Vizio M70-C3 or Sony XBR70X850B....? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By dalto
post #1 of 14 Unread Today, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Vizio M70-C3 or Sony XBR70X850B....?

This may sound like a stupid question, but which one should i choose? I know both sets are 4k and upscale regular HD to 4k, but which set is the best bang for my buck? I was debating the Vizio over a 75" Samsung 1080p set since 4k is still a new format. However, after doing more research, Direct TV is about to launch their second 4k satellite in May, which will provide even more 4k content.

With the Sony recently receiving a hefty price drop, i'm now contemplating purchasing it over the Vizio. I checked rtings.com for a review on the Sony, but i do not believe they've reviewed the TV and probably won't since it's a 2014 model.

Just based off of the MSRP, i would surmise the Sony to be the superior TV, but that isn't always the case. If anyone can give me their input on which TV to get i would be very appreciative.

Also, can anyone recommend a good Receiver that will work with a Xbox 1, PS4, Apple TV and Direct TV box? I'd like to get something that won't be obselete in 2 years and also won't break the bank. I have 3 more TV's to buy for a new house i'm building.

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Unread Today, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Also, maybe a better question to ask is if i have $3k to spend on a 70" TV, which one to get? Samsung, Sony, LG, Vizio, etc....
post #3 of 14 Unread Today, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 71
As for the M3 vs the X850C, the Sony is a better overall TV. That's pretty much indisputable.

Samsung, Sony, LG, Sharp, Vizio, Panasonic... they all make great TVs. If you want advice on that broad of a question, at least provide some details about what is important to you? Picture quality? Display lag? Smart features? Motion? But, in the end, you need to go look at them yourself and decide. It doesn't matter what I think or what some tally of number on a site thinks, all that matters is that you get what looks best to you.
post #4 of 14 Unread Today, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownhero View Post
Samsung, Sony, LG, Sharp, Vizio, Panasonic... they all make great TVs. If you want advice on that broad of a question, at least provide some details about what is important to you? Picture quality? Display lag? Smart features? Motion?
Yes, this. Also, what kind of material are you currently watching?

It really depends what your priorities are. Between those TVs there are pros/cons in each direction.
mpgxsvcd likes this.
post #5 of 14 Unread Today, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
As for the M3 vs the X850C, the Sony is a better overall TV. That's pretty much indisputable.

Samsung, Sony, LG, Sharp, Vizio, Panasonic... they all make great TVs. If you want advice on that broad of a question, at least provide some details about what is important to you? Picture quality? Display lag? Smart features? Motion? But, in the end, you need to go look at them yourself and decide. It doesn't matter what I think or what some tally of number on a site thinks, all that matters is that you get what looks best to you.
The primary use for the TV will be watching Sports, AMC/HBO/Showtime, children's cartoons, some light video gaming and an occasional movie. As crazy as it sounds, the subdivision i'm moving into doesn't have internet and my only options are satellite internet or a cellular hot spot. We hope to have internet by early 2016, so once that happens i will start back streaming with Netflix, Apple TV, etc and will be able to take advantage of 4k programming via Netflix, Amazon and Direct TV on Demand.

The most important factors to me are Picture Quality and Display lag. I have an xbox 1, PS4 and Apple TV, so i doubt i'll use the smart TV features over what i currently have access to. Also, 3D TV isn't a big deal to me.

Last edited by Jason Barto; Today at 07:30 AM.
post #6 of 14 Unread Today, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Barto View Post
The primary use for the TV will be watching Sports, children's cartoons, some light video gaming and an occasional movie. As crazy as it sounds, the subdivision i'm moving into doesn't have internet and my only options are satellite internet or a cellular hot spot. We hope to have internet by early 2016, so once that happens i will start back streaming with Netflix, Apple TV, etc and will be able to take advantage of 4k programming via Netflix, Amazon and Direct TV on Demand.

The most important factors to me are Picture Quality and Display lag. I have an xbox 1, PS4 and Apple TV, so i doubt i'll use the smart TV features over what i currently have access to. Also, 3D TV isn't a big deal to me.
Based on those criteria, I really think the X850B suits you well. Motion for sports? Check. Low display lag for gaming? Check. High quality picture quality and color accuracy? Check.

But again, it's not a hard and fast science. You might like the way an M3 looks over an 850B, who knows. Crazier things have happened If you are buying them blindly, I'd try the Sony first. That's certainly what I would choose.
post #7 of 14 Unread Today, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Based on those criteria, I really think the X850B suits you well. Motion for sports? Check. Low display lag for gaming? Check. High quality picture quality and color accuracy? Check.

But again, it's not a hard and fast science. You might like the way an M3 looks over an 850B, who knows. Crazier things have happened If you are buying them blindly, I'd try the Sony first. That's certainly what I would choose.
Thank you sir for the reply and input. I'm going to keep doing some more research, but at this point i think spending the extra $800 is probably worth it. I went to Best Buy and Sams last night to see the Vizio and it's a great looking TV. I didn't see Sony's price drop until i got home last night, so i need to go back to Best Buy and see if they have the TV on display so i can do a comparison.

Thanks again!
post #8 of 14 Unread Today, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Cool

Quote:
from rtings.com
"Our overall score is a weighted average of our individual tests, so yes, overall, Vizio TVs have better picture quality."

