PSA for new Sony 4k TV owners -- How to use Netflix until it is officially released - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By ktownhero
  • 1 Post By Tallon
post #1 of 9 Old Today, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Exclamation PSA for new Sony 4k TV owners -- How to use Netflix until it is officially released

For those of you that aren't aware, there is a way to use Netflix on your 4k TV even though the app has not been released yet. And it's not a hack -- it's a legitimate way to do it, and may not be a feature that you are aware of. Android TV supports "Google Cast", what does that mean? It means any app on an Android, iOS device or the Chrome browser that supports Google cast can be sent to your TV. So, open up Netflix on your iPhone, iPad, Android phone or tablet... or even via your Mac or PC via Chrome, and there will be a "cast" button that looks like a rectangle. Choose your TV (whatever you named it) and voila, you have Netflix. Now, mind you, this will not support 4k, but you will still get high quality 1080p streams that these TVs upconvert excellently. This also works for other popular apps like YouTube, Pandora, Plex and many, many others. An app doesn't need to be "installed" on your TV to work this way.

Google Cast is automatically enabled with the set up of your TV (I don't even think it requires a Google account, but you ought to have one anyway). All you need is for your other device to be on the same network either wired or wirelessly.

Let me know if you have any questions and I hope this helps at least one person
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Today, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can't you simply use Apple TV if you own one? What about a Xbox 1 or PS4?
post #3 of 9 Old Today, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Barto View Post
Can't you simply use Apple TV if you own one? What about a Xbox 1 or PS4?
Sure. But you can also use it via the method I described which requires no external device.
post #4 of 9 Unread Today, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownhero View Post
Sure. But you can also use it via the method I described which requires no external device.
I didn’t realize your phone isn’t an external device? Just kidding. Thanks for the update. I am surprised that it is able to transmit the full 1080p video. Is this over bluetooth or wireless?
post #5 of 9 Unread Today, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post
I didn’t realize your phone isn’t an external device?

EDIT: I just saw your edit, so I now see you were joking

It works over your Wifi network. It's essentially a Chromecast built into the TV (all Android TV boxes like the Forge TV, Nexus Player and now Sony/Sharp TVs support this). It doesn't "pass" the video/audio from your phone, it hands over the entire application to your device, in this case the TV, which then directly interacts with Netflix/Pandora/Google Play Movies/et al. Your phone/tablet/computer then has nothing to do with the audio/video transmission except that you can use it as a remote, if you want. But once the application is "Cast" to the TV, the TV remote works as well.

This is the big advantage that Google Cast has over Apple's Airplay. Apple's Airplay streams directly from the device which kills the battery and requires that it is on/in the area. With Android, you can cast Netflix to your TV, turn your phone off, then open up Netflix on your wife's phone and play/pause the video from there. Then she can drive to the grocery store with her phone, you can turn yours back and and switch over to Pandora music. Just an elaborate example of how it works independently from the originating device
mpgxsvcd likes this.

Last edited by ktownhero; Today at 09:09 AM.
post #6 of 9 Unread Today, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I didn’t realize your phone isn’t an external device? Just kidding. Thanks for the update. I am surprised that it is able to transmit the full 1080p video. Is this over bluetooth or wireless?
Wireless. The casting works like the Chromecast: your phone tells the TV a URL to connect to and it establishes it's own direct connection. Your device can control the cast via the local network.
mpgxsvcd likes this.
post #7 of 9 Unread Today, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I tried it on my X830C Netflix didn't work. HBO GO also didn't work, but Youtube, CBS, many other supported Apps do work. I'll try it again later today since Android TV is kind of buggy.
post #8 of 9 Unread Today, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownhero View Post
EDIT: I just saw your edit, so I now see you were joking

It works over your Wifi network. It's essentially a Chromecast built into the TV (all Android TV boxes like the Forge TV, Nexus Player and now Sony/Sharp TVs support this). It doesn't "pass" the video/audio from your phone, it hands over the entire application to your device, in this case the TV, which then directly interacts with Netflix/Pandora/Google Play Movies/et al. Your phone/tablet/computer then has nothing to do with the audio/video transmission except that you can use it as a remote, if you want. But once the application is "Cast" to the TV, the TV remote works as well.

This is the big advantage that Google Cast has over Apple's Airplay. Apple's Airplay streams directly from the device which kills the battery and requires that it is on/in the area. With Android, you can cast Netflix to your TV, turn your phone off, then open up Netflix on your wife's phone and play/pause the video from there. Then she can drive to the grocery store with her phone, you can turn yours back and and switch over to Pandora music. Just an elaborate example of how it works independently from the originating device
That is just freaking cool. "Yes please". I would definitely want that feature.
post #9 of 9 Unread Today, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
That is just freaking cool. "Yes please". I would definitely want that feature.
A Chromecast only costs $35, $25 on sale sometimes. You can use it on any TV, it's only the size of a USB drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page