No good TV's in the $1600-1900 range? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By dalto
  • 1 Post By osudelt69
  • 1 Post By Jordan Clan
  • 1 Post By cdepaola

post #1 of 15 Old 05-24-2015, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
No good TV's in the $1600-1900 range?

Looking for a new TV and it has become excessively depressing as every time I start to think I've found a decent option I end up reading about all the problems with any given set. Its very frustrating.

Started looking at the Sharp Q+ LC-70UQ17U or the TQ version with high hopes and then all I read is about how poor the PQ is.

Next I look at the Vizio M65-C1 and again nothing but negative posts and reviews, plus its only 65" and I'm working hard to find something decent @ 70"

Anyone care to chime in with suggestions or recommendations?

I'm upgrading from a 50" G15 plasma in a large 30' x 15' family room, the set is mounted about 6' off the ground above a fireplace. I've got good light control in the room. Seating distance is about 10-12'. I watch some sports but not a ton, and we watch very little in the way of movies. Even when we do watch movies its just off our AppleTV, can't tell you the last time I used a bluray.

Please help....

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-24-2015, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 97
You are looking in the wrong place.

Be aware that many of the people here are videophiles who have very high standards for picture quality. Combine that with the inherent issues in LCD TVs and you will quickly discover that only the highest-end sets are worth having.

The Vizio M65-C1 is really not a bad TV, especially for the price and given the fact that it is actually 4K.

If you don't care about black levels than LG has some nice offerings with good viewing angles.

The Sony 65W850C is also in that price range.

I will say that a quality 70" TV is going to be hard to he for less than 1900.

I would recommend you go look at them and judge for yourself.
mpgxsvcd likes this.
post #3 of 15 Old 05-24-2015, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I second Dalto's post here. Really what it boils down to is what looks good to you. In other words, go out to your local stores and view them with your own eyes. If you get sucked into the online research too much, it'll just confuse you even more, especially if you're just a casual TV viewer. Like Dalto said, this place is a hangout for "aficionados" when it comes to Audio/Video gear.

Just trust your own eyes when making the purchase. Spend lots of time with each set that interests you and ask the salesperson to give you the remote so you can familiarize yourself with the set. Another thing to consider too if you shop locally is open box items. Sometimes you can score a really nice open box/display model for much less $$ with full warranty and standard return policy.

Good luck!
post #4 of 15 Old 05-24-2015, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1224
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumguy91 View Post
I second Dalto's post here. Really what it boils down to is what looks good to you. In other words, go out to your local stores and view them with your own eyes. If you get sucked into the online research too much, it'll just confuse you even more, especially if you're just a casual TV viewer. Like Dalto said, this place is a hangout for "aficionados" when it comes to Audio/Video gear.

Just trust your own eyes when making the purchase. Spend lots of time with each set that interests you and ask the salesperson to give you the remote so you can familiarize yourself with the set. Another thing to consider too if you shop locally is open box items. Sometimes you can score a really nice open box/display model for much less $$ with full warranty and standard return policy.

Good luck!
Unfortunately, if you watch in a light-controlled environment, the only way to evaluate a TV is to bring it home - the bright showroom floor might expose a few glaring weaknesses, but black levels can only be tested in the dark.

The 2014 Vizio P70 is the best value in a 70" TV and as long as plasma-like off-angle viewing is not a priority for you, delivers better black levels and effective contrast than and other 70" TV costing $2000.

The 2015 M70 is basically the same TV with half the dimming zones and legs instead of a stand and many claim it delivers similar picture quality, but I have no direct experience with that TV...
post #5 of 15 Old 05-24-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Unfortunately, if you watch in a light-controlled environment, the only way to evaluate a TV is to bring it home - the bright showroom floor might expose a few glaring weaknesses, but black levels can only be tested in the dark.
Understood. He'll have 30 or 45 days (depending where he bought it) to evaluate the TV once it's hooked up in his home. Thanks to the return policy.
post #6 of 15 Old 05-24-2015, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input and yeah I understand most folks here are videophiles. While not a videophile myself there are things that as a plasma guy bug me about LCD like motion blur and the darn soap opera affect. Hate those with a passion and I pick them up quickly.

The 2014 vizio would be a good option if I could actually find one not selling way over retail. For the prices I've seen I could pick up a 65" F8500.

Thanks again, appreciate all the input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris
post #7 of 15 Old 05-24-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdepaola View Post
Thanks for the input and yeah I understand most folks here are videophiles. While not a videophile myself there are things that as a plasma guy bug me about LCD like motion blur and the darn soap opera affect. Hate those with a passion and I pick them up quickly.

The 2014 vizio would be a good option if I could actually find one not selling way over retail. For the prices I've seen I could pick up a 65" F8500.

Thanks again, appreciate all the input

If you're able to get your hands on an F8500, then that'll be more than enough TV to hold you over for awhile. A terrific set.

Since you seem to be keen on plasma, there are still a few to be had online. You just have to scour the internet to find them for a reasonable price. Another source to consider is craigslist for used plasma sets. A co-worker of mine picked up a "like new" 65" Panasonic VT60 plasma last week for $700 with 3 yrs. of warranty left from craigslist. It had 1168 hours on it.

Hope you find something worthwhile, whether it's plasma or lcd.
post #8 of 15 Old 05-24-2015, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I just bought sharp lc70sq17u. The picture is fantastic! I highly recommend it. This is coming from a Panasonic plasma owner. Great colors and doesn't have that artificially led look like Samsung and LG screens.