According to rtings.com the Vizio is a better overall TV and they tested both side by side. That looks like indisputable evidence to me.
post #9 of 14 Unread Today, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post
from rtings.com
"Our overall score is a weighted average of our individual tests, so yes, overall, Vizio TVs have better picture quality."

According to rtings.com the Vizio is a better overall TV and they tested both side by side. That looks like indisputable evidence to me.
Touche, thanks for pointing that out. I disagree with rtings in the results of their "weighted average". And I don't think that will hold up over time, I think these Sony's are running very early firmware that is going to drastically improve. Even if not, I certainly found the Sony set to be on another level than the M series -- but that isn't to say the M series is bad. It looked great, in fact. It's really a win/win situation with TVs right now.
post #10 of 14 Unread Today, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Wink

Quote:
Thank you sir for the reply and input. I'm going to keep doing some more research, but at this point i think spending the extra $800 is probably worth it. I went to Best Buy and Sams last night to see the Vizio and it's a great looking TV. I didn't see Sony's price drop until i got home last night, so i need to go back to Best Buy and see if they have the TV on display so i can do a comparison.

Thanks again!
Not sure about last year’s 850B model since it wasn’t reviewed. However, let me clear up some misinformation about this year’s 850C since that was mentioned as an “indisputably better TV”. Here are some cold hard facts about the 850C and the 2015 Vizio M-series TVs based on my Vizio M55 and the rtings.com reviews of the new Sony and Vizio TVs.

You will get better Contrast, Black uniformity, Grey Uniformity, Upscaling, and Input lag with the Vizio M-series than you will on the 850C. That is based on the rtings.com review and my own experience with the TVs. You will also get excellent Local Dimming with the Vizio and more HDMI inputs.

You will also get the exact same resolution and frame rate support for both TVs. They both support 1080p @ 120 FPS and 4K @ 30 FPS 4:4:4.

With the Sony 850C you won’t get Netflix out of the box but that doesn’t matter since you don’t have good internet. With the Vizio you won’t get 4K youtube support but it does support 1080p youtube. Again this is probably irrelevant based on your internet issue.

Read up on both TVs and go experience them for yourself. Take what everyone says(including my own advice) with a grain of salt. Everyone has their own bias. It is up to you to figure out which TV actually fits your needs and budget the best based on the information provided and your own experience with the TVs in the stores.
post #11 of 14 Unread Today, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Wink

Quote:
Touche, thanks for pointing that out. I disagree with rtings in the results of their "weighted average". And I don't think that will hold up over time, I think these Sony's are running very early firmware that is going to drastically improve. Even if not, I certainly found the Sony set to be on another level than the M series -- but that isn't to say the M series is bad. It looked great, in fact. It's really a win/win situation with TVs right now.
Yes I have a problem with their weighted averages as well. I take no issue with their testing methods but some of their conclusion just don’t line up with their testing data.

I am curious though as to what Picture Quality improvements you think the firmware will bring? Improved black levels? Better Input lag? Better Uniformity? I am not sure any of those things could really be improved with firmware.

When you said “on another level” can you define exactly what was better? I found the exact opposite when I compared them. I found that the Sony 850C lacked the shadow detail that the Vizio has after adjusting the settings. To be fair I wasn’t able to adjust the Sony TV. However, rtings.com was able to adjust both TVs and they still say that the Vizio has better overall image quality.

The FALD on the Vizio is great in my experience. When I adjusted the settings properly FALD gives be the black levels and shadow detail that I desire.
post #12 of 14 Unread Today, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post
Yes I have a problem with their weighted averages as well. I take no issue with their testing methods but some of their conclusion just don’t line up with their testing data.

I am curious though as to what Picture Quality improvements you think the firmware will bring? Improved black levels? Better Input lag? Better Uniformity? I am not sure any of those things could really be improved with firmware.

When you said “on another level” can you define exactly what was better? I found the exact opposite when I compared them. I found that the Sony 850C lacked the shadow detail that the Vizio has after adjusting the settings. To be fair I wasn’t able to adjust the Sony TV. However, rtings.com was able to adjust both TVs and they still say that the Vizio has better overall image quality.

The FALD on the Vizio is great in my experience. When I adjusted the settings properly FALD gives be the black levels and shadow detail that I desire.
Firmware can improve things like display lag and upscaling. Black uniformity isn't a problem on these sets, and keep in mind they reviewed the edge-lit version (55"). Gray uniformity is "meh" on both sets, but the M series was described as having "dirty screen effect" while the 850C was specifically described as having "very little" of it. Frankly, I don't care about it unless it affects normal viewing. But, that's the X850C, let's keep in mind that the OP is asking about the X850B.

Sony sets generally handle motion and color accuracy better, particularly motion. I've found consistently over the years that Sony TVs (and, mind you, I haven't owned a Sony TV in 8+ years) just do something different that others don't. I like the more natural looking picture and motion handling. I gave the OP my opinion, you're free to give yours.

EDIT: Correction

Last edited by ktownhero; Today at 09:17 AM.
post #13 of 14 Unread Today, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys for all of the advice. I'm going to hold tight for another week or 2 as i get closer to moving into the house and i'll continue to do research prior to making the decision. Who knows, maybe another brand/model will catch my eye.
post #14 of 14 Unread Today, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys for all of the advice. I'm going to hold tight for another week or 2 as i get closer to moving into the house and i'll continue to do research prior to making the decision. Who knows, maybe another brand/model will catch my eye.
Look out for the Sharp UH30 series. They look quite interesting...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays