfortunately, with TVs it is not only about checking the boxes, it is about implementation.

When the new FALD Vizios came out I was actually pretty excited, but after seeing them in person, not so much. When I compare the overall picture quality of a Vizio to a nearby Samsung JS9500 there was no comparison. There is a noticeable material difference in PQ. Also, this is coming from someone who doesn't really love the JS9500. It was just what happened to be nearest.

Now, lets be clear, there is also a noticeable and material difference in cost between those two TVs. The point is that Vizio is a good value. But you are getting a substantially lesser TV for a substantially lesser cost. It is not a situation where you are getting 85% of the performance for the 30% of the cost.
post #6 of 7 Unread Today, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Higher-end.

As a vocal advocate for Vizio here on this board you may believe that the Vizio M-Series is just as good as a high-end Samsung or Sony but I don't. Vizio has done a good job of spec matching. They figure out the specs others are highlighting and deliver them. 4k, check. FALD, check. Unfortunately, with TVs it is not only about checking the boxes, it is about implementation.

When the new FALD Vizios came out I was actually pretty excited, but after seeing them in person, not so much. When I compare the overall picture quality of a Vizio to a nearby Samsung JS9500 there was no comparison. There is a noticeable material difference in PQ. Also, this is coming from someone who doesn't really love the JS9500. It was just what happened to be nearest.

Now, lets be clear, there is also a noticeable and material difference in cost between those two TVs. The point is that Vizio is a good value. But you are getting a substantially lesser TV for a substantially lesser cost. It is not a situation where you are getting 85% of the performance for the 30% of the cost.
Were they displaying the exact same thing and were you able to adjust the settings on both TVs to your liking? That is the one thing I haven’t found yet. I have not been able to visually compare the newest Vizio TVs to the newest High End sets from other manufactures in a true 1:1 comparison.

I have seen all of the sets displaying gorgeous 4K that looks stunning on all of them. However, it is always something different on each Brand of TV so I couldn’t draw any comparison conclusions.

Also you can’t judge a TV without adjusting the settings. You can’t possibly know what the motion blur is like on a TV without confirming that motion interpolation is turned off. In the same regard you can’t judge colors and detail without adjusting the settings to your liking.

From what I have seen all of the TVs including the higher end TVs and the low price Vizio TVs can be adjusted to fit my needs. I haven’t seen any of the 2015 TVs that have issues that I couldn’t accept or remedy with a settings adjustment. Therefore, it all comes down to price for me.

I keep hearing that these high end TVs do things that the Vizio TVs can’t do and how much better they are for everything else. However, the only thing I have seen that they can’t do is 3D and quite honestly in the detail, upscaling, input lag, off axis viewing, Number of Inputs, Resolution & Frame Rate support, and remote control features they are on par with everything else.

The only place where there could be an issue is in Motion interpolation. However, the reviews rate the other TVs as having much better motion blur without using motion interpolation than the Vizio’s. From the pictures they posted I don’t see how they came to that conclusion though. Both TVs look to have similar motion blur without using motion interpolation.

post #7 of 7 Unread Today, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Wink

Quote:
Higher-end.

As a vocal advocate for Vizio here on this board
I am not just an advocate for Vizio TVs. I am an advocate of “Value for your $$$$”. It doesn’t matter who makes the TV to me. If I see a TV that I think offers more and better(or at least equivalent) features for less I think that is a good thing. I will sing the praises of any TV that I think offers good value for the price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page