Check it out
mpgxsvcd likes this.
post #9 of 15 Old Today, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Looking for a new TV and it has become excessively depressing as every time I start to think I've found a decent option I end up reading about all the problems with any given set. Its very frustrating.

Started looking at the Sharp Q+ LC-70UQ17U or the TQ version with high hopes and then all I read is about how poor the PQ is.

Next I look at the Vizio M65-C1 and again nothing but negative posts and reviews, plus its only 65" and I'm working hard to find something decent @ 70"

I'm upgrading from a 50" G15 plasma in a large 30' x 15' family room, the set is mounted about 6' off the ground above a fireplace. I've got good light control in the room. Seating distance is about 10-12'. I watch some sports but not a ton, and we watch very little in the way of movies. Even when we do watch movies its just off our AppleTV, can't tell you the last time I used a bluray.

Please help....

I bought the M65 C1 over the weekend and I like it very much. 4k is stunning on this tv, though 4k programs are few and far between. I am not certain why people would say this is a bad TV, because IMO it is not. It wasn't worth the additional $400 to go from 65 to 70 for me personally. I used that money towards a new sound bar system.
mpgxsvcd likes this.
post #10 of 15 Old Today, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:

Please help....
Every TV has issues. Sony’s have them. Samsung TVs have them. And Yes Vizio have them. However, some of these issues don’t effect everyone. For instance the new Sony TVs don’t have support for Netflix at all “yet”. They will get it soon enough and some people don’t watch Netflix so that wouldn’t bother them.
Vizio TVs don’t and won’t support youtube in 4K. They will support 1080p and below youtube but not the 4K streams. That affects some people and not others.

The 2015 M-series Vizio TVs also have an issue with their motion interpolation. However, that only affects the people who like to use motion interpolation and who can put up with the Soap Opera Effect. Not many people like SOE so it probably doesn’t affect everyone since you can still turn the SOE off completely even with the bug.

Really you are best to put all of your wants and needs in order from the most important to least important. Then determine which TV fits those needs the best in your price range.

If you listened to everyone here about which is the best TV then you would never buy one because every TV has numerous complaints against it.
post #11 of 15 Old Today, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

The 2014 Vizio P70 is the best value in a 70" TV and as long as plasma-like off-angle viewing is not a priority for you, delivers better black levels and effective contrast than and other 70" TV costing $2000.

The 2015 M70 is basically the same TV with half the dimming zones and legs instead of a stand and many claim it delivers similar picture quality, but I have no direct experience with that TV...
+1. Watching and compare TVs in a bright showroom floor is not the right way to chose a TV set. In the last two weeks I returned four (4) TVs that looked very well in my local BB but in my bedroom they looked just horrible. I did return these models: Sony W600B, Sony W800B, Sony X830C and Vizio M50. The Vizio was the most decent out of the four but at the end I did not like the color, so I returned it as well. Then I tried the Samsung JU6500 and I loved it. IMHO it is the best out of the 5 I tried and in my budget. The Samsung UN65JU6500 is only $200 more of your budget but it's worthy of consideration.

Best Regards,

Enrico Castagnetti
Rythmik Audio

My Multimedia Room Gallery

post #12 of 15 Old Today, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
+1. Watching and compare TVs in a bright showroom floor is not the right way to chose a TV set. In the last two weeks I returned four (4) TVs that looked very well in my local BB but in my bedroom they looked just horrible. I did return these models: Sony W600B, Sony W800B, Sony X830C and Vizio M50. The Vizio was the most decent out of the four but at the end I did not like the color, so I returned it as well. Then I tried the Samsung JU6500 and I loved it. IMHO it is the best out of the 5 I tried and in my budget. The Samsung UN65JU6500 is only $200 more of your budget but it's worthy of consideration.
Did you adjust the settings for any of those TVs? If so did you use a calibration disc on any of them?

All TVs are made to look good in a showroom by default. If you try them in a dark room without properly calibrating them they probably won't look good.
post #13 of 15 Old Today, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Well just happened into CostCo today and they had one P702ui-B3 left and heavily discounted. Needless to say I took it.

Adventure done!

mpgxsvcd likes this.

Chris
post #14 of 15 Old Today, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well just happened into CostCo today and they had one P702ui-B3 left and heavily discounted. Needless to say I took it.

Adventure done!

Make sure you calibrate it. Ask around to see what a good starting point for settings is. No TV will look good straight out of the box.
post #15 of 15 Old Today, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post
Did you adjust the settings for any of those TVs? If so did you use a calibration disc on any of them?

All TVs are made to look good in a showroom by default. If you try them in a dark room without properly calibrating them they probably won't look good.
I did calibrate all of them with Disney WOW and DVE HD Basic during night hours with all the lights off. The worts out of the 5 was the X830C. I did return that one due the low contrast and uniformity issues. The next day I returned it Rtings published their review and the contrast ratio they measured was 741:1. It has an IPS panel. The W600B was really good in terms of uniformity and contrast but it suffers of a production problem. On the top of the corners you can see a line of 1" of dead pixels due the pressure during assembling (is does not use screws). This issue is related to the model itself because I tried two TV sets (one from Amazon and one from Best Buy) and both of them showed the same issue. The W800B was good too but it had uniformity problems and 3 dead pixels, it has the better contrast of all, though. The Vizio was very good but I didn't like the colors and it does not fit on my stand. The Samsung has less contrast than the W600B and the W800B but it is the most uniform out of the five. Also the colors of the Samsung are more vivid and easy to calibrate.

Best Regards,

Enrico Castagnetti
Rythmik Audio

My Multimedia Room Gallery

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays